Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details (Read 22,120 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details
Oct 26th, 2006 at 12:09am

Dear bbb/Dave/Forum_Admin

A new forum member called Trubster is disclosing my IP address, ISP name and current IE version in his member signature at the bottom of each page he posts.

How did he get this information as only a forum member and not an adminstrator and what can be done to stop him from posting it?

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:05am

Your IP address, local date/time, browser details, etc are sent to every single webpage you view, or email that has a graphic in it (hence why hotmail now doesn't display graphics unless you set it up to).

The member Trubster has just a graphic in his signature and your IP details are displayed only to you.  No other forum member can see your IP details unless a moderator/admin.

For example, I see my IP address on his signature and the fact that I'm using IE7.

In fact, more information than you realise is sent to every single webpage you visit.  Visit this page and scroll down and see what information can be collected by just simply visiting a webpage.

The signature graphic as shown by Trubster is from www.danasoft.com.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Passport, anyone?
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 12:04am

Why is my IP address and ISP being published for all to see on here bbb?

~Edited by bbb_uk:  This and subsequent posts have been merged with this thread from another thread which was off-topic.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:49am by bbb_uk »  

<div style=

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 4:21am

Quote:
Why is my IP address and ISP being published for all to see on here bbb?

It's not. It's YOUR IP address and ISP and only you can see it.

I, in turn, see MY IP address and MY ISP......

(I guess you are referring to the smart little graphic at the bottom of every posting by 'trubster'?)

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:47am

mikeinnc wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 4:21am:
(I guess you are referring to the smart little graphic at the bottom of every posting by 'trubster'?)

Yes that's what I'm referring to the graphic in his signature area which states your own IP address your own ISP and the browser you are using if what you say is correct mike.  I thought it was just my details he was publishing.

Good to see you post in the forum by the way.  Like so many here you seem to have not posted as much of late.  Is this due to the perceived questionable commercial morality of the forum management viz the anti 0870 cause in your case?

Also Trubster is using bbb_uk's established Forum Avatar.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:47am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:51am

The details I see are not my own IP or ISP, as far as I'm aware.  So who's are they??
Where do I go in my computer to double check these details of IP, ISP?

~Edited by bbb_uk: Amended title to match OP title
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:21am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:23am

firestop wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:51am:
The details I see are not my own IP or ISP, as far as I'm aware.  So who's are they??
It depends on the ISP.  Some ISP's use a webcache server so your IP may show as being a webcache server or it could actually be your IP address as provided by your ISP.

UPDATE:

Firestop - your IP address is shown as a cache webserver by your ISP.  Your particular ISP is known for doing this.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:26am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:26am

firestop wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:51am:
The details I see are not my own IP or ISP, as far as I'm aware.  So who's are they??

Do you also see:-

Quote:
"Your ISP is lixxus.net!  You are running on Windows XP and using IE7! ... What else?????

It also stated my IP address but I'm not going to republish those details here.  It will in fact state judt your own details if what is on DanaSoft's website is correct. See:-

http://www.danasoft.com/aboutdanasoft.php

Your IP address is probably given on your router's home page at http://192.168.0.1 if you have a Router?  Or try this Shields Up utility:-

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I bet the IP address given for you at Shields Up is the same as the one showing in the sign on Trubster's posts?

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:32am

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:26am:
Your IP address is probably given on your router's home page at http://192.168.0.1 if you have a Router?  Or try this Shields Up utility:-

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I bet the IP address given for you at Shields Up is the same as the one showing in the sign on Trubster's posts?
Whether you are behind a router or not, your IP address as assigned by your ISP will show in Steve Gibson's Shields Up page.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:40am

some of the browser tests at http://gemal.dk/browserspy/ will show you what information your browser transmits to all webpages

In my case, the IP address test there shows 2, one for a proxy

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Hi guys, I have just come across this post... I did not realise that my signature was causing so much annoyance on this web site... There is nothing illegal in this signature, and all it does is shows YOU YOUR ip address and ISP etc... these signatures are freely available at the website stated by a mod above (Dont want to spam)

No one else sees your IP address etc... this is only shown to you...

MODS::: If there is a problem with this signature, please let me know and I will remove it, but I thought a signature was all about using a custom signature (which is what I have)

Also, if I have caused offence to anyone, I am sorry but I would have been grateful if someone had contacted me about it first...

Cheers,

Kev

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:26pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 8:47am:
Also Trubster is using bbb_uk's established Forum Avatar.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone by this... I like the simpsons and I think bart is cool.... its ok, I will use homer... lol
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:27pm by trubster »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:26pm

trubster wrote on Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:12pm:
Hi guys, I have just come across this post... I did not realise that my signature was causing so much annoyance on this web site... There is nothing illegal in this signature, and all it does is shows YOU YOUR ip address and ISP etc... these signatures are freely available at the website stated by a mod above (Dont want to spam)

Trubster,

I now understand what you say is true but the first time you see one of these posts in a forum its not obvious that the details displayed aren't able to also be read by everyone reading the thread (as of course any normal data in  a post would be readable by everyone).  Thus without an explanation that only you the current reader can see your own IP address and ISP and IE version it does initially look like a spy in the cab.

Lastly you say your name is Kev which is a strange coincidence as one of our forum moderators who you have chosen to pick the same forum avatar as (Bart Simpson) is also called Kev.  It would really be better if you picked a different avatar if you are going to post on here on a frequent basis although if not it probably doesn't matter if you are posting only occasionally.  Its just that normally speaking when I see Bart appear I immediately think - aha its bbb_uk/kev.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:30pm

MODS::: If there is a problem with this signature, please let me know and I will remove it, but I thought a signature was all about using a custom signature (which is what I have)
I see no problem with this although for those that aren't aware that its only displaying their own IP address may think that everyone can see it (as pointed out by NGMsGhost).

trubster wrote on Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:26pm:
Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone by this... I like the simpsons and I think bart is cool.... its ok, I will use homer... lol
Every forum member is free to choose whichever avator they want - whether someone has already taken it or not.  I have no problems with anyone using Bart Simpson at all as I don't have a copyright/patent on it (be cool if I did as I'd be a millionaire  Grin)

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:35pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:31pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 29th, 2006 at 7:26pm:

Trubster,

I now understand what you say is true but the first time you see one of these posts in a forum its not obvious that the details displayed aren't able to also be read by everyone reading the thread (as of course any normal data in  a post would be readable by everyone).  Thus without an explanation that only you the current reader can see your own IP address and ISP and IE version it does initially look like a spy in the cab.

Lastly you say your name is Kev which is a strange coincidence as one of our forum moderators who you have chosen to pick the same forum avatar as (Bart Simpson) is also called Kev.  It would really be better if you picked a different avatar if you are going to post on here on a frequent basis although if not it probably doesn't matter if you are posting only occasionally.  Its just that normally speaking when I see Bart appear I immediately think - aha its bbb_uk/kev.

All done and changed... sorry for misunderstanding...

Kev

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge