Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Increase Prices From 3/12/2011 (Read 32,172 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: BT Increase Prices From 3/12/2011
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:09am

Dave wrote on Aug 28th, 2011 at 1:38am:
Trenod wrote on Aug 28th, 2011 at 12:32am:
And their daytime call costs are getting beyond a joke now. 7.95p per minute, plus a connection charge of 13.1p per call? (13.1p?! Why not just make it a round 13p? Is that .1p of a penny absolutely *essential* for them in order to balance the books??? What penny-pinching cheapskates!).

The reason is because each call is rounded up to the next whole penny, so with a Call Set-up fee of 13 pence the minimum charge would be 13 + 7.95 = 20.95 pence which is rounded up to 21 pence.

But with a 13.1 Call Set-up fee, the minimum charge is 13.1 + 7.95 = 21.05 pence which is rounded up to 22 pence.

Trenod wrote on Aug 28th, 2011 at 12:32am:
From December, a 30-minute geographic daytime call on BT will cost £2.52 - 12p more than the same call on some mobile operators

I'll still be paying a maximum of 5p for my weekday daytime 01/02/03 calls from my BT line.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:10am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:18pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:18pm:
the comment that Unlimited Anytime is the "most popular" calling plan needs to be understood. One would take this to mean that it has more subscriptions than any of the other 3 alternatives: Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, Unlimited Weekends and BT Basic. The figures released do however leave this open to some doubt.

We are told that "Unlimited Anytime" has "more than 3.5 million customers", however the numbers of customers for each of the alternatives are not released.

I have been asked to explain the highlighted comments above.

They were included in the BT media release which gave rise to the many articles published on 27 August. Although I could not give a link at the time, it is now published  - BT announces price updates – then freezes key prices until 2013.

Quote:
[The Unlimited Anytime Calls Plan] is now BT’s most popular calls plan with more than 3.5 million customers.

If this is the most popular calls plan overall, its terms must surely represent the norm for those who make calls during the weekday daytime. The penalty charge incurred in the exceptional circumstances when a subscriber to another plan makes a weekday daytime call to an otherwise inclusive geographic rate number cannot be used as a fair point for comparison with the premium charge incurred when calling a 0844 number.

Similarly, calls to 0845 numbers cannot be said to be generally cheaper than calls to geographic rate numbers.

I remain disappointed that BT will not endorse this point, nor offer a stronger base of evidence for my assertion.

My battle with BT over the misrepresentation of the cost of the Anytime package for some customers continues.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 7:21pm

My mum has just received an email of these prices increases.

This BT page provides more information on the price increases from 3rd December 2011 onwards.

What I couldn't find on their website but is mentioned in the email is that they are removing the paper-free discount as well.

I know why they can say they aren't increasing some prices until 2013 after this price increase and that's because there have been so many price increases recently.

Naturally, thanks to what OfcoN calls competition within the landline market, the major (then eventually the remainder) will announce price increases as well now.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2011 at 7:30pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 6:50pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 8th, 2011 at 7:21pm:
My mum has just received an email of these prices increases.

This BT page provides more information on the price increases from 3rd December 2011 onwards.

What I couldn't find on their website but is mentioned in the email is that they are removing the paper-free discount as well.

I know why they can say they aren't increasing some prices until 2013 after this price increase and that's because there have been so many price increases recently.

Naturally, thanks to what OfcoN calls competition within the landline market, the major (then eventually the remainder) will announce price increases as well now.

So, from that do I deduce that we can go back to having bills in the post again?  I might ask for them but  guess I will get two finger salute. Wink

It is rather like the solar panels.

Get you hooked and then take away the carrot.

In BT's case the paperless bills

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2011 at 8:17pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

mumsaysno

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:19pm:
... Further to the preceding posting, my second concern is over a charging error for customers who still subscribe to the "annually renewed" option for Unlimited Anytime. At some points this was the only (or cheapest) way of subscribing to Unlimited Anytime, although that has now changed.

At least one customer (myself) has been the victim of what have been acknowledged as charging errors under this option, even though the charges billed were as shown in the formal BT Price List!! I describe the two errors below....

and

... We have no idea what will happen to the charges for this item on 3 December.

and

... I have therefore drawn BT's attention to the fact that I propose to take this matter to Ofcom also, once it has had a chance to address it properly.

Hello

As you suspected, you are not the only one affected by this. Until I found this thread the other week, I thought I was going astray somewhere with my calculations. I would be very interested in hearing how you resolved the matter, as even with an escalated complaint ongoing, the issue is not being 'understood' by those handling same........I also have experience, now, of what happened to rolling-contracts that would have been due (had they not been abolished) after 3rd Dec 2011.......this too has caused issues which I am sure you would like to hear further about.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - May 13th, 2012 at 9:04am

I am probably putting this in the wrong place, so apoloies in advance if I have Wink

I was talking to someone last night who has the 'anytime plan' with BT. He was telling me that when he dials a 0845 number that is followed by seven numbers instead of six, he gets charged.

I could not believe what I was hearing and assured me for this particular call (I have no idea who it was for) he got charged 44 pence.

Is this correct? I can't find anything about this type of call on the BT web site, which does not mean it is not hidden away somwhere.

Anyone ever come accross this before?

Thanks

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:11am

sherbert wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 9:04am:
I am probably putting this in the wrong place, so apoloies in advance if I have Wink

I was talking to someone last night who has the 'anytime plan' with BT. He was telling me that when he dials a 0845 number that is followed by seven numbers instead of six, he gets charged.

I could not believe what I was hearing and assured me for this particular call (I have no idea who it was for) he got charged 44 pence.

Is this correct? I can't find anything about this type of call on the BT web site, which does not mean it is not hidden away somwhere.

Anyone ever come accross this before?

Thanks

BT do charge for certain 0845 numbers regardless of which plan you are on or he went over the 60 minutes duration, or exceeded the monthly allowance of 150 calls, or 1000 minutes to these numbers :-

From HERE, (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=2...) then click on "The legal stuff"

Inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers. Inclusive 0845 and 0870 calls of up to 60 minutes duration (excluding indirect access numbers and dial-up internet access) available dependent on your Calling Plan: weekends only (with the Unlimited Weekend Plan), evening & weekends (with the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan), or any time (with the Unlimited Anytime Plan). Fair use policy applies – max. 1,000 mins or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits on free calls is exceeded, BT will charge for these calls until further notice See Terms & Conditions for full details.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:11am

sherbert wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 9:04am:

There are no 0845 numbers with six digits (following the 0845 prefix). All are 0845 + 7-digits (except for NHS Direct which is an unusually short number, 0845 4647).

Some 0845 numbers are chargeable, such as those being identified as being used for dial-up. This is the same with geographic numbers.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:47am

Thanks for that guys Smiley

IP Logged

catj

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2012 at 2:51pm

Quote:

The only 08 numbers that are shorter than usual (where 'usual' is a 0 followed by 10 digits) are some 0800 numbers (which have a 0 followed by 9 digits) and the two special numbers 0800 11 11 and 0845 46 47 (both of which have a 0 followed by 7 digits).

All other 08 numbers (0808, 084x and 087x) have a 0 followed by 10 digits.

Additionally, all 0500 numbers are shorter than usual (for 0500 numbers the 0 is always followed by 9 digits).
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2012 at 5:11pm by catj »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2012 at 8:37am

Thanks for all the replies.

However, how do you recognise a 0845 number that is going to be charged outside the calling plan before you make the call?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2012 at 9:45am

sherbert wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 8:37am:

However, how do you recognise a 0845 number that is going to be charged outside the calling plan before you make the call?

Thanks Smiley

Unfortunately, in the same way that you know which network a mobile number is connected to (as this could make a significant difference to the cost call treatment) Sad

You rely on what you know about the person you are calling, or what they have told you.

In the case of a 0845 number being used for indirect access or internet dial-up you are likely to know why you are calling the number.

In the context of "simplifying non-geographic numbers", these anomalies (which have presumably been exceptionally allowed to remain) need to be cleared up.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - May 15th, 2012 at 9:49am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 9:45am:
sherbert wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 8:37am:

Thanks Smiley

Unfortunately, in the same way that you know which network a mobile number is connected to (as this could make a significant difference to the cost call treatment) Sad

You rely on what you know about the person you are calling, or what they have told you.

In the case of a 0845 number being used for indirect access or internet dial-up you are likely to know why you are calling the number.

In the context of "simplifying non-geographic numbers", these anomalies (which have presumably been exceptionally allowed to remain) need to be cleared up.

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge