Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Poll Poll
Question: Do you think it's a good idea to have a SayNoTo0870 DAY?

Yes    
  45 (91.8%)
No    
  2 (4.1%)
Not sure/bothered    
  2 (4.1%)

Total votes: 49
« Last Modified by: bbb_uk on: Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:02am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4? (Read 51,517 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4?
Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 2:27pm

dad2711 wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 1:32pm:
quote from barbara ( Re dad2711's post a few days ago, I did say previously that, although use of geo alternatives and NGNs should be avoided on that day, emergencies can occur (eg re trains or other public services)  Surely the whole point of this day is to deprive call centres of the phone calls, surely for this to work one has to avoid anyone making uneccesary phone calls otherwise we might as well not even bother trying to do this for one day. Perhaps we can all be slightly inconvenienced for 24 hours.  Please note I am not suggesting in any shape or form in an emergency do what ever is necessary including using this site on the said day  Smiley

The point of the day should actually be to publicise the cost of making 084/7 phone bills on a quarterly and annual basis compared to 01/02 calls being available on fixed price plans for a tenth of the cost (the 3p versus 7.51p per minute does not demonstrate the real nature of the problem, especially not for 0845 numbers).  Realistically not enough people are going to be aware of  our Day to understand it or significantly impact the call centres at one hit.  The impact on the call centres is longer term if more and more people gradually become aware of www.saynoto0870.com and start calling the alternatives.  Also to raise awareness with government ministers and Ofcom about the continuing level of public unhappiness.

To be honest things are only going to change if Mr Stephen Carter's replacement at Ofcom is not someone from a major telco and is a public service oriented type who has a will to actually bring this scam to an end.  People could do worse than start writing to Mr David Cameron and getting him and his team to commit to it being one of the blatant New Labour stealth taxes in the public sector (of which Patientline is the most extreme phone variant) that an incoming Conservative government would make illegal.

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #31 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 12:38pm

Aye hello again, been a while Wink

I think its a fabulous idea. But im just wondering, most of us on the site dont call the 08* numbers anyway. So does this mean we could jus not bother with any call center for that day anyway?

Grand idea anyway.. And there I was thinking it was a get together for a drinking sesh!  Undecided

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 6:59pm

ok i say again do not use this site on that day so the call centers do not get any calls via geographical or the non standard numbers  point made ,job done, i rest my case Smiley

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

JS1957

Reply #33 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 12:04pm

good idea  !!! count on me

IP Logged

PennyMunn

Reply #34 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 1:18am

Wonderful idea to have a whole day to focus activity and raise awareness. How about linking it to the recently increased awareness of junk mail? We could advocate a sort of decluttering at a national level - in other words, eliminating the junk from all our communicative channels (telecoms included) and improving the nation's efficiency.

IP Logged

npd

Reply #35 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 10:42pm

great idea , include 0845, we need lots of letters / emails to BT and OfCom , don't you think?

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #36 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 5:19pm

I've been a bit slow to notice the connection but I wonder if anyone has spotted the same thing as I have?

Can it be a coincidence that there was a surge of publicity for the website beginning on Oct 4?

bbb_uk points out these reports - one on the 4th, three on the 5th and another without a date:

"The newspaper articles about the use of these numbers are available in the following links:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5405620.stm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2389087,00.html
[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=4086 60&in_page_id=1770[/url]
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005300000-2006460369,,00.html
and a BBC news video:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi?redirect=st.s...  "

And here are a few more I found on Google News, all around Oct 4.
http://www.metro.co.uk/home/article.html?in_article_id=20626&in_page_id=1&ct=5&c...
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_headline=---consumers-swarm...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006460311,00.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369673-details/Your+number's+up,+we...

I'd suggest that what happened was the following. Most stories in the media are driven by the newsroom diary. A few are hot news that erupt on the day but most are planned well in advance and put in the diary. Some months ago a few newspapers spotted the suggestion of a SayNoto0870 Day and jotted it down in the diary. Later, the news-editor reviews the diary in advance and assigns staff to each item. But when it came to Oct 4th, this forum hadn't got around to doing anything about it.

(Actually, when the contributor formerly known as Non-Geographical Man suggested setting a date early next year I went back to my first post that set the title of this thread and tried to edit it to change the date to sometime next year. But I didn't succeed so the heading stayed as Oct 4 even though the discussion had moved on to a date in 2007.)

Then on Oct 4, various reporters assigned to the story check what's happening and find the answer is "nothing". So they can either take the day off, or they can try and stay in the news-editor's good books by writing the story anyway. So several stories popped up on Oct 4 or 5.

I wonder how much more coverage there might have been if there had actually been any advance publicity with a press release and someone willing to act as spokesman.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006 at 6:29pm by AJR »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #37 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:28pm

AJR wrote on Oct 12th, 2006 at 5:19pm:
I've been a bit slow to notice the connection but I wonder if anyone has spotted the same thing as I have?

Can it be a coincidence that there was a surge of publicity for the website beginning on Oct 4?

bbb_uk points out these reports - one on the 4th, three on the 5th and another without a date..
I never at first noticed the connection it was only when Dave pointed it out in another thread somewhere (can't remember where).

It could be a coincidence but it seems like an big coincidence if you ask me.

According to the poll, only 40 odd members said they think the SayNo day would be a good idea so due to this I didn't think it was going anywhere.

I also agree that maybe one or two newspapers got it first and I think that each newspaper has "spys" and they inform their competitors of any stories that may be headlines or become headlines, or they get a copy of each newspaper before its released to us jo public.

As I said in this thread, this publicity is good for us but does have its drawbacks like these companies are now aware of this site and if they are underhanded (like Sky) will actually remove any numbers we find or change so it's not diallable.  All this must cost the companies money but obviously nothing compared to the potential loss of revenue to their 084x/087x numbers.

IP Logged

ThisWebsiteIsAScam

Or Why Did NGM Leave SayNoTo0870.com

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #38 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:43pm

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:28pm:
It could be a coincidence but it seems like an big coincidence if you ask me.

According to the poll, only 40 odd members said they think the SayNo day would be a good idea so due to this I didn't think it was going anywhere.

I also agree that maybe one or two newspapers got it first and I think that each newspaper has "spys" and they inform their competitors of any stories that may be headlines or become headlines, or they get a copy of each newspaper before its released to us jo public.

I have a simpler explanation which is that Daniel produced a press release referrring to the works of this site and his day job and sent it out, especially as the coverage in the various national newspapers is basically very similar.

Of course if this isn't the case perhaps Daniel can tell us how he thinks the story may have got to several of the newspapers at the same time? Wink Roll Eyes

The ghost of NGM lives on.......................................................
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:44pm by ThisWebsiteIsAScam »  

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #39 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 10:10pm

And i was one off the forty that said lets do it  but it looks like it will not happen shame Sad

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 4:08pm

dad2711 wrote on Oct 12th, 2006 at 10:10pm:
And i was one off the forty that said lets do it  but it looks like it will not happen shame Sad
we're not actually sure if the next best thing has happened with all the publicity that has happened recently
Smiley

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #41 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:52pm

well lets hope with all the puplicity that has happen that it has a positive outcome to only help and push forward the idea that more and more people do not like and will not phone non geographical numbers  because i only dial geographical numbers and there is many out in the uk like me   Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:54pm by dad2711 »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #42 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 10:59am

dad2711 wrote on Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:52pm:
well lets hope with all the puplicity that has happen that it has a positive outcome to only help and push forward the idea that more and more people do not like and will not phone non geographical numbers  because i only dial geographical numbers and there is many out in the uk like me   Smiley
The publicity I hope will have helped inform other consumers who are totally unaware that these numbers are in fact stealth premium rate numbers.

For it to be effective and force companies to reconsider their use then this I would have thought could only be done by writing/emailing companies concerned.  I've explained a bit more about this in this thread.

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #43 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 7:27pm

Like the draft letter  bbb_uk it could help i think Smiley

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #44 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 3:19pm

dad2711 wrote on Oct 16th, 2006 at 7:27pm:
Like the draft letter  bbb_uk it could help i think Smiley
Thanks.

As I said though, unless people are willing to write/email to these companies and they get enough letters/emails then these companies may rethink about their contact number, otherwise they wont know how much we hate these numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge