Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
1280 BT Access to be barred by some call suppliers (Read 49,613 times)
irrelevant

Re: 1280 BT Access to be barred by some call suppl
Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:10am

The current Sky Talk Terms and Conditions say
Quote:
5.1 We may restrict your ability to make calls using a prefix number to access a different telephone provider ("Indirect Access Calls") at any time by giving reasonable notice to you.

Were you given any notice at all?  If not, then they are in breach of contract.  At the very least, you should be given a refund for all the calls they didn't allow you to make.  I'd suggest you take the oportunity to cancel the contract, too, and find a better supplier for your 'phone calls.

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:40pm

i am planning to quit sky talk, i am wondering anybody can give some ideas about a new service provider with free evening and week end calls. i know primus saver 2 is a good option, but who knows they will also restrict over riding CPS.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:54pm

gudman wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:40pm:
i am planning to quit sky talk, i am wondering anybody can give some ideas about a new service provider with free evening and week end calls. i know primus saver 2 is a good option, but who knows they will also restrict over riding CPS.

There's always BT... £10.50 per month for free evening/weekend calls (if you sign up for 12 months), free caller ID, and the rules prohibit them from blocking any numbers for cheap international calls, etc. You can also use prefixes for cheap daytime calls should you need to.

If you're worried about companies blocking CPS override, the only alternative to BT is to take your line rental from someone else - there's no advantage in sticking with BT line rental if you can't make calls through them.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 3:08pm

jrawle wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:54pm:
gudman wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:40pm:

There's always BT... £10.50 per month for free evening/weekend calls (if you sign up for 12 months), free caller ID, and the rules prohibit them from blocking any numbers for cheap international calls, etc. You can also use prefixes for cheap daytime calls should you need to.

If you're worried about companies blocking CPS override, the only alternative to BT is to take your line rental from someone else - there's no advantage in sticking with BT line rental if you can't make calls through them.

Remember with BT if you do not pay by direct debit or do not agree to have a 'paperless bill' you will get charged extra. However I have to say that I have my telephone line rental, all calls and broadband connection with BT and they have never ever given me any trouble.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 3:11pm

jrawle wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:54pm:

Many, but not all, companies will allow you to access their service by dialing a shortcode before the number.  CPS, Carrier Pre-Selection, was brought in to provide a "default provider" for your calls should you not dial the code, and is therefore beneficial to providers, hence why some insist on it now.

If you specifically don't allow a call provider to instigate CPS on your line, but opt to always dial their access code, then BT is still your default, nobody can do anything about it, and you can pick and choose per-call.  Or get a dialer box to dial the code for you.

As for whom to use, there is a plethora of companies available.  It depends on your calling pattern - i.e. how many, how long, where to, and when your calls are.  this post is a good starting point.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 5:43pm

Remember unless an official complaint is made to Ofcom that this goes against the whole idea of CPS and the fact that Sky haven't informed anyone, then Sky will get away with it and if they do then its possible other CPS providers will follow suite.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:20pm

irrelevant wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 3:11pm:
Many, but not all, companies will allow you to access their service by dialing a shortcode before the number.  CPS, Carrier Pre-Selection, was brought in to provide a "default provider" for your calls should you not dial the code, and is therefore beneficial to providers, hence why some insist on it now.

That's what I meant by, "You can also use prefixes for cheap daytime calls should you need to." If CPS providers are now allowed to block the override number, having BT as the default is the only way to be sure you can make calls via BT as desired.

IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:42pm

irrelevant wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:10am:
The current Sky Talk Terms and Conditions say
Quote:
5.1 We may restrict your ability to make calls using a prefix number to access a different telephone provider ("Indirect Access Calls") at any time by giving reasonable notice to you.

Were you given any notice at all?  If not, then they are in breach of contract.  At the very least, you should be given a refund for all the calls they didn't allow you to make.  I'd suggest you take the oportunity to cancel the contract, too, and find a better supplier for your 'phone calls.

Yet Part A. 4.5   Says . If you are a Sky Talk Calls only customer, some calls may not be carried by Sky Talk (e.g. reverse charge calls, some calls to directory enquiries, calls made to emergency numbers and some internet calls). These calls will be automatically routed via your line rental provider and may appear on your line rental provider’s bill.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:57pm by oldharryrocks »  

IP Logged

yogibear

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:02pm

I use www.18866.com for phone calls you just pay the connection fee 4or 5p,free calls after 1900 for an hour but you have to hang up and redial free at weekends too same script,I have the post office for line rental ,while I am on I have just rang Sky at 1245 on 01506 421884 Grin using my 18866 prefix it cost me 4p

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #24 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:53pm

It is definitely BT Wholesale which dreamt up Wholesale Calls Line Independent, in full knowledge that CPs that take WCLI gain control of Openreach lines that consumers are paying BT Retail to use.

Ofcom's latest response to my complaint about this scam is:

03 October 2008

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

We are currently in discussions with BT to clarify the situation and will respond to you as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

:: John Ingham

I have responded as follows:
Thank you. As one of the citizen-consumers that Ofcom serves, may I summarise the legal position.

1. BT Wholesale appears to have slipped WCLI past Ofcom with the lie that it is equivalent to CPS.

2. BT Retail has purported to introduce a new condition 3 for domestic telephony which is plainly unfair, and therefore void.

(see this link)

3. Sky is, so I read in several web forums but cannot personally confirm, slamming from CPS to WCLI consumers who are paying BT Retail for use of an Openreach line, and also taking SkyTalk (or whatever they call it).

4. In these circumstances, if the consumer instructs BT Retail to route a call via BT, by using the 1280 prefix, BT is contractually bound to obey that instruction, and only BT (Retail) can bill the consumer for that call.  If Sky bills the consumer for the call, the consumer has no contractual obligation to pay Sky for it. On the contrary, the consumer should insist that he instructed BT to carry the call, and if BT has capriciously subcontracted it to Sky, Sky must look to BT for payment.

5. Moreover, the consumer has claims for damages against BT Retail for misrepresentation, against BT Wholesale for inducing a breach of the contract between BT Retail and the consumer, and, if Sky persists in seeking payment, against Sky for harassment for payment of a non-existent debt.

6. Finally, all this seems to me to be prima facie evidence of a conspiracy between BT Wholesale, BT Retail, and Sky. If so, Ofcom should not only be regulating against it, but also informing the police.

# Link edited ~ DaveM
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:58pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #25 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:15pm

Caller display is free as part of the privacy package

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:19pm

a very nice man wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:15pm:

I presume you are referring to BT Privacy which requires the subscriber to make two chargeable calls per month. If the 1280 prefix is barred from a particular CPS provider, then this will not be possible and BT Privacy will cost £1.75 per month.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #27 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:00pm

Dave wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:19pm:
a very nice man wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:15pm:

I presume you are referring to BT Privacy which requires the subscriber to make two chargeable calls per month. If the 1280 prefix is barred from a particular CPS provider, then this will not be possible and BT Privacy will cost £1.75 per month.

I was concerned about this when BT moved from 5p/hour calls to free calls for an hour, as I rarely make any other calls, so might be charged for caller ID. However, they have now changed the terms and conditions to say it's free for "customers who make at least six inclusive or chargeable calls (excludes calls made with BT Broadband Talk) with BT every three months." Similar wording is used for free 1571 (although you just have to make "some" calls). The total number of inclusive calls is now listed on the BT bill. Of course, this won't apply to people who use CPS.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:21pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:00pm:
… However, they have now changed the terms and conditions to say it's free for "customers who make at least six inclusive or chargeable calls (excludes calls made with BT Broadband Talk) with BT every three months." …

Thanks. I didn't realise this.

The main page detailing BT Privacy which I linked to only mentions chargeable calls in the small print at the bottom, although it does provide a link to the terms and conditions which are as you've said.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #29 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:16pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:00pm:
... this won't apply to people who use CPS.

Er, it will apply to BT Retail customers who use honest CPS of another provider, because Ofcom requires that the customer can over-ride honest CPS by using access codes including of course 1280.  The trouble is that at present it does not apply to people who have been slammed from honest CPS to BT Wholesale's evil 'Wholesale Calls Line Independent' product.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge