Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
geographic number for dvla swansea (Read 57,063 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: geographic number for dvla swansea
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:16pm

CJT-80 wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 3:27pm:
Quote:
I can confirm that customers ringing the 0870 numbers now hear an automated message advising them that the number has changed to 0300, however, the customer will still be connected and charged at the 0300 rate for their call.

It would be interesting to know which telephone companies have authorised this statement.

There are around 200 registered providers of telephone service in the UK and each has a number of different tariffs. Whilst all providers are required to charge for 03 calls at no more than the rate for geographic calls, only one of them is subject to regulation of its rates for calls to 087x numbers, and that no longer covers 0870. This confirmation could therefore only be provided on advice from each and every one of these providers. In almost every case it would amount to special treatment for particular 0870 numbers, as an exception to published tariffs.

I suggest that the author be asked whether they are serious in offering this confirmation, or whether some necessary qualification has been omitted.

It would be most extraordinary if this statement were to be true. "I can confirm ..." is however a very bold statement for a public official to make, so to challenge it directly would represent a serious allegation of misconduct.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:20pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:22am

Barbara wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
Thanks, sherbert, may give it a try, I just feel I want to support the local post office (I gather they have lost even more govt business now), particularly being new to the area (use it or lose it & we lost the PO where we used to live).

Going off topic a bit, you have to wonder what is the purpose of the post office these days. I believe the majority of people have their benefits, pensions etc. paid direct into their bank accounts, thus putting the local hoodies out of work as they are unable to relieve people of their benefits etc. As I mentioned earlier, car tax can be done on line as can the TV licence which I understand you can't buy at the post office anyway. Those who do get their benefits by cash will not be able to get them at the post office as the post office has lost this contract. Stamps can bought anywhere. Utility bills are in the main are paid by direct debit or on line. The only reason as far as I can fathom is that a post office is there, to have your passports checked, post a package that wont go into a letter box and but an odd postal order.

I think post offices are doomed.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:23am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:55am

Barbara wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 5:05pm:
Thanks, CJT-80, as I read the response I was thinking the same as you say at the end!   I don't actually want to tax my car online as I have a perfectly good post office nearby where I can tax it, & would rather put my business there & don't want to pay the credit card supplement (also having had a bad experience yesterday trying to book a hotel room online, I know these things don't always work & there is the legal risk with car tax).  I just let fly to DVLA on the comments form as I haven't received my renewal reminder, it is the first one due since we moved & we did get new registration docs at the new address, perhaps my cynicism as to the reason for lateness is misplaced, perhaps they're just plain incompetent???!!!!!!!!!!!  I also find it very odd that their FAQs don't have one relating to how to tax your car if you haven't received your reminder, it was be a very common occurrence.  I look forward to reading any response you receive.

This is a courtesy by DVLA and is in no way obligatory on their part, the onus to have your vehicle road legal is on you, your permanent reminder is the disc in the corner of your windscreen

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #18 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:17am

sherbert wrote on Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:22am:
Going off topic a bit, you have to wonder what is the purpose of the post office these days. I believe the majority of people have their benefits, pensions etc. paid direct into their bank accounts, thus putting the local hoodies out of work as they are unable to relieve people of their benefits etc.

Townie?

We use our village sub-Post office for paying into and drawing cash from our current account (A&L - haven't been into the 'local' branch [11 miles away] for ages), buying VED discs for our cars and anything else we can.

However, the local Co-op has a Paypoint window so I have to agree that the chances of the P.O. being a viable business (they are privately run) for much longer are getting more and more limited.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:18am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:49am

Heinz wrote on Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:17am:
Townie?

Not at all, we use the village co op for 'cash back'.

I agree with you though with your comments, though putting in a few bob and making withdrawals can not be a money making exercise for the sub post office can it?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 11:47am

Derrick, thank you for that, we had always thought you needed the reminder to tax it at the PO unless it was a first application to tax that particular vehicle.  BTW the reminder did arrive this morning.

My original point with this post was that there are dodgy sites which appear when googling and could mislead the unwary and that the dvla itself has not updated its details on the directgov website which I find quite reprehensible after having had the 03 numbers for so long (their point about reprinting costs for stationery etc might be reasonable but how much does it cost to update a govt webpage?)

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 7:43pm

In regard to taxing vehicles online I have never had a problem and as our Post Office does not tax vehicles the Post Office is not an option.

In regard to "Not Receiving A Reminder" this is not a problem either as the Post Office stocks all the relevant forms - If my memory serves me correctly it is either a V10 or V11 form to tax a car if a valid reminder is not available

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 8:27pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 7:43pm:
If my memory serves me correctly it is either a V10 or V11 form to tax a car if a valid reminder is not available

If the V11 reminder form is not available or hasn't arrived, use a V10 (available at most Post Offices or print at home from the below link).

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/forms/V10.ashx
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2011 at 1:32pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 8:56pm

Barbara wrote on Mar 18th, 2011 at 11:47am:
Derrick, thank you for that, we had always thought you needed the reminder to tax it at the PO unless it was a first application to tax that particular vehicle.  BTW the reminder did arrive this morning.

My original point with this post was that there are dodgy sites which appear when googling and could mislead the unwary and that the dvla itself has not updated its details on the directgov website which I find quite reprehensible after having had the 03 numbers for so long (their point about reprinting costs for stationery etc might be reasonable but how much does it cost to update a govt webpage?)

Barbara,

I have just e-mailed them and pointed this out. I will message back when I have a reply.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge