Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Expensive charges caused by misdialling numbers (Read 26,928 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Expensive charges caused by misdialling numbers
Jan 1st, 2014 at 6:29pm

And another strange thing, does anyone know why the directory enquiry range is so closely allied to the Reading Area Code (118 and 0118) so as to cause confusion to certain people and serious financial harm.   This is not a trivial point as I know of at least one dear elderly person who tried frequently to call certain Reading numbers and somehow mistakenly got connected to various expensive DQ destinations and thereby running up large costs that they could ill afford.

Why haven't Ofcom done something about stupidities in the structure of the national numbering scheme such as this??? Sad Angry      And how come it was ever allowed to exist in the first place???  Angry
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:18am by Dave »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Ian G

Re: Expensive charges caused by misdialling numbers
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:47pm

Numbers beginning 118 are used for DQ in many (most?) European countries.

It's a European-wide scheme, like 112, 116 and others.

If you mis-dial 0800 and 0808 numbers as 0900 or 0908 there's a similar financial impact.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:15am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:25am

Ian G wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:47pm:
Numbers beginning 118 are used for DQ in many (most?) European countries.

It's a European-wide scheme, like 112, 116 and others.

Given that situation the regulator should have ruled that 0118 could never be used as an area code so as to ensure that risk of confusion with dangerously expensive numbers was minimised.

Remember that 118 numbers are pushed at the public constantly and some elderly and others might come to think that it doesn't matter whether you dial the zero or not without realising the danger.

Ian, this European-wide scheme is a good point.   Wouldn't common sense indicate that the 011x range be better totally avoided?   Instead we have Leeds 0113 and other potential confusion points.   Begins to look like negligence?
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:36am by loddon »  
IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:45am

Area codes beginning 011x and 01x1 have seven digit local numbers.

This was planned in the early 1990s and actioned in 1995, long before the decision to use 118 for DQ.

At the point this was done, there were no other codes free to implement new seven digit local numbering. At the time, it was a good decision to use 011x for the new areas.

The solution now would be to move the Reading area code from 0118 to 0119. However, imagine the outcry that would cause.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:15am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:35am

Well Reading has already gone through 0734, 01734 to 0118.   People didn't like these changes but they were given no choice  Better would be to go to 022 or 025 in a similar structure to Portsmouth and Coventry well away from possible confusion with 11x numbers.

Ian G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:45am:
This was planned in the early 1990s and actioned in 1995, long before the decision to use 118 for DQ.

As 0118 had already been decided for Reading and the decision about DQ came later then surely it was DQ that should have gone to 119?

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:55am

DQ could have been 119 if other countries had agreed to it.

Apart from London and Northern Ireland, the introduction of 02 codes was a big mistake. Coventry doesn't need 79 million numbers.

Number plans are constantly evolving and can never be perfect. Perhaps people should be a bit more careful in what they dial. I think Ofcom have got much bigger issues to tackle than this.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:16am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:02am

I am not quite sure why this discussion has been allowed to drift off to address a wholly OT subject from more than ten years ago.

If there is a need for Ofcom to dedicate significant resource to reminding people that they do need to dial a leading zero when it is part of a telephone number, then some significant evidence of what is alleged to be a common misconception will need to be produced.

There are three misconceptions, which I allege to be far more common, that we are pressing Ofcom to address in 2014.

• The failure to recognise that "local rate" and "national rate" are now the same (in general).

• The mistaken assumption that landline callers need to make "a lot" of daytime calls to justify choice of an "Anytime" calling plan.

• Doubt about the 03 range, as invariably offering calls on the same terms as those to 01/02 numbers.

We believe that anyone who accesses a Premium Rate Service in error and incurs a significant cost is entitled to a refund, either from their own OCP or from the PRS provider. This should provide sufficient disincentive for choosing a 118 number that coincides with a valid 0118 xxx range, if the problem identified here occurs to any meaningful degree.

If necessary, a perfectly adequate remedy would be blocking such 118 numbers and 0118 ranges. It is also worth noting that those who listen on the line whilst dialling may be protected by hearing ring tone whilst dialling the last four digits of the 0118 number. Premature ring tone, or the absence of ring tone, commonly provides an indication of misdialling as a result of dialling the wrong number of digits.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 6:25pm

Ian G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:55am:
Apart from London and Northern Ireland, the introduction of 02 codes was a big mistake. Coventry doesn't need 79 million numbers.

That's a contentious issue, IMHO the big mistake was not rolling out 02 (and probably 03  - after all 04 could have been used for the subsequently introduced non-geographic prefix) codes to the whole UK, as was clearly the intention but they bottled it. Because of this we now have the ridiculous situation in Bournemouth and the like where local numbers starting zero and one are being used and everyone is forced to dial the code.

Ian G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:55am:
Number plans are constantly evolving and can never be perfect. Perhaps people should be a bit more careful in what they dial. I think Ofcom have got much bigger issues to tackle than this.

Agree with you there.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:17pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:02am:
If necessary, a perfectly adequate remedy would be blocking such 118 numbers and 0118 ranges. It is also worth noting that those who listen on the line whilst dialling may be protected by hearing ring tone whilst dialling the last four digits of the 0118 number. Premature ring tone, or the absence of ring tone, commonly provides an indication of misdialling as a result of dialling the wrong number of digits.

Do you think the aged, infirm or unwell, or even 99% of all phone users, would have a clue what is meant by all this?   The problem is that there has been a totally inappropriate selection of codes.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:32pm

If there's a ringing tone before you finished dialling the number, it should be pretty obvious you dialled the wrong number. Hang up.

So, should all the 019 codes be scrapped in case someone accidentally dials an 09 premium number?

Likewise, all the 017 codes in case some accidentally dials a mobile number?

Heck, if you accidentally dial a double zero at the start, you make an international call.

Or is this just another excuse to have a go at Ofcom yet again?
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:16am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:35am

loddon wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:17pm:
Do you think the aged, infirm or unwell, or even 99% of all phone users, would have a clue what is meant by all this?

I confess that I am struggling to understand what relevance a questionable decision by Oftel some 20 years ago has to the topic "Re:Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers". It may be that the aged, inform or unwell, or 99% of all phone users would understand.

I also fail to understand just how many actual 0118 numbers would connect with a live 118 number if the leading zero was omitted, as nobody has provided this crucial information. I am also unaware of the percentage of telephone callers who would deliberately omit the leading zero of a telephone number, thinking it to be unnecessary. I suspect that many callers, including the aged infirm or unwell, would recognise that they had mis-dialled if they heard the ringing tone before they had finished dialling.

As for this response to a proposed remedy for a situation, I also fail to understand the point being made. If the possibility of connecting to a 118 number by omitting the leading zero of a 0118 number were to be eliminated, then surely that would stand as a remedy to the problem as presented. There would no need for anyone, other than those proposing and implementing the solution, and those directly affected, to understand exactly how the effect was achieved.

Maybe we are not interested in discussing remedies to real problems.

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:35am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 5:51pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:35am:
I also fail to understand just how many actual 0118 numbers would connect with a live 118 number if the leading zero was omitted, as nobody has provided this crucial information.

I did actually start this process but it became rather tedious as there is an incredible number of 118 DQ services to check, e.g. see here.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:01am

kasg wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 5:51pm:
SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:35am:
I also fail to understand just how many actual 0118 numbers would connect with a live 118 number if the leading zero was omitted, as nobody has provided this crucial information.

I did actually start this process but it became rather tedious as there is an incredible number of 118 DQ services to check, e.g. see here.

OK, I will do the job myself. (The tedium is in presenting the information through this grossly out-dated means of communication. The source information is readily available from a proper source.)
A little bit of cross-referencing, using the Ofcom lists - 118 and 0118 - reveals the following information.

Of the 539 allocated 118xxx numbers, 402 do not coincide with 0118 xxx ranges that are allocated.

The 137 that do coincide are found in the following groups of 0118 x ranges:

Range Potential 118xxx   Possible Overcharge
subscribers   in use coinciding   risk
0118 0xx xxxx      40,000   4    40,000 100%
0118 1xx xxxx   170,000  15   150,000  88%
0118 3xx xxxx   960,000  50   500,000  52%
0118 4xx xxxx   570,000  31   310,000  54%
0118 9xx xxxx   990,000  37   370,000  37%
Total 2,730,000 137 1,370,000  50%

This shows that nothing has been done to address the risk of callers incurring premium rate charges as a consequence of omitting the leading zero when dialling a 0118 number and failing to recognise the error on hearing ring tone before completing the dialling.

I must repeat the suggestion that anyone who finds themselves connected to a Premium Rate Service in error should request a refund of the call charge. I have no reason to believe that such a request would be refused. Those who followed the arguments about Access Charges in the process that led to the newly announced Ofcom regulations will be aware that OCPs make extensive provision for what they (misleadingly) call "bad debt".

A numbering plan which separates codes based on the leading digits of the number requires callers to take particular care with the first few digits. One hopes that limitations to the numbering plan to accommodate the danger of mis-dialling is based on a realistic assessment of the competence of callers in dialling correctly. If there is evidence to show that current assessments are wrong, then this must be presented to Ofcom to inform future decisions.

As billing commences when a call is answered, any wrong number accessed by mis-dialling may incur an unwanted charge. The example given is clear to see, however it is thereby less likely to occur. One could construct many potential examples of single digit error, omission, inclusion or transposition that may result in unintended access to a Premium Rate Service, or the wrong Premium Rate Service - the impact of which is no different. The only remedy which occurs to me is the inclusion of one or more check digits in every published telephone number.

If, as suggested, there is a serious specific problem with callers to 0118 numbers believing that the leading zero is not required, then there may be a case for a public information exercise to correct this false assumption. Those inviting calls to 0118 numbers may need to make it clear that their number must be dialling as presented, and ensure that it is presented correctly.

I would need some evidence to convince me that this issue in general has a place alongside other important public information exercises on Ofcom's agenda for 2014. Ofcom is currently consulting on its Annual Plan for 2014/5 - see http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/draft-annual-plan-2014-15/. If relevant proposals were not submitted in response to the earlier "invitation to comment", then a response to the consultation is an obvious way to raise the issue.

(I must assume that the issue was raised as a point for serious discussion in the forum, rather than simply as a tardy and unconsidered criticism of a decision made by Oftel many years ago. To facilitate proper discussion, the OP (in this constructed thread) could have searched for, quoted and commented on any relevant remarks, or the absence thereof, made by Oftel, or respondents, in the public consultations undertaken at the time.)

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 9:04am

There is some evidence that Ofcom has in the past selected some number ranges based on their potential for mis-dialling. This can never be perfect. Every telephone number has hundreds of ways it can be misdialled; adding digits, omitting digits, transposing digits and any combination of those.

Check the final comment on page 9 here: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/numbering/slides.pdf where the new London 020 X range was chosen to avoid mis-dialling an in-use 0120X area code. The new range is 020 3.

The next one, probably less than a decade away, will have to be one of 020 2, 020 4, 020 5, or 020 6. Should Ofcom avoid issuing those?  Adding a "1" after the leading zero leads to a valid 0120X code. Of course, there's not the same cost implications for mis-dialling these.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 9:45am

Thank you SCV for your helpful and thoughtful post #12.

Thanks also for drawing our attention to this Ofcom consultation which I note closes on 14 February:---

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:01am:

Ofcom is currently consulting on its Annual Plan for 2014/5 - see http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/draft-annual-plan-2014-15/. If relevant proposals were not submitted in response to the earlier "invitation to comment", then a response to the consultation is an obvious way to raise the issue.

If I have time to respond to this consultation I would also endeavour to raise other points about anomalies and misleading number ranges and number organisation in the national numbering System.   I am thinking of the fundamental matter that now the industry has decided to sell its services principally in packaged form it is important that Ofcom give attention to the matter of packages and what they include and what they exclude so as to ensure that the public are not deceived.   At present we are being deceived by bold claims that all your calls are included whereas they clearly are NOT.  I guess that most callers are aware that most 084/7 numbers are excluded, but what about those 01 numbers that are excluded (Channel Islands) and whole ranges of 07 numbers that are excluded from mobile packages as well as the 070 range.   It would be helpful if members contribute here with their knowledge of other anomalies such as these.   Perhaps we should starta new thread for this?

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:01am:
(I must assume that the issue was raised as a point for serious discussion in the forum, rather than simply as a tardy and unconsidered criticism of a decision made by Oftel many years ago. To facilitate proper discussion, the OP (in this constructed thread) could have searched for, quoted and commented on any relevant remarks, or the absence thereof, made by Oftel, or respondents, in the public consultations undertaken at the time.)

Yes it is indeed intended as a serious point.   Although reference has been made in other posts about the possibility of misdialling numbers my point is that the potential confusion between 118 and 0118 stands out as, in my view, the one with most potential of occurring (mainly due to very extensive and heavy advertising of 118 numbers continually omitting the zero, and as having the worst cost penalties associated with a misdial due to 118 being among the most expensive premium rate numbers.   I am glad to see that others have seen this matter as serious enough to warrant discussion on this thread.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2014 at 11:03am by loddon »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge