Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old, orphaned and badly maintained web pages (Read 6,776 times)
allegro

Old, orphaned and badly maintained web pages
Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:12am

A common problem since google etc will often find older web pages with 084/087 numbers. Even when these have been superceded. Or 084/087 numbers left on web pages because webmasters have been unaware or not bothered to keep info up to date.

Example with 0870 number:
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

I've reported a similar problem to Santander bank which still shows 084 numbers on some pages for contact in case of problems. When I complained all I got was a statement that they had switched to 0800 contact numbers. They don't even properly acknowledge the problme and even when they did, they said it would be fixed. A year on and it hasn't been.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:16am by allegro »  

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: Old, orphaned and badly maintained web pages
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:35am

Even where organisations fix their own websites, there will be many third-party websites that may never be updated. This is why one of the most important parts of a number change is adding a Changed Number Announcement on the old number telling callers to hang up and re-dial the new number. This announcement can be set as 'free-to-caller' by the called party's telecoms provider simply by making it a 'Pre-Call Announcement'.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:48am

allegro wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:12am:
A common problem since google etc will often find older web pages with 084/087 numbers. Even when these have been superceded. Or 084/087 numbers left on web pages because webmasters have been unaware or not bothered to keep info up to date.

Example with 0870 number:
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

I've reported a similar problem to Santander bank which still shows 084 numbers on some pages for contact in case of problems. When I complained all I got was a statement that they had switched to 0800 contact numbers. They don't even properly acknowledge the problme and even when they did, they said it would be fixed. A year on and it hasn't been.

Good Morning allegro

It doesn't get much better here, or here

However this link which gives the same number out, suggest's it's run by National Grid, and any complaints appear to be dealt with by Cadent

Looks like Cadent are the ones to start with, to see if an alternative has been set up, the 0370 equivalent does not work.

On a seperate note, several of the pages visited give out a range of 0845 numbers for the Electricity Suppliers, have they all changed?  Huh

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:39pm

I have e-mailed National Grid / Cadent Gas to find out if they do indeed run that number, and what alternative numbers they may have.

I will post again, once I have more info.

Smiley

EDIT: A quick update

After an e-mail back from Cadent Gas it appears the number is run by http://www.xoserve.com/

I have contacted them by e-mail to question the use of the 0870 number and why at the bottom of their own website, the call costs are not displayed!

I will report back once I have a reply from them.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:36pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 12:45pm

I have contacted the Fair Telecoms Campaign with regards to this.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:48pm

While it is correct to point out that the call costs should be displayed immediately adjacent to any 084, 087 or 09 number, a more important matter is the inappropriate usage of a premium rate number for this service in the first place.

Callers are paying up to 56p per minute to call this number just so they can benefit from a 1p per minute subsidy paid for by callers. This is absolute madness.

This briefing covers the details, using a range of Service Charge values as examples: http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/docs.html?insanity
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:14pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 8:04pm

Good Evening Ian01

Have no fear I have pointed out the "error" of their way's..

In this modern age with a large number of people using only a mobile phone, the costs to call that number are prohibitive, and for what gain?  As you have pointed out, very little!

I have as yet still received no reply from Xoserve, despite the original contact being made over a week ago, this I why I have suggested Fair Telecom's maybe interested to take this on.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge