Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Price Increases From 28/4/2011 (Read 33,760 times)
CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: BT Price Increases From 28/4/2011
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:21pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:17pm:
You are correct, my bad lol.

The point I was trying to make is that they are pricing themselves that high that those that don't need a landline will stick with a mobile.

In which case my post regarding NGN's over on the Ofcom Consultation page is even MORE valid,

If more and more users switch to Mobiles to avoid landline rental costs, they will end up paying higher costs to call 084/087 numbers!

Sad

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 7:19pm

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:21pm:
bbb_uk wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:17pm:
You are correct, my bad lol.

The point I was trying to make is that they are pricing themselves that high that those that don't need a landline will stick with a mobile.

In which case my post regarding NGN's over on the Ofcom Consultation page is even MORE valid,

If more and more users switch to Mobiles to avoid landline rental costs, they will end up paying higher costs to call 084/087 numbers!

Sad

At the end of the day, the increasing numbers of mobile only subscribers is doing to others what businesses do with 084/087
numbers.

The termination charges on mobile phones are about 4.7 pence per minute, which is roughly the same as that of 0844 g6 numbers (the highest type of 0844 numbers). These are the inter-operator connection charges, imposed at point
[X]
in my diagram:

Caller ----- <Caller's telco>
[X]
<Receiver's telco> ----- Receiver

Thus, the movement towards mobile phones is increasing the cost of telephony in general.

* I accept that no subsidy is paid on 0870 calls, but in practice, 0870 calls are generally more expensive than geographic and 03 ones, so feel it's worth mentioning here.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Dave wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 7:19pm:
...Thus, the movement towards mobile phones is increasing the cost of telephony in general
I see how this may be true but this doesn't excuse landline providers from actually increasing all their costs so much that it may force those that can get away with just using mobile to ditch the landline altogether and use mobile.

For those that wish to have broadband and don't live in a VirginMedia area are forced to get a landline which I personally believe is unfair.  Landline providers obviously use this to their advantage.

IP Logged

Trenod

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 6:47pm

Quote:
"Changes to our prices in April 2011
Daytime UK Calls
From 28 April 2011, the cost of UK landline calls made during the daytime will increase from 7.0p a minute to 7.6p a minute. These changes won't affect calls of up to an hour made with the Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan, or if you're on BT Basic or the Light User Scheme."

Extortionate!!! From 28th April a half-hour daytime call on BT will cost £2.41 (30 x 7.6p = 228p + 12.5p connection fee = 240.5p). That's half a penny (or in real terms, a whole penny) MORE than the same call on ASDA Mobile, Tesco Lite or giffgaff! Having a landline now seems a lot less attractive or even necessary...

Quote:
"These changes won't affect calls of up to an hour made with the Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan"...

No, of course not. That's why they're doing it - to increase customer migration to the Anytime Calling Plan.

How sneaky that these latest price increases are inaccessible when browsing the BT website... The aforementioned link (www.calls.bt.com/pricechanges) appears to be a completely 'standalone' page. I would never have seen it were it not for this thread.

Their last increase (not counting the obligatory VAT one in January) was only a few months ago (1st October, to be precise). Goodness knows why another is needed so soon.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 9:16pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12800177      Angry

20 March 2011 Last updated at 16:06

BT to increase call charges by 9%

Telecoms giant BT has said it will raise call charges by 9% and increase its monthly standard line rental charge by 30 pence from 28 April.

The cost of UK landline calls will go up from 7p a minute to 7.6p a minute.

Customers are being informed of the changes by letter, although some with specific packages will not be subject to the price increases.

BT increased its call charges by 10% and its line rental by 50p in October last year.

'Never welcome'

Customers on BT Basic or Line Rental Saver contracts will not have to pay the higher line rental charge, while those on BT Basic and the Light User Scheme will not be subject to higher call charges.

The company is also increasing the cost of its Call Minder service from £2.60 to £3 a month.

BT said the impact of the rise in call charges would be "minimal".

It added that it was happy to discuss plans with customers to save them money.

"Millions of people have signed up to our Unlimited Anytime Plan in the last year and 75% of UK landline calls on our network are now free," it said.

In the letter to customers, BT said it "appreciated that price rises are never welcome", and so was reducing the price of some products and services.

For example, it said, BT Vision would now cost £12.50 a month.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2011 at 9:21pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Trenod

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 11:16pm

sherbert wrote on Mar 20th, 2011 at 9:16pm:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12800177      Angry
For example, it said, BT Vision would now cost £12.50 a month.

Big deal. I know *nobody* who has BT Vision. It beats me why anyone would pay for such a lousy choice of channels, plus the same catch-up stuff which is available online for free (BBC, ITV and C4), plus pay-per-view films that can usually be bought in ASDA for a fiver (and watched as many times as you like for nothing!). "As of November 2010, BT Vision has a total of only 520,000 customers, compared to over 10 million customers that receive satellite services from British Sky Broadcasting" (Wikipedia). BT would do well to admit that Vision has been an embarrassing flop and axe it to save money, allowing it to concentrate once more on what it does best: telephone and internet.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:27am

There reasons why you should stay withy them  Smiley.

"Why should I stay with BT if you keep on increasing prices?

There are many reasons why you should stay with BT. If you sign up to our Line Rental Saver you will pay cheaper line rental than Virgin and Talk Talk. By signing up to the Unlimited Anytime Plan you can also avoid some of the price increases, plus we're reducing the price in April which means you're getting an even better deal. Our new price of £4.70 is the cheapest amongst our major competitors: Sky charge £5.00 a month, Talk Talk £6.21 a month and Virgin Media £8.00 a month.

We are always looking for ways to give you more value - for example we were the first company to offer inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers, and our Friends & Family discount schemes offer discounts of over 46% on mobile calls and up to 88% on international calls compared to BT standard rates. You are very unlikely to find better rates with our competitors.

And did you know we were the first company to give you free weekend calls? You can also get free voicemail with BT 1571 and can record a free personal greeting as well. You also get free caller identification with 1471, free calls to customer service and you can manage your account online at www.bt.com/mybt - for free!

We care about what you think, so we listen to your concerns and feedback, that's why we're including more free calls and more great discounts in our plans. We are confident that you are getting excellent value for money. "

http://www.calls.bt.com/pricechanges/?s_intcid=con_intban_YA_PCYA_Price
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:37am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:33pm

Trenod wrote on Mar 20th, 2011 at 6:47pm:
From 28th April a half-hour daytime call on BT will cost £2.41 (30 x 7.6p = 228p + 12.5p connection fee = 240.5p).

I'm on BT's Unlimited Weekend calls plan and that call would cost me 5p (via 18185).
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:33pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Trenod

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:00pm

Heinz wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:33pm:
I'm on BT's Unlimited Weekend calls plan and that call would cost me 5p (via 18185).

I was put right off joining 18185 when I read the following in its Terms and Conditions:

Use of Personal Information
Information you provide or we hold about you may be used by us and/or our partners to
i. contact you by any means (including mail, telephone, email or text messages) about improved or any other services and products, provided by us, or our partners, now or in the near future;
ii. carry out marketing analysis and customer profiling and create statistical and testing information;
iii. help us to prevent and detect fraud or loss.

We may disclose information we hold about you to third parties for the purpose of providing services you have requested, as part of the process of sale of one or more of our businesses, or where legitimately requested for legal or regulatory purposes, as part of legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings. From time to time, these third parties may be located outside the EEA in countries which do not have the same standards of protection for personal data as the UK.

If you provide false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this. We, and other credit organisations, may use technology to detect and prevent fraud.

And their Privacy Policy states:

We do not sell, rent, loan, trade, lease or otherwise transfer any personal information collected through our software or service to any third party outside our network.

Information you provide or we hold about you may be used by us to contact you by any means (including mail, telephone, email or text messages) about improved or any other services and products, provided by us, now or in the near future.

[The underlined parts are my emphasis.]

In other words, only join them if you don't mind being spammed via phone, post or email - by 18185 and its network partners - apparently with no opportunity to opt out or even dodge some of it by giving a fake postal or email address. Even if Heinz and others have never received any such communications since joining 18185, I'm still not prepared to take the risk. The sayings "There's no such thing as a free dinner" and "There's always a catch" spring to mind!
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:09pm by Trenod »  

IP Logged

beeuuem

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:33pm

In the ten years that I have used 18185/18866 I have received zero in the way of communications from them other notification of an invoice.
If you regard their terms and conditions as suspect you are quite  right not to use them.  As these are pretty standard terms I assume that you don't subscribe to any on line services, i.e shopping, banking, on-line forums like this one etc.?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:12am

Everybody moans about BT but............

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115990327

BT Snaps Up New Customer Every 30 Seconds

10:44am UK, Thursday May 12, 2011

BT Group has posted a big rise in profits, mainly thanks to its roll out of 'super-fast' broadband services which picks up a new customer every 30 seconds.

BT posted a big rise in profits

BT has added 144,000 customers to its super-fast broadband service

The telecommunications provider made £1.7bn in reported pre-tax profits in the year to March 31 - up 71% on the year before.

Revenues fell 3% but savings of £1.1bn were made.

The success is partly due to BT's roll-out of broadband services; it added 1.1m homes to its network over the year, the equivalent of a new connection every 30 seconds.

BT's Global Services division saw its orders up 10% at £7.3bn and it also turned cash-flow positive a year ahead of plan.

BT has halved down its pension deficit to £3.2bn

In the three months to March 31, revenue fell 6% to £5bn though pre-tax profit rose 21% to £610m.

BT has made big strides in tackling a major concern for investors and staff alike: the size of the group's pension deficit.

Last year, it announced a 17-year scheme to fund its £9bn deficit but said at the time that the pensions regulator had "substantial concerns."

The services provider has now halved it down to £3.2bn, and a review into its deficit repayment scheme by the pension regulator has been put on hold.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge