Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom 2012 consultation on non-geo numbers (Read 53,184 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Ofcom 2012 consultation on non-geo numbers
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:22am

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:53am:
Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:36am:
ACs will be expected to be advised at point of sale and on bills and so on.
Can I clarify what you mean by expected?  Is it Ofcoms intention that this will be mandatory or that simply they hope OCPs will be forthcoming?

Given that the way in which calls to most non-geographic numbers are charged will be radically altered, it is inconceivable that telcos will not draw this to the attention of their customers.

The draft changes to the GCs will be announced at the end of 2012 (according to the current plan). I believe that there will be a battle over the question of there being a single Access Charge and perhaps also over the removal of call setup fees (connection charges).

The issue of cost declaration for 0870 was a mess. Ofcom knew that it had more extreme powers coming and that BT was intending to remove the premium from 0870 call charges immediately on implementation. The specification of the requirement was therefore absurdly weak. The investigations and enforcement arms of Ofcom operate on ridiculous consumerist principles, dedicating resources only where it is necessary to respond to extensive criticism, or where it serves a strategic objective. I doubt that there have been many complaints from those who cannot not see the premium rates for 0870 calls, because they are not given sufficient prominence. From a strategic perspective, Ofcom wanted to wait for its greater powers in order to address the much wider issue properly.

In summary, I do not think that much can be drawn from a very different situation.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:47am

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:13am:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:38pm:
Where organisations currently give an “honest” indication of the call cost (typically by giving only the BT pence per minute rate) and will continue to use the same number, then little will change. The amount will essentially remain the same, but it will be made clear that this is the charge that they levy in addition to what is charged by the telephone company.

There are very few who make this clear at present. Even bbb_uk has been misled into thinking that BT currently retains some of its charge, when it is prevented from doing so by regulation, which will be removed under the new regime.
It is my understanding that BT is allowed to keep some costs for originating the call albeit smaller amounts than other OCPs may do so.

I may have over-simplified the situation, however I believe that 5p will continue to be 5p, or perhaps something greater (7p has been mentioned as a possibility). The actual amounts have yet to be determined, however I believe that every effort will be made to ensure the minimum possible change both to TCPs arrangements and call charges that are currently advised.

The amount which BT is allowed to retain is (relatively) miniscule - a small fraction of a penny per minute. Furthermore, there has to be some allowance for the effect of the call setup fee and BT is allowed to engage in commercial arrangements so the amount paid on is not always the same, even though the call charge is constant.

"g6" is the more widely used example of the "5p per minute" call type. The table in this document does indeed demonstrate how those who compete directly with BT mirror its charges.

Whilst the "NTS condition" remains in place, keeping down the BT rates for calling NTS numbers, this has the effect of artifically deflating the retail cost of these calls, causing telcos to cross-subsidise. Ofcom is at the very end of its legal justification for this regulation - it has to go. I am not sure if an argument for its retention is being advanced!

Because BT does not operate in the mobile calls market (now slightly more than 50% of the total for non-business calls) its tariffs have no effect there.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:29pm

Can I clarify what you mean by expected?  Is it Ofcoms intention that this will be mandatory or that simply they hope OCPs will be forthcoming?

Going by past experience, a few years ago Ofcom changed General Condition 14.2 so that OCPs would make more prominent call charges for NTS number just as they did their geographical call charges.

I used the word "expected" simply because I couldn't find any bit of the consultation which talks about the possibility of this being covered by a General Condition, such as 14.2 (this is despite spending time looking). I didn't want to get readers' hopes up by spreading false information if there is no proposal for anything stronger!

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:13am:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:38pm:
Where organisations currently give an “honest” indication of the call cost (typically by giving only the BT pence per minute rate) and will continue to use the same number, then little will change. The amount will essentially remain the same, but it will be made clear that this is the charge that they levy in addition to what is charged by the telephone company.

There are very few who make this clear at present. Even bbb_uk has been misled into thinking that BT currently retains some of its charge, when it is prevented from doing so by regulation, which will be removed under the new regime.
It is my understanding that BT is allowed to keep some costs for originating the call albeit smaller amounts than other OCPs may do so.

BT's retention on calls it originates to other providers' 084, 087 and 09 numbers in miniscule. The BT Wholesale Carrier Price List which shows the outpayments that it makes in such circumstances gives figures that are about the same as its retail call prices.

Whilst regulations will change to create a system of official Service Charges, for the purpose of our discussion, BT's retail charges are roughly equal to the levels of what are effectively the Service Charges now. In essence, BT's current (regulated) Access Charge is probably very very small.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:41pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:35pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:47am:
I may have over-simplified the situation, however I believe that 5p will continue to be 5p, or perhaps something greater (7p has been mentioned as a possibility)....
Does this mean that Ofcom is expecting call charges to possibly rise?

Quote:
Whilst the "NTS condition" remains in place, keeping down the BT rates for calling NTS numbers, this has the effect of artifically deflating the retail cost of these calls, causing telcos to cross-subsidise.
BT and other OCPs may cross-subsidise things but there has been no evidence that I can think of that once regulation is removed that prices fall or even out across the board. 

The first thing that I think of is what happened when most of BT regulations were removed, costs of geographical calls and line rental rose to very high signifcant levels as can be seen now.

Now I realise that competition is meant to keep these things low but I dont think there is much in way of competition between OCPs (more so landline OCPs) because once one OCP increases charges, the rest just follow suit albeit some more quickly than others.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:37pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:50pm

Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:29pm:

Going by past experience, a few years ago Ofcom changed General Condition 14.2 so that OCPs would make more prominent call charges for NTS number just as they did their geographical call charges.

I used the word "expected" simply because I couldn't find any bit of the consultation which talks about the possibility of this being covered by a General Condition, such as 14.2 (this is despite spending time looking). I didn't want to get readers' hopes up by spreading false information if there is no proposal for anything stronger!
All I can see happening under new proposals is that call charges will rise simply because the OCPs will just bury (like they do now with general call costs) the cost of the ACs and SPs will just say that calls cost 3/4ppm (based on a now 5ppm call) and joe public will just have to guess how much such AC actually is.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great idea if fully implemented and more is done to stop OCPs from hiding their AC but going by past experience with Ofcom who failed several times to get OCPs to comply with GC14.2 despite several complaints by myself (and possibly others) not to mention Ofcom having to re-open a case on forcing OCPs to comply, it has still failed as can be seen today.

I think it's all to do with the constant approach of light-touch regulation and Ofcom's lack of proper enforcement otherwise all OCPs websites would comply fully with GC14.2 which just looking at the main provider (see link in an earlier post) it doesn't.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:51pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:07pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:50pm:
Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:29pm:

All I can see happening under new proposals is that call charges will rise simply because the OCPs will just bury (like they do now with general call costs) the cost of the ACs and SPs will just say that calls cost 3/4ppm (based on a now 5ppm call) and joe public will just have to guess how much such AC actually is.

The current situation allows users of 084/087 numbers to quote BT's abnormally low prices as if they were the norm. This has led to SPs being able to effectively mask the degree of their Service Charge. It has also meant that some are not aware of the Service Charge they impose. It also allows some call providers (mainly the mobile ones) to add huge ACs.

Those who do not wish for clarity to be introduced with respect to their Service Charges are likely to argue for the status quo. It is for this reason that I believe that changes must be made.

What do you think should happen?
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:32pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:55pm

Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:07pm:
The current situation allows users of 084/087 numbers to quote BT's abnormally low prices as if they were the norm. This has led to SPs being able to effectively mask the degree of their Service Charge. It has also meant that some are not aware of the Service Charge they impose. It also allows some call providers (mainly the mobile ones) to add huge ACs.

Those who do not wish for clarity to be introduced with respect to their Service Charges are likely to argue for the status quo. It is for this reason that I believe that changes must be made.

What do you think should happen?
I'm not the regulator, I'm just joe public who is going by past experience of dealing with Ofcom/OCPs.

I mentioned earlier that most OCPs do generally compete to a certain degree with BT on calls to 084x.  The most notable one that doesnt is VirginMedia and mobile networks.

So the current recommended wording for calls is as accurate as can reasonably be with a warning that mobile costs can vary considerably.

Like I said, without proper regulation, the new proposal will just mean lower prices quoted with joe public expected to go out of their way to find the AC charge.

I personally can't see joe public going out of their way to find the AC charge (especially if this can still vary depending on call type).  It took me a while to find out where BT had hidden the price of their calls now so for someone without great knowledge of using the internet, they'd most probably give up.

All that is needed is Ofcom to be firm with the OCPs and actively enforce it and sanction those that do try to hide their AC.  Like I said, GC14.2 was meant to do something similar and it hasn't and Ofcom has in the past just told OCPs that didnt comply off but yet they still don't comply.

As I said earlier, if mobile networks when promoting their tariffs inclusive minutes, etc also had to state their basic geographical call/text costs (for those outside their inclusive allowance) and their AC ALL on the SAME page; and the landline OCPs also did the same then this would be the cheapest and easiest way providing Ofcom did monitor (at least for a while) and actually sanction those that don't instead of their current light-touch approach.

So in summary, the new proposals seem like a good idea but without firm action by Ofcom to ensure the AC isn't hidden away like now then all that will happen is it will cause more consumer confusion over the overall cost of a call.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:57pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 4:53pm

Quote:
If I have missed your alternative proposal, then please forgive the following response.

Just taking the role of devil's advocate for a moment. You passed the test. Wink

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:40pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:51am:
This forum and the Which? conversations appear to be well populated by those who share the alternative view - that nothing can be done. This causes me to wonder why people waste their energy by contributing to what they see as a hopeless cause, unless they simply enjoy moaning and mocking those who are earnestly looking for solutions and seeking to promote support for positive proposals.
One alternative view is to revert to the situation prior to the introduction of numbering that has only disadvantaged the consumer; a situation that is of the regulator's making.

Prior to the introduction of revenue generating non geographical numbering, calling the local bank cost the same as calling your friend in the next street. Calling the bank at the other end of the country cost the same as calling a long distant friend. It was simple, and costs were consistent and, importantly, known, if somewhat high. Due to many factors, the cost of telephony has reduced, meaning a call to Australia now costs a few pennies compared to a much greater amount not so long ago.

Telecom companies started to bundle calling packages, so one could make unlimited, or a large number, of calls for a given cost. All well and good, and consumer friendly. Now, the growth of NGNs and their position that they are almost the universal number of choice for businesses, govt agencies, health services and non-profits, means that the bundling becomes less valuable to the consumer as the bundle excludes a significant number of typical calls the consumer wishes to make, and to add further insult, the consumer has to fork out an additional fee for the privilege of making a call to such entities. It is similar to an 'all you can eat' buffet where you are limited to broccoli and cauliflower - anything else costs extra.

As I have stated previously, any entity deriving revenue from calls, whether it is one pence or one hundred and fifty pence per minute, needs to use numbering designed for that purpose. Such numbering exists in the 09 PRS range, and any administrative overhead will have to be accepted by those using such numbering.

It is my alternative belief that there is absolutely no justification for fee based numbering to exist outside of a fully regulated PRS range with strong redress capabilities. This was the case prior to 0345 and 0990 and this should be the case now.

Every few years, the regulator consults and ultimately shifts the problem sideways until the next consultation comes along. As I said, the regulator has created this mess, and it's now grown way too big to go away easily.

Whilst some of the proposals in this latest consultation are an improvement to the existing position, they do not address the problem that is shared by many - why do we need to pay a fee to call xyz when we didn't pay a fee before? Why is it cheaper for me to call Bank of America than it is to call the Coop Bank across the street? These are simple questions that need to be addressed.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:12pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:57pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:35pm:
Does this mean that Ofcom is expecting call charges to possibly rise?

BT and other OCPs may cross-subsidise things but there has been no evidence that I can think of that once regulation is removed that prices fall or even out across the board.

The first thing that will be seen when the "NTS condition" is removed is that the cost of calling NTS numbers will increase.

If you believe that businesses simply charge the most that they are allowed to by regulation then you may not be wrong. If that is a bad thing, then the only answer is full state control of all business. It is EU regulations which demand that Ofcom remove the NTS condition and also demand an open market approach. Those who may share the view that all business must be rigidly controlled by the government will therefore be leading the calls for us to leave the EU!

Ofcom proposes to use powers granted to it by the implementation of an EU Directive to impose clearer regulation on the way in which charges for calls to NTS numbers are made by ALL providers, including those who do not have "Significant Market Presence" - which is now all telcos providing call services.

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:50pm:
… going by past experience with Ofcom who failed several times to get OCPs to comply with GC14.2 despite several complaints by myself (and possibly others) not to mention Ofcom having to re-open a case on forcing OCPs to comply, it has still failed as can be seen today.

I think it's all to do with the constant approach of light-touch regulation and Ofcom's lack of proper enforcement otherwise all OCPs websites would comply fully with GC14.2 which just looking at the main provider (see link in an earlier post) it doesn't.

As stated above, I believe that “The issue of cost declaration for 0870 was a mess”. I hope I explained why I see the present proposals as being very different.

Ofcom has to primarily rely on a market to serve the consumer interest. This is why it has had to go to such lengths in its current consultation to demonstrate that the market has failed, so as to justify the radical intervention which it proposes. Contributors to these threads who believe that Ofcom is fundamentally corrupt, rather than founded on ill-considered principles, under resourced for the job which many of us think that it should be doing and too often self-serving on account of its independent status will undoubtedly believe it to be incapable of delivering a proper result on any issue. Despite my many disagreements with Ofcom and intense criticism of many of its policies, I do believe that the current proposals on the "unbundled tariff" are worthy of support.

That is not to say that there are not many points that need to be made about the way in which the proposals will be implemented. Of course the requirements will fall short of what we may wish for, of course there will continue to be abuses, of course enforcement action will not satisfy all. The fair telecoms campaign seeks for change in the real world, properly aware of these realities, but not consumed by them.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:33pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
The first thing that will be seen when the "NTS condition" is removed is that the cost of calling NTS numbers will increase.

If you believe that businesses simply charge the most that they are allowed to by regulation then you may not be wrong. If that is a bad thing, then the only answer is full state control of all business. It is EU regulations which demand that Ofcom remove the NTS condition and also demand an open market approach...
I'm sure I read somewhere that the EU has regulations that would imply that calls to these 084x numbers be could potentially be treated as premium rate due to revenue sharing but Ofcom doesn't treat them as revenue sharing as far as PRS is concerned.

Although there are multiple OCPs to choose from, competition doesn't really exist with regards to pricing as they all basically copy each other when one increases their cost of something.

Does Ofcom have a price cap on what can be charged for 084x numbers (in total) in their new proposals?

If not, does that mean that a 0844 call that used to cost 5ppm could cost 15ppm (4ppm SC, 11ppm AC) if an OCP did so decide to have a high AC?

I know you may think that an OCP wont have such a high AC and although I'd like to think that, if you were to have asked me 2/3+ years ago, I'd never of thought we would have line rental, geographical calls and a connection charge as high as we do now!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 8:12pm

idb wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:40pm:
One alternative view is to revert to the situation prior to the introduction of numbering that has only disadvantaged the consumer; a situation that is of the regulator's making.

So far as 0845 is concerned, we cannot easily return to the situation where BT is a near monopoly provider with distinct local and national rates. It was in this situation that the option to have national calls at local rates whilst also providing subsidy to service providers to enable investment in enhanced telephony was introduced.

BT is no longer a near monopoly provider, so the NTS condition cannot be sustained. The end of BT Standard has meant that the concept of subsidy to SPs without cost to callers cannot be resuscitated. We must move forward. The way in which we return to the desired position must however take account of where we are now. This means that it cannot be as direct as we may wish.

It is my belief that the obligation to declare any service charge will ensure that calls to most businesses, govt agencies, health services and non-profits will become included in standard call bundles. I am thinking of those who have a genuine need for a non-geographic number. Ofcom has decided that this should be achieved by having only one range of non-geographic numbers (03) which are charged at geographic rates, thereby requiring many number changes - although only one digit of the number needs to change.

The proposed alternative approach, of having only range to which premiums may be applied (09, notwithstanding some other particular cases) has been rejected. One possible justification for this is the distinction between a premium which serves to simply offset the costs of a Service Provider, as against that which delivers income.

No operator of a contact centre with a 084 or 087 number hears the cash register ring when the phone rings. They have simply taken what seems to be the best option offered by a telephone service provider, often based on false statement about what callers pay to call. (There may be some who can handle incoming calls at a cost of less than 10p per minute, e.g. dialup ISPs and some other providers of particular telecoms services, but I do not believe that they are the main focus of our concern here.)

Providers of "Premium Rate Services" on 09 numbers understand that they must declare the cost of their service and offer value for money to their callers. Although this could never work in the same way for most users of 084 and 087 numbers (because the cost incurred by the caller is way short of the cost of the service) it does no harm to subject them to the same discipline in terms of cost declaration.

Ofcom states a belief that there will continue to be demand for 084 and 087 numbers when the cost is made transparent. It will take some time to see if this is true, however it is my belief that there will be mass migration to 03.

The fact that many have remained on 0871/2/3 numbers after them being designated as PRS suggests that I may be wrong, however I believe that this owes something to the general degree of confusion and misunderstanding. If a general move to 03 takes place, then it is likely that many present 087 users will get drawn into it.

I repeat, it will take time for these effects to be seen.

Ofcom is shifting the problem, but I believe that it is right to make it an issue between the Service Provider and their caller, with a relatively minor role for the telco. It is for the coop bank to decide whether the cost of its contact centre operations is met fully as an overhead, reducing the profit that it distributed to its members, or if it is to ask for a contribution from those who call them. The effective level of this contribution should not depend on who the caller chooses as a telephone service provider, albeit that their other telephone costs must do so.

I accept that many believe Ofcom should deny the coop bank, and others, the opportunity to be able to make this decision, or to somehow decide who is and is not able to make such a decision. In very many cases the option to make this decision will be withdrawn by the implementation of Article 21 of the Consumer Rights Directive.

It may be that, by a somewhat devious route, we will be able to return to a golden past age.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 8:59pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the EU has regulations that would imply that calls to these 084x numbers be could potentially be treated as premium rate due to revenue sharing but Ofcom doesn't treat them as revenue sharing as far as PRS is concerned.

I believe that you may be referring to Article 21 of the Consumer Rights Directive, as discussed above. Under the terms of the unbundled tariff there will be no doubt that calls to 084x numbers are not charged at the "basic rate".

Although there are multiple OCPs to choose from, competition doesn't really exist with regards to pricing as they all basically copy each other when one increases their cost of something.

I do not want to get into a deep debate about market theory, however it is understood that in a competitive market, prices will equalise.

Does Ofcom have a price cap on what can be charged for 084x numbers (in total) in their new proposals?

If not, does that mean that a 0844 call that used to cost 5ppm could cost 15ppm (4ppm SC, 11ppm AC) if an OCP did so decide to have a high AC?

I know you may think that an OCP wont have such a high AC and although I'd like to think that, if you were to have asked me 2/3+ years ago, I'd never of thought we would have line rental, geographical calls and a connection charge as high as we do now!

Capped aggregate retail prices was an option put forward in the previous Ofcom consultation. It has not been taken forward. I believe that Ofcom shares my distaste for the concept of retail price capping.

Ofcom proposes caps on the Service Charge for each broad range of types of number, e.g. 084  - 5p, 087 - 10p. These are examples based on the current situation - nothing has been decided, and some provision will need to be made for general price inflation and possible future VAT rate changes. Ofcom also proposes that there be a single Access Charge per tariff, expressed as a ppm rate not a per call charge. There are arguments about the latter proposal, on issues that become complex.

What you refer to as the rate for geographic calls is probably the "penalty charge" that is imposed on those who call outside the terms of the call plan that they have chosen. The connection charge (which also applies to calls that are never covered by call plans) is also partly "penal". These charges continue to increase at a most significant rate, in part to secure subscriptions to the most inclusive package that is appropriate for the customer. Because headline competition is on the price of inclusive packages, it is natural for other charges to be used as a source of increased revenue.

Rates for NTS numbers are currently stated by SPs with no reference whatsoever to the call setup fee. The fact that the unbundled call cost declaration will have to refer to the Access Charge should serve to give it increased prominence, although one cannot fully predict how effective this will be in encouraging comparisons. The fact that the Service Charge rate is outside the control of the telco should put more emphasis on the Access Charge rates charged by the different telcos, so as to encourage competition.

It will only be when telcos start coming forward with their suggestions about what their Access Charges are likely to be that we will really know what is likely to happen. Given the radical nature of the changes that are coming, I do not believe that this will wholly escape attention.

I do not have sufficient knowledge of the present and future market to make predictions about actual cost levels. I comment primarily on the principles involved in the proposals, although I am ready to be drawn into general discussion on the particular effects that will be seen.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #28 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 8:07pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 8:12pm:
It is my belief that the obligation to declare any service charge will ensure that calls to most businesses, govt agencies, health services and non-profits will become included in standard call bundles....
Personally all I think will happen is that SPs will just state the SP part of it as Ofcom proposes which could potentially be actually lower than the current price guides and if us consumer complain they can just say that nothing has changed their side as in they (the SP and TCP) still get the same amount per call and it's the consumers telco (OCP) which is adding extra on to the call so complain to them.  So the SP & TCP will just name & shame the OCP as the reason for the price hike.

Quote:
No operator of a contact centre with a 084 or 087 number hears the cash register ring when the phone rings. They have simply taken what seems to be the best option offered by a telephone service provider, often based on false statement about what callers pay to call...
I disagree.  Whilst some operators may not actually get a rebate as its used for call diversion and other telephone features, there are also some SPs that choose it because of the actual rebate possible without being subject to actual PRS but I also agree that some SPs may have been misled.

Just a quick search found this and for an 0844 they say it's possible to have a rebate of upto 4ppm.  The cost of the number can be got for free and can come with no monthly charge.

It's my belief that if a contact centre needed the features that a NGN brings and didn't want this paid for out of profit/general running costs then they could choose other number ranges like 0845.  Personally, I'd prefer the 03x range but I accept that the 0845 is a happy medium as it must be possible to get this number range without the additional costs of an 03 number and it's rare if not unlikely that an 0845 teleco provider actually passes any rebate to the called party (SP).

Quote:
Ofcom states a belief that there will continue to be demand for 084 and 087 numbers when the cost is made transparent. It will take some time to see if this is true, however it is my belief that there will be mass migration to 03.
It is my belief that there will be no or hardly any change like there was with 0871 when it came under PRS.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 8:13pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #29 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 11:33pm

It is my belief that the obligation to declare any service charge will ensure that calls to most businesses, govt agencies, health services and non-profits will become included in standard call bundles.
I hope that you are right, but I have my doubts. The problem is simply too pervasive.

No operator of a contact centre with a 084 or 087 number hears the cash register ring when the phone rings. They have simply taken what seems to be the best option offered by a telephone service provider, often based on false statement about what callers pay to call.
While the cash register sounds probably do not automatically ring, I do believe that, given the all pervasiveness, end users of NGNs generally now accept that this is useful revenue for very little effort, and some will exploit this to the maximum extent. It is morally wrong.

Again, I hope you are correct, but I can't see certain operators releasing this easy and in some cases substantial revenue source.

The starting point with respect to campaigning against the use of NGNs should be that the customer should pay only the cost of conveyance of the call and not an additional fee to the recipient. A simple and valid analogy is with the mailing of a letter. This concept of fee payment only started with the introduction of 0345 etc. It didn't exist in the past, it doesn't exist in many other places, nor should it continue to prevail. If there is a true value added service that the customer is willing to fund in addition to the call transit charge, ie a premium, then all well and good. Such numbers must exist as PRS entities, even if the premium is low. Users of such numbers will have to accept the enhanced regulatory consequences of using such numbers. The Ofcom proposals, while useful, do not address the fundamental problem, a problem that causes significant expense for the average phone user.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge