Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Samaritans: volunteering (Read 3,917 times)
jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Samaritans: volunteering
Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:28pm

I've just heard a radio advert for volunteers to join the Samaritans, and was quite shocked to hear the number would-be volunteers are asked to call: 08705 62 72 82

It's bad enough that people in need of help have to use an 0845 number. I know their local numbers aren't kept top secret, but someone in need isn't going to spend time looking for them, so might end up paying a fortune, especially as I suspect they are likely to use a mobile. It's about time the switched to an 03 number.

But to expect potential volunteers to dial an 0870 number is disgraceful. I imagine being a Samaritan is very trying indeed, and besides, no-one who gives up their time to do charity work should have to pay for the privilege.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Samaritans: volunteering
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 10:16pm

It is very difficult to have to class organisations that do genuinely "good work" along with ripoff merchants, but this is what we must do.

If they were to explain that many potential volunteers are happy to make a modest contribution towards the adminstrative costs of handling their enquiries, to make this fact clear to callers then I would have much more sympathy.

To lose the subsidy of operating costs that is provided by revenue sharing would make a hole in the budgets of many charities. Unless the fact that callers are making a donation by calling a revenue sharing number is made plain, then there can be no justification for this underhand method of funding.

I personally feel that charities which need to raise money from telephone calls should always do so openly, by using properly recognised 09 premium rate service numbers. These are well known as being revenue sharing and the calling cost must be declared.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Samaritans: volunteering
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:22am

The Samaritans have a longstanding history of incorrigible arrogance towards 0870 misuse and consistently refuse to accept that they cost more to call or to offer a geographic alternative.

The controlling minds there just will not accept they are wrong in this issue.  I spent quite some time on this with them a couple of years ago by email and by phone and couldn't get anywhere.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge