Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
National Dialling Only numbers/ Univ of Leicester (Read 43,609 times)
jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
National Dialling Only numbers/ Univ of Leicester
Jul 24th, 2004 at 5:13pm

I discovered this site last week - fantastic! I'll always check here first before phoning any non-geographical numbers.

I immediately set about finding the "real" number for rooms in student accommodation at the University of Leicester, by finding which numbers were allocated to NTL from the Ofcom website, as suggested in one of the forums.

NTL were allocated 18 different blocks of numbers, and a quick Google showed that most of these were used by 1000s of companies, so were clearly not correct. So in a few minutes, success! So numbers in the form 0870 015 xxxx become 0116 005 xxxx

I tried calling one such number from my office in the university, and it worked as long as I included the national code. (Note that the main Uni phone system is completely separate from the accommodation system - operated by BT I presume).

My rejoicing was short-lived, however. Calling from a mobile gave "number not recognised", as did a standard BT landline.

Local numbers starting 0 or 1 are for "national dialling only" according to Ofcom. As such, they are seemingly blocked by service providers, but somehow the internal exchange system we have at the university seems to bypass that and allow it to be dialled. There's no reason why the number shouldn't be available as long as you dial the national code before it, but it seems it isn't.

I called the BT operator and asked to be put through to one of those numbers. At first she said I must have got it wrong, but when I insisted I had called it from work, she checked and said it was a valid number, commenting, "I haven't seen one like that before." She said it might be that NTL's network was down, and claimed they don't check these things and are impossible to contact. She was quite nice about it, but didn't have a clue really.

If this site becomes popular, how long until companies request "national dialling only" numbers that most people can't access, forcing us to use the rip-off ones? In that case, aren't we sunk?

Sorry this is a long post. If anyone has any idea how to unblock these numbers, I'd be pleased to hear about it. Also, if you want to try it (perhaps someone outside Leicester could try) you should be able to reach NTL customer services on 0116 005 5555.

Jonathan

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: National Dialling Only numbers/ Univ of Leices
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 7:41pm

After a discussion on uk.telecom, various people tried this number. Success was reported when calling from NTL phonelines in other parts of the country, and from Orange mobile phones (which someone said are routed via NTL's network).

There doesn't seem to be a way to add comments once I have submitted a number for verification. The geographical number won't work universally, but would be of use to people on NTL or Orange.

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 9:08am

Having followed this link, I find that you should be able to dial any UK number from a BT landline.  

It says that "Only BT and Kingston Communications (Hull), however, are obliged to ensure that their customers can dial all numbers within the UK", so  I would suggest you contact BT to find out why they are not allowing access to NTL 0116 015 numbers.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:21pm by pauld »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 10:39am

But Ofcom also say, "National-Dialling-Only Number means a Geographic Number that can only be Adopted or otherwise used with its Geographic Area Code and for purposes where End-Users will not dial it."

So maybe BT will just say I should be using the 0870 number - they are not blocking my access to a particular line, just to one of the numbers used to access it.

However, it does say "all numbers within the UK", not "all subscribers..." or "all lines..."

Who should I contact at BT? I've already tried the operator, who didn't seem to know much and just suggested it might be a problem with NTL's network.

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 11:16am

I just spoke to Ofcom (020 7981 3040) and briefly explained problems people have dialling 0116 005 xxxx and they said they know of no reason why BT should block access to this numbering range.  They advised ringing BT on 0800 671502 and asking them to investigate why this is happening.

The guy at Ofcom wanted the complete number to investigate this, but obviously you can supply this when calling BT.

Good luck.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 2:12pm

Jonathan (or are you like my brother & use Jon?)

Can you let me know of any of the numbers (or the number range) so that I can complete the Unverified entry for this.

I talked to the BT number suggested by Paul but they also need the number (range) to investigate.

So if you would be so kind !

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 5:28pm

I do apologise, I've only just noticed that there were some more replies to this thread!

A number that should definitely work is 0116 005 5555. That's NTL customer services (it rings from my office phone).

You can also try 0116 005 2579, which belonged to a friend who left some weeks ago (you should get an answerphone with a message from the room's previous occupant).

I don't know the exact number range, and I don't think anyone would give it to me! As far as I know, all 10000 numbers are potentially available to the University. I can only ever recall seeing internal numbers beginning 2, 5 or 6, though. (i.e. 0116 005 2xxx, etc.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 12:34pm

A check of the Ofcom site shows that these numbers beginning 0 (following STD code) are being introduced. I don't know why, there's plenty of other numbers.

See here:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing_numbering/numbers/numbers_administered/#geog1

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 12:40pm

Quote:

That's where I found the 0116 005 code in the first place! They say these numbers are only for instances where the end user will not need to dial them.

Maybe they are using these numbers to avoid wasting numbers that can be dialled without the code that they think may be needed in the future.

But my suspicion is that they are deliberately using these numbers so that the geographical number can't be used, forcing people to dial 0870. If this trend spreads to other companies or organisations who currently use non-geographical numbers, this site could eventually become useless. Sad

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2004 at 1:40am

It seems that these numbers are blocked by BT to force callers to use the 0870 NGNs. Instead of calling the 0870 number provided, you could get your own NGN (maybe 0845 cause it's cheaper) and point it at the 0116 number.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2004 at 10:25am

Quote:
It seems that these numbers are blocked by BT to force callers to use the 0870 NGNs. Instead of calling the 0870 number provided, you could get your own NGN (maybe 0845 cause it's cheaper) and point it at the 0116 number.

The poster above suggests that BT and Kingston are obliged to allow customers to call all numbers in the UK, though. So should they allow people to access these geographical numbers?

As for getting my own NGN, the companies offering these numbers usually phone up to check that the number is correct and belongs to the person ordering the number. If they can't dial the geographical number, it won't be possible to set it up.
Anyway, I might occasionally call a number of people who have numbers on this system, and I can't set up 0845 numbers for all of them! I want to use a 0116 number to make use of the 5.5p for an hour tariff that BT force me to use!
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004 at 10:28am by jrawle »  
IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2004 at 10:36am

Quote:
I want to use a 0116 number to make use of the 5.5p for an hour tariff that BT force me to use!

Or the 1p per call flat rate 18866 charge.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

Beattie

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 10:23pm

Perhaps complaining to BT about blocking the numbers is missing the point, as they are one of the most expensive for geographic calls. Why should the cheaper companies block them? Forcing use of 0870 pushes you back to BT, who are generally the cheapest for non-geographic calls.

So do all companies other than NTL and Orange block? What about the various companies that allow you to make cheap calls on 084 numbers? You can call UK landlines (and some international destinations) for about 1p a minute. Then you are technically going through a non-geographic number as required.

IP Logged

Beattie

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 1:26am

Quote:
you could get your own NGN (maybe 0845 cause it's cheaper) and point it at the 0116 number.

Anyone tried this with success? Who is the best supplier of free 0845 numbers, in terms of ease of setup? What about even cheaper to dial 0844 numbers? I presume it wouldn't be possible to earn revenue. If the companies must call you to check initially, it would best to have one where you could freely change the destination number, like Personal Numbering. This would be of use if you have many of these numbers to dial.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 10:55am

Quote:
Anyone tried this with success? Who is the best supplier of free 0845 numbers, in terms of ease of setup? What about even cheaper to dial 0844 numbers? I presume it wouldn't be possible to earn revenue. If the companies must call you to check initially, it would best to have one where you could freely change the destination number, like Personal Numbering. This would be of use if you have many of these numbers to dial.

The latter point is a problem. I never know who I might want to call on this system. This might be an option if there was one number I called regularly. But at best, to change the destination of an 0845 number, you have to contact the company, and they do it within the hour. Hardly convenient just for making a call! Personal numbering uses 07 numbers and costs a fortune to call.

But anyway, 0845 is still not good enough! I pay BT for "Option 1" which means I can talk for an hour in the evening or at weekends for 5.5p. On 0845 I get 5.5 minutes for 5.5p!

Note to anyone in Leicester reading this thread: the problem is with phones in the University-managed Halls and self-catering residences where they have NTL phones. In Opal Court they have a different system, and the geographical number works fine from all phones, including BT lines. The number is 0116 214 xxxx. (It is currently in the "unverified" list as DaveM wants to test a number before adding it to the main list!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge