Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calls from USA to UK using mobile (Read 9,248 times)
DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Calls from USA to UK using mobile
Sep 16th, 2009 at 6:46pm

I'm looking for some help please with calling from USA to UK, using my mobile.

Going to New York next week and I need a cheap way to call from there by mobile.
A US access number would be one method, the same as we have over here for overseas calls.

I don't recall seeing anything about this recently on the forums, but if I've missed it, apologies.

My current provider is Orange but I do have a phone which is not tied to them, so another SIM is a possibility, but does anyone have any suggestions please ?

Cheapest I've found so far would be Tesco Mobile PAYG with a £20 top up which gives £40 additional free.
The calls then are 89p/min (call or receive) and 40p/text, which is massively cheaper than using my Orange contract phone.

I've already had using Skype from an Internet Cafe @$3/hr suggested as the hotel charges $9.95 per day for use of their system.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 6:47pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Re: Calls from USA to UK using mobile
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:20pm

Remember that the US uses different radio frequencies than we do, so you need a tri or quad band phone if you want it to work.

I gather that it's possible to buy pre-pay "cell" phones or SIMs when you get over there which whilst may not be the best tariffs about, are almost certainly cheaper than using a UK based mobile.

A quick google and I found this page whch seems to be saying that AT&T's pay as you go phone charges $0.49/min for UK calls.  That's somewhat cheaper than your Tesco suggestion.

I'm sure there are also call-forwarding agents, that allow you to dial US numbers and put the call through, just at their are here.

A bit of time with google should assist you more (remembering they call them "cell" phones brings up more relevant results!)
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:20pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:21pm

Is this of any help to you? Just an idea, not sure if it is any good.

http://www.ulyssesmobile.com/?gclid=CNaEsPPe9pwCFUoB4wodHWpxbA

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:24pm

irrelevant wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:20pm:
Remember that the US uses different radio frequencies than we do, so you need a tri or quad band phone if you want it to work.

That's OK as all my old phones were Tri band & the newer ones are Quad.

Quote:
I gather that it's possible to buy pre-pay "cell" phones or SIMs when you get over there which whilst may not be the best tariffs about, are almost certainly cheaper than using a UK based mobile.

Will have a check on that but most seem to require £30 or more prepayment.

Quote:
. . . AT&T's pay as you go phone charges $0.49/min for UK calls.  That's somewhat cheaper than your Tesco suggestion.

If you look at the Tesco
pay £20 & get £40 free
, it works out at one third cost for calls, so the 89p/min calls work out under 30p/min, which is about the same as the AT&T rate.

Quote:
A bit of time with google should assist you more (remembering they call them "cell" phones brings up more relevant results!)

Good point ! Having worked for them for over 5 years I should have remembered that, but that was 1987 & "Cell" phones weren't around then !

sherbert wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:21pm:
Is this of any help to you? Just an idea, not sure if it is any good.
http://www.ulyssesmobile.com/?gclid=CNaEsPPe9pwCFUoB4wodHWpxbA

Thanks. I had a look at Ulysses and the price works out at 29p/min for prepayment of £35.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:35pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 1:00am

DaveM wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 6:46pm:
I'm looking for some help please with calling from USA to UK, using my mobile. [...]

PM sent.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 11:58am

Many thanks guys.

On further researching the Tesco SIM, the bonus prepayment added does not count for usage overseas so the true cost would be as stated, 89p/min & 40p/text.

From info supplied by idb, the AT&T SIM seems to be the best value and using the UK access through OneSuite giving a total of around 27.2c/min.

Will let you know if I have any problems. I can't be the only one that has had this dilemma so it may be of help to others in future.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 6:59am

Why not give Localphone a go? http://www.localphone.com/

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 8:51pm

Thanks JG but the slight problem is "NO Access to VOIP". Broadband charges at hotel are $9.95/day and if we had a 'puter there, we'd probably be using our Skype accounts for nil cost. I'm afraid that none of the others offered by Localphone do the job necessary.

Thanks anyway.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:01pm

They do provide local numbers you could call, so you could go for a cheap US sim, and then use one of the access numbers (I'm sure there's one for New York) to call home.

Just an idea anyway Smiley

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge