<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange calls (Read 20,049 times)
MickTheMunch

Strange calls
May 20th, 2019 at 4:25pm

Have been receiving calls from  02035 190760 but they ring off immediately. Any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: Strange calls
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:35pm

Never call back to an unexpected missed call from an unrecognised number. If it was important they will call back later or leave a message.

Calls where the phone rings once and cuts off are often attempting the Wangiri scam. Calling back is either to a premium rate number or is to an ordinary number that plays a message telling the caller there is a problem and to call a different number, the latter number being a premium rate number.

A Google search for the number, using 020 3519 0760 or 0203 519 0760 or 02035 190760 or 02035190760 may give further clues. The CLI may even be faked or spoofed and not actually represent a valid or active telephone number.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2019 at 10:21am

Correct advice fom Ian01.

That number is a scammer: https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02035190760

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 9:01am

Ian01 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 10:35pm:
Never call back to an unexpected missed call from an unrecognised number. If it was important they will call back later or leave a message

It depends on your personality type.

As long as you establish that the number you are calling is not going to cost you anything and is not some covert premium rate or directory enquiries number then you may still want to establish who the call was from in case it was from.

However calling back all numbers that call you indiscriminately without checking out the likely call charges is not a good idea.

These days the majority of the most undesirable callers in overseas scamming call centres cannot in any case be called back because they have spoofed an apparently legitimate but in fact non existent UK CLI number despite being thousands of miles away in India (mainly) or the Philippinnes (only very occasionally where scams are involved).

<div style=

IP Logged

bhaskar

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 5:04pm

MickTheMunch wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:25pm:
Have been receiving calls from  02035 190760 but they ring off immediately. Any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks

i had the same problem on my lycamobile number, but from a different phone number

1 ring then stops

the worst used to be when it happened at night

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 5:33pm

bhaskar wrote on Jun 25th, 2020 at 5:04pm:
i had the same problem on my lycamobile number, but from a different phone number

1 ring then stops

Depending on the handset, you should be able to block both numbers from calling you again.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

bhaskar

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 2:04pm

CJT-80 wrote on Jun 25th, 2020 at 5:33pm:
bhaskar wrote on Jun 25th, 2020 at 5:04pm:

1 ring then stops

Depending on the handset, you should be able to block both numbers from calling you again.

each time they use different numbers so blocking wouldn't help

just gave 2 examples

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 2:11pm

bhaskar wrote on Jun 27th, 2020 at 2:04pm:
each time they use different numbers so blocking wouldn't help

just gave 2 examples

Ah now I understand.  Sadly not a lot you can do.

I rarely get spam calls on my mobile.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

promonkey

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 11:18am

looks like this number is definitely a scammer calling.

I used https://whocalledyou.co.uk/number/02035190760 to check. hope this helps anyone Smiley

Edit By Admin (CJT-80) - Posts merged
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2021 at 12:40pm by CJT-80 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2021 at 1:23pm

We have talked often about junk calls and outright scam calls presenting fake CLI numbers. These may have been international or just plain wrong (a number that couldn't ever exist, whether because it's too short or because its prefix is invalid).

Today, I received a scam call on my landline whose CLI was not only within the same STD area code, not only on the same BT exchange prefix, but a number the same as mine barring the last two digits. This was an automated recording, ostensibly about an order from a well-known online retailer.

It has been expected that as network operators begin to filter out obviously invalid CLIs (too short, invalid prefixes etc.) that junk callers will just move to presenting more potentially valid ones. In this instance, they have come as close as possible (geographically) to presenting a number which appears perfectly valid. And, of course, the recipient is extremely likely to answer the call as it's recognised as a number local to them.

Those whose numbers have been (ab)used in this way could find themselves in receipt of a call from the party a junk call was made to.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 7:57am

I've noticed this too, with calls that are ostensibly from my own or other local exchanges. Though not as extremely close as your case.

A few months ago I was phoned by somebody who said they had received a call from my number. I was able to explain to them what had happened and that I was powerless to stop scammers doing this.

IP Logged

G7MZH

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2023 at 10:03am

Surely it is not outside the capability of Openreach, Virgin et al to check that the presented CLI actually belongs to the user of the number? Particularly when the call comes from overseas.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2023 at 10:04am by G7MZH »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2023 at 11:14am

G7MZH wrote on Jul 22nd, 2023 at 10:03am:
Surely it is not outside the capability of Openreach, Virgin et al to check that the presented CLI actually belongs to the user of the number? Particularly when the call comes from overseas.

Sadly it's quite easy to spoof a CLI which is why it cannot be relied upon.  There maybe other technology which accurately identifies where the call comes from, but I am not sure what if is if it exists.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge