Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0845 HMRC and DWP get lots of mentions here (Read 29,589 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: 0845 HMRC and DWP get lots of mentions here
Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 12:21pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 12:07pm:
]
Taxpayers will be distressed to learn that DWP has now done a deal with the major mobile providers (the rest will follow) to pay them for making calls to its 0800 numbers free.

Why should we be distressed? Undecided

After all, almost everybody in the land is a taxpayer, so either way we are paying for the calls to the Inland revenue, and I would guess the consensus would be to a preference to a 'free' 0800 number.

The only times I have had to get in touch with the Inland Revenue is because of a 'muck up' on their part, so why should I have to personally pay to get them to rectify it? Huh
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 12:25pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 2:07pm

sherbert wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 12:21pm:
Why should we be distressed?

Citizens generally refer to themselves as "a taxpayer" when they are unhappy about meeting the cost of public services from which they do not benefit personally. This move represents a transfer of cost from the service user to the taxpayer. This is what also occurs whenever there is a switch from a 084x/087x to a 01/02/03 number by a publicly funded body.

sherbert wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 12:21pm:
The only times I have had to get in touch with the Inland Revenue is because of a 'muck up' on their part, so why should I have to personally pay to get them to rectify it?

This comment touches on the difficult philosophical matter of the relationship between the citizen and the state. I could again write at length from astride my familiar hobby-horse of the misapplication of consumerism.

To avoid going into this too deeply, I will simply pose a question in return that may help make the point:
How much should I have to pay to raise a query about my taxation that may result in me discovering a mistake that I have made, may lead to a change by HMRC or may be resolved by explanation and discussion?

I believe that it should be possible to raise such a query without any charge being made to me by HMRC. That is not to say that HMRC should cover the costs that I incur (in time, materials and incidental expenses such as telephone call charges) by raising the issue. For this reason, I believe that telephone enquiry lines should always be charged at the "normal" rate, i.e. being 01/02/03 numbers, not 08xx. I do not believe that there should be special numbers that are only for use in situations where fault on the part of the body itself can always be shown.

(DWP is happy to meet the cost of "first contact" calls about benefits as these are often lengthy, and it does not wish the incidental costs involved to deter applications from those who may be entitled. It also finds that many applicants would rather go through the process by telephone rather than filling in forms themselves. I believe that this a fair and reasonable approach in this particular situation, especially considering the fact that those who apply are likely to be in need financially.)

I further believe that in the event of a serious and significant error by either party, correction alone may not be sufficient. Appropriate and proportionate compensation for my time and costs should be offered in the one case and a penalty should be payable in the other.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:24pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 2:07pm:
For this reason, I believe that telephone enquiry lines should always be charged at the "normal" rate, i.e. being 01/02/03 numbers, not 08xx.

But in your reply #9 you say, quote, can I recommend adoption of an expensive premium rate number. end quote.

Now you are saying what Barbara, myself and others have been saying all along Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:25pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #18 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 4:17pm

sherbert wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:24pm:
But in your reply #9 you say, quote, can I recommend adoption of an expensive premium rate number. end quote.

Now you are saying what Barbara, myself and others have been saying all along Roll Eyes

Methinks SCV had his tongue firmly in cheek in the first paragraph of his posting #9 Wink Smiley

He makes this absolutely clear in the second paragraph where he explains the point he is trying to make. Smiley Cheesy   I think we are all pretty well on the same side, and I also think some humour and wit is to be welcomed otherwise we could get just a bit too serious. Smiley Smiley

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 4:58pm

sherbert wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:24pm:
in your reply #9 you say, quote, can I recommend adoption of an expensive premium rate number. end quote.

We all have our different views and ways of approaching these issues. That is why it is good to have a discussion forum in which to debate the issues themselves; a matter which I consider to be of greater merit than analysis of who agrees with whom.

My quoted recommendation was preceded by the statement: SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 2:37am:
If the objective is as simple as stated here, using the type of measurement which is typically employed to measure success in this type of situation, ...

Noting his present location, we may forgive idb for any failure to appreciate irony. The quoted example of mine was clearly signposted by this statement, which provided a qualifying context for my "recommendation". I even preceded my subsequent comments with the phrase "the point I seek to make" in the hope of enabling readers to see that I did not actually stand by the "recommendation".

Can we please try to avoid looking for "good guys" and "bad guys" in the forum. The two interests that are opposed in the context of public sector use of revenue sharing numbers are "taxpayers" and "service users". The DWP has just announced support for the latter of these over the former, whilst it continues to take the reverse position by rolling out use of a new 0845 number. It nonetheless damages the interests of taxpayers whilst offering only modest relief to service users by offering to call back to mobile callers after they have got through to an agent.

Today's announcement should make life very difficult for those who seek to offer a simple characterisation of the behaviour of the DWP. We have to be guarded in our welcome, but we must not fail to show some appreciation for the considerable efforts that were involved in taking this unprecedented step that may provide a model for others.

I say that we should applaud the "direction of travel" and its being the first to scale the summit that was marked with a flag today. There is however a clear lack of sure-footedness in the approach to other peaks, which others have ascended with relative ease. I hope that we can offer encouragement and support (and maybe providing the occasional leg-up) rather than throwing down boulders and mocking what has been achieved. To ensure complete confusion, I will conclude by saying that I do not agree with those (including some within the DWP) who suggest that it should wait for a higher authority to come along and remove the remaining obstacles. (More on this latter point will follow.)

P.S. Thanks to Loddon, who posted whilst I was preparing these remarks, even though he and I are totally at difference on my final point.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:02pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:08pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 4:58pm:
Noting his present location, we may forgive idb for any failure to appreciate irony.
As far as I am aware, my only contribution to this thread prior to this posting was to quote a BBC article, in its entirety and without comment from myself. The ironic aspect must be elsewhere! As with loddon, I fully appreciated the point you made in posting #9.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:09pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:37pm

idb wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:08pm:
...  The ironic aspect must be elsewhere! As with loddon, I fully appreciated the point you made in posting #9.

The irony may be seen to lie in my "recommendation". I had hoped that use of this device would not be lost on UK-based members, whereas it is commonly said to fail to traverse the Atlantic. In this particular case, it clearly arrived undamaged and was indeed appreciated.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:39pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:37pm:
The irony may be seen to lie in my "recommendation". I had hoped that use of this device would not be lost on UK-based members, whereas it is commonly said to fail to traverse the Atlantic. In this particular case, it clearly arrived undamaged and was indeed appreciated.
Very much so.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

olliecox

Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:40pm

When I visited my local JobCentre today I was proudly informed that they have just changed their 01xxx number to a new 0845 number "to help serve me better".  I was assured that the call was charged at "local rates" and when I objected was told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that is what "head office" have just instructed them to do.

So much for DWP being in the lead at understanding the problem and changing away from the 0845 numbers!  Cry

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #24 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:44pm

olliecox wrote on Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:40pm:
When I visited my local JobCentre today I was proudly informed that they have just changed their 01xxx number to a new 0845 number "to help serve me better".  I was assured that the call was charged at "local rates" and when I objected was told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that is what "head office" have just instructed them to do.

More on the JobCentre's change to the central 0845 number for branches in this thread.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 2:32pm

olliecox wrote on Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:40pm:

So much for DWP being in the lead at understanding the problem and changing away from the 0845 numbers!  Cry

The centralisation of the "front desk" telephone answering function is purely a cost saving measure. Unless the person who normally answers the 01xxx number has long coffee, lunch and tea breaks, cannot answer the telephone and always put calls through to the wrong extension then the new centralised switchboard operators will not be able to "serve you better".

The DWP has been focussing hard on the 0800 from mobiles issue, where it has taken a lead. Automatic offers of a callback to mobile callers on 0845 numbers was in the course of being introduced, whilst someone selected a 0845 number for the new centralised service. This suggests all the hallmarks of a "fowl"-up.

The Call Cost information on the main DWP website is still inaccurate, but it avoids the "local rate" nonsense, which remains all too common. Could there be a similar explanation for this possibly similar occurance?

IP Logged

fred21

UK
Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:44pm

There's a Number10 petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no2costlynumbers/ to:

"Enable OFCOM to enforce change of 0870, 0845 and similar expensive call cost numbers to all govenment offices to be changed to 01 or 02 geographic STD numbers or local call numbers."

which I assume includes HMRC/DWP.  

The deadline is 13 March 2010.  

btw: Hi - I've just been searching for non-0845 numbers for HMRC - and decided to join the forum.  Smiley  Put this at the end 'cos I'm not sure how "new posts" are displayed and wanted people to see the petition (rather than me).

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:34am

fred21 wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:44pm:
There's a Number10 petition ...

Welcome Fred.

The general spirit of the petition is to be welcomed, however it fails in two key respects:

1) The present Prime Minister has no plans to introduce the primary legislation that would be required to grant Ofcom the power to direct users of telephones to adopt any particular type of number. If the purpose is as stated, it is odd to demand such a roundabout route - the government going to parliament to change the law to enable Ofcom to tell the government what to do!

2) Many public services are provided nationally, from one or more particular geographic locations that change from time to time. The 03 number range is therefore ideally suited to this purpose.

The minor failings include the failure to recognise that many public services are provided by agencies, not directly by government offices, and use of the obsolete term "STD" and the meaningless term "local call".

For those who value e-petitions, it could nonetheless be worthy of support.

I personally see most purpose in supporting and encouraging the good work already going on in some central government departments and agencies. This needs to be spread around more and provided with more focused assistance from Ofcom. Much more also needs to be done with the other layers of "government" - local, regional and national.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:37am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:35am

fred21 wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:44pm:
There's a Number10 petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no2costlynumbers/ to:

[…]

btw: Hi - I've just been searching for non-0845 numbers for HMRC - and decided to join the forum.  Smiley  Put this at the end 'cos I'm not sure how "new posts" are displayed and wanted people to see the petition (rather than me).

Hi fred and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

There's three e-petitions to the PM (in as many years) which we've supported on here...and we're still here campaigning.

The best advice I can give is for everyone to write to their MPs with their experience on this, whether it be ringing HMRC, the Jobcentre or one's doctor. More and more MPs are talking about it, so slowly it is getting through. To see what they have been saying, see the Parliamentary update thread which has links to questions and discussion in Parliament.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge