Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making phone calls over wifi (Read 7,620 times)
allegro

Making phone calls over wifi
Jul 27th, 2019 at 5:22pm

I know this is a little off topic for saynoto0870 but there's a good bit of telecoms expertise here.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, bought outright from a phone supplier. I also have a very good SIM only deal from Three. (£8/month for unlimited everything. Still don't quite know how it happened. I didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me). Until recently I used a Three app called "3 in touch" to use telephony and texts over wifi. Very handy in places with bad mobile network connectivity. A few months ago 3 discontinued the app but said that most newer phones could do all this inherently. My S8 is in that category but the relevant menu option was missing. I have ensured that my handset is fully updated - both Android and the standard phone app.

I contacted 3 and explained my problem. They said they only offer this service on handsetss that they have supplied and that they can't update my software to do it.

I've been escalating my complaint and they've offered several months free as a compensation but are unable to explain why enabling wifi calling should be such a problem.

I don't really want to leave 3 (see great deal above), and in any case I may not get wifi calling on any other network either.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: Making phone calls over wifi
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:41pm

I found I still had the Three In Touch app on my phone, an Honor 10, but when I tried to activate it, it failed. I have the Wi-Fi calling option in my phone settings, despite it not being on their list of compatible phones, so I presume it works without the app and have uninstalled it. If you haven't got the Wi-Fi calling option then I realise that doesn't really help you.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:42pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:24pm

What you've siad is useful. Assuming you didn't get the phone itself from Three (or did you?) it shows that a generic modern Android phone can do calling over wifi on Three.

Actually the "3 in touch" app wasn't very well integrated with normal network phone/text so probably a good thing it's gone. But really ought to be able to make calls over wifi as standard without hassle on a modern phone.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:25pm by allegro »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 7:24pm

allegro wrote on Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:24pm:
Assuming you didn't get the phone itself from Three (or did you?)

I did get the phone from Three, sorry if that wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2019 at 7:24pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge