Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Poll Poll
Question: Do you think it's a good idea to have a SayNoTo0870 DAY?

Yes    
  45 (91.8%)
No    
  2 (4.1%)
Not sure/bothered    
  2 (4.1%)

Total votes: 49
« Last Modified by: bbb_uk on: Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:02am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4? (Read 51,450 times)
AJR

SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4?
Jul 5th, 2006 at 10:11pm

The campaign to persuade people to write to Ofcom at the end of last year was surprisingly successful.

What about another campaign? - a SayNoTo0870 day.

This would simply involve asking people to make no calls to 0870/0871 numbers on one particular day chosen well in advance to allow for media coverage (and perhaps support from Money Saving Expert).

If people have to call one of these numbers, do it a day early or put it off for a day. If there was enough publicity about it, the effect on call centres might be sufficient for managers to notice the difference. A day with a call centre's staff sitting doing nothing might help to get the point across that these premium rate numbers are unacceptable for non-premium calls.

If people thought this was worth trying, I think it should be a day after the summer holidays. September might be a little too soon. October might be ok.

What do you think?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: SayNoTo0870 Day - Wednesday October 4?
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 10:37pm

Good idea (well done Smiley) - and, of course, not using the say
no
translation/delivery numbers that day either. Smiley

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 9:20am

Brilliant idea but would need a lot of publicity, preferably TV & radio as well as I am sure I am not the only person to have abandoned newspapers when they went tabloid and we got broadband!  Lots of advance publicity then we can each try to get support among those we know and, of course, if people could also manage to do this in their work settings as well as for personal calls to organisations, it would be even better.   Do employers reaslise how much these calls cost their organisations whether through employees or as essential business calls?  Even organisations which use NGNs must face higher costs for calls to other NGNs and good organisations that use geo nos are penalised.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 1:45pm

It is a long time since I've made a post but had to for this suggestion. It is a great idea with the potential of lots of publicity.

Without losing focus it needs to cover 0845 as well as I think most people think this is a cheap local call.

I guess SayNoTo0870/0845 Day.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:26pm

I think it's a good idea as well.

October 4th, is on a Wednesday, so anyone who does need to contact these companies can do so on the Tuesday or Thursday.

Something similair happened a few years ago, with dump the pump, where people were encouraged not to fill their cars up on a particular day.  Don't know if it had much of an impact, but it certainly had the media attention.

Even if people don't take part on a massive scale, it will still cause media attention, and make people think about the cost of these numbers.  Companies that operate 0870 numbers rely on media silence and the majority of customers not aware of them costing more to continue the scamming.

More and more people are becoming aware of 0870 costs, and making their point to companies involved, either in using a geo number and deliberately getting the wrong department (as the only geo number listed is for a certain department) and having to get transferred, or taking their business elsewhere.

Therefore the media attention alone would harm the interests of 0870 operators and their telco providers.  Any more damage such as people going through with the boycott and making their calls on the day before, or day after and leaving lots of call centre staff idle on the day would be a bonus.

Also, don't forget that companies that use geographic numbers, or freephone numbers for customer service as well as sales should not be targetted, and as well as not being targetted they should get a mention in some sort of safe list as companies you can call.  This would be free advertising for them, and they may pick up some extra sales on that day.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:48pm

Much as I'd love to help, how can I reduce the number of such calls I make - when I don't make any anyway?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Heinz wrote on Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:48pm:
Much as I'd love to help, how can I reduce the number of such calls I make - when I don't make any anyway?

Very true.  There will be loads of people who may not make any calls that week anyway.  I do make some calls (usually using the geo numbers of course!!) whenever I need to make a change in service, or complain that something is wrong etc.

What it will do, is ensure that if making a call to a call centre is on someone's "to do list" for that week, that they avoid the Wednesday.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:29pm

Shiggaddi wrote on Jul 6th, 2006 at 3:11pm:

Very true.  There will be loads of people who may not make any calls that week anyway.  I do make some calls (usually using the geo numbers of course!!) whenever I need to make a change in service, or complain that something is wrong etc.

What it will do, is ensure that if making a call to a call centre is on someone's "to do list" for that week, that they avoid the Wednesday.

Yes, the point is not to preach to the converted but to give journalists a hook to hang a story around.

The best campaigns are those where 'spontaneous publicity' is organised in advance Grin. Perhaps members could take responsibility for local media using an agreed press kit.

I'll take Central Scotland if you like...

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 5:30pm

As Tanllan pointed out (I hadn't thought of this) you shouldn't make calls with any of the alternative numbers either. In fact, if possible, access to the alternative numbers list could be closed for the day and replaced with a notice saying "It's SayNoTo0870 Day - Don't call companies that use 0870 numbers."

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 6:10pm

It's not a bad idea.  We definitely need MSE support though and the newspapers that have been known to support us (even if its slightly) in our campaign.

As some companies are starting to move to 0871 or 0844, it may be worth mentioning the whole ngn range and obviously pointing out that calls to these numbers earn the company called revenue in most cases (it's obviously less rare on 0845 numbers but is definitely true for 0844, 087x numbers).

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 9:58am

Have read all the above and agree with everything EXCEPT closing the alternatives list for the day as sometimes it is unavoidable to have to call a particular number on that day eg re urgent transport problems & if the alternatives list is unavailable then people perhaps in real, urgent need will be forced to use the NGNs.  How about, for that day, when people click for an alternative number having a message asking them to postpone their call, if aat all possible, until the next day & explaining why.   After all, people using the alternatives list are on our side & to remove access would antagonise them.    Also, could there be a brief leaflet which we could print off and give to friends & colleagues?   This would also encourage discussion and a broader awareness.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:22am

Yes, of course, you're absolutely right. How about an intervening page instead? So rather than going directly to the lists you'd get a page saying "please don't phone today unless you really have to". Maybe that's what you're suggesting, now I re-read your message.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:24am by AJR »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:44am

AJR wrote on Jul 5th, 2006 at 10:11pm:
What about another campaign? - a SayNoTo0870 day - Wednesday 4 October  2006

Great idea, AJR - gets my support too.  Smiley  As well as contacting local/national media I'd suggest starting some kind of viral email campaign too - a short and simple email with the SAYNOTO0870 logo and links back to this site for futher information.  I'd also suggest that this email is not sent any earlier than 4 weeks before the chosen date so that its not simply read and then forgotten.

Template letters/email regarding a SayNoTo0870 day would vital so look forward to that. 

Perhaps the site could start highlighting this campaign NOW Roll Eyes on the home page and search for a number page to help raise awareness and to begin building momentum...

PS I fear this thread could get missed in the 'site related' area of the forum - I know its been raised before but maybe there should be a separate 'sayno action/consultation' area created or failing that perhaps re-name 'geographical chat' as
'saynoto0870 chat & action'
?  After all, geographical chat is a bit bland, don't you think!  Huh
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2006 at 11:07am by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 7:13am

gdh82 wrote on Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:44am:
PS I fear this thread could get missed in the 'site related' area of the forum - I know its been raised before but maybe there should be a separate 'sayno action/consultation' area created or failing that perhaps re-name 'geographical chat' as
'saynoto0870 chat & action'
?  After all, geographical chat is a bit bland, don't you think!  Huh

As there have been no contributions on this subject for a few days, perhaps this thread is being missed due its location?

Will the moderators start a new area? Is this idea a flyer? How can I help?

~ Quote box tidied up by Dave
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:16am by Dave »  

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 1:36pm

How about a section called Publicity Campaigns or something like that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge