Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Media: When free calls cost 20p a minute (Read 12,772 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Media: When free calls cost 20p a minute
Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Source: Mirror

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2008/11/18/when-free-calls-cost-20p-a-minut...

When free calls cost 20p a minute

18/11/2008

Dialling so-called "freefone" numbers can cost a ridiculous amount of money.

Mobile networks charge 15p to 20p a minute to call 0800 numbers which are free to landline users, according to comparison firm Moneysupermarket.com.

And they charge the same when you call 0845 numbers, which should be charged at much lower rates.

So that means a 10-minute phone call to your bank, energy or telecoms provider will cost you £1.50 using a "freefone" number - and £1.92 if you are unlucky enough to get through on an 0845 number.

Moneysupermarket.com reckons that mobile phone networks are pocketing £88million a year from this outrageous racket.

It hits the poorest hardest because many pensioners, teenagers and people on benefit are most likely to rely solely on a pay-as-you-go mobile.

You can't get a landline contract if you have a poor credit rating - while anyone can get a pay-as-you-go mobile.

Phones regulator OFCOM should step in and stop this and ensure all freefone numbers are exactly that - free - especially as many of these are for vital helplines.

Meanwhile, if you haven't got a landline, then use a callbox, a friend's landline or keep your call as brief as possible.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Media: When free calls cost 20p a minute
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:27pm

I can see why freephone numbers can't be free from mobiles because of the extra costs in connecting them. However, I can't see any reason why they should be charged differently from geographical numbers (although that wouldn't necessarily help PAYG users). There should be a strong campaign for free numbers either to be free, or else treated the same as geographical calls from a mobile (including counting as inclusive minutes), and this should be enforced by Ofcom if necessary.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 3:26pm

We have had a debate about who should pay the excess for calls to mobiles. This seems to be the start of a debate about who should pay for the cost of calls from mobiles.

I am taking it is read that there is extra cost involved in maintaining a mobile network over that of a landline network, although I know that some would dispute this.

If someone (perhaps a friend) calls my landline from a mobile then should I pick up the additional cost of this call? If not, then we must think carefully about other similar cases.

Those who rent 0800 numbers carry the cost of calls from landlines. Should they be left with no option but to carry the cost of calls from mobiles also? The ideal solution would perhaps be two or more classes of "freephone", e.g. landlines only and all phones.

Unless revenue sharing were to be banned altogether, or the ability of phone service providers to set their tariffs with cross-subsidy as they choose were to be withdrawn, the situation of revenue sharing numbers being unduly expensive will remain. The point is that nobody has to use a revenue sharing number any longer. The facilities of non-geographic numbers are available on the 03 range and these are subject to price controls.

It is not the fact that mobile providers are charging high prices for calls to certain numbers that is the issue, it is the fact that people are using these numbers inappropriately.

Members of the Telephone Helplines Association are able to benefit from an arrangement with the mobile companies to allow calls to be made free of charge. The best that others can do at present is to use a 03 number or make their own special arrangements with the mobile companies.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:51pm

That's addressing the much wider questions of mobile charging in general. The only point I want to make is that there's no reason why 080 calls should cost more from mobiles than geographical numbers. The mobile operator is already taking into account the increased cost of calls from mobiles in the tariff it has set for geographical numbers. If anything, the cost of carrying a freephone call should be less as it is part paid for by the person being called.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:24pm

In a free market, the word "should" has little meaning or relevance. A telephone worth several hundred pounds "should" not be given away free of charge, nor "should" it be rented out on a scheme that causes it to be paid for many times over before the end of its working life.

Mobile operators compete for business and will therefore offer the charges for those items most likely to be reviewed by a potential purchaser, featured on a price comparison website or recognised on bills at as cheap a rate as they can. No telecomms call charge truly represents the cost of connecting the call as most of this is tied up in capital, so setting call charge tariffs is a complex business that has little to do with specific costing, other than termination fees.

As the cost of calls to 0800 and 084 / 087 numbers is unlikely to be a major factor affecting a customer's choice of network, there is little competitive pressure to force them down below what customers are prepared to tolerate.

I have no idea about the termination fees for 0800 calls made from mobiles, however they are clearly not great enough in favour of the mobile operators to allow calls to be free. If someone wished to offer free calls from mobiles then they could come to an arrangement with the mobile companies. This already happens for some helplines, although I understand that no money changes hands. If the government or some other body wished to do this, I assume that there would have to be some financial arrangement.

Because 03 calls are tied to the base item on which mobile operators compete - charges for calls to geo numbers - this is the best general option for now. If, or when, calls to geo numbers cease to be the "base point" the 03 regulations will have been be reviewed.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:18pm

So if it's a free market, which network do I subscribe to to give me 080 calls at geographical rates?

The whole purpose of this website from the start has been to change the situation whereby the majority of numbers people have to call (as opposed to social calls to their friends) were all numbers that cost more than standard calls. The reason I joined this forum a number of years ago was because, with the abolition of BT's Standard Line Rental, I was forced to pay for inclusive calls (6p per hour in those days) that I could not use to dial the numbers I needed to use. Non-geographical numbers, and the way there is no competition, no possibility of getting them counted as "inclusive" calls, and the fact that operators rely on the general public's ignorance to rip them off, it the reason this website exists, and when it comes to mobiles, 080 calls are just as worthy of being included in that bracket.

For the third time, I'm not asking for freephone numbers to be free from a mobile. If they were taken from inclusive minutes, that would solve many of the problems caused by them not being free. The reason they are not included is because the companies see it as a nice earner, largely relying on consumer ignorance once again.

A good solution for the time being is to promote the 020 0 and other dial-through numbers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:20am

I do not believe that the forums should be used for a dialogue between just two participants; indeed my remarks were addressed generally and in particular at the reported comments from moneysupermarket.com, as well as addressing specific points raised.

Through the forum we can share ideas and encourage action that promotes change. That which I see as being the most effective (now that Ofcom has been persuaded to introduce 03) is to encourage those who we "have" to call to use 03 numbers. I do not believe that anything further will be done to limit the activities of the free market in the supply of telephone services; the price regulations underpinning 03 are as much as we can realistically hope for.

Free market theory suggests that if there is sufficient demand for a service then someone will come forward to meet it, if it can be provided at a price that consumers are prepared to pay. In the case of calling 080 numbers at geographic rates from mobiles it appears that these "dial through" numbers are the market's response to this demand.

I regret however that I do not understand how these "dial through" numbers work, as I cannot see how the facility is paid for - perhaps someone could explain. I am interested to know what would happen if, for example, the Daily Mirror were invited to publish one of these as being available for use by all those who wish to call the "freephone" 0800 DWP numbers from mobiles? I see no reason why the DWP itself could not publish them, assuming that all is above board. Or is there a catch?

IP Logged

=CM=

Keep saying NO!

London
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 9:24am

The dial-throughs earn a small cut from the call. You pay from inclusive minutes, they get a freephone rebate. Not massive earnings but sufficient to support the service (often bolted on to exisiting gear so the setup costs are covered already).

This is however not a good "market response" to mobile ripoffs. jrawle has a point: the mobile service is a lock-in. They're free to surcharge or block any number including dial-thrus. Ofcom doesn't care as long as 999 is allowed (and there lies another tale where 112 is blocked unless you're a sub). This is not free markets in action, it's a "pick the best of a bad lot". Buy a Ford, you must refuel at Esso for life. The mobs should be forced open to let them provide connectivity and we chose calling plans as we want. The trend is towards connectivity with IP on mobiles and landline connections being the way forward. The "3" Skype deal is following this trend (ok, it's not IP to "3"'s termination but soon it could be).

The result will be no more "free" mobiles with 10 year fixed contracts [shurely shome shlight exaggeration there?], but again the use of "free" is an abuse anyway.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:07am

Presumably when a landline operator offers free 080 calls, they are receiving some revenue out of the charge made to the person receiving the call. The 020 dial-through providers must receive some of this to pay for the service. When dialled directly, mobile operators are receiving this money and the premium charge to their subscriber and the subscriber's line rental which would pay for inclusive minutes to geographical numbers.

The danger with these numbers being published in a national newspaper is that the mobile operators will then block them. Even if new dial-through numbers are then provided, they won't have been publicised and we're back to square one.

I do intend to write an article on freephone from mobiles on my blog, which will at least help a few people who actually think to Google how to avoid being ripped off for 080 calls (in the same way some people Google to find how not to pay up to £5.50 extra for train tickets from TheTrainline...)
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:08am by jrawle »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:16pm

Noting previous comments, I see that. as campaigners for change. we have a problem with supporting these dial-through numbers, as we do with some geo alternatives in the main database.

If they can only be sustained if we do not make too much noise about them, then it could appear that we are only in favour of what we may call "fair treatment" for an inevitably select few. Whilst I do not object to genuinely equivalent alternative ways of saving money being advised, I have to separate this from campaign objectives if they do not provide a solution for all.

Whilst we have to recognise sad realities and pursue attainable objectives, I cannot ally myself with the idea of cheaper calls for some.

We must remember that a "free market" involves participants on both sides seeking to gain the best possible deal for themselves, with no regard for others. It is believed that this will ensure the best outcome for all in the end. Mobile companies are thereby free to prevent their customers from accessing services that seek to undermine their revenue base in particular areas as Ofcom wishes to keep them in the general market. Ofcom's duty to "promote competition" through discretionary intervention is understood as being to require it to maintain a plurality of providers, rather than allow a "free for all" which could ultimately undermine competition. A truly free market would always lead to one provider securing a monololy.

Whilst I acknowledge and support concerns about the activities of telcos, I see the best chance for campaigning success as being in changing the behaviour of those who use revenue sharing and "freephone" numbers inappropriately.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:40pm

Thinking about it, there is plenty of choice. I choose not to use a mobile except in exceptional circumstances as all mobile calls are a rip-off when compared to a landline (and I have to have the latter anyway otherwise I couldn't have an internet connection!) I'm perfectly happy with companies using free contact numbers - in fact, all else being equal, I'd choose a company that offered one as to me it shows a commitment to good customer service (if they are paying, they are less likely to hold you in a queue for 45 minutes). Having said that, I'm rarely going to be calling anyone from home during daytime hours, so geographical numbers are effectively free for me too.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:18pm

jrawle wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
[...]For the third time, I'm not asking for freephone numbers to be free from a mobile. If they were taken from inclusive minutes, that would solve many of the problems caused by them not being free.
Which is exactly what happens here in the US. A call to a toll-free number, 800, 877 etc, is generally billed, for cellular users, at exactly the same rate as a call to any other US area code. If one has 600 inclusive call minutes (or air-time), then those minutes could be used to call from, say Miami to Los Angeles, or from Miami to a toll-free number, which should be the prevailing situation in the UK, as it indeed used to be for many UK cellular contract plans.

jrawle wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
The reason they are not included is because the companies see it as a nice earner, largely relying on consumer ignorance once again.
A nice earner due to the ineptitude and corruption of the British regulator which, of course, could intervene, yet doesn't.

This sordid situation is not helped by UK government ministers, typified by Jonathan Shaw's (incidentally my representative in UK parliament) response in the parliamentary update thread:

"We have considered whether it would be better for our customers to switch to the use of 03xx but we believe that the use of 0800 and 0845 continues to provide the solution which is, on balance, most advantageous to our customers as a whole."

He should make the most of the limelight while it lasts - his chances of re-election are, I suspect, pretty slim.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Why is SCV An Apologist for The Mobile Racketeers?
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:16am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:24pm:
In a free market, the word "should" has little meaning or relevance. A telephone worth several hundred pounds "should" not be given away free of charge, nor "should" it be rented out on a scheme that causes it to be paid for many times over before the end of its working life.

Mobile operators compete for business and will therefore offer the charges for those items most likely to be reviewed by a potential purchaser, featured on a price comparison website or recognised on bills at as cheap a rate as they can. No telecomms call charge truly represents the cost of connecting the call as most of this is tied up in capital, so setting call charge tariffs is a complex business that has little to do with specific costing, other than termination fees.

As the cost of calls to 0800 and 084 / 087 numbers is unlikely to be a major factor affecting a customer's choice of network, there is little competitive pressure to force them down below what customers are prepared to tolerate.

I have no idea about the termination fees for 0800 calls made from mobiles, however they are clearly not great enough in favour of the mobile operators to allow calls to be free. If someone wished to offer free calls from mobiles then they could come to an arrangement with the mobile companies. This already happens for some helplines, although I understand that no money changes hands. If the government or some other body wished to do this, I assume that there would have to be some financial arrangement.

So once again SCV you are revealed to actually be a card carrying apologist for the telecoms industry racketeers on the nonsensical premise that you claim there is a free market involved and people have a free choice about making 084/7 calls.

Absolute rubbish there is no free choice because there is a cartel involved and all the mobile companies have secretly agreed to charge punitive extra costs to 08 numbers that are above their real extra costs of carrying the calls as a way of artifcially cross subsidising a low headline call cost number to 01/02/03 lines.  BT is doing the same thing in its Payphone boxes.  The reason they do it is because it is a loophole in terms of ASA regulations on price disclosure in advertising.  And most of the telecoms industry lack any scruples and base a large part of their selling strategy on deliberate price misdescription.

It is a public outrage that Ofcom does nothing to clamp down on the 080, 084, 087 price abuse cartel by the mobile phone companies as the market is not competitive but subject to deliberately misleading publicity by the mobile phone companies.  But it seems that SCV is once again revealed as a closet apologist for these anti competitive racketeers. Shocked Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Ambigious Views of A Telco Ripoff Apologist
Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:27am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:16pm:
Whilst we have to recognise sad realities and pursue attainable objectives, I cannot ally myself with the idea of cheaper calls for some.

We must remember that a "free market" involves participants on both sides seeking to gain the best possible deal for themselves, with no regard for others. It is believed that this will ensure the best outcome for all in the end. Mobile companies are thereby free to prevent their customers from accessing services that seek to undermine their revenue base in particular areas as Ofcom wishes to keep them in the general market. Ofcom's duty to "promote competition" through discretionary intervention is understood as being to require it to maintain a plurality of providers, rather than allow a "free for all" which could ultimately undermine competition. A truly free market would always lead to one provider securing a monololy.

I think such waffling and apologetic posts for the actions of the telecoms mafia are best reserved for your next 100 page thesis on the NGN marketplace (no doubt commissioned by Ofcom for their next review of NGN numbers based on the views you have so far expressed on this topic) rather than put forward on a campaigning website where you have previously tried to give us the impression that you are one of the main activists against the misuse of non geographic numbers.

Indeed have you not recently put yourself forward as being MrSayNoTo0870 on various television broadcasts without giving other more clear and single minded campaigners on the whole issue the chance to even appear on the media wearing the SayNoTo0870 campaigning banner? Shocked Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:34am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 10:37am

I recognise sad realities without seeking to defend, or apologise for, anyone. I do not accept the premise that one can separate the world into good guys and bad guys. In the context of a battle of ideas, one only achieves results by understanding and engaging with those who hold differing views. I plead guilty to the charge of pursuing attainable objectives and encouraging others to take a similar approach in deploying such campaigning energies as they have available in the way most likely to achieve a beneficial result.

Recognising that fact that there are differences of view amongst those who post here, I have invariably done all I can to prevent myself from being presented as a representative of anyone when commenting to the media. When opportunities arise to comment publicly as a member of this forum, I always endeavour to make points that I hope all would share. I must apologise if I fail, but that is my intent.

Since joining the forum I have aimed to assist members in getting their message across as effectively as is possible. I cannot however be held responsible for the fact that we have not achieved as much media coverage as we would wish. I have never sought, nor agreed, to take on the responsibility of being Mr SayNoto0870.

We must remember that many different campaigning techniques can be effective. I am happy to applaud achievements that have resulted from methods with which I would probably profoundly disagree. I see that as a strength of the (lack of) structure that we enjoy. I even expect this point to be disputed!

I hope this is helpful, although I feel we would be better engaged in gaining an understanding of those who may be able to help the campaign by making decisions to drop use of revenue sharing numbers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge