Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Re: Who is behind Call18866? (Read 54,858 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Who is behind Call18866?
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:28pm

Quote:
Many companies offer very good deals, and take out lots of advertising.

What then happens is that loads of people take advantage of it, and they don't have enough staff to cope with the extra demand, and then can't spare their current staff to help train new staff, and so it all blows up in their face

But call18866 could easily handle 5 million customers tomorrow without overloading the call centre or the email response times since they already don't provide any form of voice or email customer support.

All they would need is some more telephone bandwidth and a bigger customer billing computer to handle the additional automated bill emails.

But if they are freeriding on the back of another bigger and more serious business telecoms company their growth in customer numbers beyond a certain level will simply be unsustainable.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:32pm

hmm, I would presume that they prefer to carry the call rather than refuse it, much like a taxi company might use a competitor, rather than not have you call them again first.

CPS might require more expense for them in setting up and allowing for changeback etc.

No, I read the FAQs fully before asking.

I can not now recall when I asked the question, a couple of months ago, perhaps.

And I have been (am still) very pleased with the standard of billing and quality of call etc.

But perhaps you might end up compiling a list of Frequently Unanswered Questions (FUQs)?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:46pm

Quote:
hmm, I would presume that they prefer to carry the call rather than refuse it, much like a taxi company might use a competitor, rather than not have you call them again first.

CPS might require more expense for them in setting up and allowing for changeback etc.

But lately call18866 have been refusing to take on new customers which seems to confirm my point about there being a limit to the number of daily telephone calls that their current business model (almost certainly involving another more conventional business telecoms call carrier as well) is able to sustain.

Also offering a CPS service probably requires your telecoms business to be legally based in the UK, which call18866 almost certainly is not.

But as the old saying goes "never look a gift horse in the mouth".
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:49pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:04pm

Yep that's it NGM. "We've never had it so good" !
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:04pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

one

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Does anyone know why 18866 has a 5 digit access code where as all other suppliers (that I know of) only have a 4 digit access code? Is there a cost associated with it and is it cheaper?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 3:59pm

Quote:
Does anyone know why 18866 has a 5 digit access code where as all other suppliers (that I know of) only have a 4 digit access code? Is there a cost associated with it and is it cheaper?

I don't think you are right that all other uk suppliers only have 4 digit prefixes.  I think only the big boys (eg Onetel = 1877) have 4 digits and they pay more for this privilege.

Call18866 were small when they started and I suspect there are a host of other 5 digit prefixes offered by the smaller indirect routing providers.

Of course if somebody could name a website where information on all these uk indirect routing codes is listed that would be absolutely fantastic.

IP Logged

pud

Reply #21 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 4:11pm

Quote:
I don't think you are right that all other uk suppliers only have 4 digit prefixes.  I think only the big boys (eg Onetel = 1877) have 4 digits and they pay more for this privilege.

Call18866 were small when they started and I suspect there are a host of other 5 digit prefixes offered by the smaller indirect routing providers.

Of course if somebody could name a website where information on all these uk indirect routing codes is listed that would be absolutely fantastic.

If you've got the time, try:

http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/search/Phones/oftel_cl_s10_code-3.html

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 4:12pm

Quote:

OK here is the website with the list of indirect access codes.

www.ukphoneinfo.com/search/Phones/oftel_cl_s10_code.txt

You can see that there are plenty with 5 digit numbers.

You will also see from this that 18866 in fact belongs to Connect Telecom which may itself be worthy of further investigation.

However I'm sure this list is correct as 1877 is correctly attributed to Centrica, the owners of Onetel
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005 at 4:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 4:37pm

There is a combined listing for Connect Telecom and Call18866 here:-

www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/opnotes.htm

This lists an 0844 contact number that in fact only has the same effect as entering 18866 on your own 18866 registered BT line and waiting 10 seconds.  That is you reach the 18866 automated account holder system.  The only difference is you pay 5p for dialling the 0844 number.

Onetel Directory Enquiries list two companies on a nationwide number search that more or less match the description Connect Telecom:-

These are:-

Connect Communications - Setford

01366 728658

They were constantaly engaged when I called

and

Connect International - Cambridge

01223 353469

They answered but claimed that the company was closing down its business and about to relocate to France.  Could this I wonder be them?  Should I perhaps have asked to speak to Darren Thomas.

The plot thickens.

18866 certainly doesn't seem to want their customers to track them down.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 5:25pm

The Connect in Setford turn out to sell Public Address systems so its not them.

IP Logged

one

Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 1:21pm

Looking up Connect Telecom UK Ltd on the Companies House Website gives:

CONNECT TELECOM UK LIMITED
12 SHEET STREET
WINDSOR
BERKSHIRE SL4 1BG
Company No. 04198443
Date of Incorporation: 11/04/2001
Previous Names:
Date of change Previous Name
15/05/2001 WEB.COMS LIMITED

You can get more information if you are prepared to pay.

I've tried directory enquiries and no listing

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 2:05am

Quote:
Looking up Connect Telecom UK Ltd on the Companies House Website gives:

CONNECT TELECOM UK LIMITED
12 SHEET STREET
WINDSOR
BERKSHIRE SL4 1BG
Company No. 04198443
Date of Incorporation: 11/04/2001
Previous Names:

Date of change Previous Name
15/05/2001 WEB.COMS LIMITED

You can get more information if you are prepared to pay.

I've tried directory enquiries and no listing

My mum lives 5 miles from Windsor.  Could be worth a quick look when I'm next over there.

Paying extra to Companies House will only reveal the directors, the main shareholders and the balance sheet.

It would cost about £10 for this stuff for which of course I could make about 1,000 01 or 02 calls with call18866.  It certainly seems clear that they don't want to be contacted though.

IP Logged

bargainboy

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 11:34am

Lets not get carried away here.  When 18866 first came out they were charging 1 p connection fee.  I now realise that they are charging a 2 p connection fee.  That is a 100% jump in charges.  Therefore it seems evident that this was a loss leader.

Given that it is now possible for those citizens with an existing domestic BT analogue landline to get a combined line rental and unlimited UK standard land line calls (any number beginning 01 or 02) for £19.50 per month (see www.lowerhomebills.co.uk) it makes 18866 a less attractive offer.

If you make more than 475 calls per month, which is about 15 calls per day, 18866 will be more expensive. 

So you pays your money and takes your choice  Undecided

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 11:52am

Quote:
If you make more than 475 calls per month, which is about 15 calls per day, 18866 will be more expensive.

I only make a larger number of calls on weekdays.  There are about 22 weekdays in the average month so this is perhaps 20 calls on a weekday and say a couple on each weekend day.  So more than I am making.

But clearly for anyone with a family at a home then an all inclusive calls deal at £9 per month will start to look quite attractive.  Especially as getting other members of the family to dial 18866 is rather tricky.  I can't even persuade my sister to do it when she visits.

But at least she visits only at the weekend........

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 11:56am

I think the other point is that call18866 probably don't want to get many more new customers for now as there is clearly a finite capacity to the cheap calls pipe that they are riding on the back of.   If this wasn't true they would clearly advertise their service in a meaningful way and try to obtain as many new customers as they possibly could.

So having captured all the customers they want for the time being they might as well squeeze a little more profit out of them.  And they know that most of them will find 2p rather than 1p a call something that they have to live with.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge