Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers (Read 74,258 times)
NFH

Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers
Dec 20th, 2013 at 10:50am

We've known for over two years that the legislation was on its way and we've even seen drafts of it. The final version has just been published which takes effect from 13th June 2014:

Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments) Regulations 2013

This is the UK's enactment of Article 21 of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. However, the UK legislation contains a fantastic new additional clause which is not in the directive:

If in those circumstances a consumer who contacts a trader in relation to a contract is bound to pay more than the basic rate, the contract is to be treated as providing for the trader to pay to the consumer any amount by which the charge paid by the consumer for the call is more than the basic rate.

Based on this wording, you can claim back any unlawful surcharge for calls made after 13th June 2014, if necessary via the Small Claims track of the County Court. If you have a fixed-price package of unlimited calls to basic rate (01/02/03) numbers, you can claim back from the trader the full cost of unlawfully surcharged calls. The "basic rate" would be the basic rate of the caller's tariff, not of a specific tariff of a specific provider such as BT.

Note that Regulation 6 contains a list of excluded industry sectors, most notably financial services.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:09pm

NFH wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 10:50am:
Note that Regulation 6 contains a list of excluded industry sectors, most notably financial services.

This basically covers ALL banks and building societies.. and also Insurance providers (who just love the use of 084 numbers for ALL of their contacts... sometimes including the sales call...)

How typical...
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:09pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:49pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:09pm:
NFH wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 10:50am:

This basically covers ALL banks and building societies.. and also Insurance providers (who just love the use of 084 numbers for ALL of their contacts... sometimes including the sales call...)

How typical...

According to Which, "As for financial companies, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has committed to considering whether it could introduce similar measures if you’re calling your bank or insurer. Barclays, Barclaycard and RBS have already backed our Costly Calls campaign by promising to scrap expensive customer lines, but we want to see them banned across the board". It was largely down to Which's successful campaign that the exemption was removed for passenger transport services, and I have no doubt that they will likewise persuade the FCA to impose a regulatory (non-statutory) ban on financial services using surcharged numbers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:05pm

Regulation 6 exists because the regulations in general are inappropriate (due to the nature of the type of transaction), because the equivalent effects are achieved by other regulations deriving from another Directive or, as in the case of Financial Services, the issues covered are dealt with quite differently - potentially more strictly - both by EU Directives and by national legislation.

HM Treasury was invited to consider bringing in parallel regulations for the Financial Services sector to cover the single issue of contact telephone numbers. Fear of being seen to be "gold-plate" a EU Directive was probably one of the primary reasons for this invitation being declined.

Attention has been turned towards getting the FCA to add identical requirements to its regulations, as it is perfectly competent to do, without specific legislation. It has so far committed to consider this. Given that two banking groups and one insurance company have already committed to drop 084/087 numbers, it must be likely that the actual change we seek will be seen across the board.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:08pm

NFH wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:49pm:
It was largely down to Which's successful campaign that the exemption was removed for passenger transport services.

Can anybody offer any evidence to support this ridiculous assertion?

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:59pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:08pm:
NFH wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:49pm:
It was largely down to Which's successful campaign that the exemption was removed for passenger transport services.

Can anybody offer any evidence to support this ridiculous assertion?

I might have been wrong, but Which did have a massive campaign on this specific exemption with tens of thousands of signatures on their petition. They claimed victory for themselves, although I have no doubt that other pressure groups, including this one, made a large contribution too.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:00pm

Which? didn't respond to Ofcom's "simpifying non-geographic numbers" consultations in 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013, nor to the BIS consultation on "Implementing the EU Consumer Rights Directive" in 2012.

As is their way, Which? was late to the campaign, initially made some quite ridiculous assertions and requests and now, amazingly, seems to be credited with making it all happen.

I'll credit Which? for making a lot of noise about the specific transport and finance exemption, but only after the draft regulations were published. One might imagine that many other interested parties such as the Office of Fair Trading, even some from within the transport industry itself, made representations about the scope of the regulations. We'll not hear about those.

Which? also allegedly spent several years collecting evidence on GPs using 084 telephone numbers in breach of their GMS contract. However, there's no evidence to suggest they actually did anything with whatever it was they found out.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:36pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 3:10pm

NFH wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:59pm:
I might have been wrong, but Which did have a massive campaign on this specific exemption with tens of thousands of signatures on their petition. They claimed victory for themselves, although I have no doubt that other pressure groups, including this one, made a large contribution too.

Which? did indeed collect many email addresses to add to their database, mailing out a message with an implicit invitation to subscribe (direct marketing without consent, under the terms of PECR #20). The actual terms of the petition were not directly specified - it was about "putting a stop to costly customer helplines".

I imagine that nobody in government would be surprised to learn that people would prefer helplines to be less, rather than more, costly for them to call. It is an open question as to whether people want businesses to be stopped from offering helplines, because they are costly to the business and therefore lead to higher prices. (I can assure readers that no business offering a helpline on a 084/087 number makes a net profit from the activity, in isolation from other activities.)

I understand that the actual submission to BIS by Which? (in response to sight of the draft regulations) was a list of passenger transport companies. This may may have duplicated the content of a number of other submitted lists (at least one of which had been published twelve months earlier), as no effort was made to co-ordinate research or submissions with other parties.

Many others engaged in the BIS round-table session, at which the issues were thrashed out, shared information in advance and demonstrated an understanding of the issues, participating in group discussion. Richard Lloyd claims to have had a private meeting with the Minister (or should that be, boasts about having privileged access denied to others).

As many of the relevant exchanges were private it is not possible to detail the representatives of the passenger transport industry who argued for its inclusion, or the precise role taken by various parties in helping the officials and the Minister to make the right decision.

Just for the record, "this forum" is not a pressure group - it is an open public forum where issues are discussed. It is part of a website that is supported by advertising and cannot therefore offer any formal view on any issue without suffering a conflict of interest, regardless of the difficulty of reflecting a common position that that encompasses the views of all contributors. I represent "the fair telecoms campaign" and engage in work on this issue in that role.

As the campaigning efforts of Which? are now conducted under the brand of a commercial publication and membership organisation, I believe that it should be a little more careful about what interests it may claim to represent. The libertarian, or even anarchistic, nature of its statement of purpose, quoted below, may cause those with different political philosophies to treat some of its declared objectives with extreme suspicion.

Quote:
to make individuals as powerful as the organisations they deal with in their daily lives

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 12:37pm

Given the continued widespread flouting of Article 19 of the same directive, which has been in force in the UK since 6th April 2013 under the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012, I wonder how many businesses will continue operating 084 and 087 numbers after 13th June 2014 in breach of Article 21 and Regulation 41.

Fortunately breaches of Article 21 will be much easier to prove than breaches of Article 19, which should make enforcement much easier. Nevertheless I anticipate that many businesses, even large ones, will flout the ban.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 1:42pm

NFH wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 12:37pm:
Given the continued widespread flouting of Article 19 of the same directive, which has been in force in the UK since 6th April 2013 under the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012, I wonder how many businesses will continue operating 084 and 087 numbers after 13th June 2014 in breach of Article 21 and Regulation 41.

Fortunately breaches of Article 21 will be much easier to prove than breaches of Article 19, which should make enforcement much easier. Nevertheless I anticipate that many businesses, even large ones, will flout the ban.

Out of interest how can "we" the consumer prove this point: A trader must not charge consumers, in respect of the use of a given means of payment, fees that exceed the cost borne by the trader for the use of that means.

How would we know their costs? That is something that would need to be investigated...

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 3:13pm

… I anticipate that many businesses, even large ones, will flout the ban.

Please be assured that for the fair telecoms campaign the battle is not over until compliance with the regulations is achieved. Depending on the resources available to us (we are always looking to gain more supporters), we will be monitoring the move to compliance over the coming months, using the media to draw attention to any notable positive and negative developments.

If a consumer wishes to report an alleged breach of any of the Consumer Rights regulations, they should call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline - 08454 04 05 06. I am told that Citizens Advice sees this service itself as being totally different from those covered by the regulations. It sees it as being wrong to have to pay again to complain about something one has paid for, but acceptable to pay to access a service funded out of taxation.

It is understood that when the Cabinet Office guidance is published, it will show more regard for the interests of citizens than that shown by Citizens Advice.

It may be noted that Citizens Advice blocked attempts to encourage HMRC to move to 03 numbers some years ago. Its position appears not to have changed, so we may expect it to oppose the Cabinet Office guidance, as it also opposed the Ofcom proposal for the "unbundled tariff".

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 5:00pm

Surely now that CAB is a Dept. of Government however thin the link, it should abide by the rules that include government depts that have funding by Taxpayers however small, they are not a sole charity now although not paying volunteers, and a % of running costs are funded by Taxpayers.

They should be persued and made to toe the line, in the media.

IP Logged

NFH

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:34pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 1:42pm:
Out of interest how can "we" the consumer prove this point: A trader must not charge consumers, in respect of the use of a given means of payment, fees that exceed the cost borne by the trader for the use of that means.

How would we know their costs? That is something that would need to be investigated...

This is precisely my point. Unlike Article 19 which is harder to prove as it concerns the trader's costs, Article 21 is easier to prove as it concerns the consumer's costs.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 9:48pm

NFH wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:34pm:
… This is precisely my point. …

All three of us are in agreement.

This is not my territory, so I am reluctant to go into detail. I would however expect that those interested in the topic will find some reference to the level of surcharges that may be expected amongst the Guidance issued to enforcement bodies, in the appropriate consultation document, or even in the associated impact analysis.

Whilst specific detail would be necessary in the case of an enforcement action, there should be some information to guide a consumer on what sort of case would be worth reporting, or pursuing directly. It may take a little trouble to dig it out, but one might hope that consumer representatives bodies would have done so to assist their clients.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 1:06pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 3:13pm:
… I anticipate that many businesses, even large ones, will flout the ban.

Please be assured that for the fair telecoms campaign the battle is not over until compliance with the regulations is achieved. Depending on the resources available to us (we are always looking to gain more supporters), we will be monitoring the move to compliance over the coming months, using the media to draw attention to any notable positive and negative developments.

If a consumer wishes to report an alleged breach of any of the Consumer Rights regulations, they should call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline - 08454 04 05 06. I am told that Citizens Advice sees this service itself as being totally different from those covered by the regulations. It sees it as being wrong to have to pay again to complain about something one has paid for, but acceptable to pay to access a service funded out of taxation.

It is understood that when the Cabinet Office guidance is published, it will show more regard for the interests of citizens than that shown by Citizens Advice.

It may be noted that Citizens Advice blocked attempts to encourage HMRC to move to 03 numbers some years ago. Its position appears not to have changed, so we may expect it to oppose the Cabinet Office guidance, as it also opposed the Ofcom proposal for the "unbundled tariff".

There is a list of geo numbers,(post #12),  in this thread: - http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1145444613/0/

Also numbers, including 0808 1566032 in the database.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge