Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers (Read 74,215 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers
Reply #45 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 6:56pm

Nicholas43,

Thank you for your thorough and detailed explanation of the practical implications of the new law once it takes effect.

Unfortunately I would strongly suspect that 99.9% of consumers will actually still not be aware of their right to reclaim the extra cost and even if they are aware will not have the time to do so.  There may of course be a few members of this forum (for some reason the name of Derrick in particular springs to mind) who do choose to take some test cases and one can only hope that in the end this will gradually bring pressure to bear on companies still using 084 numbers for customer service to switch to 03 numbers.

The difficulty however is that many companies (especially smaller companies) only have one phone number to contact them that is then filtered by an IVR system at the next level.  But if you have already called in on an 084 number the call cannot be converted to 03 charging status at the time the company ascertains your call is about a customer service matter.

This is why I believe Ian G is completely incorrect in thinking that the battle is now completely won and in effectively suggesting that those of us who do not now roll on our back waving a Thank You flag to the call centres are behaving in a cumudgeonly manner.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2013 at 6:57pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #46 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 9:49pm

nicholas43 wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 6:10pm:
There will, alas, be no redress for the use of 084 etc numbers as a means of charging (for example) an additional "booking fee" for the purchase of a theatre ticket

There is indeed no prohibition on use of premium rate telephone numbers (including the 084 range) as a means of securing a "micro-payment". There is a well-argued position against this as a point of principle, which I respect. This argument has not however been accepted by Ofcom, which has moved to validate this system, by making it clearer and more transparent. The Service Charge imposed by the Service Provider will have to be clearly declared and separated from the Access Charge imposed by the caller's telephone company.

This move is obviously seen as a defeat for those who oppose the concept in principle, albeit a success for those who objected to it on the basis of the lack of clarity. I see the exposure of the existence, and level, of the Service Charge as having made a significant contribution. This has made it easy to set the definition of "basic rate" (which is now contained in Guidance that may be amended to reflect the forthcoming new position) at the point where no Service Charge applies.

The outcome of legal actions can be one factor affecting decisions made by businesses in choosing their telephone numbers, as can the precise terms of relevant regulations. The move away from 084/087 numbers will however happen long before any case for recovery of additional cost reaches a court - indeed it has started even for banks and insurance companies before the legislation, from which they were known to be exempted, was announced.

Whilst some companies may retain telephone booking fees - for first contact only - and charges for (added value) technical support lines, it is my belief that the overwhelming majority will, over a period of time, cease using 084/087  numbers for customer contact altogether. The recent series of announcements (including that made today) have set a clear tone, which undermines that previously set by the telcos (the real villains of the piece)./

The common message, from three sources, showing 084/087 numbers to contain a charge to the benefit of the person called, and thereby unacceptable in many situations, is the extent of the victory worthy of celebration. It will however require much repetition and further effort to ensure that it is heard and followed by all. I hope that those who played a major part in bringing this about, albeit wanting for much more, will have the grace to acknowledge their contribution to an outcome that they must surely welcome.

In time we may be able to work out which organisations are the participants in an alleged conspiracy and which are those who were simply performing their duty of maximising the return to shareholders or minimising the cost to taxpayers. That duty has, in many cases, been performed unfairly, stupidly and deceitfully. A failure to correct such errors will expose cases where it was no error, but a deliberate rip-off.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Alerting Customers to Potential Call Costs
Reply #47 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 3:04am

Good to see it is considered good public sector practice to use messaging at the beginning of a call to alert the caller to the possible cost impact.

BJ.

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #48 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:04am

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but today I discover this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10538449/Government-must-stop-using-pre...

Well isn't that something.

Rather a long time coming, I should think. But I think the campaign deserves a welcome note of congratulation. I thank all those who have toiled so long and hard and am only sorry I wasn't more involved in it myself. Shouldn't have been so pessimistic.

I'm only too aware that the government has not yet been seen to do what it says it will, and it ain't over till the fat lady sings, as it were, but I really think this is surely quite a landmark in the process of change we desired. "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win".

I wonder what it was that really swung things in the campaign's favour?

I wrote the above before reading the forum's latest. Now that I have I realize it is probably this "EU directive" whatever that is. Now I wonder whether the campaign made any difference at all, although there is still the question of what influence lay behind the EU Directive. Perhaps we'll never know.

BTW: Lately I've been using an app on my smartphone that effectively makes these 0845 numbers free, or at least part of my bundle, as far as I can see. Perhaps the industry felt that with revenues falling as a result of apps like this the writing was on the wall for 084 and 087 numbers anyway?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:50am

longusername wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:04am:

We must understand that the diverse voices heard in this open public forum cannot be part of a co-ordinated campaign, indeed many assert that they share nothing with some others. Indeed, I expect to read extensive disagreement with the following view, from one who has been very closely involved in the relevant decision-making processes.

My personal view is that the change occurred as people came to recognise the truth about 084 numbers - the existence of the Service Charge, and the impact of an unregulated undeclared Access Charge. Only with this understanding could people move away from being hopelessly confused and misled by the reality of a highly complex set of retail call charges. A key factor in the confusion is that published rates for calls to geographic rate numbers are generally "penalty charges" for breaching the terms of a Call Plan or exceeding a bundle, rather than a standard tariff rate.

It is this understanding, sadly absent as a means of clarifying the terms of the NHS Directives and contract revisions, which has enabled the revised NHS England instructions, the definition of "basic rate" chosen for the implementation of the Consumer Rights Directive and the terms of the Cabinet Office Guidance to be set as they are.

I believe that everyone who has been involved in campaigning around this issue should join in the sense of victory (at whatever scale they may see it) and take credit for their contribution. We will each have our own view about how the cake of credit should be divided, but I see the only important point as being to identify successful efforts so that they may be repeated in future.

BTW: Lately I've been using an app on my smartphone that effectively makes these 0845 numbers free, or at least part of my bundle, as far as I can see. Perhaps the industry felt that with revenues falling as a result of apps like this the writing was on the wall for 084 and 087 numbers anyway?

I fear that any arrangement which conceals the payment of the Service Charge from the user (e.g. the BT inclusion of 0845 calls in Call Plans) serves to protect the scam. There is no loss of revenue for anyone; it is simply collected less directly - sanitised. This means that those who never call 0845 numbers are paying the premium that is passed on to the users of 0845 numbers just as much as those who do call them. Obviously there are ups and downs with any bundling arrangement, but I see it as essentially unfair to collect specific charges passed on to particular called parties, quite independent of the actual cost of connecting the call, from all subscribers.

In this respect, we have suffered a modest setback, as Ofcom has modified the draft regulations so as to enable BT (and some others) to continue to include 0845 calls in packages. This cannot however be used as an excuse for not declaring the Service Charge whenever the 0845 number is published, nor for circumventing any of the regulations. Our hope is that when June 2015 arrives there will be so few users of 0845 numbers that this feature will be of little significance.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #50 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 11:00am

I wrote the above before reading the forum's latest. Now that I have I realize it is probably this "EU directive" whatever that is. Now I wonder whether the campaign made any difference at all, although there is still the question of what influence lay behind the EU Directive. Perhaps we'll never know.

Its good to hear from you again "longusername" and pleased you are still taking an interest in this subject.    In response to your point I have to say I wouldn't dream of claiming any credit for bringing this scam to the attention of the EU but I do remember writing to all the MEPs representing Southern England in July 2010.  Part of my letter said :---

"Thursday 1 July 2010

Dear James Elles MEP, Sharon Bowles MEP, Nigel Farage MEP, Catherine BearderMEP, Peter SkinnerMEP and Marta Andreasen MEP,

EU limits Mobile Phone Roaming Charges.
  1st July 2010

I see the EU has today introduced limits on phone tariffs for calls while abroad within the EU. As the EU is concerned about excessive phone charges I raise another case of excessive call charges which affects us in the UK apparently more than other countries but is a growing problem all over Europe.

I ask you if the EU should look at placing limits on the use of so called "revenue sharing" numbers also known as NTS (Number Translation Services) and "non-geographic calls services". Ofcom, the UK regulator, held a public consultation "Review of non-geographic calls services" :--

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ngnservices/

for one month only in May 2010, and received a mere 42 responses most of these being from companies in the telephone services industry and very few from citizens/consumers. In my response I raised the fundamental issue that "revenue sharing" is a flawed concept and is unfair and even harmful to consumers ....."

" ........  To add insult to injury callers also must pay a premium to call these numbers, part of which pays the "revenue share" and part pays extra to the phone companies. In effect this is a massive scam upon the citizens/consumers. This scam, frequently referred to in Parliament as a "rip-off", is perpetrated by the phone service industry, taken advantage of by many user companies/organisations and is entirely presided over and encouraged by Ofcom. It is particularly inappropriate that public bodies make use of such numbers. It should be stopped. ......."

" ........ this does affect other European countries and not only the UK.   I am aware that it is a growing issue in Germany, Spain and Ireland for example, so it is not primarily a national issue. ..... "

I expect many others wrote similarly to their MEPs and other EU entities which has happily resulted in the EU CRD.

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:17pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #51 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:10pm

I wonder if ther is there any hope that telecoms consumers charged an additional 15p flat rate charge outside their inclusive call bundles for calling the Police on their 101 Non Emergency number will also be able to demand that the Police refund them the extra cost they have incurred due to the use of this non standard revenue sharing type number arrangement? 

By contrast calls to the new 111 number are completely free of charge.

If not why not as I find the range of calls the Police are now willing to exempt on free of charge 999/112 is now extremely narrow creating a difficult situation if you need to speak to the Police but have run out of credit on your mobile or do not have the relevant 60p to stick in a BT Payphone.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:24am

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:10pm:
I wonder if ther is there any hope that telecoms consumers charged an additional 15p flat rate charge outside their inclusive call bundles for calling the Police on their 101 Non Emergency number will also be able to demand that the Police refund them the extra cost they have incurred due to the use of this non standard revenue sharing type number arrangement?

Each Police Service is required to offer a geographic rate number as an alternative to 101, for those who object to participating in a cost sharing scheme with other callers. The 15p flat rate per call charge for all was adopted when the Home Office refused to fund the cost of network connection to the 101 service. All revenue from 1111 calls is retained by the telcos - there is no revenue sharing. The DH requires CCGS to pay for all calls to 111.

Calls to the Police are outside the scope of the CRD, although not that of the Cabinet Office Guidance.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #53 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:15am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #54 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:29am

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:36am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

mountainbiker1

Reply #55 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 10:07am

To get free access to 101 (on principle) I searched my local police, 'Norfolk telephone', phoned the local-ish landline number there and then got them to put me through to the same service I had got to previously with 101.  You may be able to do the same.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #56 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 10:20am

mountainbiker1 wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 10:07am:
To get free access to 101 (on principle) I searched my local police, 'Norfolk telephone', phoned the local-ish landline number there and then got them to put me through to the same service I had got to previously with 101.  You may be able to do the same.

Yes as mentioned by Silent Calls Victim on 28/12/13 in this thread.
" Each Police Service is required to offer a geographic rate number as an alternative to 101, for those who object to participating in a cost sharing scheme with other callers. "

BJ.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge