Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can they tell which number we've called to? (Read 16,202 times)
David_H

North London
Can they tell which number we've called to?
Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:24pm

Sorry if it's been asked before but it's an important question and many new arrivals would get a chance to read it again without digging for old threads if it has.

In my experience using a geographical alternative has always worked for me, but I read here that some firms claim using the geographic number will go to a different place and get poorer service. I was under the impression 08 numbers masked and diverted to an existing number (many companies stupidly advertise them to attract foreign customers not realising they've just given away their cheap number to us as well).

If this was not the case companies could simply screen calls not using the 08 numbers and refuse to answer them.
So my simple question is a) can the companies spot whether someone's used their real number to call or not? leading to b) can they set up 08 numbers to different operators from the local number or is it really like the TV detector vans which actually contain a list of addresses and tea making facilities rather than TV detectors (so I hear) and in fact it's impossible to tell but they don't want us to know it?

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Can they tell which number we've called to?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:32pm

I think that you are pretty much asking "how long is a piece of string?"

In some cases the alternatives on our site might not be the actual geographical numbers that the NGNs point to. It has also been suggested recently that they are provided with the number the caller dialled. So there is no way to give a definitive answer to your question.

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:05pm

I'm sure the poster who claimed he could here would disagree Wink

I suspect sometimes secrets get mentioned in passing, but far more often they are not secrets but smokescreens.

If the technology exists to show if a caller is ringing the same phone to their geographic number or not then it's a simple yes or no answer.

I may have been guilty of hiding a simple question in a lecture but I'm prone to doing that. I hope I've simplified it now.

I'll add c) IF they can tell, what would indicate it? Would a light come up on the phone to show it's coming from elsewhere like in the James Bond films as although you can get caller ID flash up it only shows their number, not yours. Or does it...
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:06pm by David_H »  

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Elsewhere on the forum it has been mentioned that some telcos have implemented so-called "Dialed Number Identification Service" (DNIS).

I would say it's the larger companies. A local insurance broker or small mail order company probably won't be bothered what number you dial.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 3:11pm

At work, the senior managers' phones redirect to their shared PA after a few rings, and she always answers to say it's the office of whoever the caller was trying to contact. She has a phone with a multi-line display, and although I've never seen it, I presume it says what number the call was forwarded from. That not really any different from the call being forwarded from an 08 number.

However, I still suspect in most cases the companies known when a geographical number has been used as it goes through to a different office or phone.

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Thanks Dave, you seem to be everywhere at the same time, or do you have lots of different Daves? So they can tell after all. I hope it doesn't allow more to block when called on different numbers to the one advertised.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:31pm by David_H »  

neasdenparade  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 5:57pm

David_H wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:30pm:
Thanks Dave, you seem to be everywhere at the same time, or do you have lots of different Daves? So they can tell after all. I hope it doesn't allow more to block when called on different numbers to the one advertised.

Yes, I am everywhere at the same time!  Grin

I certainly think there are some out there who shut down any alternatives to circumvent the premium charges. Alliance & Leicester must come top of that list as this thread started by a customer who was "banned" shows.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008 at 5:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 6:44pm

David_H wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:30pm:
Thanks Dave, you seem to be everywhere at the same time, or do you have lots of different Daves?

I think you may well have hit on something there.  There is another forum moderator called DaveM but for years both he and Dave had forum avatars both showing men wearing the same white lab scientist coats.

In my observation Dave is the main forum moderator character and DaveM usually seems to be used when a more critical or hostile forum post needs to be responded to.

There was also another moderator for a while called bbb_uk but in the last few months he seems to have largely faded away while Dave seems to have become more ominpresent in the forum than ever.

<div style=

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 1:41pm

jrawle wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 3:11pm:
At work, the senior managers' phones redirect to their shared PA after a few rings, and she always answers to say it's the office of whoever the caller was trying to contact. She has a phone with a multi-line display, and although I've never seen it, I presume it says what number the call was forwarded from. That not really any different from the call being forwarded from an 08 number.

However, I still suspect in most cases the companies known when a geographical number has been used as it goes through to a different office or phone.

A company I used to work at had about eight lines into the building split across the main office number, a tech support number, and two lines for a separate tenant.  All lines rang on all phones, but a display showed us the name of the line group called, so we could ignore or answer appropriately. (ie only tech support used to answer the tech line, unless it rang too long because they were all busy, and we all ignored the tennant's lines unless they were out, in which case our reception would take messages.)  All on geographic POTS numbers of course.

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:35pm

David_H wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:24pm:
can the companies spot whether someone's used their real number to call or not?

Yes. The number that was dialled is provided to companies' phone systems with each incoming call that is offered. That's how DDI works - all incoming calls share the same (virtual) lines and the phone system needs to know the number dialled to ring the right extension, or to tell the network that the number is busy if all extensions allocated to the number are busy or DND. So a call dialled to the geo number can be routed to the 'foreign calls' department and the caller's number will show that it is not a foreign call.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:54pm

So what happens if you prefix the number you dial with 141?

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:29pm

pw4 wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:35pm:
David_H wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:24pm:
can the companies spot whether someone's used their real number to call or not?

Yes. The number that was dialled is provided to companies' phone systems with each incoming call that is offered. That's how DDI works - all incoming calls share the same (virtual) lines and the phone system needs to know the number dialled to ring the right extension, or to tell the network that the number is busy if all extensions allocated to the number are busy or DND. So a call dialled to the geo number can be routed to the 'foreign calls' department and the caller's number will show that it is not a foreign call.

I'd say that this is quite possible, on the more sophisticated systems that actually terminate the NTS numbers directly.  For the vast majority of users, though, the operators switch 'translates' (hence the T in NTS) into the underlying geographic number of the subscriber, and it's that which is presented to the subscriber's PABX.  And even then, it's only ISDN or VoIP connections that allow presentation of the DID number - standard analogue POTS lines only allow for the callers' ID to be presented**, as each line has it's own physical number (unlike the others, where numbers are not directly tied to an connection.)  

Of course, it's quite possble for an NTS number to terminate on a particular number, and the published 'international' geographic number to be a completely different number.  So, simply because of the lines/DID number that the call rings on they know pretty much which you dialed.

** There are suppliers (eg Flextel) who can provide you with a non-gegraphic number that presents the NTS number dialed in place of the callers' numbers, but then you've lost the information on who is calling, so it's only of limited application.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:34pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:48pm

sherbert wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:54pm:

This is irrelevant in the case outlined above.

If my phone number is 01234 567890 and I dial a company's "overseas" number, 020 3456 7890, their equipment will flash up with the fact I dialled 02034567890. It may also show that my number is 01234567890, which they will know isn't an overseas number. Using 141 will stop the latter, but not the former. Ultimately, their equipment will know what number the call came in on. This isn't something that can be concealed by the caller.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 4:24pm

jrawle wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:48pm:
sherbert wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 2:54pm:

This is irrelevant in the case outlined above.

If my phone number is 01234 567890 and I dial a company's "overseas" number, 020 3456 7890, their equipment will flash up with the fact I dialled 02034567890. It may also show that my number is 01234567890, which they will know isn't an overseas number. Using 141 will stop the latter, but not the former. Ultimately, their equipment will know what number the call came in on. This isn't something that can be concealed by the caller.

Thanks for your answer jrawle

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:32pm

jrawle wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 3:48pm:
If my phone number is 01234 567890 and I dial a company's "overseas" number, 020 3456 7890, their equipment will flash up with the fact I dialled 02034567890.

But if you've withheld your number - so you don't send a UK CLI - and called in on their overseas number, how will they know you're not correctly calling on the overseas numer?

Similarly, if you use 18185, only 'international' is sent as a CLI anyway, so that'd defeat this type of system too.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge