Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 499,717 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #180 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:57pm

[Scottish parliament]

Business Bulletin No. 145/2006: Monday 16 October 2006

S2W-29032 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive how many 0870 numbers it operates.

S2W-29033 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive which of its services operate an 0870 number.

S2W-29034 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive whether it will list the services for which it has responsibility that operate an 0870 number, also listing the telephone number.

S2W-29035 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive what its policy is on charging individuals who phone a service for which it is responsible.

S2W-29036 Mr Kenneth Macintosh: To ask the Scottish Executive which of its departments operate 0870 phone lines.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #181 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:59pm

[Scottish parliament]

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/audit/or-07/au07-0502.htm

Murdo Fraser: I would like to ask a short follow-up question because your comments on the 101 number were interesting. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seemed to suggest that if we introduced a new national non-emergency number the public would become very aware of it and would make far more calls to it than the current number of non-emergency calls, so the cost might be higher than we would expect.

Miranda Alcock: The non-emergency use of 999 might reduce, but the total number of calls would increase hugely. That has happened under the new system. The convener spoke about the number of callers who had difficulty in getting through. One difficulty that every force had was in estimating the number of calls that it received before centralisation. All the forces underestimated the number of calls, so they were stuck with systems that were geared to dealing with the number of calls that they thought they would receive, while they were dealing with far higher call numbers than expected. That has been a huge change for all the forces, which they are still struggling to cope with.

The Convener: The point is relevant. Problems and demand have not necessarily increased but, because the new centres have higher capacity, they are meeting the previously unmet need. As I and, I am sure, others know from talking to constituents, if people wanted to report something that was not a life-or-death issue, they often became so frustrated that they just gave up, so the incident was never recorded. Once the system can cope with more calls, more calls inevitably get through. That has produced an upsurge in some areas.

Murdo Fraser makes a relevant point. People aspire to having a simple number, because that can be easily remembered and dialled when people know that it is not a life-or-death issue, so it does not mean a 999 call. Murdo Fraser has suggested that having such a number could have significant cost implications. We would need to consider carefully whether alternatives exist.

I have an antipathy to public agencies using 0845 or 0870 numbers, which cost a significant amount of money to call from mobile phones. Often, the poorest sections of the community have to use mobile phones to make such calls, and they can least afford that. Some households make the mobile phone their main phone to avoid paying line rental and we could burden those people with significant costs. I had to dial the 0845 number for NHS 24 when I was out with my wife and she was taken ill, and I was on the phone for a considerable time. I could afford that, but not everyone is as well placed.

We need to do further work to ensure that we have proper accountability, proper accessibility

Col 118

and proper management of costs. A balance must be struck in having an alternative to 999 and achieving public access. Perhaps we could come back to the separate issue of public access to public agencies that use such numbers.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #182 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 12:01am

[Scottish parliament]

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/officialReports/meetingsParliament/or...

Stewart Stevenson (Banff and Buchan) (SNP): I listened with considerable interest to Richard Baker's speech. He said many interesting and valuable things. Of course, the jobcentre plus staff are committed and engaged. During the recent problems at Richards, they went beyond the narrow brief of their job. That is an example of why the public services, in many instances, have an advantage over the services that are provided

Col 14344

by private companies. The problem is that the proposed changes put at risk the public service ideal. I am sad that Richard Baker was unable to sign the motion in Brian Adam's name, but I take it that he is supportive of it. If MPs failed to relay their constituents' concerns, whatever their individual views, they would reap the whirlwind. If those MPs are part of the Administration that is making changes that could potentially disadvantage their constituents, they will be judged not on their ability, but on their achievement.

There are some important general issues around all this. We must consider innovative ways of delivering benefits and ensuring that people in our community are able to access the benefits to which their situation entitles them. In Aberdeen, there are encouraging signs and, in some places, one can go to one address and access a range of services. However, it appears that the changes that are envisaged might well put that at risk and mean that people will have to visit many doors to get the same support as they received before.

We should not underestimate the real difficulties that people have with paperwork. My wife, like me, is a mathematician, who has made a successful business career for herself. However, like many others, faced with her tax form, she kept it right to the end until, finally, on 25 January, she said, "I need your help." By the way, I refused to give her help, on the basis that she is at least as intelligent as I am—and probably more intelligent—and that she might blame me for making a mess of it. The point is that the people who most need the support of a range of benefits are those who are least able to deal with the paperwork.

If we take that further, it is obvious that moving support to the telephone will create more barriers. As my colleague Brian Adam mentioned, it will create an economic barrier because the 0845 dialling code, which was originally introduced as a local-rate call that could be delivered nationally, is now tied to a fictional local rate that no telephone company charges that now exceeds what the telephone companies charge for national calls. The practice has been severely criticised in a recent Office of Communications report, which also criticised the charges for 0870 numbers, so I hope that we will see some change on that.

However, the proposed closures will also remove the essential across-the-desk contact that allows the adviser to see the body language of the person who is seeking help and the recipient to get feedback. Those with the greatest needs are precisely the people who will not get what they need without human access. Like other members, I suspect, I have used the services of DWP staff for many of my constituents who I thought would benefit from the benefits check facility that is

Col 14345

available. That service is put at risk by the proposed changes across Scotland.

I say yes to innovation and to delivering services through a single door. However, simply paying off staff and closing offices will contribute nothing to addressing social exclusion.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #183 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 12:07am

[Scottish parliament]

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/documents/AOLettertoRoberGordon....

Dear Mr Gordon,
AGS REPORT – POLICE CALL MANAGEMENT
At its meeting on the 24 October 2007, the Audit Committee considered the joint Auditor General for Scotland and Accounts Commission report entitled “Police call management (AGS/2007/08)”. An extract from the official report of that meeting is attached for information.
The Committee noted the report and agreed to write to you as the Accountable Officer to ascertain how the recommendations set out in the report will be taken forward. The Committee raised a number of concerns regarding the use of the 999 number for non-emergency calls, the provision of feedback to callers and the provision of information to attending officers. The Committee also highlighted underlying issues in relation to the accountability framework for police services in Scotland. The Committee is specifically interested in the following points:
The Report highlights the fact that a large number of 999 calls do not relate to true emergency situations. The Committee therefore wishes to know:
• Is the Scottish Government doing any work to coordinate the use of alternative numbers for non-emergency situations?
• Has the Scottish Government considered the cost and resulting accessibility implications to members of the public using mobile phones to access any alternative number, especially those numbers starting with 0845 or 0870?
• Has the Scottish Government compiled estimates of the cost to forces and to central government of using alternative numbers?
• What plans does the Scottish Government have to ensure the public are aware of what numbers they should call?
• What work is being done to ensure that police services link effectively with other emergency services in relation to management of 999 calls, to ensure effective use of public expenditure across these services?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #184 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 12:13am

[Welsh assembly]

http://www.assemblywales.org/n0000000000000000000000000035384.pdf

5. Premium Rate Numbers for GP Surgeries
5.1 The adoption of 0870 National Rate numbers by GP practices is seen as an additional cost to patients. On the 24th February 2005, the Health Minister John Hutton announced a ban on the use of such numbers by General Practices in England.
5.2 Since this announcement Wales has migrated a number of GMS practices over to the low cost 0844 numbers. Network Europe Group (NEG) has facilitated this on behalf of NHS Wales.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #185 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 12:45am

idb wrote on Dec 27th, 2007 at 12:07am:
• Has the Scottish Government considered the cost and resulting accessibility implications to members of the public using mobile phones to access any alternative number, especially those numbers starting with 0845 or 0870?

What about the cost from landlines?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #186 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:37am

Questions for Oral or Written Answer beginning on Monday 14 January 2008

MONDAY 28 JANUARY
Questions for Written Answer

Notices given on Wednesday 9 January
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179010) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179008) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179007) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) her Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179009) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, how many 0845 or similar telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179013) 

THURSDAY 7 FEBRUARY
Questions for Written Answer

Notices given on Tuesday 8 January
N  Mr Rob Wilson (Reading East): To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, whether it is the Government's policy to publish geographic telephone numbers of Government Departments and agencies that use non-geographic numbers for call centres.
(177945)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #187 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:36am

Notices given on Thursday 10 January
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179198) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179199) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179200) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department, (b) the NHS and (c) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179201) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) her Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179202) 

Notices given on Friday 11 January
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179377) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179376) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179375) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179373) 
N  Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West): To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, how many 0845 or similar cost telephone numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) related departmental bodies for public access to services.
(179374)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #188 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:38am

Provisional Forthcoming Business of the House of Commons
21 - 25 January 2008

Monday 21 January

The House will sit at 2.30pm

Oral Questions - Defence, including Topical Questions
Legislation - European Union (Amendment) Bill - Second reading
Adjournment - 0844 revenue sharing telephone numbers - Mr Graham Stuart

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #189 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 11:50pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 16 Jan 2008 (pt 0037)

Social Security Benefits: Telephone Services
Sandra Osborne: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what estimate he has made of the average cost of making a benefit claim by telephone. [170794]

Caroline Flint: The Department estimates the average cost of making benefit claim by telephone using a BT landline telephone is in the following table.

Benefit Basis of calculation Cost (p)
Attendance allowance
0800 number
Nil

Carers allowance
0800 number
Nil

Disability living allowance
0800 number
Nil

Incapacity benefit
0800 number
Nil

Income support
0800 number
Nil

Jobseeker's allowance
0800 number
Nil

Pension credit
0800 number
Nil

State pension
0845 number. Monday to Friday 6am to 6pm. Based on an average call of 20 minutes at 3.95p per minute including a 6p set up fee per call.

State pension
0845 number. Monday to Friday before 6am and after 6pm and on Saturday. Based on an average call of 20 minutes at a BT rate of 1p per minute including a 6p set up fee per call.

Social fund crisis loans
0800 number
Nil

The Pension Service will always offer to call state pension customers back if they express any concerns about the costs being incurred.

Customers calling an 0800 or 0845 number from their mobile phone, non BT phone network or from abroad will be charged at the specific operators call rate.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #190 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 4:21am

idb wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 11:50pm:
Caroline Flint: The Department estimates the average cost of making benefit claim by telephone using a BT landline telephone is in the following table:

0845 number. Monday to Friday 6am to 6pm. Based on an average call of 20 minutes at 3.95p per minute including a 6p set up fee per call.

0845 number. Monday to Friday before 6am and after 6pm and on Saturday. Based on an average call of 20 minutes at a BT rate of 1p per minute including a 6p set up fee per call.

Oh dear. Start again.

If I read the BT tariff sheet correctly the rates of 3.95p and 1p only apply to those on the Light User Scheme, BT Basic or BT Standard Rate, who incur a set up fee of 3p. Most BT landline customers will be on BT Together.

The only actual figures given are incorrect, and surely these are atypical claimants.

In a recent debate (see posting covering this), it was mentioned that around 50% of telephone claims are made using a mobile phone. This renders all of the zero figures meaningless.

The question asked for the “average cost of making a benefit claim", not possible minimum costs giving incorrect figures for a rarely used telephone tariff for only one benefit based on an average call duration. It was the average cost that was requested. That would never be zero.

idb wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 11:50pm:
… “The Pension Service will always offer to call state pension customers back if they express any concerns about the costs being incurred”.

One may first wish to consider the likelihood of callers being aware of the cost they are incurring so that they could become concerned. One may then wonder if someone who is politely asking about which of a complex array of benefits they may be entitled to receive would wish to start the conversation with a complaint. Some may do this as they angrily demand their rights, but they are no more entitled to fair treatment than those who may adopt a supplicatory tone.

From a political perspective, one may question why we are paying benefits to those who are so wealthy that they may be unconcerned about how they spend money. Those who have no concern about the cost of the call should surely be denied the benefit! Must that concern be expressed?

The answer given suggests that the 50% who call from mobiles do not receive this offer if they have called one of the numbers associated with Attendance allowance, Carers allowance, Disability living allowance, Incapacity benefit, Income support, Jobseeker's allowance, Pension credit or Social fund crisis loans.

In the recent debate (see link to posting above) Ms Flint indicated that the offer to call back applied to all DWP claimamts, not just those claiming the state pension.

Let us hope the hold message says something like “we are sorry for the high cost you may be incurring whilst listening to this message, but as soon as you get through we will be happy to call you back if you are concerned about this”.

There is very good and widely-used technology that will automatically record a request for a call back and schedule it. For those who are prepared to call back to those who are happy to give their number and wait for a call, this technology saves the wasted time, annoyance and totally unnecessary cost incurred by waiting on a dead telephone line.

(Members who are particularly engaged with this issue may wish to provide a suitable briefing for Ms Flint, her DWP officials who wrote this reply, Ms Osborne and others, including those who participated in the earlier debate.)

IP Logged

kk

Reply #191 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Hi SCV

Will you be sending your comments about the incorrect answer to both the minister (Caroline Flint) and to the questioner (Sandra Osborne)?   

The House of Commons has clearly been mislead by the answer given and as such the Minister will have to apologise and give reasons for giving a misleading answer.

Misleading the House is always treated as a serious matter.

KK

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #192 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:13pm

kk wrote on Jan 18th, 2008 at 2:44pm:
Hi SCV

Will you be sending your comments about the incorrect answer to both the minister (Caroline Flint) and to the questioner (Sandra Osborne)?

Many members are in contact with many MPs and others about the various issues raised in these boards.

We seek to find the most effective way of making a change for the better, rather than simply complaining about how things are. Tactical considerations therefore demand that some discretion is shown in who contacts whom, about what issue and when they do it.

Some of us also think it best not to empty their complete in and out mailboxes into the forum, but only to draw attention to matters in the public domain that may be of interest to all readers.

I am sure that some will have picked up on the suggestion at the end of my message. That is no reason why others may not wish to do so also.

David

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #193 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 12:31pm

HOUSE OF COMMONS ADJOURNMENT DEBATE
0844 REVENUE SHARING TELEPHONE NUMBERS
MONDAY 21 JANUARY 2008

Graham Stuart MP will introduce a debate on this topic at the end of today’s sitting in the Commons chamber.

This will commence after any 10:00 pm divisions at the conclusion of the debate on Europe.

The debate will last for 30 minutes. Mr Stuart may take interventions from other members. A minister will reply on behalf of the government.

This is simply a discussion; the only vote will be “that this house do now adjourn”.

The debate will be broadcast by BBC Parliament and by Parliament Live

A record will be found in Hansard from 8:00 am on Tuesday morning

Members may wish join efforts to encourage participation by MPs and coverage by the media.

Links to the published proceedings will be published in this thread.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #194 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 7:33pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 21st, 2008 at 12:31pm:
HOUSE OF COMMONS ADJOURNMENT DEBATE
0844 REVENUE SHARING TELEPHONE NUMBERS
MONDAY 21 JANUARY 2008

Graham Stuart MP will introduce a debate on this topic at the end of today’s sitting in the Commons chamber.

This will commence after any 10:00 pm divisions at the conclusion of the debate on Europe.

The debate will last for 30 minutes. Mr Stuart may take interventions from other members. A minister will reply on behalf of the government.

This is simply a discussion; the only vote will be “that this house do now adjourn”.

The debate will be broadcast by BBC Parliament and by Parliament Live

The direct link for today's debate appears to be http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/VideoPlayer.aspx?meetingId=789&rel=ok - currently showing a discussion about the EU. I'll be tuning back in around 5pm EST/10pm GMT, hopefully to see the 0844 debate. Is there any chance that anything productive will occur?!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge