Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Financial Services Compensation Scheme (Read 13,554 times)
jimjim

Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Oct 11th, 2008 at 5:20pm

With all this turmoil in the money markets, it makes a change to see the Financial Services Compensation Scheme using 020 7892 7300 and not a premium rate number.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:23pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:54pm

jimjim wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 5:20pm:
With all this turmoil in the money markets, it makes a change to see the Financial Services Compensation Scheme using 020 7892 7300 and not a premium rate number.

Its a shame their related parent body the FSA still refuse to get the 03 message and have even resorted to a justification that they have to minimise business operating costs (as a non business naturally!) to continue refusing to replace their 0845 Consumer Advice line.

Its also even more of a shame that most of my own cash savings were with Icesave and so I shall personally be having to avail myself of the service of the FSCS! Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:41pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

The Financial Services Compensation Scheme Limited
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:57pm

I have been one of the unlucky ones to have had money in Icesave. However the FSCS seem to be pulling out all stops to reunite everyone with their money and the process seems to be very easy. However I thought that if anyone has not had an email or has concerns, they may be interested that they have done the decent thing and have given a geographical number.

The Financial Services Compensation Scheme Limited
7th Floor
Lloyds Chambers
1 Portsoken Street
London E1 8BN

Switchboard: 020 7892 7300

Also before you get in touch with them, it is worth looking in your spam box as some of my emails from them have ended up in there.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:34pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:38pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:57pm:
I have been one of the unlucky ones to have had money in Icesave. However the FSCS seem to be pulling out all stops to reunite everyone with their money and the process seems to be very easy.

As a fellow Icesave sufferer but hoping that my money will be back in my NatWest bank account on Wednesday or Thursday I would have to disagree with you that this has been handled at all well by the FSCS.

1. First and foremost from the point of view of this website the phone number quoted for contact on the www.icesave.co.uk website post the Icesave collapse and in the first email sent out by the FSCS was 0845 605 6050.  Especially bad bearing in mind that quite a few Icesave investors were British expats living overseas. Shocked Angry Cry

2. Due to the FSCS's technological incompetence in using an emailing house primarily associated with unwanted commercial spamming around 50% of the first emails from the FSCS (sent for them by this bunch of spammers known as www.hearfrom.com) were blocked as spam by the UK's major ISPs.  Despite this the FSCS did not have the email re-sent by an email house that knew what it was doing and/or after arranging with all major ISPs they would first whitelist emails from this address.

3. Staff on their helpline on the London 020 geographic number are poorly trained, grumpy, moody and rude towards Icesave depositors who call many of whom are likely to be emotinally distressed and/or in an acute state of financial distress.  They all seem to be temps on minimum wage who seem to resent the fact that unlike them Icesave depositors actually had money they could lose in the first place.  Service at the call centre in Newcastle is better and friendlier but make sure to call it using the geographic alternative for the 0845 number listed under Icesave on this website.

4. Especially unfairly not everyone is getting their money back at the same time and people are getting their money back in their bank account any time between about November 13th and some time in January depending on the random sequence in which the FSCS authorises their account to receive compensation and sends out a second email about it.  Also some accounts do not have a linked bank account at another bank account set up and so will have to claim manually on paper.  These people may not get their money back until late January.

5. Despite the above total inconsistency in when different people get their money back the FSCS is not paying any interest after October 7th when Icesave ceased operations on Instant Access accounts.  It is totally unfair and unjust that people (a) lose any interest at all when those in Northern Rock, Bradford & Bingley, Royal Bank of Scotland and HBOS etc have not lost any interest due to those banks being bailed out by the government and (b) that different account holders with the same amount of money with Icesave in the same account are losing different amounts of interest on a random generated based basis in terms of when they are paid out.

6. It is wrong that email was relied on to notify the process for getting money back when email is not reliable in terms of getting there.  As the process was in any case slow and took weeks they should have used the 1st class post which has a 99.9% delivery reliability record.

7. I wrote to the CEO of the FSCS setting out my above issues on Wednesday 5th November but so far I have not had so much as a holding email acknowledging the complaints I have raised and saying they are being looked in to.  This is very poor and I note that the Chairman and CEO of FSCS seems to have given almost no public media interviews on the crisis.

In short the FSCS should not be congratulated at all as they have screwed up badly in the way they have run the process and are not running it fairly.  Also it was always inevitable that Icesave would be bailed out by the government as if it had not been all the other smaller overseas banks taking substantial deposits in the UK would have all had runs on them and also gone down like a bunch of ninepins. The only Icesave customers who have reason to feel grateful to the government are those with more than £35,000 deposited who had no reason to believe that more than £35,000 of their money would be protected until the day before the collapse when the government raised the limit to £50,000 and then decided they would pay out to all Icesave UK investors no matter how much they had deposited.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:39pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:06am

I bow to your knowledge on this and as usual when you post on this site, you write far more eloquently than I do and you have far more knowledge on these matters than I do. I tend to write as I see it.

I thought as the FSCS have never done anything like this before, I thought to get it done within two months was rather good. I don't think anyone would expect to be paid interest after the bank went belly up. I understand, that the Icesave web site was hosted by Newcastle Building Society, if that  is true then it must have made their job easier to use the existing set up to compensate investors. I did not realise that Icesave offered anything other than an internet account, I thought the only way you could transfer money was through a linked account. I stand corrected on that issue, if that is correct. I also understand that the reason that they are paying the money back in stages is because they did not want 30,000 odd customers going on line at once with the possiblity of crashing the system.

What I did find strange is that when they sent the emails out telling us we could go and fill in the on line form it was not addressed to anyone in particular. What I mean is that both me and my wife have seperate accounts and was not sure which one to go to. As my wife had more than I did (there is a surprise!!) I went to hers first and by coincidence it happend to be the right one as I could not activate mine until a couple of days later.

With reference to item 6 of your post, I do agree with your sentiments there, but without being argumentitive, if you are openeing an internet account, surley corrospondence will be made via email?

Staff at the majority of help lines are usually most unhelpful and I don't think FSCS are alone here.

On a seperate note, savers are moaning in Guernsey etc that they are not covered. Whilst I have a certain amount of symapathy with them, however if you are not paying U.K.tax, I don't see how they can expect the U.K. to bail them out.

Anyway as I said NGMsGhost I am not making an argument here and I always read yours and Silentcallsvictim's post with much interest as you both have a huge amount of knowledge on a lot of matters and can put it in to words very well. I have learnt an awful lot from the pair of you and I thank you for that.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 12:19pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:06am:
I thought as the FSCS have never done anything like this before, I thought to get it done within two months was rather good. I don't think anyone would expect to be paid interest after the bank went belly up. I understand, that the Icesave web site was hosted by Newcastle Building Society, if that  is true then it must have made their job easier to use the existing set up to compensate investors. I did not realise that Icesave offered anything other than an internet account, I thought the only way you could transfer money was through a linked account. I stand corrected on that issue, if that is correct. I also understand that the reason that they are paying the money back in stages is because they did not want 30,000 odd customers going on line at once with the possiblity of crashing the system.

While I can see where you are coming from, this is after all what the FSCS exist for! They've had ever since they were created to prepare for when a bank fails.

Icesave only offered internet accounts. I believe the only people without linked accounts are people who closed the current account that they used when signing up with Icesave and hadn't registered their new account before Icesave failed.

While they explain that it's done in phases to avoid overwhelming the system, it does seem unfair that people who are arbitrarily in the later waves of refunds will lose out on interest for the intervening period.

I've yet to receive the second e-mail.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 12:27pm

jrawle, have you looked in your spam folder? As I said mine ended up in there. My wife's arrived on Saturday and mine yesterday. (Monday).
They RECKON that it all should be done and dusted by 4th December. Also it will take five days from the time you fill in the on line form, to get your dosh, which is very easy.

I would guess (probably wrongly) that the FSCS had all this set up in case a convential high street bank failed and may be had not a plan if an internet bank failed....just a thought.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:32pm

The first message got through OK. Unfortunately, I regularly delete all my spam without only a quick glance as I receive so much. Still, perhaps I'll just go to the site and try to log on, as they said I just use my usual Icesave login details. Do I just need to go to icesave.co.uk?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 4:01pm

yes you log on as usual and put your usual infornation in. Then you will get told to go to the next page, if there are instructions to initiate your claim click on the icon which is towards the bottom of the page. If there is not you will have go back later. It is pretty self explanatory. Once you have initiated your claim and all is agreed etc. You wont be able to log in again. A confirmation email gets sent and this ended up in my spam folder. Hope I have explained it ok for you. If there is anything else let me know. This is who the email comes from to help you identify the sender..

<FSCS@SAVINGS.ICESAVE.CO.UK>
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008 at 4:21pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:09pm

I stand corrected on that issue, if that is correct. I also understand that the reason that they are paying the money back in stages is because they did not want 30,000 odd customers going on line at once with the possiblity of crashing the system.

This is a total lie they have just invented to justify the real reason for the delay accidentally disclosed to me by a member of staff at Newcastle Building Society (acting for FSCS) last Friday on the phone.  The real reason is that not all the money is available to make all the repayments in one go.  As a result the payments are being stretched over several weeks as the government and FSCS drag up money from various places to make the payments.  FSCS already had a large amount in their scheme but this will be exhausted by the Icesave claims and the government is making up the shortfall.  It seems possible the FSCS is playing for time so that they don't suffer as severe interest penalties at various places they have term deposits with.  Or of course the FSCS may have all the money with National Savings and the government can't find all the money at once.

This is why I am angry about no interest being paid as some people are having to wait weeks longer than others for the money and may be having to borrow the resulting shortfall elsewhere but they are not receiving more compensation for the extra cost of that borrowing that is falling on them as a result.  Also the principal of a compensation scheme that is supposed to compensate 100% of losses up to £35,000/£50,000 if a bank goes down but does not compensate for interest after the bank failure date until it pays out is quite wrong.

Speaking personally my money may get to me tomorrow or on Thursday but if it does not I will have to de-invest around £5,000 in a one year Cash ISA bond with Nationwide as otherwise I will run over an overdraft limit with my bank.  And If I have to take that money out of the ISA I don't get my lost cash ISA allowance back ever.  Like a lot of people in Icesave I am currently living on interest and capital and don't have a salary coming in at present so the consequences of being cut off from my money with no certainty about when it is coming back are disastrous.  Basically FSCS don't seem to be in charge of this project and just seem to be letting the people at Newcastle Building Society (who formerly worked for Icesave under contract) do things whatever way is easiest for them.

Quote:
What I did find strange is that when they sent the emails out telling us we could go and fill in the on line form it was not addressed to anyone in particular. What I mean is that both me and my wife have seperate accounts and was not sure which one to go to. As my wife had more than I did (there is a surprise!!) I went to hers first and by coincidence it happend to be the right one as I could not activate mine until a couple of days later.

Yes another good point about the shambolic emails and why are they totally unsatisfactory and insecure.  Communications should have been sent by post addressed to the customer with their account number.  That way there would have been no doubt about the account in question and the communication would have got there safely.  The point is even though it was an online account Icesave did use the post for things like password changes or re-notifications of online login ID or confirming address changes.  There is therefore no excuse for the FSCS sending non personally addressed emails through an unreliable bulk email spam house.

Quote:
Staff at the majority of help lines are usually most unhelpful and I don't think FSCS are alone here.

I don't think that is any excuse.  As Icesave customers are in an especially difficult situation having helpful staff on the line is crucial.  Also there are good call centres out there so why doesn't the FSCS use one.

<div style=

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 12:26am

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
Basically FSCS don't seem to be in charge of this project and just seem to be letting the people at Newcastle Building Society (who formerly worked for Icesave under contract) do things whatever way is easiest for them.

I didn't know about the Newcastle BS connection. Oh dear, the Newcastle seemed to offer good rates, but I think any connection to Icesave may well put me off. I need to see how the ISA certificates work first anyway.

I tried logging in to Icesave, but the link to start the transfer isn't there yet. So I wasn't supposed to have received the second e-mail yet.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:22am

Just  an up date. I filled in my wife's 'form' last Saturday and they said it would take five days. I am pleased to report that the money is in her bank today (Wednesday). So at least the system is working and I hope mine comes tomorrow and also hope that other members on this site that have money tied up in Icesave will get their money back soon.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:50am

jrawle wrote on Nov 18th, 2008 at 12:19pm:
I thought as the FSCS have never done anything like this before, I thought to get it done within two months was rather good. I don't think anyone would expect to be paid interest after the bank went belly up. I understand, that the Icesave web site was hosted by Newcastle Building Society, if that  is true then it must have made their job easier to use the existing set up to compensate investors. I did not realise that Icesave offered anything other than an internet account, I thought the only way you could transfer money was through a linked account. I stand corrected on that issue, if that is correct. I also understand that the reason that they are paying the money back in stages is because they did not want 30,000 odd customers going on line at once with the possiblity of crashing the system.

While I can see where you are coming from, this is after all what the FSCS exist for! They've had ever since they were created to prepare for when a bank fails.

Icesave only offered internet accounts. I believe the only people without linked accounts are people who closed the current account that they used when signing up with Icesave and hadn't registered their new account before Icesave failed.

While they explain that it's done in phases to avoid overwhelming the system, it does seem unfair that people who are arbitrarily in the later waves of refunds will lose out on interest for the intervening period.

I've yet to receive the second e-mail.

jrawle, have you received your email/money yet? I have got mine now as well as my wife's. Do hope your's has come through now. So all in all we have lost six weeks interest. They reckon it should all be done by 4th December, so if it has not come through best give them a bell.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:30pm

On working lunch today (Thursday) they suggested what I have said in a previous post here, that it is advisable to check your spam folder for emails from FSCS as that is where a lot of them are ending up.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:22pm

Still nothing, but I'll be logging in every few days to see if the link has appeared allowing me to transfer the money.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge