Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free (Read 231,724 times)
allegro

Re: BT to make 0870 & 0845 numbers free
Reply #120 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 7:30am

A friend who's phone service is provided by Scottish & Southern Energy as part of a deal with gas and electricity has also been told that 0845/0870 will be inclusive. Along with a rental increase.

The well known NEG scammers and their more gullible doctor customers were forced by the government to change from 0870 and were paid £500 per practice to do so.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #121 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 10:56am

Posted on behalf of Barbara:

E-mail to Utility Warehouse:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have today received my March bill and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, on page 1 at the bottom in black print, you refer to "making some other small changes to our prices, terms & conditions from 1st April 2009".   Please could you tell me if these changes are in relation to Home Phone and, if so, I would like details of these now rather than waiting until they have taken place by the time of the next bill in case I find any of the changes problematical.

Secondly, I note you are following the lead of BT & including calls to 0845s & 0870s in bundled call packages BUT, also like BT, you are increasing the monthly line rental.  Am I correct in assuming that the increase in line rental is to cover the increased costs you will face in including the calls to 0845s & 0870s?   As I take all steps possible to avoid using these covert premium rate numbers (including avoiding dealing with companies which use such numbers and seeking geographical alternatives for others), I very much doubt if this change is to my financial benefit as I do not make 91p worth of calls to these numbers in a month and I would, therefore, have appreciated a choice of retaining my present line rental.

I look forward to hearing from you on these points.

Yours faithfully,
Barbara

And the response:

Quote:
Dear Barbara

Details of the changes are being formulated and will be made available to all customers as specified.

Based on suggestions from a majority of our customers, and in order to remain competitive, we have taken the decision to make calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers free, and increase our line rental.

Regards,

Correspondence Administrator
Telecom plus PLC

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #122 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 5:37pm

Quote:
And the response:

Quote:
Dear Barbara

Details of the changes are being formulated and will be made available to all customers as specified.

Based on suggestions from a majority of our customers, and in order to remain competitive, we have taken the decision to make calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers free, and increase our line rental.

Regards,

Correspondence Administrator
Telecom plus PLC
So apart from BT and eventually TalkTalk and now UW, is anyone else planning on including 0845/0870 numbers?  Specifically SkyTalk and the most expensive landline provider, VirginMedia?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #123 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 7:02pm

The point I found significant in the reply I received from UW is that they seem to be admitting that line rental charges are rising to cover the costs associated with including 0845 & 0870 calls, something which I thought had not been admitted by others.  (Thanks to Dave for posting the exchange of emails.)   In my case, it is another example of paying for something from which I do not benefit (thanks almost exclusively to this site).   I still intend to avoid using 0845 & 0870 nos other than in the most extreme circumstances as a point of principle & to help those reliant on mobiles or who do not have packages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #124 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 7:13pm

Barbara wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 7:02pm:
The point I found significant in the reply I received from UW is that they seem to be admitting that line rental charges are rising to cover the costs associated with including 0845 & 0870 calls, something which I thought had not been admitted by others.  (Thanks to Dave for posting the exchange of emails.)   In my case, it is another example of paying for something from which I do not benefit (thanks almost exclusively to this site).   I still intend to avoid using 0845 & 0870 nos other than in the most extreme circumstances as a point of principle & to help those reliant on mobiles or who do not have packages.
I agree.

I am annoyed at the linerental (and other) increases to cover the inclusion of 0845/0870 numbers and I am also avoiding where possible ringing these numbers (even though being on BT, I can) but I'm aware that like all other companies (not just communication providers) there is no such thing as getting something for free especially in Rip Of Britain (ROB) so I knew prices rises in other areas would happen.

If I thought it would do any good I'd complain to Ofcom that those on low incomes or, in this current financial climate, are in fear of losing their job, that BT could have instead offered customers a choice - paying higher rental charges, etc in return for including 0845/0870 numbers, or stay as they are and pay for 0845/0870 numbers.  However, I have lost all hope in Ofcom.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #125 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:42pm

Dave wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 10:56am:
Quote:
we have taken the decision to make calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers free, and increase our line rental.

That quote alone would cause them to fall foul of the ASA, were they to try and use the word "free" in any advertising.  They take a dim view of "free" offers actually being charged for...
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:42pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Reply #126 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:15am

irrelevant wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:42pm:
Dave wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 10:56am:
Quote:
we have taken the decision to make calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers free, and increase our line rental.

That quote alone would cause them to fall foul of the ASA, were they to try and use the word "free" in any advertising.  They take a dim view of "free" offers actually being charged for...

Normally whether their calls are  free/inclusive depends on how many services  you take  from them. Go to:

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/Home/home_phone/homephone_info.taf and click on free global calls.

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:31am by oldharryrocks »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #127 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 3:18pm

Take your pick from:
Quote:
32.2 Promoters must not try to recover their costs by reducing the quality or composition or by inflating the price of any product that must be bought as a pre-condition of obtaining the free item.
32.3 Promoters should not describe an individual element of a package as “free” if the cost of that element is included in the package price.

IP Logged

VIVIAN ALLPORT

Reply #128 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:15pm

Hello I understood that BT's decision not to charge for calls to 0870 numbers ONLY applied to BT subscribers. Could the Moderator please

confirn that this is indeed correct. What is going to happen to customers who do not use BT ie: Talk Talk Greenbee etc etc

I understood that Ofcom were not very comfortable with 0870 numbers and that the whole question of their continued use was being

reconsidered and that the Office of Fairtrading was now involved?

Regards,

VIVIAN

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #129 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:56pm

Hang on, that is not quite true, it depends which package you are on.

If you are on Unlimited Weekend Plan the 'free' calls are only at the week end.
If you are on Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan 'free' calls are only at week ends and evenings
If you are on Unlimited Anytime Plan then all your calls will be 'free'.

Remember the so called 'free' calls are covered by the increase in the line rental that has or is taking place.

Also it covers 0845 numbers as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:58pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #130 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 5:39pm

VIVIAN ALLPORT wrote on Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:15pm:
... I understood that Ofcom were not very comfortable with 0870 numbers and that the whole question of their continued use was being reconsidered ...

Welcome and thanks for the posting.

Ofcom will shortly be announcing once again what it is to do about 0870, after many false starts and lengthy delays. BT has jumped the gun by assuming that revenue sharing will be prohibitted and is carrying the extra costs in the meantime. It is likely that the further delay will be longer than BT anticipated, and it could even be a permanent delay!

The charging arrangements for customers of TalkTalk, Greebee etc. are quite separate from those for subscribers to BT call packages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #131 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:57pm

Hello I understood that BT's decision not to charge for calls to 0870 numbers ONLY applied to BT subscribers. Could the Moderator please confirn that this is indeed correct. What is going to happen to customers who do not use BT ie: Talk Talk Greenbee etc etc

As per other posts, it only applies to BT subscribers at times where there is an inclusive element for 01/02/03 calls.

What other retailers do is up to them. Some others or one other (Talk Talk) are following suit.

Please do not think that this is the beginning of the end for the premiums attached to 0870/0845 numbers as those who use them still benefit through revenue payments and services in kind, even where calls are inclusive.

I understood that Ofcom were not very comfortable with 0870 numbers and that the whole question of their continued use was being reconsidered and that the Office of Fairtrading was now involved?

Ofcom has, for a number of years now, being saying that something needs to be done. I've not heard that the Office of Fair Trading has got involved.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #132 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:04pm

Hello I understood that BT's decision not to charge for calls to 0870 numbers ONLY applied to BT subscribers. Could the Moderator please confirn that this is indeed correct. What is going to happen to customers who do not use BT ie: Talk Talk Greenbee etc etc
As far as i'm aware only BT are including 0845/0870 in any inclusive minutes alongside that of 01/02/03 numbers.

TalkTalk customers who also take their linerental from TalkTalk will, from 2nd June, also have 0845/0870 included in any inclusive package.

I also understand UtilityWarehouse are planning on including 0845/0870 in their inclusive allowances as well.

Quote:
I understood that Ofcom were not very comfortable with 0870 numbers and that the whole question of their continued use was being reconsidered and that the Office of Fairtrading was now involved?
Ofcom, in my opinion, dont seem that concerned over 0870 numbers because Ofcom have had many, many consultations over many, many, many years over 0870 (not to mention other number ranges) and then eventually decided to remove the revenue sharing from 0870.  Then, however, Ofcom postponed this!

No one for sure knows if Ofcom will ever continue with what they originally planned for 0870 numbers but if its anything like what they did for 070 personal numbers then they may even do a u-turn on their decision!

Edit:  Sorry Dave about cross-post.  By time i had typed all this you had already posted.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:07pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
TalkTalk Revives The "Local Rate" Call
Reply #133 - May 3rd, 2009 at 12:31pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2009 at 8:33am by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: TalkTalk Revives The "Local Rate" Call
Reply #134 - May 4th, 2009 at 10:40am

Dave wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 12:31pm:
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Dave,

If you really insist on splitting this TalkTalk free local calls discussion off then you should have created the new thread for it in Geographical Numbers Chat and not in Call Providers, although I think you should have left it where I put it in the BT 0870 thread.

If the TalkTalk thread is placed in Call Providers then why isn't the BT one also there? Roll Eyes

All that putting the TalkTalk make local geographic calls free discussion in Call Providers will do is to kill the discussion stone dead. Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge