Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Poll Poll
Question: Have you sent a message to your MP?

« Last Modified by: AJR on: Dec 16th, 2005 at 5:53pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Email Your MP to help challenge 0870 ! (Read 42,300 times)
gdh82

Email Your MP to help challenge 0870 !
Dec 10th, 2005 at 5:43pm

As part of the "What Now? thread, I wanted to begin a new thread specifically focused on this issue.  Thanks to NGM and others for bringing this to our attention. 

Quote:
Ofcom will try to ignore us unless we continue to shout very loudly to our MPs (especially the 45 MPs who have now signed the Parliamentary anti 0870 motion  whilst they are considering the consultation responses.

I'd encourage all readers of this post, who haven't already, to email their MP on this matter - it takes only a view minutes.

CLICK HERE to read the early day motion and see which MPs have already signed up

CLICK HERE to email your mp - simply enter  your postcode, click on your MP, and then enter a few words urging them to sign up to this motion deploring the use of 0870 numbers by government contact centres?

Would anyone who's already emailed their MP be willing to share examples of how such an email could be worded.  Others could amend in order to personalise and suite their own needs ?

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2005 at 8:20pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Email Your MP to help challenge 0870 !
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 9:57pm

Very helpful post.

I suggest everyone in this forum who finds that their own MP has not yet signed the anti 0870 Parliamentary Early Day Motion uses this service to send them an email message encouraging them to do so.

If this list goes up to 250 MPs whilst Ofcom is considering the responses to its consultations it will put a lot of pressure on Ofcom.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:00pm

Excellent idea!

I've sent a message to my MP suggesting he should support the motion and pointing out the strength of feeling that prompted over 1,000 people to respond to Ofcom's consultation. (Also provided the links to the motion and Ofcom's responses to make things easier for him.)

I've also added a poll to this thread so that people can record whether they've sent a message to their MP. I'm hoping this will keep track of how many people have done so.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:06pm by AJR »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:53pm

I've just emailed my MP too.  For what its worth, I've quoted my email below as an example:  

Quote:
Dear Lynne Jones,

Please could I urge you to sign up to the Parliamentary Early Day Motion deploring the use of 0870 TELEPHONE NUMBERS BY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS:
http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...)

You may be aware that there is a growing sense of injustice amongst the general public regarding these overpriced and misleading non-geographic numbers.  Ofcom has recently consulted on the future of such numbers and you can read some of the 1000+ public's responses here:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:54pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:53pm

My MP is not on the list. I will send an e-mail.

Why are some of the names in italics?

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:57pm

Have you followed the link to http://www.writetothem.com/ and entered your postcode ?  This should bring up your MP details - click the link and enter your email...

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Dave wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:53pm:

Bold type is Primary Sponsor.
Italic is Sponsor.
Normal type means supporting the motion.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:04pm

gdh82 wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:57pm:
Have you followed the link to http://www.writetothem.com/ and entered your postcode ?  This should bring up your MP details - click the link and enter your email...

I've not sent it yet, but I've entered my postcode and my MP has come up. I'm using your response as a basis for mine.

AJR wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:58pm:
Dave wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:53pm:

Italic is Sponsor.

AJR, what is the difference between these? Presumably the primary sponsor is the person who tabled it and the 'normal' ones are MPs who have signed it. What is a sponsor (in italics) then?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:04pm

AJR wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 12:53pm:
Italic is Sponsor.

Don't read too much into the sponsors though.  Peter Bottomley is also a strong supporter of the cause but he is not another Ulster Unionist and so would not have been part of the original block of signatories.  Ditto with John Randall who has asked several parliamentary questions previously about the use of 084/7 numbers.

The list can also be easily resorted on a party political basis on the website.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:13pm

From the site's help file, it seems that a sponsor is just one of the first six signatories. As NGM says, too much shouldn't be read into it.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:18pm

Corbyn (trad left), Galloway (who knows!), Bottomley (centre right) and Winterton (right) all supporting the same motion! Is this a first? If these four can agree then there must be something rottten about 0870.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 2:30pm

idb wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 1:18pm:
Corbyn (trad left), Galloway (who knows!), Bottomley (centre right) and Winterton (right) all supporting the same motion! Is this a first? If these four can agree then there must be something rottten about 0870.

0870 is both a massive distortion in the workings of the free telecoms market place and a massive capitalist plot to screw the poorest members of the population with extortionate phone charges they cannot afford all at the same time.

Perhaps that is why our Lib Dem friend Maclolm Bruce who sits in the middle is so in favour of the whole 084/7 racket?  More likely I reckon he must have a friend or relative somewhere who owns an 084/7 vending business.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 11:55pm

I sent an e-mail to my MP earlier on today and I'll post here when I get a response.  Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 1:38am

Dave wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 11:55pm:
I sent an e-mail to my MP earlier on today and I'll post here when I get a response.  Smiley

I sent an email to one of my two local councillors using that service last night and it still hasn't reached me yet. Wink Grin

I hope you have more luck with your MP.  Alternatively try an email to surnamex@parliament.uk (where x is the first letter of their first name) with a Read Receipt request and see if you have any more joy that way?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 2:01am

Quote:
I hope you have more luck with your MP.  Alternatively try an email to surnamex@parliament.uk (where x is the first letter of their first name) with a Read Receipt request and see if you have any more joy that way?

My MP is listed as not having an e-mail address here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge