Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Poll Poll
Question: Do you think it's a good idea to have a SayNoTo0870 DAY?

Yes    
  45 (91.8%)
No    
  2 (4.1%)
Not sure/bothered    
  2 (4.1%)

Total votes: 49
« Last Modified by: bbb_uk on: Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:02am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4? (Read 51,399 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4?
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:07am

AJR,

I hope you don't mind but I've created a poll to make it easier to get an overall consensus of what forum members think!

I will create a new thread in Geographical Requests and Geographical Chat and link to this thread in a hope to attract more forum members.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 10:13am

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:07am:
I hope you don't mind but I've created a poll to make it easier to get an overall consensus of what forum members think!

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that?

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 5:16pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:07am:
I will create a new thread in Geographical Requests and Geographical Chat and link to this thread in a hope to attract more forum members.

Thanks for this, bbb_uk - it will certainly help bring more attention to this thread.  Smiley

I think the naming of forums remains unresolved though.  Don't want to sound like a stuck record but IMO 'Geographical Numbers Chat' is not only terribly vague, its also a misnomer - this forum mainly discusses non-geographical numbers of course!  Undecided

Although it isn't perfect, I think 'SayNoTo0870 Chat & Action' (or something else along these lines) is a better description of what actually takes place in the chat forum.

I expressed concern at this thread being here because the Site Related Forum is described as "Suggestions and comments regarding the functionality of the website. Along with feature requests" which obviously is quite different to organising a campaign.

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 12:27am

Heinz wrote on Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:48pm:
Much as I'd love to help, how can I reduce the number of such calls I make - when I don't make any anyway?

Heinz I just can't believe you never make such calls.

I bitterly dislike making them but they cannot be avoided on occasion with some products I am a customer of - for instance both Sky and Tivo (which has its call centre run by Sky) and for which all 0870 alternatives are presently withdrawn and which do not take customer instructions by email.  Much though I hate the numbers I cannot distort my life so much as to not buy products I otherwise want to have and which are only available from a monopoly 0870 supplier.  I do the best I can by always using the alternative number where there is one and using www.18185.co.uk at 4p per minute when there is no other alternative.

As to the SayNoTo0870 Day its a great idea but it requires getting journalists on side in advance at nearly all the national newspapers and on radio and tv and to get them to run the story prominently.  And the message must be not to call any company that promotes 084 or 087 numbers on that day, even if there is a geographic alternative listed on this website.  If there was a huge decline in calls to Sky and the Inland Revenue they would notice although really a week long boycott would do them much more damage.

However I fear that even now getting the co-operation of enough national newspaper journalists would be very difficult and it could be a damp squib.  I think we need a Panorama program yet on this subject before such an approach is likely to work out, much though I in principal support it.  To get a mass boycott of 0870 numbers to work would also require a large number of people to understand the scam and want to act against it and unfortunately at the moment the majority of the general public still find the scale and significance of the scam too cunning for them as mere simple mortals to understand or want to understand.  Of course they shouldn't have had to as the regulator should have dealt with the issue before it ever became a serious problem........................
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2006 at 12:28am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:27pm

Quote:
I would suggest testing the willingness of major newspapers and tv channels to run with promoting the existence of such an anti 0870 campaign day and the chances of their properly explaining the issue to the public before progressing the idea any further.

If they aren't willing to play ball with us then it will be a damp squib.

farci wrote on Jul 19th, 2006 at 2:28pm:
It's precisely because I know the difficulties I am calling for a more positive attitude from the senior members of this board to the creation of eg: a press kit, spokesmen's contact numbers, a section of the website with press releases. For instance - do we have a list of parliamentary supporters? Could we organise an e-mail campaign? Can we call on the organisers of other protests to advise us?

I am not asking you Big Men do do everything but simply to take the intiative and not simply bemoan the status quo.

If anyone else is willing to volunteer some participation with strong central direction let's hear from you!

NGM clearly has a very valid point but I also agree with Farci.  I've no experience of any such campaigns but I'd be willing to contribute.  As Farci, says, such a campaign would definately need the support of the senior members of the forum.

~ Quote box tidied up by Dave
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:46pm by Dave »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 6:34pm

Barbara wrote on Jul 6th, 2006 at 9:20am:
Do employers reaslise how much these calls cost their organisations whether through employees or as essential business calls?  Even organisations which use NGNs must face higher costs for calls to other NGNs and good organisations that use geo nos are penalised.
It's hard to believe the degree of stupidity that exists within UK organizations, commercial or otherwise. My last employer, when I lived in the UK, used an 0870 number for its 'staff information line' which was primarily used for dissemination of corporate information. This organization, a government agency with a staff of around 10,000, actively encouraged employees to call from their office phones. Whilst the agency may have been making a couple of pence per minute from NTS revenue, it would pay in the order of 8p per minute for each and every call (virtually all would be made during weekday daytime). Despite the agency having a sophisticated telephone switch that could easily accommodate a 'voice mailbox' or similar on one of its internal extensions (as it does with its 'inclement weather information line'!), thus reducing the cost to effectively zero, it preferred to have the ludicrous 0870 solution, presumably suggested by some idiotic consultancy company in partnership with a 0870 reseller. Completely bonkers, but consistent with the UK civil service (including Ofcom) being clueless about telephony matters.

I also had to laugh about this report on the BBC web site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5201748.stm

"Stolen phones cost FCO £600,000"

which includes

"Two satellite phones stolen in Iraq cost the Foreign Office almost £600,000 in bills, a spending watchdog says. It took about 18 months before the phones were cut off, despite a junior staff member in the Foreign Office telephony unit querying the huge bills.

The National Audit Office said neither senior staff nor the Iraq Policy Unit bothered to look into it and continued to pay the itemised monthly bills. "

Read it and weep.

Unbelievable.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 9:57pm

yes Smiley lets do it and show what we can do  but 1 thing we must not used this site on that day as for non members thay must also some how be stopped also for using this site as they might not be as enthusiastis  as us as to not use the site on that day as most 0870 ect numbers lead to the geographical alternative as we all no

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #22 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 9:35am

Does this proposed date not almost coincide with the introduction of BT's new sneaky minimum call charges and per minute pricing?

If so, this could be a valuable hook for our Day "further example of rip-off telcos", " is this why we fought war?"

You get the idea...

Now - about organisation of the event led by senior members of the forum? (I refer my Hon Friends to remarks I made earlier (ad nauseam))

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 10:39am

Re dad2711's post a few days ago, I did say previously that, although use of geo alternatives and NGNs should be avoided on that day, emergencies can occur (eg re trains or other public services) when people may need to use the site and get alternative numbers.   It would not be fair to punish supporters/users of the site by denying them access to the geo alternatives on protest day, indeed this could upset/annoy them to a degree that we lose their support or even prompt them to set up alternative sites which would split and reduce the effectiveness of the campaign.   As I said previously, for a few days prior to 4th October and on the day, put a notice on the site requesting people only to contact organisations primarily using NGNs in an emergency but don't deny people help.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:12am

I don't think this day will be at all effective unless we obtain the prior agreement of various major national radio and tv journalists to support it though.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 4:29pm

Quote:
I don't think this day will be at all effective unless we obtain the prior agreement of various major national radio and tv journalists to support it though.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Quote from farci on 19. Jul 2006 at 14:28:

It's precisely because I know the difficulties I am calling for a more positive attitude from the senior members of this board to the creation of eg: a press kit, spokesmen's contact numbers, a section of the website with press releases. For instance - do we have a list of parliamentary supporters? Could we organise an e-mail campaign? Can we call on the organisers of other protests to advise us?

I am not asking you Big Men do do everything but simply to take the intiative and not simply bemoan the status quo.

If anyone else is willing to volunteer some participation with strong central direction let's hear from you!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 4:37pm

I am not a Big Man but just a passionate enthusiast of the cause.  Unfortunately I also know by now that this is seen by the media as a dispute by people who don't like paying a few pennies on their phone bils (plus many media outfits also use the numbers themselves) so it doesn't inspire the same level of strong public interest or consistent feeling as child abuse or the murder of a policeman.

The Big Man of this forum is Daniel who controls the content of all the editorial areas of the site.  So far he has been totally silent on this matter and without his support I doubt it is going anwhere.  In fact Daniel really hasn't helped at all lately, even by providing a facility to search for numbers automatically in the Unverified list (if none is found in the Verified one) whilst still pointing out that they have not been checked so cannot be guaranteed to work.

The proposed date is actually far too soon.  I would suggest some time in Jan or Feb when people aren't busy with Christmas but are all broke and counting the pennies.  Also October is too soon to get anything arranged.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:00pm

Tks NGM, next Spring (at the earliest) sounds excellent. Perhaps to tie in with the date (in June?) when we start earning for ourselves, rather than in tax.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:15pm

Tanllan wrote on Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:00pm:
Tks NGM, next Spring (at the earliest) sounds excellent. Perhaps to tie in with the date (in June?) when we start earning for ourselves, rather than in tax.

Which date do you refer to Tanllan on which we start earning for ourselves? Huh Undecided

As the tax year starts on 5th April then if one looks at things on an annualised basis then many people are working for the Inland Revenue until the start of August before they get a penny of their earnings for their own use.

Of course we all know that in reality it doesn't work like that and they annualise it and take a roughly equal cut out of your wages each month.

Of course the biggest earner of all from this website seems to be so busy spending the proceeds that he no longer has time to even participate in any discussion in the forum. Wink Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #29 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 1:32pm

(quote from barbara  Re dad2711's post a few days ago, I did say previously that, although use of geo alternatives and NGNs should be avoided on that day, emergencies can occur eg re trains or other public services un quote.) Surely the whole point of this day is to deprive call centres of the phone calls, surely for this to work one has to avoid anyone making unneccesary phone calls otherwise we might as well not even bother trying to do this for one day. Perhaps we can all be slightly inconvenienced for 24 hours.  Please note I am not suggesting in any shape or form in an emergency  that this site could not be used ! do what ever is necessary in that case  
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2006 at 10:42pm by dad2711 »  

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge