Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Re: Who is behind Call18866? (Read 54,685 times)
rafiki

Re: Who is behind Call18866?
Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:35pm

I've always been uneasy that they won't allow us to pay by direct debit which would give us protection in case if unauthorised debits from our accounts - a protection we don't enjoy whilst they charge our credit cards.

Brian

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:49pm

Quote:
I've always been uneasy that they won't allow us to pay by direct debit which would give us protection in case if unauthorised debits from our accounts - a protection we don't enjoy whilst they charge our credit cards.

Brian

I see no sign that call18866's motivation is to misbill our credit cards.  For instance unlike TalkTalk they only bill me for calls that are actually answered and they never charge me for numbers I have never ever called, as TalkTalk do.  But it would be nice to have a customer services department that at least replied to customer emails (but if the whole company is just Darren you can see how time consuming that might be).

I'm sure that apart from making some money on the calls for now the eventual aim is to flog the customer list off to some bigger telecoms company for a small song.

Does anyone know more about Call18866 than I do?  I know their head call routing operation is a swiss company but that doesn't mean that each of the franchise concessions under this brand (Finexia) doesn't have a British businessman behind them?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:25am by N/A »  

IP Logged

robert5988

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 5:05pm

Martin Lewis of money saving expert has the phone number and posted this recently:

As most regular MoneySavers will know call18866 is my recommendation for rock bottom no-frills cheapest calls providers in the UK (see the Cheapest way to make calls article).

Yet 'no-frills' really means that, and it makes getting in touch with it a nightmare. As I have 'the phone-number' to get through and a number of issues have arisen I thought I would put them to 18866 so people know what's going on. Here you go:

ML Question: The other day the service was engaged when you tried to call? Are you struggling with capacity?

Answer: On 22 Feb we experienced a fault which affected some of our customers. This was due to part of the network of one of our providers being down. Unfortunately this fault lasted most of the day for some customers, but please be assured we do everything we can to prevent these sort of disruptions.

(ML note: One of the advantages of call18866 is that as it isn't a carrier pre-select service, where all your calls automatically go that way, if it doesn't work you can just not dial the pre-fix. If that does happen, and you're on an expensive BT package, you can access Telesavers at 1p/min to any UK number as a back-up, and you don't need an account for it)

ML Question. Are you facing capacity issues? Have you got too big? People are reporting this when they try to sign up.

Answer: Some new customers are having problems signing up due to capacity issues. We are working hard to expand our capacity but this takes some time and in order to keep the network available for our existing customers we sometimes temporarily have to decline new customers.

ML Question: AOL customers don't receive their e-mails, and therefore don't get their bills. What's being done?

Answer:The AOL issue is still ongoing. AOL has very strict policies and is not willing to budge. Unfortunately AOL has chosen to block our emails and this means customers point the finger at us for not responding. As a result we have been forced to not allow AOL email addresses when signing up. It is also not advisable to email us any questions from AOL addresses until this issue is resolved as our replies are being blocked by AOL.

(ML info: I've pushed AOL in the past about this personally, as i get so many e-mails about it. I know AOL are trying to sort it out and there has been dialogue between it and Call18866 (I gave it 18866's number, yet I think both sides need to try a little harder), slapped wrists to both. Full details on the AOL&Call18866 issue can be found here).

Hope this is useful

Martin

An email to him might get some info.

I won't touch them until they do Direct Debits

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 5:15pm

Quote:
Martin Lewis of money saving expert has the phone number and posted this recently:

I wish Martin Lewis would give me the phone number for Call18866 and also say whether the person he was interviewing was the legendary Darren Thomas.

What exactly does Mr Thomas have to hide and is it legal for a company that operates via a seemingly BT authorised UK indirect access code to be so secretive about the commercial entity that you are actually dealing with?  Or is our whole business relationship in fact an internet one with a bunch of Swiss gnomes (as opposed to the yellow hatted TopUpTv variety)?

Of course as long as they only charge us 1p a minute and send us accurate bills then perhaps it simply isn't wise for us to ask too many awkward questions.

IP Logged

robert5988

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 8:43am

Quote:
What exactly does Mr Thomas have to hide and is it legal for a company that operates via a seemingly BT authorised UK indirect access code to be so secretive about the commercial entity that you are actually dealing with?

There have been much advice(including on this forum) about the dangers of Continuous Credit Authority(CCA)

The main objection is that the onus is on the customer, rather than the card company, to sort out any problem with the firm concerned.

Even respected pundits like Martin Lewis earlier advised that you should only sign a CCA with a well known firm in which you have confidence – albeit he now recommends 18866.

Given the quote above, if you do have a ‘problem’ in the future, say if the 'organisation' behind 18866 went bust, who do you contact?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 9:10am

Quote:
Given the quote above, if you do have a ‘problem’ in the future, say if the 'organisation' behind 18866 went bust, who do you contact?

If you put a payment in dispute and send a letter to the credit card company explaining why you have done this the onus is then still on the card company to justify the payment.  CCA does not allow a company to simply charge you for goods that you have never ever had.

All I can say is that paying for things by credit card gives you considerably more rights than paying by Switch does.  Never ever give your Switch number, expiry date and security number to a totally unknown and unproven third party.

IP Logged

Darren_Thomas

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 5:04pm

I recently saw your article, asking the question of whether or not I was behind 18866.

The Darren Thomas, chief executive of Blue Telecommunications is NOT the individual behind 18866, despite the fact that there is a simmilar industry and same name.  Blue is a provider of wholesale line rental services, least cost routing, and provides services o the corporate sector.

I have no knowledge of the other Darren Thomas, and should someone wish to contact me directly, this can be easily confirmed.

Best regards,
Darren Thomas

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 10:40am

Quote:
The Darren Thomas, chief executive of Blue Telecommunications is NOT the individual behind 18866, despite the fact that there is a simmilar industry and same name.  Blue is a provider of wholesale line rental services, least cost routing, and provides services o the corporate sector.

I have no knowledge of the other Darren Thomas, and should someone wish to contact me directly, this can be easily confirmed.

Best regards,
Darren Thomas

Darren,

Thanks for clearing this up.  The main thing about call18866  (www.call18866.co.uk) ; is their mysterious reluctance to grow at all fast or to advertise their product.

This can surely only be explained by them free riding on some spare telecoms bandwidth of another existing larger business telecoms service.  If this was their main business they would surely want to grow as fast as they possibly could?

I can only assume that the other Mr Darren Thomas is in fact a swiss gnome from Finexia using an English nom de Plume?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005 at 10:40am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Darren_Thomas

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 11:22am

Hi,

The identity of the other Mr Thomas remains a mystery to me too.  It is, however, not unusual for a company to operate a number of services, of which least cost services is simply one.

It may be that they have a carrier agreement which allows them to be billed for usage rather than bandwidth.  Meaning that, if nobody uses their services, then they would have nothing to pay?  But of course if they have subscribers using their access code then they would receive a bill from the carrier, apply a margin/mark-up and then bill the end user.

Either way, good luck in your search for the other Darren Thomas.  When you have concluded your investigation, please let me know your finding.

Best regards,
Darren Thomas

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 11:39am

Quote:
Hi,

The identity of the other Mr Thomas remains a mystery to me too.  It is, however, not unusual for a company to operate a number of services, of which least cost services is simply one.

What is rather unusual about Call18866 is running a service that customers seem to appreciate and applaud but being so shy of any direct customer contact.

Emails are not replied to and they operate out of a P O Box number.  All we know is that their website address is registered to a company called Finexia and that a large amount of the presentational elements of their website are shared with www.1899.com

However unlike TalkTalk Call18866's billing is 100% accurate and they only ever bill customers for calls that have connected for the amount's quoted in their price list.  With TalkTalk one will unfortunately tend to see a long list of calls that one has dialled but that were not actually answered by the called party.

Anyhow apologies for any confusion caused by suggesting that you might possibly be in any way connected to the other Darren Thomas.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 12:12pm

In other words NonGeographicalMan,

since 18866 seem to provide an excellent, at present unbeatable service with accurate billing (and I would agree on those points from my own experience) does it really matter if we do not know the name of the individual or individuals running it? They probably have their own reasons for remaining incogneto. I would think if they were known overtly to BT for example they would get some undesirable attention!

I think this guy is probably right to remain low key. If I were in his position I would probably do the same. In the meantime if he continues to give me the current lowest call charges and accurate billing which I get I am well pleased.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 12:24pm

Quote:
In other words I think this guy is probably right to remain low key. If I were in his position I would probably do the same. In the meantime if he continues to give me the current lowest call charges and accurate billing which I get I am well pleased.

I feel perfectly sure that BT are well aware of the existence of call18866, have investigated it and have tried to find a way to stop it. But they have failed.

But it is interesting that Call18866 can't grow too fast.  For instance you can imagine how much business they might have got if they had spent as much on tv advertising as the not at all cheap Tele2 has.

I imagine that for call18866 there is almost no marginal cost in carrying our individual calls as the telecoms capacity is already there anyway for other reasons.  But clearly there is not so much spare telecoms capacity that they could easily handle say 1 million customers.

All good things tend to come to an end as they say and I have a feeling that with call18866 it is probably only a matter of time until that happens.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005 at 12:24pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:08pm

Many companies offer very good deals, and take out lots of advertising.

What then happens is that loads of people take advantage of it, and they don't have enough staff to cope with the extra demand, and then can't spare their current staff to help train new staff, and so it all blows up in their face.

This of course leaves new customers with a bad impression of the company, and alienates current customers, who receive a lesser level of service than before.

Call18866 is probably happy to not have a large marketing department, and receive small amounts of new customers through word of mouth.

They sound like a small company which knows it's limitations.

As for operating from a PO BOX, as I believe, you can request from Royal Mail, at no charge the name and address of the owner or business of any PO BOX address.  Has this been tried in your investigation.

Being publicity shy does make this sound like a fly by night company though.  Fair enough, you don't want a call centre, but if you give a means of contact via e-mail, you should at least answer them!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:19pm

Well, they answered my enquiry (about CLI) speedily and fully.  Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:24pm

Quote:
Well, they answered my enquiry (about CLI) speedily and fully.  Smiley

They never answered any of my questions asking why they now charged more per minute than BT for 0870 calls and why they didn't simply not carry the calls to 0870 rather than do this.

They also never answered my query asking why they don't offer a CPS service.

It looks like you must have either asked a question to which they had a handy stock email answer prepared or may be your answer was in the form of one of the many FAQ scenarios displayed on their website?

Or may be you asked your question when they only had 500 customers rather than the current 10,000 customers?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge