Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
0906 numbers at 50p per minute (Read 101,863 times)
Jennie

0906 numbers at 50p per minute
Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:14pm

Hello everyone I am new to this forum.

I have to make a phone call to a helpline with a 0906 number which costs 50p per minute.  It is impossible for me to pay such an extortionate rate as I cannot afford it. The call could be an hour long therefore it would cost me £30

I have searched for an alternative number but have been unable to find one.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop companies from overcharging people like this? It is as if they do not want to offer help by making the service unaffordable.

Thanks   Jennie
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:15pm by Jennie »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Re: 0906 numbers at 50p per minute
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:38pm

If you let us know the complete number, what organisation it belongs to, and the sort of call you are making, then it's possible that there are alternatives available.

However, unlike 08 numbers, in general 09 numbers are often used specifically to raise revenue to fund the service being provided, are widely recognised as high-cost numbers used as such, and are therefore recognised as being a valid use of these numbers.

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:49pm

[size=12][/size]Thanks the number is 0906 786 8000. It is the Acer software helpline for my Acer laptop.

I have searched for a number on here but cannot find one.

Thanks

Jennie

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 8:57pm

There are plenty of numbers in the database for Acer - are they all unsuitable?

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 8:59pm

Will have a look as I specifically need the software helpline & was directed to the 0906 number when I contacted Acer.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 9:01pm

There is an unverified number in there for the software helpline, with an 0906 quoted that is one digit different to the one you gave.  Please let us know if that works, or if it doesn't..

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 9:47pm

Sorry my mistake 0906 706 8000

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 9:59pm

Which site are you looking on to find the unverified number please?

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 10:13pm

Just tried some of the numbers but they do not work!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 12:05am

We have sympathy with your position, but they are entitled to charge fees for services. Many of us feel that a premium rate number is not a fair or effective way to do it and the charge may not be good value for money. They may be able to call you back or communicate by email if you can persuade them not to charge you in this way.

If the product is faulty or does not match the specification under which it was sold you may have to take, or send, it back to wherever it was bought from. If you bought it from someone other than Acer, they may be able to help get you the advice you need. If it is purely a software problem, the software company may be able to help. (Apologies if you have already tried these routes.)

A quick look on the Acer website shows that the UK Service Department is open from 9.00 to 5.30 Monday to Friday. That may not help with your problem, but it could explain why the numbers "do not work" this evening. If you can, you may want to try them again on Monday morning.

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 7:28am

Thanks for the advice but I have tried everything now. I seem to recall trying to contact Acer soon after I bought the laptop last October & came up with the same problems. I will call again on Monday but they are sure to tell me the 0906 number is the only one for software advice.

I have an extended warranty which I always buy when buying a computer & it has usually worked well for me. I was mislead to believe when I bought it that it covered software issues. I have since found out that was only for the first month! I am now taking this up with the company who sold it to me.

I think I will need to go back to my technician & ask him to help resolve my problem. He is an expert who actually tests programmmes for microsoft!

Thank you everyone for your help & advice.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 11:04am

Jennie wrote on Aug 8th, 2009 at 7:28am:
I think I will need to go back to my technician & ask him to help resolve my problem. He is an expert ...

Good luck. If he would be happy for his number to be published in the database as an alternative for Acer, I am sure that many fellow sufferers of the problems you are having would be grateful. Wink

Jennie wrote on Aug 8th, 2009 at 7:28am:
... who actually tests programmmes for microsoft!

Is that not what all of us with PCs do? Grin

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 11:18am

He is inundated with work & does not work online only at home. So he would not want anymore work. He is not an Acer technician, just general.

Yes, I agree we all test for microsoft & I am beginning to loathe them as they are making things so restrictive for people & charging extortionate fees for advice. Cry Angry My sister uses a MAC & does not have any of the problems we do! Roll Eyes

Thanks again everyone Kiss
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2009 at 11:20am by Jennie »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 12:07pm

If you need advice, you have to pay for it. If you take your computer to a shop for them to sort it out, they are not going to do it for free, so why should anybody at the end of the phone do it for free? If you go  to a solicitor for advice they aren't going to give it for nothing anymore than anyone else would in any other profession or trade. Nothing in this world is free Jennie, we all have to make a living. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 2:16am

Hello Jennie and welcome to the SAYNOTO0870.COM forum.

What is the problem and why do you think that it could last an hour? If you had the same problem before, how was it resolved?

As others have said, the cost of the 0906 number is clear. Whether that cost is appropriate (or affordable) is another matter. The main reason for saying no to 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 is the covert nature of the premium charges.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge