Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Site Fault - "The Connection Has Been Reset" (Read 20,399 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Site Fault - "The Connection Has Been Reset"
Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I am currently regularly receiving a message from the site saying "The Connection Has Been Reset" when clicking on links in post update emails to access new posts or after editing posts and trying to save them.  It is then suggested that I might like to "Try Again" and I then reach the intended page on the site.

I am not getting this fault with any other website or web discussion forum I am visiting and I am experiencing this problem both on an Entanet broadband connection and on a Be Unlimited one.

Can Dave or Daniel shed any more light on this?
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:13pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Site Fault - "The Connection Has Been Reset"
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:05pm

Can you give more information about what browers you are using and maybe any firewall or other security software?

I don't have this problem and you have it on two different broadband providers so it's possibly a software/security setting and maybe this forum?!?

Do you visit any other forums powered by YaBB 2.1 by any chance?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:17pm

The problem has only been happening to me with www.saynoto0870.com (and with no other websites or forums even now) for the last 10 days or so.  I am using Firefox 2.0.0.14  I tend to assume that when Firefox 3 is actually stable and reliable enough that Mozilla may encourage me and other Firefox users to upgrade to it.  I had bad experiences using a Beta Test version of IE7 that discouraged me from using unproven web browsers.

So far as I know none of the other forums I regularly visit use Yabb software and I frequently clear my internet cache and totally scour my PC of all other hidden cached information using Cyberscrub software before I do any online banking or make any online credit card payments.

I am using Avast Antivirus 4.8, Spybot 1.5.2s memory resident protection and Windows Defender under Windows XP Home Service Pack 3.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:07pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:45pm

Do you think your internet speed is fast like viewing webpages, etc?

A quick google search reveals a possible Firefox bug but I have my doubts as you have only in last 10 days had the problem.

Have you installed any software or changed any settings in last two weeks maybe?

Also, could you click on 'Run' from the start menu and type in "CMD"

Now within the 'command box window', can you type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press <enter?

Now click on the 'X' or type "exit" to close the box and clear the cache of your browser.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:52pm

bbb_uk wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:45pm:
Have you installed any software or changed any settings in last two weeks maybe?

No but I am getting a weird problem that only started about 3 weeks ago with Real audio player suddenly opening on its own and trying to connect to a link that does not exist on occasion.  Running Cyberscrub stops this for a few days but then it restarts.  May be I need to uninstall Real Player completely.

Quote:
Also, could you click on 'Run' from the start menu and type in "CMD"

Now within the 'command box window', can you type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press <enter?

Now click on the 'X' or type "exit" to close the box and clear the cache of your browser.

No point doing the above as Cyberscrub clears my DNS cache and I have run that fairly recently.

<div style=

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:35pm

I have seen a problem similar to this with Facebook on Firefox 3. It happens periodically, and totally randomly, and then clears up again. I haven't been able to discover what the cause is...

As far as I'm concerned, I've been using Firefox 3 since it was released and haven't seen any problems with it, so I'd personally encourage you to upgrade to it Smiley.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:19pm

jgxenite wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:35pm:
I've been using Firefox 3 since it was released and haven't seen any problems with it, so I'd personally encourage you to upgrade to it Smiley.

So why haven't Mozilla told Firefox 2 users that Firefox 3 is available thus far?  They always tell me when a new update to Firefox 2 is available via the automatic update notification service.

Surely if they were confident of Firefox 3 they would be encouraging all existing Firefox users to change over to it from v2?

<div style=

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:23pm

I don't think Mozilla has usually told their users of old browsers (within the update feature anyway) that a newer major version is available. Some of our computers at work are still using Firefox 1, and I don't think that updating them says that Firefox 2 (or 3) is available.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 12:26am

Seems odd when Windows Update does tell users of old versions of Internet Explorer that they can upgrade to a newer version.

It doesn't seem very intelligent on Mozilla's part when they tell you all the time of bug fixing updates and enchancements to the version of the browser you are currently using.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:13pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 8:43am

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:19pm:
So why haven't Mozilla told Firefox 2 users that Firefox 3 is available thus far?

Does it not tell you when you select "Check for Updates" from the Help menu?

If it does do, then perhaps you have the automatic check for updates turned off.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:22am

I think there was a security issue when Firefox 3 was first released but this will have been corrected.  Same thing happens all the time with most software - notably IE.

If you don't want to upgrade just to v3 of FF just yet then you will still most likely have IE installed on your machine as M$ doesnt generally make it easier to remove so maybe to test if it's FF or not, you run IE (probably v6 if you haven't upgraded) and just visit this site and see if you have any problems.

If you choose to use IE then remember to say no to any prompt about making IE the default brower.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Dave wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 8:43am:
If it does do, then perhaps you have the automatic check for updates turned off.

A manual check for updates tells me that version 2.0.0.16 is available, whereas I am on v 2.0.0.14

I get periodic automatic notifications of Updates being available but the Update History shows the update to v2.0.0.16 having failed and this having been on 4th November 2008 - i.e. future dated so seems a little odd.  But no mention of V3 being available at all.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:14pm

bbb_uk wrote on Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:22am:
I think there was a security issue when Firefox 3 was first released but this will have been corrected.  Same thing happens all the time with most software - notably IE.

If you don't want to upgrade just to v3 of FF just yet then you will still most likely have IE installed on your machine as M$ doesnt generally make it easier to remove so maybe to test if it's FF or not, you run IE (probably v6 if you haven't upgraded) and just visit this site and see if you have any problems.

If you choose to use IE then remember to say no to any prompt about making IE the default brower.

The connection was reset thing only happens some of the time and is not happening today.  It still looks to me like its the site and not my PC.

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 1:52pm

jgxenite wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 11:23pm:
I don't think Mozilla has usually told their users of old browsers (within the update feature anyway) that a newer major version is available. Some of our computers at work are still using Firefox 1, and I don't think that updating them says that Firefox 2 (or 3) is available.

In Mozilla click on 'help' and click on 'check for updates', this is what I did and it up dated my machine to Firefox 3.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 4:11pm

It wants to Update me from 2.0.0.14 to 2.0.0.16

Perhaps when I have managed to upgrade to 2.0.0.16 it will want to upgrade me to Fifefox 3?
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:14pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge