Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Alternative Lo-Call 118 Service (Read 53,772 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Alternative Lo-Call 118 Service
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:01am

derrick wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 10:52am:
If you live in London and call your next door neighbour on a landline the cost will be X pence if the number dialed begins 01/02/03, if you call an 01/03 number in Glasgow, (or anywhere else in the country), the cost will be the same!! Where is the "local" from???

The "local" comes from the fact that your neighbour is next door and is therefore "local" to you. Thus, it's a local call, and, by definition, the charge applied is the local call rate.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:02am by Dave »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:33am

Hi There

I want to get this right and I am concerned that people understand the RingLocal programme but at the same time I do not want to contravene legislation so I invite your suggestions

RingLocal - That cannot change because of the expense and inconvenience it would cause

It is my intention to use the 0845 number in the first instance and then port to an 0345 number as soon as ofcom can carry out the change. I want to do this to enable mobile users to use the service without being ripped off by the network provider.

It is a local service for local people and I wish to use this term as this is true but I need to get the terminology right and I am open to suggestion in this regard

"RingLocal providing a local service for local people"       

Please post your suggestions

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #32 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:37am

Would the term LO-CALL be acceptable because the intention is to keep the point of contact for the caller as low as possible.

This implies that it is a lo cost call and not a local call.

Please help me with this

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:30pm

Dave wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:01am:
derrick wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 10:52am:
If you live in London and call your next door neighbour on a landline the cost will be X pence if the number dialed begins 01/02/03, if you call an 01/03 number in Glasgow, (or anywhere else in the country), the cost will be the same!! Where is the "local" from???

The "local" comes from the fact that your neighbour is next door and is therefore "local" to you. Thus, it's a local call, and, by definition, the charge applied is the local call rate.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

But the same charge for the call will be made regardless of distance, so as Ofcom, ASA, CASP etc, say the term should not be used, as it is meaningless!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:36pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:37am:
Would the term LO-CALL be acceptable because the intention is to keep the point of contact for the caller as low as possible.

Please help me with this

NO, it is just a play on words, meant to mislead, i.e to call an 01/02/03 number from a payphone will cost 1ppm, an 0845 number will cost 20ppm, a 2000% premium, still think it is a "low-call, LO-call etc"? And from a mobile can cost up to 40ppm, and will not be included in inclusive call bundles therefore emphasising the point it is not a "local rate"!

What is wrong with calling it what it actually is, a "revenue sharing number", or as I remember it being called, a "special services number".

Why the need to mislead ?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:40pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:37am:

Please help me with this

Why are you flaffing around with this termonology? Why not call it 'geographical rate' and be done with it.

Basically the different tariffs are 'geographical rate' and 'premium rate' surely. Anything over the geographical rate is more, so therefore you are paying a premium?

Me thinks you may be out of your depth here.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:44pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #36 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:27pm

Perhaps what you need is a brief pricing notice such as "Calls to the 0345 number cost no more than a normal 01/02 landline number and will be part of inclusive minutes/packages where otherwise applicable. These rules apply to all landline and mobile telephone companies."

This is what all users of 03 numbers should be doing. You might also like to link to the Ofcom explanation of 03 numbers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #37 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:01am

Can I make a simple suggestion that may help end this confusion?

If a 0800 number is to be offered for landline callers, this would be the obvious choice for them to use over a 0845 / 0345 number.

Presumably caller location detection facilities will be deployed on non-geographic numbers, so that when the service is rolled out as intended callers will be directed to the appropriate local service within the call centre. I am guessing that the equivalent feature for mobile callers might be too expensive to deploy (but please correct me if I am wrong), which is why separate local numbers are being considered for each area.

If so, then the 0345/0845 number becomes redundant.

If not, then callers may be concerned that the already heavy cost burden that is being carried by sponsors and subscribers could limit the service to only those companies that are perhaps desperate for business. I am sure that there will have been difficulty recruiting national chains with local operations until such time as the return on their addition of this item to their promotions budget can be demonstrated.

If numbers for non-clients are to be given out, then one must hope that sufficient care will be taken to make it clear that these have been obtained properly and not pirated from some published source.

I note the apparently noble intentions, however nothing is "free" in the world of commerce. The wary consumer should be very suspicious of any service that appears to work more cheaply than an established norm, especially when it refers to competitors as rip-off merchants. That is not to say that it cannot be done, however there are probably far more tricksters than genuinely smart operators out there. (Considerable attention in this forum has been directed towards an operator that came up with a way of giving GPs a free telephone system).

I hope that there has been sufficient research to show that Barnsley people prefer services funded by advertising to ones that they pay for. The fortunes of local newspapers would provide a good basis for this, as well as showing the extent of the competition that the service faces.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #38 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 3:38pm

Further research suggests that the best way for both customer and client will be to use the 0345 number at the point of entry, I am not sure of the tariff yet but it will be kept to a minimum 2/3p per minute.

As far as National chains are concerned this is not going to be our core business we intend providing a local service for local businesses and such as national companies they will be additional income if they wish to participate.

UK database is designed for professional DQ service providers offering DQ on a 118### number and includes number records. The database includes both UK residential and business listings.
I am not prepare to divulge my number source for the none clients but what I can say is that they provide national 118 providers in the UK Europe and the States, this being the case all records will be up to date and accurate.

The RingLocal service is not a free service it is lo-cost to the customer or in the case of Sayno customers it will be free because I will publish the STD number and the STD number will also be published as an alternative for customers that prefer to use it. I have chosen to use the 0345 number to benefit mobile users because mobile providers will not be able to hype up the price of the call. An incoming call on the 0345 number must be charged at the introductory tariff and mobile phone operators cannot hype the cost of the call. I refer to your phase “established norm” just because it is established it does not say it is in the best interest of the customers. Prior to 118 the BT 192 service offered 2 searches for 0.50p it now costs the same in most cases just to be connected never mind the hidden add ons

I think you are missing the point slightly our rival will be the 118 services not the local press, the press have welcomed RingLocal as a parallel service rather than a competitor. What I would like to point out is that it is not my intention to con anybody, RingLocal is a service that I intend providing to my friends and neighbours, Barnsley is a small town and I wouldn’t last long if it was my intention to provide a dodgy service. I have spent around 3 years researching this market and I will not launch until I have satisfied myself that it is the best service that I can offer. I do appreciate that there has been variants but it is only because of industry changes and in some cases my lack of knowledge in regard to the products and services available in the market place.
I thank you for your input and I look forward to any additional information.

Baz

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #39 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:12pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 3:38pm:
The RingLocal service is not a free service it is lo-cost to the customer or in the case of Sayno customers it will be free because I will publish the STD number and the STD number will also be published as an alternative for customers that prefer to use it. …

The 0345 number will be inclusive from a landline, where a particular subscriber has an inclusive calls element at the time of calling. So use of the STD number does not mean that the call might be inclusive and the 0345 will not.

The only slight difference (spanner in the works, if you like) is with the Talk Talk tariffs which include local calls. So if the STD number is available and the caller is local to it, then in that instance the STD number will be the favourable option.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 9:36am

bazzerfewi wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:56pm:
There needs to be 3 access numbers this will give the caller the choice to use the most appropriate number

1) 0345 this will enable callers to ring mobile numbers and std numbers at low rate tariff
2) 0800 this number will enable callers to ring numbers free excluding mobiles

If both these numbers are published as well as the std number I think this will enable all callers to access the service at either a reasonable call cost or for a FREE call.

I take it that this posting is now out of date, as number 2 has been abandoned and number 3 is restricted to the SayNo website.

Further research suggests that the best way for both customer and client will be to use the 0345 number at the point of entry

We must all be delighted that the plan to perhaps launch the service with a 0845 number has been abandoned.

I am not sure of the tariff yet but it will be kept to a minimum 2/3p per minute.

The tariffs for calls to 03 numbers are all published by the respective providers. They are (by regulation) no greater than, and (by practice) no less than, those for calls to any 01/02 number. As Dave says, Talk Talk is presently the only exception in that it offers free (inclusive) local calls at all times to some residential subscribers on standard tariffs. BT offers cheaper local calls to some residential customers on special tariffs.

I do not believe that RingLocal will be able to prevent companies from offering calls to a 03 number at less than 2p per minute, nor indeed will it be able to cause them to set a maximum charge.

A typical cost statement would be “Calls are free for BT customers within the terms of their call plan. Other charges may vary”.

As far as National chains are concerned this is not going to be our core business we intend providing a local service for local businesses

I claim no special knowledge of Barnsley. I was thinking of examples such as pizza delivery services and dry cleaners, where callers might get a limited selection of local options.

So long as callers understand this, then nobody is being deceived.

The RingLocal service is not a free service it is lo-cost to the customer

Given that there is no use of revenue sharing numbers, there is no problem in advertising the service as being “free”. The fact that it is funded by sponsorship and advertising does not deny this claim, as in the case of “free” local papers. The access cost (if any) is paid purely to a third party - one could draw a parallel with ITV.

It could perhaps be even fairer to describe RingLocal as a “free service” to make clear the fact that it has no control over the call charges incurred and that it is using a totally different business model to the 118 services, rather than doing the same thing more economically.

I wouldn’t last long if it was my intention to provide a dodgy service.

I do not believe that anyone here has challenged the intentions behind the service. It is my belief that there are relatively few people who go into business with the intention of conning customers. There are however an awful lot of customers who believe, or at least claim, that they are being ripped-off. This accusation has been levelled against all 118 providers in this thread.

The odd thing is that that everyone claims that they would not be in business if they were not meeting the needs of their customers. Commerce is a funny thing, is it not?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Some brief further comments.

My point about the "established norm" is that it is not seen to serve the best interests of customers and so someone comes along with something new that appears to break the rules, especially when it is "free" or considerably cheaper. The canny consumer will ask how it is that someone has managed to do things in a way that others have failed to do, and wonder where is the catch.

I note that the established norm includes directory enquiries services that are free to landline users. I called 0800 118 FREE (a service from the "Rip off" operators "The Number" owners of the much promoted 118118), listened to an advert from Interflora (a national service that supports local florists) and on asking the voice recognition system for a dry cleaners in Barnsley was given the number of the local branch of Johnsons, a national chain. I was then reminded of the wonderful service available from Interflora and offered the opportunity to be put through to them for free.

With my BT call plan in effect, a call to RingLocal would have cost me no more and no less. I would however have heard a different advert, been given a different number and possibly have been connected to an independent local dry cleaner that would have been paying for the call.

I understand the essential differences to be that RingLocal would not have ripped me off in the way that 0800 118 FREE did and it is strongly focused on independent local businesses, in particular on those who are prepared to pay for calls to be put through directly. Whilst it would have cost me less if I had called from my mobile (in my case, nothing), it would cost some callers more if calling from a landline.

The point about business that use 0800 numbers, or other means, to pay for sales enquiries has been discussed in the forum previously, but I will raise it again as it is relevant. There are some who believe that businesses who pay to receive sales calls are not to be preferred, for two reasons. Firstly, it makes them appear "too keen"; suggesting that they cannot rely on a good reputation for quality and value to cause people to be enthusiastic to secure their services requiring them to be enticed by meeting some of their expenses in making an enquiry. Secondly, there is no such thing as a "free lunch"; the cost  of receiving both failed and successful sales enquiries has to be met somehow, and this is likely to be reflected in higher prices, or less expenditure on the quality of the service delivered.

One punter on Dragon's Den was sent away with a flea in his ear for suggesting that use of 0800 numbers was the way to secure business. The suggestion was met with unanimous contempt from the panel. It may be that the people of Barnsley see things differently.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #42 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:39pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 9:36am:
I am not sure of the tariff yet but it will be kept to a minimum 2/3p per minute.

The tariffs for calls to 03 numbers are all published by the respective providers. They are (by regulation) no greater than, and (by practice) no less than, those for calls to any 01/02 number. …

SCV, I think that Baz was referring to the tariff that clients will be on; the cost for receiving calls.

Baz, as you will be charging clients for receiving calls, perhaps you could just have the 0345 number and not bother with the 0800 number. The cost to your company will be greater for the calls made to the 0800 number and hence it is likely that these costs will be passed on to clients. Choose whether you have different incoming client rates for calls made to the 0800 and 0345 numbers or whether you just charge the same rate, the cost is still being passed on.

Is an 0800 number really necessary or will "normal landline rate" 0345 number be better? With only the 0345 number there will be no need to promote both 0800 and 0345 and explain which each is for.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:43am

Dave wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:39pm:
SCV, I think that Baz was referring to the tariff that clients will be on; the cost for receiving calls.

As the quote came from the end of a sentence referring to a decision to initially use 0345 (with a geo number in the Sayno database mentioned later), thereby ditching the earlier suggestions of 0800 and 0845, I assumed that it was the tariff for the 0345 calls that was being discussed.

If you are correct then I hope that Baz is not jeopardising his business by publishing his best possible price in a public forum.

I would have thought that, even though the greater costs of a 0800 number have been abandoned, a client would have to negotiate hard to get a rate as low as 2/3p per minute, assuming no other charges and the best outgoing rate as a cost base. Unless the income from sponsorship could be relied upon to more than cover all of the running costs and overheads, these fees would be the primary source of revenue for the business. By my rough calculations, an agent would have to be very productive (over 100 calls per hour) and onward calls fairly lengthy (over 5 minutes on average) to even cover incremental staffing costs at 3ppm.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #44 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Bazzerfewi,

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but your idea has already been done on a national basis by www.freedirectoryenquiries.com on 0800 100100 and it received extensive national press coverage at the time it was launched.  Like your service it is reliant on people listening to an advert before they get the phone number they want in order to support the cost of the service.  My big initial objection to that service though was that it only had an 0800 number and did not provide an 03 alternative when a mobile phone was the most likely place for you to want to call it from.

The only problem is that the company running it seem to be ripoff merchants as the free service only lasted a few weeks and although the website is still there if you call 0800 100100 you are told the service is down for "system upgrades"(it has not been working for at least months) and to call their chargeable 118911 service instead.

Unless the company involved always intended to hoodwink customers I would imagine they found the level of demand and its erosion for their chargeable service to be totally unsustainable.  So why won't the same thing happen to your company?  Also where are you getting your number operators from who are prepared to work for only £1 an hour or whatever from?  Or are they all in India?

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge