Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls (Read 63,808 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:57pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:09pm:
Whilst some are unduly obsessed with the issue of "consumer choice" and provision of alternative numbers is a major function of saynoto0870.com, the fair telecoms campaign does not see the process of offering dual numbers as generally being desirable or helpful.
For those of us outside UK borders, access to alternative / dual numbering is absolutely essential for the reasons that are self-evident and have been previously well-described. We have to be 'obsessed' with this choice as the feckless regulator refuses to do its job. It has shaped a numbering framework that is not fit-for-purpose and refuses to correct it, and I'm fed up with hearing that it just 'doesn't have the necessary powers'. It is the regulator and it should correct its prior mistakes. It will not do so so we have to waste time in seeking alternatives.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:50am

idb wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
Whilst some are unduly obsessed with the issue of "consumer choice" and provision of alternative numbers is a major function of saynoto0870.com, the fair telecoms campaign does not see the process of offering dual numbers as generally being desirable or helpful.
For those of us outside UK borders, access to alternative / dual numbering is absolutely essential for the reasons that are self-evident and have been previously well-described.

Apologies, I was not aware that 03 numbers could not be accessed from outside the UK, as this is what presumably has been previously described as being the reason for continuation of published dual numbering. (I regret that this was not evident to me.)

Any service on a 03 number that requires access from overseas, must then offer a 01/02 alternative specifically for international access. In some cases this is likely to provide a different form of service. This must however be identified as a specific exceptional condition, especially if a different service is provided.

Providing access to chargeable services from overseas cannot be guaranteed through the "Service Charge" mechanism, as 084/087/09 numbers are not accessible from all countries. Some other means of collecting the charge must be used.

We are now entering the period when all "premium charge" telephone numbers are coming to be recognised for what they are. Alternatives to these will come to be seen as a money-saving trick, rather than a way of gaining proper access to services that should not be subject to a charge from the provider.

I hope it is not too much of a disappointment for long-standing forum members to learn that the long-sought-for change is finally starting to happen. There is still a very long way to go, but the course now looks set. We are moving to a place where alternative numbers will only be necessary for certain very specific cases - I apologise for overlooking international callers in my previous posting.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
RBS and Barclays drop premium rate lines
Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 8:59pm

loddon wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:09am:
The Telegraph reports today that some of the largest banks are dropping premium rate phone lines with this item:---

RBS and Barclays drop premium rate lines as watchdog shames financial sector

[...]

The is absolutely momentous news and cause for real celebration by all us campaigners.   Smiley Cheesy Cheesy

This could be the major breakthrough we have been working for during the past several years.  Truly amazing !!!  Shocked Shocked Smiley Cheesy

This is indeed excellent news.

I've always considered that what the campaign needs is large well-known organisations to come off 084 numbers and to move to 03 numbers. This will set an example to others as well as increasing public awareness of 03 numbers.

Much of the misuse of 084 and 087 numbers has come about "because others do it". When questioned the reason given is often that it is standard industry practice.

The tide is now turning and big organisations such as HMRC, Barclays and RBS have, or will soon, abandon their 084 numbers in favour of 03 ones which don't carry a Service Charge.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:51am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:50am:
idb wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
For those of us outside UK borders, access to alternative / dual numbering is absolutely essential for the reasons that are self-evident and have been previously well-described.

Apologies, I was not aware that 03 numbers could not be accessed from outside the UK, as this is what presumably has been previously described as being the reason for continuation of published dual numbering. (I regret that this was not evident to me.)
Although I have not experienced any particular difficulty or increased cost (compared with 01/02) with originating 03 calls from the United States, I suspect there will still be many anomalies and exceptions, both here and elsewhere. Indeed, NGMsGhost has already stated that his 03 calls from Spain have been charged at near extortion rate and significantly more than the equivalent geographic rate. This does not surprise me and I'm sure that the feckless regulator is at least partially to blame. Whenever faced with an 03 number, I will generally perform a test call for a minute and see how much I am billed before going ahead. The situation with 0800 here is pretty dire - these are generally charged at mobile or 087/084 rates. The only non expensive way to originate calls to such numbers is to use a UK VOIP provider or Skype.

Until the UK adopts a handful of charge bands rather than the zillion that currently exist, then I am suspicious of anything that does not start with 01 or 02. Any visitor to these parts, who may typically use a $10 or $20 calling card, will soon find the value exhausted if they attempt anything other than a true geographic call.

As I have stated on many occasions, the UK numbering system is a disgrace and the feckless regulator should address its incompetence. It should stop producing consultations that run to thousands of pages of pure BS nonsense and fix the underlying problem - 'normal' calls should be charged at regular rates. It is done here so why not there?

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:53am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:02am

These are Skype rates. I have absolutely no idea what 'Premium Customer Support' and 'Premium UK Government Services' refer to in terms of phone numbers, and there appears to be no way of finding out. Each direct and indirect provider (and there are hundreds, if not thousands in this country alone) will have similar, confusing, inconsistent and incorrect tables. The poor consumer, who often will not have access to such lists, may find his/her call cut off after five minutes of holding for Heathrow Airport as the credit has expired.

This is why those of us who live, work or travel overseas will only trust 01 or 02.

United Kingdom

Calling - per minute 1

excl. VAT

United Kingdom2

2.3¢

United Kingdom - London2

2.3¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - Hutchison3G

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - O2

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - Orange

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - Others

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - T-Mobile

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Mobile - Vodafone

25.9¢

United Kingdom - Premium Airlines

$1.43

United Kingdom - Premium Customer Support

$1.43

United Kingdom - Premium International Consular

$1.74

United Kingdom - Premium UK Government Services

48¢

United Kingdom - Shared Cost - 0844

12¢

United Kingdom - Shared Cost - 0845

13¢

United Kingdom - Shared Cost - 0870

19¢

United Kingdom - Shared Cost - 0871

23.5¢

United Kingdom - Shared Cost-0843

12¢

United Kingdom - Shared cost - 0872

23.2¢

United Kingdom - Toll Free3

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:36am

idb wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:51am:
… I'm sure that the feckless regulator is at least partially to blame.

As I have stated on many occasions, the UK numbering system is a disgrace and the feckless regulator should address its incompetence.

It would be good to read (or perhaps read again) just how Ofcom is to blame for the excessive rates charged by overseas providers for calls to +443 numbers. There is nothing in the UK regulations to provide any justification for this discriminatory profiteering.

On reading the reply to my previous response it seems that the requirement for 01/02 alternatives for overseas callers is to cover this odd behaviour by overseas providers, rather than a problem with access to +443.

It is perhaps uinderstandable that overseas callers would like to be able to pay Service Charges at a recognisable series of rates, but I cannot see how this may be achieved, even when the charge bands are simplified under the forthcoming measures. The unbundled tariff provisions will not necessarily apply to overseas providers as they are not bound by UK General Conditions, as I understand it. I am sure that we would all be grateful if someone well acquainted with the issue could explain how international regulation in this area works.

It would also be interesting to read proposals for how the facility of international freephone calls may be provided, and to have some idea of the extent of the demand for this service. Clearly anyone offering a UK freefone number (even when these are fully in place) would need to offer an alternative access number / service for international callers.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:00am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:36am:
idb wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:51am:
… I'm sure that the feckless regulator is at least partially to blame.

As I have stated on many occasions, the UK numbering system is a disgrace and the feckless regulator should address its incompetence.

It would be good to read (or perhaps read again) just how Ofcom is to blame for the excessive rates charged by overseas providers for calls to +443 numbers. There is nothing in the UK regulations to provide any justification for this discriminatory profiteering.

On reading the reply to my previous response it seems that the requirement for 01/02 alternatives for overseas callers is to cover this odd behaviour by overseas providers, rather than a problem with access to +443.

It is perhaps uinderstandable that overseas callers would like to be able to pay Service Charges at a recognisable series of rates, but I cannot see how this may be achieved, even when the charge bands are simplified under the forthcoming measures. The unbundled tariff provisions will not necessarily apply to overseas providers as they are not bound by UK General Conditions, as I understand it. I am sure that we would all be grateful if someone well acquainted with the issue could explain how international regulation in this area works.

It would also be interesting to read proposals for how the facility of international freephone calls may be provided, and to have some idea of the extent of the demand for this service. Clearly anyone offering a UK freefone number (even when these are fully in place) would need to offer an alternative access number / service for international callers.

Anything the feckless regulator touches, at least in terms of telecommunications, is a complete disaster and I have no reason to believe that it has fulfilled its obligations in advising the appropriate international bodies that 03 numbers have equivalency to geographic numbers for rate purposes.

I am not the slightest bit interested in debating access charge, service charge or GC. These are artificial creations by the feckless regulator which has decided that 'normal' calls should attract a premium payment which is not in the public interest. This nonsense needs to stop. Any call, other than a genuine premium call (sex lines, horoscopes and telephone voting) should simply attract a payment for the conveyance of the call. That is what the public has stated it expects. It is how it used to be, it is simple, and it is non exploitative.

When I visit the UK, I can call virtually any US landline, cellular or freephone number from virtually any provider without the need to do test calls, look up complex rate tables and all the other nonsense a visitor to these shores avoids having to do for the reverse operation. The UK is a developed economy containing one of the two alpha+ world cities yet it has a numbering system, created by a feckless regulator, that is fit for a tin-pot dictatorship.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:06am

We clearly differ on the concept of 084/087 numbers. From my perspective there is no justification in the existence of such numbering *unless* the additional premium is met by the user of the number and *not* the originator of the call.

There is *no* justification in charging a *fee* on top of conveyance of a regular telephone call.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 4:51am

idb wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:06am:
We clearly differ on the concept of 084/087 numbers. From my perspective there is no justification in the existence of such numbering *unless* the additional premium is met by the user of the number and *not* the originator of the call.

There are various blocks of non-geographic numbers, each with different charging characteristics: 080, 03, 084, 087, normal 09, SES 09. (0870 is currently in a state of limbo; 0845 is the only other range that has changed its nature during its lifetime; the nature of 080 is due to change.)

I understand the concept of the 084/087 ranges as being to enable a Service Charge of up to 13p per minute to be imposed on the caller by the user of the number. I can see no purpose in having a range designed to allow users to impose charges on themselves! I cannot think why anyone would suggest such a bizarre possibility.

What other concept is there?

There is *no* justification in charging a *fee* on top of conveyance of a regular telephone call.

Indeed. Now that the truth of the "Service Charge" is coming to the surface, those whose charge is unjustified are being pressed, compelled and are agreeing, to remove it. Where the advantages of a non-geographic number are required, they are switching to the 03 range.

Once the shake-out has been completed it may be found that they are very few who wish to impose a Service Charge of less than 13p per minute. For the time being, Ofcom has chosen not to impose a minimum Service Charge, nor forced the expense of a change of number on those who are content with the present arrangements. We wait to see if these modest measures may be put into effect without challenge in the courts, by those who think them unduly radical.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:35pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 4:51am:

There are various blocks of non-geographic numbers, each with different charging characteristics: 080, 03, 084, 087, normal 09, SES 09. (0870 is currently in a state of limbo; 0845 is the only other range that has changed its nature during its lifetime; the nature of 080 is due to change.)

I understand the concept of the 084/087 ranges as being to enable a Service Charge of up to 13p per minute to be imposed on the caller by the user of the number. I can see no purpose in having a range designed to allow users to impose charges on themselves! I cannot think why anyone would suggest such a bizarre possibility.
Of course there is no purpose. That's why my preferred solution is that the regulator sets a date - Jan 1, 2015, where *all* calls to 084/087 must be charged at geographic rates for the caller. Any user of such numbers who believes that they derive a benefit from such numbering will have to fund that perceived benefit. The service fee has to be taken out of the equation from the consumer perspective. If Heathrow Airport needs the so-called benefits from its 0871 number then let it pay for them and not the long-suffering caller. We, the *consumer* neither benefit from nor need 084 or 087 numbers. They were an artificial creation by the inept regulator that may have had some consumer benefit twenty years ago but that benefit is now non-existent and has turned into a burden.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #25 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:32pm

An earlier date has already been set: 12th June 2014.

Any user of a non-geographic number who believes that they derive a benefit from the features they bring and who uses that number for customer services will have to fund those features by swapping to an 03 number where the service fee is borne by the called party.

Additionally, Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" will force remaining users of 084 and 087 numbers to declare the Service Charge rather than hiding behind a price declaration that quotes only BT's abnormally low call prices. That legislation was meant to come into force at the same time as the CRD rules but stiff opposition from mobile networks has delayed Ofcom by many months.

The problem is not with 084/087 numbers per se. There are legitimate uses for revenue sharing numbers with a Service Charge of less than 13p/min. The problem comes from businesses using these numbers for inappropriate purposes. The CRD legislation fixes that for customer service lines.

Once those principles have been established, many businesses will become reluctant to use 084 or 087 numbers for any purpose, or will be forced by consumer pressure to abandon them.

Quote:
It would also be interesting to read proposals for how the facility of international freephone calls may be provided

These are provided on the +800 country code, dialled as 00 800 from Europe and 011 800 from North America. The cost to the user is extortionately high, and therefore these numbers are not often used for conversation. The main use often seems to be merely to inform the caller what number to re-dial within their own country to make contact with the business.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 5:04pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 5:05pm

idb wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:00am:
I am not the slightest bit interested in debating access charge, service charge or GC. These are artificial creations by the feckless regulator which has decided that 'normal' calls should attract a premium payment which is not in the public interest. This nonsense needs to stop. Any call, other than a genuine premium call (sex lines, horoscopes and telephone voting) should simply attract a payment for the conveyance of the call. That is what the public has stated it expects. It is how it used to be, it is simple, and it is non exploitative.

The notion of Access Charges and Service Charges are actually quite real, even if they have not been overtly described as such until now.

Bringing this to the fore will flush out those who cannot be seen to impose call charges greater than a "normal" call. The recent announcements about Barclays and RBS moving to 03 is a sign of things to come.

Genuine users of premium numbers - those who can stand by the fact that they aren't a "normal" call - can continue to use them and can declare their Service Charge which is relevant to all telephone users, rather than only to a select few.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 5:06pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 6:14pm

idb wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:35pm:
Any user of such numbers who believes that they derive a benefit from such numbering will have to fund that perceived benefit.

This is absurd. The benefit to the user is the Service Charge of up to 13p per minute.

… my preferred solution is that the regulator sets a date - Jan 1, 2015, where *all* calls to 084/087 must be charged at geographic rates for the caller.

This suggests one of the courses of action that Ofcom has chosen not to follow. It would have compelled the confusion and expense of a change of number (from 084/087 to 09) to maintain the status quo, or perhaps the setting of a minimum Service Charge at greater than 13p per minute to prevent repetition of what happened when the 0870 range was effectively withdrawn.

I believe that either proposal from Ofcom would have attracted far greater criticism and opposition than that which it is currently struggling to overcome.

We, the *consumer* neither benefit from nor need 084 or 087 numbers.

The only potential benefit to the consumer of any number with a Service Charge is the provision of a service that would not be provided without a charge on the caller being used to fund or subsidise it. Compelling users to declare the existence and level of the Service Charge is an effective means of ensuring that only those cases where the charge can be justified remain.

I believe that there are very few such cases on 084 numbers and few on 087. Measures being taken by those who are properly responsible for preventing citizens and consumers from being exploited by service providers in general (as against telecoms companies specifically) will compel many of those, who do not themselves "do the right thing", to switch to 03 or geographic numbers.

There may be cases where telephone access is withdrawn altogether if the provider cannot have it subsidised at the expense of callers. Such cases, along with those where increased unit cost leads to a reduction in quality of service, will need to be addressed individually.

It is important to understand the distinct roles and duties of the different regulators. I regret that my current level of understanding of international situations is poor, and I would welcome some guidance from those more closely engaged in such matters.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:56pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Any user of such numbers who believes that they derive a benefit from such numbering will have to fund that perceived benefit.

This is absurd. The benefit to the user is the Service Charge of up to 13p per minute.
The only absurdity is the belief that the call originator should have to fund this service charge.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:18am by idb »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:17am

Ian G wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:32pm:
An earlier date has already been set: 12th June 2014.

Any user of a non-geographic number who believes that they derive a benefit from the features they bring and who uses that number for customer services will have to fund those features by swapping to an 03 number where the service fee is borne by the called party.

Additionally, Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" will force remaining users of 084 and 087 numbers to declare the Service Charge rather than hiding behind a price declaration that quotes only BT's abnormally low call prices. That legislation was meant to come into force at the same time as the CRD rules but stiff opposition from mobile networks has delayed Ofcom by many months.

The problem is not with 084/087 numbers per se. There are legitimate uses for revenue sharing numbers with a Service Charge of less than 13p/min. The problem comes from businesses using these numbers for inappropriate purposes. The CRD legislation fixes that for customer service lines.

Once those principles have been established, many businesses will become reluctant to use 084 or 087 numbers for any purpose, or will be forced by consumer pressure to abandon them.
My main issue with the CRD, and bear in mind that I have not followed it very closely at all, is that there are some notable exclusions - transport and finance coming immediately to mind. In addition, GPs have been, for some considerable time, prohibited from entering into new contracts which use 0844 numbers yet they still do. Will CRD requirements be enforced and how effective will they be? I guess time will tell. I truly hope CRD works, and if enforced, it will certainly help, but I do not anticipate those in other excluded sectors giving up their numbers.

I would maintain that any nimber that has derives revenue through telephone payment systems needs to be in the appropriate number range, irrespective of whether that revenue share value is relatively low. That range already exists within the 09 regime.

I had no idea about the delay caused by mobile network opposition. NGNs must be a wonderful revenue source for them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge