Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1899 invoice changes (Read 25,680 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: 1899 invoice changes
Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 11:06am

dorf wrote on Aug 15th, 2009 at 10:36am:
I have found the html version.

I've had 1899/18866/18185 accounts for more than 5 years and have never used anything but the HTML version.  Very easy to copy and paste onto a Excel spreadsheet (sorry, mentioned Microsoft software there).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 12:18pm

Heinz wrote on Aug 16th, 2009 at 11:06am:
I've had 1899/18866/18185 accounts for more than 5 years and have never used anything but the HTML version.  Very easy to copy and paste onto a Excel spreadsheet (sorry, mentioned Microsoft software there).

Ditto I have only ever used the HTML version myself.  However I am sure that copying and pasting from the HTML version works just as well in to the free OpenOffice equivalent of Excel.

<div style=

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 5:30pm

Heinz and NGM'sG, I have always previously used the html version of their invoices only. This problem only arose because they made a change to supposed "pdf" invoices. The way in which they made this change on their site had made it unclear that there was still an html version of their invoice available on the site, because they had arranged the sham "pdf" link to look as if it was the same link as what is now the html link right next to it. Until Andy9 pointed this out to me I was not aware as a result of the close proximity that the html link still existed.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

catj

Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 8:27pm

There are several versions of the PDF file format standard.  Which version of the standard do the files claim to be?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 1:38am

dorf wrote on Aug 16th, 2009 at 5:30pm:
Heinz and NGM'sG, I have always previously used the html version of their invoices only. This problem only arose because they made a change to supposed "pdf" invoices. The way in which they made this change on their site had made it unclear that there was still an html version of their invoice available on the site, because they had arranged the sham "pdf" link to look as if it was the same link as what is now the html link right next to it. Until Andy9 pointed this out to me I was not aware as a result of the close proximity that the html link still existed.

dorf,

The html link version still appears clearly on my PC using Mozilla Firefox 3 for Windows.  So could this problem be being caused by your Linux version web browser of whatever kind?

<div style=

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 1:51am

NGM'sG, the html link appears but is now almost sequential with the "pdf" offering. I am using Firefox mostly, and I have looked at the link on another PC using Windoze in Firefox and it appears the same.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:31pm

dorf wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 1:51am:
NGM'sG, the html link appears but is now almost sequential with the "pdf" offering. I am using Firefox mostly, and I have looked at the link on another PC using Windoze in Firefox and it appears the same.

dorf,

You may be interested to hear that I have just upgraded to Firefox's new Version 3.5.x with its supposed bunch of extra features over Version 3.0.x only to find that basic text search on a web page is currently mysteriously scuppered by this trendy new version.  So it would seem that not only Microsoft release rubbish poorly tested software on the unsuspecting public...............
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:32pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

catj

Reply #22 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:23pm

There are several versions of the PDF file format standard.  Which version of the standard do the files claim to be?

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 9:56am

catj,

You cannot have "versions" of a "Standard". The whole point of having a Standard in any sector of interactivity is that it is a fixed and specified format to ensure compatibility and interoperability! Once you decided to have more than one version of a Standard that would not be a Standard any longer. That would defeat the whole purpose of having a Standard, and would not conform to the definition "Standard".

Take an example: the metre is a Standard unit measure of length. If you had more than one standard for a metre where would we be? This is why in Standardization we have a complex system of International Standards, sub-standards and sub-sub standards to maintain the structure, and the value of the intrinsic unit.

I take your point NGM'sG. It is a prevalent problem with all SW that new versions have bugs introduced and if not tested properly cause every user problems.  All I can say is that at least if the product is not selling at prices to create one of the very richest proprietors in the world, one can perhaps be more forgiving of human error and a failure to thoroughly test?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:01am by dorf »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 1:20am

So USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 were just imagined then?

What about Bluetooth 1.0, 1.0A, 1.0B, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 and 2.1?

No such thing as "different versions"? Sorry, but you're very wrong.

There have been nine versions of the PDF file format, with corresponding Acrobat releases for each. Version 1.4 is the basis for the ISO standards for PDF/X and PDF/A and PDF documents conforming to ISO 32000 carry the PDF version number 1.7. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format for further enlightenment and edification.

So, again, I will ask: which PDF file format version do these files claim to be?

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #25 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:02pm

Catj,

Sorry, I meant of course that you cannot have different versions of a Standard which are incompatible and not interoperable; that is the definition of a Standard. That is its very purpose - to ensure compatibility. You can of course have different versions of software, and these may not be interoperable, and increasingly often are not; but they are not Standards. This is one of the problems with the immaturity of today in engineering and software - the failure to understand why Standardization is so important and that to have no engineering rigour and to just change things "willy nilly" leads to a great waste of resources and costs, and great confusion!

One of the great difficulties arises when children who do not understand things, are unwisely treated as if they were adults and given unfettered ability to wreak havoc. This is what has happened now with the original IBM PC Standard for example. IBM always paid attention to these things since they had proper engineers and proper engineering Standards with rigour. Once the situation changed and IBM lost control we then began to have the problems we now experience and suffer increasingly; no one can be sure quite what OSs will work with what hardware and what software will work with what OS etc. The whole point of pdf was to overcome those difficulties, and to have a format which was portable across all operating systems and hardware. If children who did not understand the original purpose of this have been unleashed as supposed experienced adults, and allowed to make different versions of pdf which are incompatible then it has completely lost its purpose and become a white elephant. If some "versions" of pdf will not work with some OSs or older versions of pdf applications (backward and forward compatibility) then pdf has lost any relevance to anything. What could it possibly exist for any longer except perhaps to attempt to replace MS Word?

As I pointed out before, if we had different versions of the Metre then everything would fall apart! However child "engineers" will probably want to change that soon, because they do not understand what they are doing in the totality of things or how we got here. [Queen Elizabeth I is reputed to have had a plaque on the wall of her bedroom. It listed the causes for the collapse and fall of the Roman civilisation, probably one of the greatest which ever existed, to remind her to avoid the same mistakes. One of the reasons on that list was "Accepting youthful council."] 

Maturity and mature civilisation understands Standardization and the need for it.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #26 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 8:01pm

If I use the word 'revision' instead of the word 'version', would that facilitate an actual answer to the original question?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge