Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens to our 'favourite' 0870 numbers now? (Read 7,565 times)

What happens to our 'favourite' 0870 numbers now?
May 26th, 2022 at 1:40am

I'm ready to stand corrected, however in the main 0870 numbers are very much in decline.

There's still numerous stragglers, but less and less are in use. From experience, I suspect those left are just legacy, they live on, more that it's such a hassle migrating.

0870 numbers are inclusive to many call plans, and revenue-share was killed-off. The reasons 0870 came into being don't truly exist anymore. Many didn't get revenue, (we didn't). Today, there's alternatives. Back in the day, broadly an NGN business number with an IVR back-end, was 0800/ 0870 or you went without.

Businesses were granted 03XX to walk round the issue, what happens to the number group now? Ofcom seem to be pretty silent on this, like 070 personal numbers, will 0870 be left as an oddity to shrivel on the vine? The Telcos won't be seeing the revenue they once did, which means they'll be happier to see change.

Are there proposals to see a blanket 087 /084 etc tariff? Or will they simply cease to exist as Ofcom's move on 0500.

Best I can find is here:

·
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/217747/second-consultation-...
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2022 at 1:03pm by 03700000000 »  

IP Logged

Re: What happens to our 'favourite' 0870 numbers now?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2022 at 10:43pm

Seems I've answered my own Q. Ofcom appear to be looking at doing something soon...

----------------------------

Future of numbering policy review. We will continue our strategic review of the telephone numbering plan to make sure it provides what people understand, want and need from numbers for the coming decade. In particular, we will be considering the future of area codes, 084/087 numbers and we will continue our programme to address anomalies in the use of and charges for calls to 07 numbers.
-----------------------

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 12:48pm

Well... I thought I'd answered my own question. It appears Ofcom have kicked this one into the long grass. Now listed in the plan of work for 2023/24.

I suspect, the way the telco industry is moving, if Ofcom leave things much longer, events will overtake the issue anyway. Unless I've missed something, they appear to have watered their words a tad, and no longer give a date for when this will be done:

==========
Future of numbering policy review.
We will continue our strategic review of the telephone numbering plan to make sure it provides what consumers understand, want and need from numbers for the coming decade.

==========
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2023 at 1:01pm by 03700000000 »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:19pm

03700000000 wrote on May 26th, 2022 at 1:40am:
I'm ready to stand corrected, however in the main 0870 numbers are very much in decline.

There's still numerous stragglers, but less and less are in use. From experience, I suspect those left are just legacy, they live on, more that it's such a hassle migrating.

0870 numbers are inclusive to many call plans, and revenue-share was killed-off. The reasons 0870 came into being don't truly exist anymore. Many didn't get revenue, (we didn't). Today, there's alternatives. Back in the day, broadly an NGN business number with an IVR back-end, was 0800/ 0870 or you went without.

Businesses were granted 03XX to walk round the issue, what happens to the number group now? Ofcom seem to be pretty silent on this, like 070 personal numbers, will 0870 be left as an oddity to shrivel on the vine? The Telcos won't be seeing the revenue they once did, which means they'll be happier to see change.

Are there proposals to see a blanket 087 /084 etc tariff? Or will they simply cease to exist as Ofcom's move on 0500.

Best I can find is here:

·
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/217747/second-consultation-...

0870 numbers are included in landline call plans yes, but NOT mobile (or certainly none I can find).  Therefore as more and more of the population stop using landlines and move to solely using mobiles the need to have ALL inclusive calls remains.  084/087 numbers no longer have their place in our society.

Want a "Non Geographic Number"?  Use 080 or 034/037 job done!

Ofcom need to get moving with this, but they won't... why... because they appear to be "guided" by the telco's!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Johnny Debt

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2023 at 9:23am

So that would mean that this site will start to see increase in popularity/usage?

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2023 at 12:38pm

Johnny Debt wrote on May 8th, 2023 at 9:23am:
So that would mean that this site will start to see increase in popularity/usage?

Under what circumstances?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2023 at 7:15pm

CJT-80 wrote on Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:19pm:
Ofcom need to get moving with this, but they won't... why... because they appear to be "guided" by the telco's!

Yes the needs of Ofcom's revenue providing base the telcos always seems to have come first in almost all of their actions unfortunately eg they proposed getting rid of 070 personal numbers years and years ago but then caved in and ditched their plans due to threats from those running the numbers about potential revenue loss.........

Anyway just to prove that former active members do occasionally still visit this discussion forum but might have been a year since my last visit.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge