Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is it my imagination....? (Read 33,472 times)
terryhickmott

Is it my imagination....?
May 3rd, 2006 at 6:57pm

Is it my imagination, or are more and more shopping channels advertising 0871 numbers instead of 0870? Likewise TV adverts such as Virgin Holidays to Busch Gardens etc.
If so is this their reaction to the proposals to reduce revenue share on 0870? And if so is this the reaction OFCOM were expecting (or not)? Or are the officers of OFCOM that naive?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Is it my imagination....?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2006 at 7:22pm

In answer to your questions.

1. No.

2. Yes, they really are that naive (the toothless tiger was their former nickname, but I have officially renamed them 'the Charles Clarke lookalikes' or 'the inept iguanas' - take your pick).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2006 at 12:16pm

terryhickmott wrote on May 3rd, 2006 at 6:57pm:
Is it my imagination, or are more and more shopping channels advertising 0871 numbers instead of 0870? Likewise TV adverts such as Virgin Holidays to Busch Gardens etc.
I saw an advert by Virgin Hols advertising an 0871 and I'm sure it read in top right-hand corner something about the so-called 'national' rate!

I've been looking out for it again but haven't come across it as yet because I was going to make an official complaint to the ASA about it.  If it did read 'national rate' then I stand more chance of them investigating it otherwise they don't bother.

How can you have a 10ppm national rate?  Don't companies have any idea how much a 'national' rate actually costs?  LOL.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2006 at 12:17pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2006 at 1:16pm

bbb_uk wrote on May 4th, 2006 at 12:16pm:
terryhickmott wrote on May 3rd, 2006 at 6:57pm:
I saw an advert by Virgin Hols advertising an 0871 and I'm sure it read in top right-hand corner something about the so-called 'national' rate!

I've been looking out for it again but haven't come across it as yet because I was going to make an official complaint to the ASA about it.  If it did read 'national rate' then I stand more chance of them investigating it otherwise they don't bother.

How can you have a 10ppm national rate?  Don't companies have any idea how much a 'national' rate actually costs?  LOL.

Yes you did see right,it was for Busch Gardens and another one for Florida,I think, I have complained to ASA and they have replied with their standard thanks for the complaint letter we have passed it to our compliance team

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:15pm

Quote:
Is it my imagination, or are more and more shopping channels advertising 0871 numbers instead of 0870?

Yes, quite remarkable, isn't it? I have a subscription to a UK magazine and glancing through this week, noticed that nearly all the 087x numbers have suddenly become 0871.....

Don't I seem to recall that one of the often-(ab)used arguments for businesses not being able to change from a 0870 number was the "...costs of changing letterheads etc". Well, that doesn't seem to be stopping them now!

As I have suggested before, by the time the pitiful Ofcom response on 0870 becomes mandatory, it really will not matter - there won't be any 0870 numbers anyway! They will all be converted to 0871...at even more expensive rates.  Angry

Where does Ofcom get these numpties from?
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2006 at 5:16pm by mikeinnc »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:23pm

mikeinnc wrote on May 4th, 2006 at 5:15pm:
As I have suggested before, by the time the pitiful Ofcom response on 0870 becomes mandatory, it really will not matter - there won't be any 0870 numbers anyway! They will all be converted to 0871...at even more expensive rates.  Angry

Where does Ofcom get these numpties from?

Then Ofcom will bring out a statement saying that "the 0870 issue is now fixed."  Roll Eyes

The whole industry is rigged against the consumer. The only consumer who is 'happy' with it is one who is oblivious to the real world charges, and the fact that they keep going up.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2006 at 10:25pm

I'd seen quite a few 0871 numbers around, but not really noticed that it might be increasing, so will have to look more. Wonderful if it is Roll Eyes

At least with 0870 and the others I could console myself that unavoidable ones could be called from the inclusive minutes on my old free O2 contract, which I purposefully mostly saved it for. But 0871 costs 35p from there.

IP Logged

lordpopperdom

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2006 at 12:15am

andy9 wrote on May 4th, 2006 at 10:25pm:
I'd seen quite a few 0871 numbers around, but not really noticed that it might be increasing, so will have to look more. Wonderful if it is Roll Eyes

At least with 0870 and the others I could console myself that unavoidable ones could be called from the inclusive minutes on my old free O2 contract, which I purposefully mostly saved it for. But 0871 costs 35p from there.

No surprise then to see  O2 are now using 0871 contact  numbers themselves   Huh  see:
http://www.o2.co.uk/personal/choosetariff/0,,111,00.html
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 12:16am by lordpopperdom »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2006 at 1:38am

lordpopperdom wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 12:15am:
No surprise then to see  O2 are now using 0871 contact  numbers themselves   Huh  

I'm not condoning that number, but it's neither new or relevant to the point, as it is for enquiries from potential new customers, who are unlikely to be charged 35p/min to call from an O2 phone. O2 contract customers can call them for free
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 1:38am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

lordpopperdom

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2006 at 2:25am

Yes i take your point. But nevertheless its another example of how these numbers are being used to replace 0870.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 2:26am by lordpopperdom »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2006 at 6:33am

So, have WE shot ourselves in the foot and been 'done-over' by Ofcom?
I ask because our campaign against 0870 has been circumvented by Ofcom allowing migration to the 'even-more-expensive' 0871 - which is an even worse state of affairs than the one we started complaining about, originally.
Or am I completely wrong?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2006 at 12:18pm

firestop wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 6:33am:
So, have WE shot ourselves in the foot and been 'done-over' by Ofcom?

I agree that Ofcom will be 'fixing' the 0870 'problem,' but by companies moving to 0871 they will be charging 10p/min at all times. I assume that they will choose the highest pricing point. Even if they don't, at something like 5p/min, it's still more expensice than normal geographical rates, soI'm sure that the 'Say No' campaign will continue.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2006 at 4:07pm

But it will now take 'forever' for Ofcom to start (and finish!!) yet another look at the 'new' problem with 0871.  They couldn't then ask all businesses to change their numbers, yet again, without a few years grace.
They will consider their job has been done - and in theory we WOULD have been better off with the 0870.  Ofcom are not as daft as we may think - have they led us into this blind alley, purposefully?
Sadly, I think we have been well and truly 'done-over' on this.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #13 - May 5th, 2006 at 4:31pm

firestop wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 4:07pm:
But it will now take 'forever' for Ofcom to start (and finish!!) yet another look at the 'new' problem with 0871.  They couldn't then ask all businesses to change their numbers, yet again, without a few years grace.
They will consider their job has been done - and in theory we WOULD have been better off with the 0870.  Ofcom are not as daft as we may think - have they led us into this blind alley, purposefully?
Sadly, I think we have been well and truly 'done-over' on this.

The main reason companies have gotton away with 0870, is because the majority of callers, and even a few companies themselves were unaware of the rip off.

With more and more people getting free calls for geographic numbers, and the introduction of the new 03 range, this issue is getting more and more public attention, and people are complaining to companies about 0870 numbers.

With 0871, this might push a few more people who previously didn't bother too much about cost, to look at their phone bill, and think something isn't quite right, especially those who waited until the evening or weekend to call 0870.

Hopefully companies using 0871 will be exposed as rip off merchants, and customers will associate their 0871 number as non customer friendly before deciding to do business with them, in the same way as freephone encourages callers.  Unfortunately most businesses use 0870, and 0871 numbers for customer services, rather than sales.  People calling them need to talk to someone about the service (or in some cases lack of!!) they receive, and it's no skin off their nose if a customer didn't bother to call.

However a customer does have a choice to take their business elsewhere.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - May 5th, 2006 at 6:26pm

On a similar note, pay as you go ISP services are being migrated from 0845 to 0844. This is the case for Freeserve users who will be moved to 0844. This means that Ofcom's justification for leaving 0845 as is needs reconsidering.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge