Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
roaming (Read 15,227 times)
Neetie

London
roaming
Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:53am

I'm not sure where to post this but am a bit confused about the abolition of roaming charges in the EU. I have an essential plan from 3. If I am in France for example I know that I can call French numbers using my minutes  but can I also call UK numbers or will these be charged as if I were to call France from the UK.I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me. When I heard about the free roaming I made the mistake of calling France from my mobile...an expensive lesson which I am not keen to repeat in the opposite direction.
Nita

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: roaming
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 6:38pm

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:12am

There is a strange anomaly in the EU roaming rules.

If you're roaming then you can call ANYWHERE in the EU as if you were at home and calling a UK number. So a UK subscriber in France could call the UK, France, Poland etc without incurring extra charges.

BUT if you're at home you can't call the rest of the EU without paying extra for it.

The 3 network gives you addtional roaming included in the tariff. Such as to the US, Israel etc. But that's only for phong back to the UK, not to the country you're in at the time.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:52am

Some providers offer tariffs with an alllowance of international.calls from the UK.

Anyone with a landline that has inclusive calls to 03, 0845 or 0870 numbers can use dial-through providers to make international calls with no further charges.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 7:29am

Don't some landline and mobile providers recognise the numbers that give access to dial-through services and charge extra for them?

IP Logged

Neetie

London
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:54am

Many thanks  all is now reasonably clear...I would like to add that I did originally have a 3 contract which allowed me to use my minutes to phone home from several foreign destinations including the US...when the new roaming rules came in they told me that with that contract the free roaming wouldn't apply even to the EU countries which is one reasson I switched to the essential plan.It would appear that if you have some special contracts the free EU roaming doesn't apply..I feel it is all designed to confuse.
Just heard that the Wifi Assist app is causing phones to gobble up huge amounts of data so don't forget to switch it off when overses.
Neetie

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:30am

That sounds very odd. I have a 3 contract and get free roaming to a load of countries. The new EU rules simply add the ability to phone anywhere in the EU when I'm roaming, as against just phoning home to the UK.

AFAIK this applies to ALL contracts with 3.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:15am

As I understand it, EU roaming has to be included in all contracts from 15 June 2017, it's the law.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:17am by kasg »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge