Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Calling mobiles from a landline (Read 21,310 times)
allegro

Calling mobiles from a landline
Oct 29th, 2014 at 7:06am

A friend has a Virgin mobile "SIM only" contract with a very good deal (£5/month for 1200 mminutes, unlimited texts and data). The snag is that reception in her flat in SE London is non-existent. I think Virgin MVNO uses EE (Orange and Tmobile). There's no coverage from Three in her flat either. Don't know about Vodafone and O2.

She frequently needs to call mobiles from home, so she does it from her landline. I can't see any cheap way of doing this. About the best I can see is to download the Skype app on her mobile and get a UK mobile package from Skype. Then it will route over her wifi.

Or is there some way of boosting her mobile signal?

Or some way that she can ues her Virgin minutes via her internet connection?

Any help much appreciated.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Calling mobiles from a landline
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 10:12am

It all depends on her landline provider.  I have BT and, using 18185 (i.e. using an override provider not BT itself), pay 6p/minute
to call mobiles.

That's weekdays.  It's 7p/minute @ weekends.  There's a 5p connection charge too.  For those with an Unlimited Anytime Calls contract, BT might be slightly cheaper evenings and weekends but they charge 15p connection (16p from 1/12/14).

Best way to get some ideas is to use the moneysavingexpert.com UK CallChecker:ttp://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/mobile-numbers/daytime/bt/...
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2014 at 10:28am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 2:27pm

Landline provider and ISP is currently Virgin, soon to be Plusnet.

I'm aware of MSE and the good work it does, not just for telephony but in all sorts of areas. There really isn't a truly low cost way of calling UK mobiles from landlines. Even if you don't include US/Canada (where calls to mobiles are same price as to landlines) it's still cheaper to call mobiles in many other countries via Skype etc than to call UK mobiles in any way from a landline.

As MSE says. the cheapest way to call a mobile is almost always from a mobile.

I think my friend can get a similar but not quite so good SIM only deal from Tesco mobile (MVNO based on O2). She thinks that O2 may work in her flat. If this is all true, it's by far the best solution.

I was hoping that there might be some facility from Virgin to make calls via her internet connection. I think some other mobile networks can do this though I haven't really looked yet.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2014 at 2:27pm by allegro »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 3:08pm

I know that this comment is of no direct value in relation to the case in question.

We do however look forward to the stage where the progressive reduction in the termination fees paid to mobile providers will reach the point where the distinction between normal calls to landline and mobile numbers will disappear.

This raises many issues, which would best be discussed elsewhere.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 6:38pm

I know of apps you can use from your mobile to use your landline minutes ,but not the other way around.

If she has inclusive landline minutes. The cheapest way i am aware of is http://www.localphone.com/call/united_kingdom you open a prepaid account ,they allocate you  01/02 numbers to point at your target mobiles. You pay just 1.8p a minute,no connection fee, no rental,no admin fees.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2014 at 6:56pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:19am

There are hints that something may be possible: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Increase-Mobile-Phone-Signal-in-my-Ho...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/381925/how-to-boost-your-mobile-reception/2

Solutions seem to fall into 2 categories:

1: Femtocells, which create a local cell with backhaul via broadband. Legal ones are supplied by the mobile operators, with plenty of illegal ones available.

2: Apps which allow calls to be made via wifi.

Unfortuantely I can't see that either of these solutions is available for Virgin mobile.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:34am

Got you now   was on wrong track.  Wink

Three have recently launched http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Three_inTouch

EE have something in pipeline.

O2 have TUGO.

Seen nothing similar coming out of Virgin Mobile yet.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:38am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bolsheVik

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 4:09pm

I know of a couple of landline to mobile providers that 0.5p on these calls, via access numbers:
0843 015 9748      Low Calls
0843 836 0005      doubledial

many more providers charge 1p. Don't forget the connection charge. Let me know if you need more info on them.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 6:50am

Talk Talk now include calls to uk mobiles in its anytime boost.

"The simple way to keep control of your calling costs for £7.50 a month.

Unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles.
Gives 60 minutes per call - just hang up and redial to avoid a standard rate after this.
Day or night, weekday or weekend.
Includes 0845/0870 numbers (when you have TalkTalk line rental)."

http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/boost/10616/anytime-uk-calls-boost

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2014 at 6:52am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:14pm

bigjohn wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:34am:

Virgin seem to offer only offer SmartCall to let you charge calls made from your mobile to your landline package:
http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/phone/smartcall.html
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:17pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:32pm

nicholas43 wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:14pm:
bigjohn wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:34am:

Virgin seem to offer only offer SmartCall to let you charge calls made from your mobile to your landline package:
http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/phone/smartcall.html

Yes the main idea of which is to enable you to use your bundled home telephone minutes on your mobile. Also handy if you want to call non geographical numbers if your mobile supplier charges more to call them then Virgin Media.

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 10:56pm

allegro wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 2:27pm:
Landline provider and ISP is currently Virgin, soon to be Plusnet.

Plusnet offer a bundle of 100 mobile minutes for £3 per month.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:37am

Ofcom has confirmed a further reduction in Mobile Termination Rates over the next three years as well as extending these provisions to cover all UK providers from 1 May 2015:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/mobile-call-termination-14/statem...
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/mobile-call-termination-...

This brings closer the day when landline providers will offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers.

It also means that instant access international call gateways and other such inappropriate usage will shift to more appropriate 084, 087 and 09 ranges where they can properly declare their Service Charge.

Providers in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man remain outside of these provisions.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:40am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:59am

The Daily Mail covered yesterday's announcement -
Cost of mobile calls to other networks to fall: Watchdog orders companies to reduce charges by 40% over the next two years.

The headline and some of the copy slightly misses the point, as ultimately this could result in higher charges for using mobiles (although competition has so far been effective in preventing this being seen as an effect). It is only one component of the charge that will be reduced by 40%.

At least the article includes a strongly worded comment from a campaigner, as (almost) the last word.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015 at 12:00pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 12:01pm

Ian01 wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:37am:
This brings closer the day when landline providers will offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers.

EE's current Anytime landline package includes 1000 minutes a month to UK mobiles. BT have not, as far as I know, said whether they will continue this when they take over EE.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge