Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers (Read 74,257 times)
CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Legislation banning the use of 084/087/09 numbers
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 2:45pm

Or click the "unhelpful" Call Charges link to get this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_protection_for_the_consu...

The alternatives are listed there..

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 3:26pm

Despite being a member of a forum that only exists because of the money made by the site by providing alternative numbers, I have to say that I am generally not in favour of them.

I do accept that some people may be subscribed to the wrong tariff and can therefore benefit from perverse circumstances which enable them to call 084, and some 087, numbers more cheaply than geographic rate numbers. There is even a case where calls to 0845 numbers are deliberately offered at a cheaper rate than geographic rate calls - but that is wholly perverse.

A money-saving site to offer alternative 084 and 087 numbers to cover this short-term situation would be of some value. Likewise, service providers could offer these short-term alternatives to their proper numbers, given that they clearly identified the particular minority groups for whom these were of value. The legislation being discussed has been adapted to allow for the latter situation, however there is no requirement for the particular circumstances under which the alternatives are to be used to be declared - (perhaps that would be asking for too much).

I believe that we are now approaching the point where this website will have to change its function. Once the Ofcom regulations come into effect, its present function will be to enable callers to avoid paying an openly declared Service Charge - just like any other money-saving site that offers discounted access to services. Where numbers referred to on the site are in breach of regulations (illegal) I would have some doubt about whether it is acceptable to encourage a potential complainant to simply avoid the illegality, rather than reporting it and seeking to force a move to compliance for the good of all.

Please understand that these comments are not to decry the enormous benefit which this site has provided (and continues to provide) to many people, and the role performed by this forum in enabling campaigners to make contact with each other and engage in open discussion. Times are however changing; the name of the site became a little meaningless over 3 years ago and efforts that would ultimately put it out of business are now achieving considerable success.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:03pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 2:45pm:
Or click the "unhelpful" Call Charges link to get this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_protection_for_the_consu...

The alternatives are listed there..

And still using the illegal term "local rate":-

You may wish to use these alternative numbers, which are charged at your local rate:

020 8185 0710 English language
    020 8185 0717 Welsh language

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #18 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:15pm

SCV, perhaps as it's nearing Christmas and the weather is a bit bad I can be forgiven for having no idea what on earth that last post meant..

I am sorry to say it. I know you and other have put a lot of work into campaigning for the mess that is NGN's to be improved.. and indeed with both the Ofcom Consultation and the EU Directive we are almost there...

However ALL 084 and 087 numbers are likely if not surely to become non-inclusive for calls, and therefore alternatives that do NOT cost consumers, with inclusive call plans, is still in my opinion the way forward..

As these calls are not being "banned" for all circumstances  then companies will continue to use them, and as has been discussed on this page I am sure companies will take as long as they can before they change over to geographically charged and inclusive calls. Perhaps even some companies will flout the regulations even after they are imposed..

I have perhaps misunderstood your comments, and if I have I apologise.. however it can be hard to establish them when there is a lot to go through in a post.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #19 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:57pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:15pm:
SCV, perhaps as it's nearing Christmas and the weather is a bit bad I can be forgiven for having no idea what on earth that last post meant..

A number of quite deep points were being made in a relatively short piece (relative to the depth of the points that is), so there need be no shame in failing to under the totality (or even to understand, if there are typos)- I was not making a single simple point. I was musing on the concept of alternative numbers and the role of SayNoTo0870.com.

It will now be 084 numbers that will become the alternatives to 03 numbers (e.g. for DWP). These will be retained for the benefit of those who enjoy perverse call pricing i.e. 084 cheaper than 03.

There will be law-breakers and those who validly impose a Service Charge that some may wish to avoid. The basic reality may therefore appear not to have changed, however the principle will have changed dramatically.

Over the next 18 months, we will be entering quite a different world. There will still be many issues to occupy the fair telecoms campaign, but a lot of the raison d'etre for this website and forum will have passed, or changed its nature.

I hope this helps. If my contributions are wholly incomprehensible, then it is best to ignore them. If particular points demand challenge or explanation, then please do so, or ask.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 4:22pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #20 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:03pm

I am now a lot clearer..

so thank you..

and Merry Christmas to Everyone!

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:10pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:15pm:
However ALL 084 and 087 numbers are likely if not surely to become non-inclusive for calls, and therefore alternatives that do NOT cost consumers, with inclusive call plans, is still in my opinion the way forward..

As these calls are not being "banned" for all circumstances  then companies will continue to use them, and as has been discussed on this page I am sure companies will take as long as they can before they change over to geographically charged and inclusive calls. Perhaps even some companies will flout the regulations even after they are imposed..

The point is that it is important to distinguish between how it is now and how it will be soon.

At the present time users of 084 and 087 non-geographic numbers use them without declaring their Service Charge. As a result, they are often used in places where such a Service Charge could not be justified - this being "misuse".

The alternative numbers listings allow empowered individuals to look them up to avoid such unjust charges. The process is therefore one which does not offer equality for all phone users.

The enactment of the Consumer Rights Directive into UK law means that many organisations that currently use 084 and 087 numbers will have to cease doing so by 15th June 2014. Those who don't will be breaking the law. Looking up alternatives for these allows individuals to avoid paying illegal charges and does nothing to make those organisations mend their ways for the benefit of all.

To understand the point, emphasis must be put on the fact that alternative numbers listings only benefit individual users rather than everyone as a whole (which is why I said they don't offer equality).

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #22 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:17pm

Dave wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:10pm:
The point is that it is important to distinguish between how it is now and how it will be soon.

At the present time users of 084 and 087 non-geographic numbers use them without declaring their Service Charge. As a result, they are often used in places where such a Service Charge could not be justified - this being "misuse".

The alternative numbers listings allow empowered individuals to look them up to avoid such unjust charges. The process is therefore one which does not offer equality for all phone users.

The enactment of the Consumer Rights Directive into UK law means that many organisations that currently use 084 and 087 numbers will have to cease doing so by 15th June 2014. Those who don't will be breaking the law. Looking up alternatives for these allows individuals to avoid paying illegal charges and does nothing to make those organisations mend their ways for the benefit of all.

To understand the point, emphasis must be put on the fact that alternative numbers listings only benefit individual users rather than everyone as a whole (which is why I said they don't offer equality).

I agree with you.. having the alternative when the Directive is put into place will enable the more empowered to find the numbers deal with the issue, and then, one would hope, report the offending company to the relevant department/organisation.

This is one part that ideally needs to be emphasised, what WE do if a company who should abide by this legislation decides to flout it... I would have no idea who to report it to.. and I am sure Joe Public wouldn't either..

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #23 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:58pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 2:17pm:
I agree with you.. having the alternative when the Directive is put into place will enable the more empowered to find the numbers deal with the issue, and then, one would hope, report the offending company to the relevant department/organisation.

CJT,

I think that most normal people like you and I who realise by now just how many hours can be wasted in one's life trying to stop evil big business ripping people off will simply continue to dial the alternative non premium rate numbers.

However I can imagine certain individuals who are regulars in the forum and who seem to have insufficient things to do to to fill their days and who are also eager to define themselves as martyrs for this cause will now cheerfully pay the illegal service charge so that they then have the best formal basis for making a statutory complaint with the appropriate regulator to have the company still breaking the law fined and reprimanded.

Personally I feel that it would have been far better if the whole process of hidden additional charges when making phone calls had been brought to an end and that anyone wanting to charge for a service does so overtly by demanding payment for it up front through a credit or debit card before the call is connected.  Of course those behind this whole scam industry know that this would bring about its true downfall which is why they will fight tooth and nail to avoid the imposition of such overt charging systems.

Those who also think this battle is now over are being extremely naive as for instance the Citizens Advice Consumer Service have already told me with some glee that their ripoff 0845 numbers will be considered as exempt from the EU Directive on the basis that they are a charity and not a profit making company........................
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:14pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #24 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 4:43pm

Quote:
I think that most normal people like you and I

By the very nature of the discussion topics, anyone posting in this forum is, by definition, not like "normal people" - to the tune of one-in-several-million or more.   Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 4:43pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:22pm

Ian G wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 4:43pm:
By the very nature of the discussion topics, anyone posting in this forum is, by definition, not like "normal people" - to the tune of one-in-several-million or more.   Wink

And there was i thinking that you were the one self defined balanced and normal person amongst all the rest of us fanatical and fervent forum zealots. Wink

What I was getting at however is that most of us who object to the ripoff NGB call charges prefer to take the simple route of denying the revenue stream to the ripoff artists completely.  However some more complicated thinkers in the forum, in particular Silent Calls Victim, see this as unfair to people who are so unaware they are paying the charge and so unconcened about doing so that they never visit this website to look for alternative numbers.

Personally I have always felt SCV may actually be a fifth column for the non geographic number vendors given his suggestion on more than one occasion that the numbers on this site should no longer be published in the interests of fairness and a level playing field to uninformed and ignorant telecoms consumers.

I on the other hand believe that circumventing use of these covert premium numbers completely is the best we can do for now and that it is better that as many of us as possible avoid being ripped of by calling these numbers than that none of us can avoid calling them at all in the name of social equity.

SCV appears to suggest that the non existence of the alternatives published on this website would actually bring more pressure to bear on the NGN misusers not to go on using them.  However I personally believe they would still go on using them just the same but that the telecoms companies and any agents they may employ to tout their propaganda on their behalf would simply become even richer than they have already become through the use of NGNs.

Of course I may be being unfair to SCV and it may be that his thought processes are so "Advanced" compared to the rest of us simple peasant folk that he is able to see aspects of this whole situation that the rest of us simple straight line thinkers are sadly unable to perceive?  Huh Undecided Sad
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 5:25pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #26 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:24pm

What I cannot understand is the continuing level of negativity expressed by some in this forum.

The battle is won. The principle that using 084 and 087 numbers for customer service lines is wrong, has been accepted and is enshrined in law.

As with all laws there will be some that flout it. That's human nature.

As for government, HMRC no longer uses any 0845 or 0870 numbers. That's a major step forward compared with the position only one year ago.

DWP has recently agreed to scrap their 0845 numbers. New Cabinet Office policy is due to be published shortly and will reach into very many corners of government and further promote change.

Watch this: http://tinyurl.com/PACslcBBC from 1h36m onwards (for 7 minutes). Could you imagine such an exchange taking place even this time last year? Me neither.

Read this: http://tinyurl.com/LAN300REP in full. Could you even think that such a forthright and clear policy could have been advanced even six months ago? Again, no.

Things are rapidly moving forward. There's no time to look back or to worry about all those evil corporations that are just out to get you.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:39pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:27pm

Ian G wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 6:24pm:
There's no time to look back or to worry about all those evil corporations that are just out to get you.

They remain out to get you.  They will just move on to new areas where their scamming has not yet been exposed and they know they can continue to get away with it for now.  Take for instance the supposed victory on unreasonable card charges by low cost airlines.  They have just replaced the unreasonable card charge you could avoid by getting another card with even more unreasonable charges for hold baggage you cannot avoid unless you travel like a vagrant or have a penchant for jackets that make you look like a Sumo Wrestler.

Same thing with phone line charges.  What you will find what will happen is that many private businesses will just withdraw the option to contact them on the phone altogether and provide only a Contact Us form to which they generally do not respond either at all or for many weeks.  Also the fact that some call centres like the Citizens Advice Consumer Service are already proudly trumpeting they are exempt from the rules and have no intention of changing to an 03 number (to set a good example and for the good of their callers even though they are not legally compelled to change) is a very bad sign.

All that has happened for now is that some of the scamming of the major telcos has been exposed and they have been embarrassed out of it.  However the basic problem of most of business now being run by people with MBAs who are motivated only by financial greed and short term selfishness remains.  The same problem is seen in the Health Service with the fiddling of targets so that greedy executives in charge can earn their massive bonuses.

Believe if you want that this is all a huge success but it has taken 10 years to force a useless regulator to make rule changes it should have done in Year 1 and the rule changes made clearly do not go anywhere near far enough.

<div style=

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #28 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 9:21pm

CAB will reap all that is coming to them. They may or may not be covered by BIS rules but they'll likely not be able to sidestep what is about to come down the pipe from the Cabinet Office.

Ten years to take action? Rubbish! BIS has been involved with this for only a couple of years. If you're taking another pop at Ofcom, the new regulation is nothing to do with them. Ofcom regulate the suppliers of telecoms services, not the users.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 9:43pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #29 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 10:01pm

Ian G wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 9:21pm:
Ten years to take action? Rubbish! BIS has been involved with this for only a couple of years.

Isn't BIS just another of the many useless government departments and agencies who have spent 10 years allowing these numbers to spread like a plague throughout the entire UK economy?  At one stage a certain Mr Hickson here also claimed to have the Cabinet Office was involved in the issue but then they also ducked out of the matter.

Let us face it the only reason the government has tasked BIS with acting now is due to the EU directive but like all the most cynical forms of political action they have decided if this is going to cost them money they had better try and take credit for it and look like the good guys when in fact the government and its regulatory creature OfCon has been content to sit on its backside and let the problem spread far and wide for years and years.

Quote:
If you're taking another pop at Ofcom, the new regulation is nothing to do with them. Ofcom regulate the suppliers of telecoms services, not the users.

It was a matter for Ofcom to deal with but they ducked it due to New Labour connections with the main companies running these call centres.  As Ofcom long ago became completely corrupted as a creature of telecoms businesses (despite its principal remit under Section 3 (i) of the Communications Act 2003) the government has clearly decided to take a new tack in making sure the EU directive gets implemented.

You continue to preach at us in this forum as a self introduced guru and expert who clearly thinks he knows better on all these matters than us but you fail to say what are your credentials and qualifications for placing yourself in this lofty position.

I and most (SCV excepted of course) other members of this forum by the way are just passionate consumers who hate being ripped off.  We are bored with all the technicalities explaining why we were ripped off for so many years despite trying to expose the scam early on as soon as it began to roll out nationwide and we just want it to now be brought to and end as soon as possible.

People like yourself however now seem to be determined to use smoke and mirrors to claim this as all being a great triumph of executive action by a government department.

You claim you are on the same side as other campaigners here but I repeatedly get the feeling that you may in fact just be another telco back covering assistant of SilentCallsVictim.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:02am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge