Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guardian subscription services. (Read 10,933 times)
Excoriator

Guardian subscription services.
Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:52am

I buy the Guardian with coupons at a reduced rate. Something went wrong, and I failed to receive them on time. I had to ring an 0845 number to sort things out, which eventually they were, and the subscription service agreed to compensate me for the unused coupons.

I pointed out, however that this had involved three calls to an 0845 number for which I required compensation too. After a little shilly shallying, I received this. It is a small victory, but hopefully if everyone demanded compensation it might dissuade them from using this mean trick. I suspect they are in a poor legal position to defend these charges anyway.

If I recall correctly, the Guardian has in the past drawn reader's attention to the savings that can be made from 'saynoto0870.com' without mentioning that they are one of the culprits. This I find a little hypocritical to put it mildly.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:53am by Excoriator »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Guardian subscription services.
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:28am

I do the same with the Daily Telegraph, however their help line number is an 0800 one Wink

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:31am

This also goes against the apparent use of 0330 numbers for Guardian Offers, mentioned on here before.

Most of Guardian Media's radio stations 0845 numbers and one of its network has switched to 0844.

IP Logged

Excoriator

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm

What is the legal position on these charges? Surely they cannot charge you for anything without making it clear how much and what for?

Or can they?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:42pm

Excoriator wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm:
What is the legal position on these charges? Surely they cannot charge you for anything without making it clear how much and what for?

Or can they?

This is the problem.

Telephone charges have traditionally only been expressed in the amount that telephone call providers (call retailers) charge.

The fact that there is support (subsidy) to the receiving party has never been made clear. I say that it should be apparent to callers that this happens.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2010 at 9:43pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Excoriator

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:50pm

In the past I have written old fashioned letters to companies which these days they really hate. They are setup for answereing emails or phone calls, but snailmail throws them completerly.

Perhaps letter writing should be the norm for companies using rip-off numbers. I'm sure it costs them a lot more to read one, and to write back and post than they make on their telephone numbers. I think if a lot of people just wrote letters, explaning why in the letter they would not use the phone, then the hint might be taken.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:14pm

Excoriator wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:50pm:
Perhaps letter writing should be the norm for companies using rip-off numbers. I'm sure it costs them a lot more to read one, and to write back and post than they make on their telephone numbers. I think if a lot of people just wrote letters, explaning why in the letter they would not use the phone, then the hint might be taken.

It would require a lot of people to do this and I don't think that enough people have the time to write letters.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:14am

In many cases, handwritten or typed letters will be scanned and put into the same queue as emails and website response form entries.

An Ofcom consultation, which is expected to address the issue of splitting the elements of the call charge for 084 and other numbers where a portion is paid on, will be launched shortly.

IP Logged

Excoriator

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:54pm

What is your legal position regarding a request for a refund of whatever charge was made to your account from the recipient of the call?

After all, you have no idea how much it is, gain nothing from it, and had no option of not paying it. I would have thought this a good case for getting it back.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 1:30pm

Excoriator wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:54pm:
What is your legal position regarding a request for a refund of whatever charge was made to your account from the recipient of the call?

After all, you have no idea how much it is, gain nothing from it, and had no option of not paying it. I would have thought this a good case for getting it back.

All of the charge which the caller pays is levied by their telephone company, even though the call recipient benefits indirectly. There is no proposal to change this arrangement, even though better cost declaration is proposed for these "Business Rate" calls. PhonePay Plus does have a refund scheme for those covered by its rules, however this does not apply to users of 084 numbers.

Unless the cost likely to be incurred was actively misrepresented (there is presently no requirement for any declaration of the "service fee"), or the service as offered was not delivered, I cannot see any solid basis for a demand for a refund. Any dissatisfied customer can always ask, in the hope of a goodwill gesture - it may not be wise to do so by calling a Business Rate number!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge