Who Gets The Money? (Read 61,067 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Who Gets The Money?
Reply #15 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:48pm

rao wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:24pm:
Wow.
Having innocently started this thread in order to understand the situation, I now feel I have intruded on a private conversation.

rao

Please forgive the direct question and answer approach which created the effect of a private conversation. The questions and answers were for the benefit of all. The issues have been covered at a more basic level elsewhere in the forum. They are also covered at the following link - http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/ofcom-reform-of-non-geographic-numbers.html.

Your summary of the history is excellent. There is, of course, much more to it. It appears that catj (another expert campaigner) will be covering this shortly - see #14.

The important current point is that the Ofcom changes will address the situation in three vital respects:
  • Those who benefit from Service Charges will have to declare them

• The telcos will have to declare their own Access Charges separately

• BT will no longer be in a special position, which can be exploited to give misleading general price indications

When this is announced as a reality, rather than simply as proposals, probably in January, campaigners must ensure that the message is clearly communicated and prompt action is taken by those who are affected. The new regulations and requirements will have a long "lead time", giving up to 18 months for organisations to prepare. During this time, those who are unable to justify their Service Charge will have to change their arrangements.

Some contributors to this forum, now presenting as the fair telecoms campaign, have long been pressing "invalid" users of 084/087 numbers to change their arrangements. Publication of alternative numbers is only truly proper as a way of saving money by avoiding properly imposed Service Charges. (It is valuable, but only a partial answer, in respect of improperly imposed Service Charges and can divert campaigning energy away from the need for change.)

Once the forthcoming requirements are formally announced, 084/087 users will have to face the prospect of having to justify their Service Charge, as it will have to be declared openly. We will seize on this opportunity to ram the point home.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:21pm

I've noticed in various threads on the forum that there seems to be an assumtpion that, after the Consumer Rights Directive comes into force, those companies using 084/087 numbers for customer services & lower rate numbers for eg sales and other departments will abandon the 084/087 numbers in favour of 03 or 01/02.  However, what is to stop them just moving their cheaper sales numbers to 084/087 as my understanding that the CRD prohibits the use of numbers for customer services which are more expensive than are used for other departments so they could harmonise their numbers at the higher rate?  I do appreciate there might be business reasons why that might not be wise although that hasn't stopped organisations using all 074/087 numbers and then spouting a lot of nonsense about "local" rate etc.   Have I misunderstood the CRD in that it might be better than I think?

IP Logged

catj

Reply #17 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:31pm

CRD refers to callers "paying no more than a basic rate call" which should be clarified to mean "no more than a call to an 01 or 02 number".

In that case, only 01, 02 and 03 numbers can be used for these services.

If 0500, 0800 and 0808 numbers become free calls from mobiles, they could also qualify.

It is clear that 070, 084, 087 and 09 numbers should not qualify.

That leaves only 055, 056 and 07 mobile numbers to consider.

There is an unintended issue with this very broad wording. What of a very small company that offers only a mobile number for contact? It seems to imply that they must also publish an 01, 02 or 03 number (mainly because 07 numbers are not "inclusive" from landlines).
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:34pm by catj »  

IP Logged

rao

Reply #18 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:46pm

I have no idea how you guys are going to get your message across and/or how to publicise what has happened and what it is hoped will happen.
I have done a straw poll of my contemporaries, my children and some of their contemporaries ( I stopped at the grandchildren because they think mobile phones are issued at birth).
Not one person had any idea about what has been discussed here.
A significant majority believed 0845 numbers were charged at BT local rate.
A significant majority also believed that 0845 numbers were included in their mobile/geo. call package because BT include them (the power of marketing).
What was most alarming was that no one was really bothered.
We seem to be sleepwalking into having yet another de-regulated service industry, which will inevitably result in significantly higher charges to the consumer.
We do have history here.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:58pm

catj, thanks for the clarification.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:09pm

rao wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:46pm:
I have no idea how you guys are going to get your message across and/or how to publicise what has happened and what it is hoped will happen.
I have done a straw poll of my contemporaries, my children and some of their contemporaries ( I stopped at the grandchildren because they think mobile phones are issued at birth).
A significant majority also believed that 0845 numbers were included in their mobile/geo. call package because BT include them (the power of marketing).
We seem to be sleepwalking into having yet another de-regulated service industry, which will inevitably result in significantly higher charges to the consumer.
We do have history here.

A lot of what we are talking about has come about because of the privatisation and introduction of competing providers in telecommunications services.

Despite this, unfortunately people still seem to think and talk as if we still had a single nationalised system.

Thinking that 0845 numbers are charged at "BT local rate" irrespective of which provider one calls from is obviously nonsense as each provider sets its own rate.

With telecommunications services today, subscribers are "consumers". In a consumer-driven market, price is one factor.

A single phone call connects two consumers (parties). The Unbundled Tariff is designed to indicate the cost of each party's choice of service. Thus, one party cannot pass off the cost of its own service as being part of the other party's. So users of 084 numbers won't be able to paint a picture of receiving no benefit simply by citing BT's prices which are abnormally low and callers will know how much their own provider adds on rather than incorrectly thinking that higher call prices mean that the organisation being called benefits more.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:09pm

Quote:

Some heavy advertsising by Ofcom and ASA would seem to be in order. The quickest way would be to include some details on every business phone bill.

Quote:

Little is known of these changes out there in the wider world because they haven't been formally announced. They'll be announced in 2013 and businesses will probably be given several years to comply.

Quote:

Unsurprising. The term "local rate" gets used a lot but it is, in itself, completely meaningless.

Quote:

Also not surprising. Do BT include 0845? I do know that 0870 is included with BT. Where things go badly wrong is that many people incorrectly assume that 0844/0843 and 0871/0872 are also included because the numbers "look similar".

Quote:

Have any of them ever used a mobile phone to phone a bank or power company? Five quid buys you 12 minutes and 12 seconds - less than the average queue time for most of these types of numbers. With a contract phone, calls to 01, 02 and 03 would be inclusive. From a pay as you go phone you'd get almost double the time for calling 01, 02 and 03 as you get for calling 08 numbers.

Quote:

Telecoms was deregulated some years ago - but some caps were applied to BT pricing which will soon end. Consumers are conned when companies quote those capped call costs as if they are the norm - and companies have been allowed to get away with doing that for far too long.

Imagine if in the shop a sign said "bread is 80 pence per loaf", but you were charged two quid for it at the till, you'd go nuts. The shop's response might be "oh we only show the price for the Acme mini loaf and none of the others". That's the sort of garbage that companies are getting away with when it comes to declaring the price of calling them by telephone.

So, you can unhappily substitute "has already" in place of "will". For example, the 1200 GPs using 084 numbers have collectively caused their patients to over-spend on their phone bills by about one billion quid over the last seven years.

Add in banks, power companies, travel agents, department stores, and others and it's tens of billions.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:23pm by catj »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:13pm

Barbara wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 2:21pm:
I've noticed in various threads on the forum that there seems to be an assumtpion that, after the Consumer Rights Directive comes into force, those companies using 084/087 numbers for customer services & lower rate numbers for eg sales and other departments will abandon the 084/087 numbers in favour of 03 or 01/02.  However, what is to stop them just moving their cheaper sales numbers to 084/087 as my understanding that the CRD prohibits the use of numbers for customer services which are more expensive than are used for other departments so they could harmonise their numbers at the higher rate?  I do appreciate there might be business reasons why that might not be wise although that hasn't stopped organisations using all 074/087 numbers and then spouting a lot of nonsense about "local" rate etc.   Have I misunderstood the CRD in that it might be better than I think?

The CRD requirement that existing customers don't pay more than the basic rate is likely to mean users switching away from 084/087 to 03. This in itself will make people more aware of the 03 range and more likely to recognise its neutrality as against 084/087 which carry premiums.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:26pm

rao wrote on Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:24pm:
Reading the posts it seems to me that an acceptance of the situation is developing. A bit like the drip feed techniques used by government departments.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not criticising the previous posts or the contributers.
It is just that apparently, I naively believed that this website and forum was about getting rid of premium rate numbers.
Perhaps it is and I just don't understand.
All I want to do is to be able to make telephone calls and pay a fair and correct rate to my selected call provider.

Banning all premium rate numbers is obviously one possibility. But I don't see premium rate numbers per se as being the issue; it is the way in which the system currently doesn't work.

There is also the fact that from a campaigning perspective calling simply for the outlaw of premium numbers is a much much much bigger thing than calling for changes to the way in which the numbers work.

There are two developments that are expected in the coming few years:

1. The introduction of the Unbundled Tariff for clarity of who benefits from (or incurs cost of) what.

2. The introduction of the Consumer Rights Directive (CRD) into UK law which will see many businesses banned from using 084/087 numbers for post-contract service helplines.

With number 2, there will be great in-roads made into stopping those who shouldn't be using 084/087 numbers. This won't require any great consumer understanding other than 03 is as good as 01/02 and 084/087 is not allowed for customer service lines. So people who believe that premium rate numbers should not be permitted will find that there are far fewer of them that they "have" to dial.

For those 084/087 numbers which continue to exist (and not prohibited by CRD), then those who wish to call them will find the system in number 1 in place.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 3:32pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 4:09pm

Some quick points, on returning to see a lively conversation over the last hour.

• The CRD will not prevent companies from soliciting sales enquiries on numbers for which they have to declare a Service Charge. Those interested in cultivating a very exclusive customer base may be ready to declare that they charge a fee for sales enquiries.

• A very large and increasing amount of business/consumer and government/citizen contact is now done via the internet, rather than by telephone. This has a bearing on many of the points made.

• Up until 2005, the cost of a BT call to a 0845 (not 0844) number was tied, by regulation, to the "local rate" on its "Standard" tariff. Technically this is still true and this is still reflected in the official National Numbering Plan. In 2005 BT started to withdraw its "Standard" tariff from residential customers. BT reports that this exercise is now complete.

There is other regulation in force which keeps BT call charges for all "NTS" numbers (including 084, 087, 09 and 118) unnaturally low. All of this will be lifted.

• The fair telecoms campaign has established relationships with the media. When the official Ofcom announcement is made, every opportunity will be taken to ensure maximum coverage. This exercise will have to continue throughout the lengthy period of implementation, especially towards its conclusion in the Summer of 2014. Every significant case of a move away from 084/087 will be celebrated and used as a model for others - see this recent example.

We are delighted to welcome supporters who may be ready and able to assist with this effort in any way. Support is also invited from those unable to make any such commitment - see http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/supporters.html.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:01pm

I have thought further about rao's quoted comment.

Many things in life are understood on differing levels by different people. It is accepted by people that when a light switch is turned on that the light lights. Most do not understand the physics behind it. The same goes for the inner workings of the motor car.

In this thread we've talked about TCPs and termination charges and so on which obviously form part of the solution (but in the background as it were).

However, what needs to happen is that the parts of the Unbundled Tariff need to be accepted by consumers in general.

At the present time they try and relate the cost of calling back to one provider which is bound to fail. Users of these numbers either don't give call charge information at all or give that of one atypical provider.

With the split or Unbundled Tariff, users of 08 numbers will have their part to play in getting the message across in the form a pricing message.

The aim, therefore, is that Service Charge (set by the Service Provider) plus Access Charge (set by the caller's phone provider) will become the accepted way of how these numbers are charged. There will be no need to understand the intricacies.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:38pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #26 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:31pm

Just a light hearted highlight in rao's post

Quote:
( I stopped at the grandchildren because they think mobile phones are issued at birth).

At birth when attaching the first nappy - "Oh here is your Mobile Phone."

At present kids have to have them almost surgicaly removed at 15, or on getting the first Job.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world nowadays - 5 year olds are more adept on Computers than many of the much Older Generation.

Hopefully this young generation will be more aware as Adults to sort out this scam culture in Business in the future - it will still be there, or just maybe Business will learn the lesson that they get more trade by being Customer Aware.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:34pm by speedy »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 9:44pm

Unfortunately, as they don't know anything of life before premium rate number abuse, they mostly seem to accept these charges as "normal".

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #28 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 11:06pm

Quote:
2. The introduction of the Consumer Rights Directive (CRD) into UK law which will see many businesses banned from using 084/087 numbers for post-contract service helplines.

1. On the CRD Exemptions List has there been any news on removing 'Medical Services' which would probably include GPs.

2. Should't GPs come under the Contractly part - although the PCT pays for Registered Patients, surely that is a Contract for a Service. As the RAC Membership Subscription is a 'Contract' for a Service, also you have a 'Contract' when you buy a Product and have to make contact regarding the 'Product/Service'.

3.Is this going to be another unenforced Regulation, similar to how all the 0844 GPs and Number Provider Companies that openly advertise 'local and Lo-call rate' on Websites and on Adverts and ASA does absolutely nothing unless individually complained about.

How is the ASA likely to react if I assembled a list of say 15 Providers advertising 0844 as local/Lo-call rate and complained? Also likewise a list of GPs advertising local rate for 0844 ?

I might just try it to see what happens.

IP Logged

rao

Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 8:13am

Great front page article in the Daily Mail today about HMRC and premium rate charging.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249713/Hanging-phone-taxman-costs-milli...

Perhaps this article will get the ball rolling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge