Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Migraine Action Association dump '0870' (Read 13,231 times)
gdh82

Migraine Action Association dump '0870'
Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:48pm

Taken from MAA's July 2006 newsletter:

Quote:
In response to members’ comments regarding the cost of calls to 0870 numbers, we no longer publicise 0870 050 5898 for calls to the Association from non-members. All calls now come to 01536 461333; we have 5 incoming lines and calls are always answered personally, Monday to Friday 9 am - 5 pm, by one of our knowledgeable and empathetic staff; we know how frustrating it is to talk to a machine.

Thought I'd pass on that I've just learnt the Migraine Action Association are now publicising a geographical number for their helpline (rather than the old 0870)!

Another victory for the SayNoTo0870 campaign, good news for migraine sufferers generally and one less headache for me!!  Grin

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Migraine Action Association dump '0870'
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:18pm

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 10:01pm

Well done gdh82.

Its good to hear of another innocently duped organisation mending the error of its ways.  Sadly life is not as easy with most of the 084/7 abusers (who are often totally in collusion with the telcos that sold them the numbers) including apparently the Charity Commission who replied to my complaint about their 0845 number as follows.  You will notice that Mr I Haven't Got A Clue Maintains that "the average cost per call per Customer is cheaper via the 0845 option than if the Commission had changed to a geographic contact number" Shocked Angry

-----Original Message-----
From: McCue Duncan [mailto:duncan.mccue@charitycommission.gsi.gov.uk]
Sent: 26 May 2006 14:56
Subject: FW: 0845 Ripoff Phone Number is Highly Inappropriate

Thank you for your e mail dated 16 May adressed to the Chief Executive of the Charity Commission, Andrew Hind, with regard to the use of 0845 300 0218 Charity Commission contact number.  Mr Hind has asked that I respond to you on his behalf.

Whilst I appreciate your comments you should note that the Charity Commission changed at the end of 2005 from an 0870 (National Rate) to an 0845 (Local Rate) telephone number  in order to ensure that enquiry calls from the majority of our customers would be cheaper because they incurred a local rather than a national call rate charge. Furthermore the average cost per call per Customer is cheaper via the 0845 option than if the Commission had changed to a geographic contact number. In fact, the Commission pays our service provider a small premium for the 0845 service.In addition it is pleasing to note that overall Customer feedback has been positive about the change to the new 0845 local rate number.

It is, however, accepted that in a minority of cases some customers subscribe to 'packages' which, on payment of a standard premium to their Telephone Supplier, permit calls to normal UK landlines at cheap, sometimes free, rates. Such packages  may not, however, offer such concessions in respect of calls to 0870 or 0845 numbers. In such circumstances customers contacting us via the 0845.. number may pay more than they would if the Commission had changed to a geographic rather than an 0845.. UK telephone number.

With this in mind I list below alternative geographic telephone numbers that you can use to contact the Commission.

General Enquiry Line - 0151 703 1797

General Enquiry Line (Minicom service for the 'hard of hearing') - 0151 703 1749

On Line Services Enquiry Line - 0151 703 1644.

I trust that this will suitably address your concerns and assure you that the change to the 0845.. number does, in fact, make the cost of a call to the Commission cheaper for the majority of our customers. 

Yours Sincerely

Duncan McCue

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 9:07am

Heinz wrote on Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:18pm:

When (if?) the 0870 Protest Day is organised, it would be important to have a 'Roll of Honour' listing those organisations who have seen the light and realise there IS life after NGN  Cool.

So, what about this day then...??

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 9:36am

I would suggest testing the willingness of major newspapers and tv channels to run with promoting the existence of such an anti 0870 campaign day and the chances of their properly explaining the issue to the public before progressing the idea any further.

If they aren't willing to play ball with us then it will be a damp squib.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 10:17am

Quote:
I would suggest testing the willingness of major newspapers and tv channels to run with promoting the existence of such an anti 0870 campaign day and the chances of their properly explaining the issue to the public before progressing the idea any further.

If they aren't willing to play ball with us then it will be a damp squib.

Absolutely agree, NGN! But we seem to be going around in circles. As a lowly member I am willing to help (I already offered to make media contacts in Central Scotland) but this needs a co-ordinated approach from you Superior guys.

Remember: 'Give us the tools and we will finish the job...' (Sir Farci Churchill) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 12:55pm

Farci,

But it isn't as simple on this issue as put forward a well argued case a few times and the matter will be rectified.

The creation of 084/7 by BT and OFTEL and the determined refusal to abolish it properly by Ofcom has come about due to very powerful forces with friends at a very high level in government.

We need to have the support of some major newspaper owners etc, who are not a part of the 0870 establishment, to stand any chance of upsetting the applecart and that I fear is why this whole process is such a difficult job.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 2:28pm

Quote:
Farci,

But it isn't as simple on this issue as put forward a well argued case a few times and the matter will be rectified.

The creation of 084/7 by BT and OFTEL and the determined refusal to abolish it properly by Ofcom has come about due to very powerful forces with friends at a very high level in government.

We need to have the support of some major newspaper owners etc, who are not a part of the 0870 establishment, to stand any chance of upsetting the applecart and that I fear is why this whole process is such a difficult job.

NGN - I apologise if I appear to have oversimplified it - I too have been involved in 'spontaneous' campaigns' which required a lot of planning.

It's precisely because I know the difficulties I am calling for a more positive attitude from the senior members of this board to the creation of eg: a press kit, spokesmen's contact numbers, a section of the website with press releases. For instance - do we have a list of parliamentary supporters? Could we organise an e-mail campaign? Can we call on the organisers of other protests to advise us?

I am not asking you Big Men do do everything but simply to take the intiative and not simply bemoan the status quo.

If anyone else is willing to volunteer some participation with strong central direction let's hear from you!

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:28pm

Thanks for the posts on this subject which  I've continued here:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1152133862/15

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge