Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
0906 numbers at 50p per minute (Read 102,038 times)
Jennie

Re: 0906 numbers at 50p per minute
Reply #15 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:32am

Hello Dave

Thank you I am pleased to be a member.

I do agree with you, the whole concept of this website is exactly as you have stated. 

The cost of premium rate phone calls are made purely for profit not service. Service should be a priority to ensure customers are happy, resulting in return business. In the case of Dr's surgeries charging patients premium rates, they should be ashamed of themselves as so many of their patients are on benefits. Especially the elderly on pensions, they cannot afford to pay these high charges, nor should they have to. My elderly fathers surgery uses an 0844 number & he complained on a form they asked patients to fill in regarding the service they provide. As well as having to press different numbers for different departments he has to sometimes wait as he is in a queue! All I can say is that I think it is disgraceful!

Jennie

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:20am

Jennie wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:32am:
… My elderly fathers surgery uses an 0844 number & he complained on a form they asked patients to fill in regarding the service they provide. As well as having to press different numbers for different departments he has to sometimes wait as he is in a queue! All I can say is that I think it is disgraceful!

Maybe you could post details of this surgery in the Geographical Requests section of the forum and we will see if we can find the geographical number.

What is the problem with your laptop?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #17 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:39am

Dave wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 2:16am:
The main reason for saying no to 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 is the covert nature of the premium charges.

And 0843, 0872, 0873 070.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 10:45am

Jennie wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:32am:
Hello Dave

The cost of premium rate phone calls are made purely for profit not service. Service should be a priority to ensure customers are happy, resulting in return business.

So, tell me who is going to pay for this service if you don't want to? I don't think the chappie at the end of the phone is going to help you for free, he has to pay his mortgage like everyone else. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #19 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 1:25pm

sherbert wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 10:45am:
So, tell me who is going to pay for this service if you don't want to? I don't think the chappie at the end of the phone is going to help you for free, he has to pay his mortgage like everyone else. Roll Eyes

Most people feel that companies should be able to absorb the cost of a certain amount of after-sales services as an overhead. The canny consumer will wish to push this as far as they can. There is plenty of excuse (and justification) for this in the IT industry where nobody knows quite what they are selling and buying.

Overhead costs have to be met out of the gross profit earned on sales. That is how those providing services to a company that do not directly produce income are able to pay their mortgage.

Whilst some would see use of premium rate telephone numbers as an effective way of levying a proportionate fee for properly chargeable assistance, there are many who disagree, and that position is generally reflected by SayNoTo0870. There are many other ways of collecting such a charge, however use of this proportionate and administratively established method has an obvious appeal. The significant variation in the fee paid, according to the (originating) telephone service provider, and the actual cost often being unclear ("other providers charges may vary" cannot be regarded as adequate, as it is an explicit confirmation that relevant and necessary information is not being provided) are two of the major disadvantages. Sadly these facts are often exploited to misrepresent and even hide the charge.

I have always seen there to be a vast difference between cases such as that addressed here and those such as the NHS service provider (e.g. a GP), which has no justification whatsoever for imposing any charge on someone accessing its services. There are features in common, but I see the important issues as being quite distinct.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:50pm

The point I am trying to make is, if you took your computer to a 'computer doctor' to fix in his shop or wherever, you would not expect him to do it for free, anymore if you took your car to a garage to be fixed.

If you were on the telephone for an hour at 50 pence a minute and you managed to fix the machine with the guy's advice, that seems a cheaper option to me than finding someone to do it for you. (and also letting a stranger having access to your hard drive)

Reminds me of the story of the guy who took his car to be fixed and the mechanic hit the engine with a hammer and it worked. He charged him £50. When the guy complained for charging him so much for just hitting the engine, he replied, 'ah it is knowing which part to hit'.

I agree with SCV when he states  those who call numbers such as the NHS service provider (e.g. a GP), which has no justification whatsoever for imposing any charge on someone accessing its services.

I don't think it is unreasonable to pay for advice, I do however think it is unreasonable to pay to make an enquiry, or to buy something or make an appointment by being charged for the call and that is why I spend a fair bit of time looking for alternative numbers for members.

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #21 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:09pm

The whole reason for becoming members of this website is surely to object to premium rate calls! The people at the other end of the line we speak to are not the ones who impose these high charges, they only work for the company or surgery. I agree that companies should absorb the costs in their profits.

I used to live abroad & tried to ring my parents Dr's surgery on their 0844 number & it would not work.  In the end I somehow managed to ring a normal landline number which was another department in the same building & they got the person I needed to speak to to come to the phone! I have tried numerous times to find another number but there does not appear to be one available to the public.

I also had a normal number for my building society, now when I call that number an automated message tells me I have to ring an 0845 number as the other number is no longer available!

If I take anything to a shop to be repaired, of course I expect to pay. This is not the same as getting advice over the phone. By spending hundreds of pounds on a laptop & buying an extended warranty, I feel I should be entitled to free phone advice if there is a problem.

I think I will just agree to disagree with you.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:15pm by Jennie »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:31pm

Jennie wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 7:09pm:
The whole reason for becoming members of this website is surely to object to premium rate calls!

Unless Dave or the other administrators disagree with me, I think this site is aimed at 'say no to the 08 range of numbers' and not the 09 numbers, I may be wrong, but I still stand by my reply #20

I agree with you that the people at the end of the line 09 do not impose these high charges, but those that do, pay for the guys to answer the calls. So the money has to come from somwhere.

Surgeries, government departments, shops and other services, I agree with you we should not be forced to pay more than an ordinary telephone call

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:05am

I agree with Jennie - after sales telephone numbers should, in my view, be charged at a standard rate or included in packages ie no premium.  The company has already made a nice profit out of the purchase price, they offer an extended warranty then charge you to use it via a premium rate no!  That I call sharp practice verging on deceit.  If they want to behave like that, then at least the customer should be able to chooe a repairer and the originating company pay the cost of the repair.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:09pm

Barbara wrote on Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:05am:
I agree with Jennie ... they offer an extended warranty then charge you to use it via a premium rate no!  That I call sharp practice verging on deceit.

I hope we are not talking about different things, when it is suggested that there is a major disagreement going on here.

I cannot see how anyone could fail to object to a significant charge that was not declared at the time when the service was purchased being imposed for its use. One must assume that PhonePay Plus would have something to say about this.

That is not the quite the same as objecting to all use of Premium Rate Services in all contexts.

We all like to save money wherever we can, and this website helps us to do that. I do not think that we have to always find a moral justification for having done so, even if such a justification clearly exists in some cases.

"Caveat emptor" (Buyer beware) may apply in this case. I personally never pay for extended warranties. They are invariably underwritten by insurers, so there will always be something in the small print to invalidate any claim that may arise under any conceivable circumstances. Software not working as expected is not "conceivable", it is inevitable!

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:45pm

Thank you Barbara for your support. I stand by what I have said previously.

I have ALWAYS purchased extended warranties, this is my 3rd laptop over a period of years. Having lived abroad an International warranty has proved invaluable as my 2 previous models went wrong whilst abroad & were written off. The warranties enabled me to replace the faulty laptops with equal, if not better models & makes. on my regualr visits to the UK. So I would always purchase an extended warranty.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 3:30pm

Jennie, you are wasting your money. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, for up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement) for faulty goods.

Read this http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Why on earth are you paying  for something that you don't need?
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2009 at 3:31pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Jennie

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:12pm

Sherbert I am not wasting my money as one laptop was nearly 5yrs old & the other was nearly 3yrs old. I kept both of them as they were 'written off' whilst abroad. I sold the first one explaining it's fault to the buyer & the second one was only written off last year & we keep it as a spare as it works well apart from a line down the side of the screen ( the reason it was written off).

By taking out an international warranty it covers everything whilst I am abroad. Had I been on the UK they would have taken the laptops from me to be repaired & I would have been without one, as sometimes repairs take weeks!

I am quite happy to pay for a warranty, especially when I lwas living abroad when I bought all 3 over an 8 yr period!

Thanks for the info though.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:41pm

Well done Jennie. I am delighted to hear that not every extended warranty is the rip-off that I generally see them as being.

We now anxiously await news of your success in evading the premium telephone charge for software support.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:55pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:41pm:
Well done Jennie. I am delighted to hear that not every extended warranty is the rip-off that I generally see them as being.

And so am I. This is the first person I have heard of, that is happy with one.

The only time I ever took one out the insurance company that issued the warranty went belly up and that was it.......never again for me.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:56pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge