Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details (Read 22,178 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Trubster Disclosing Member IP & ISP Details
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 12:34pm

andy9 wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:40am:
some of the browser tests at http://gemal.dk/browserspy/ will show you what information your browser transmits to all webpages

In my case, the IP address test there shows 2, one for a proxy
That's interesting as I didn't know by visiting a webpage they could tell how you connected to the internet.  This shows that my connection type is: LAN.  Could someone who connects via wireless check to see what is displayed under 'Connection Type'?

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 1:19am

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 30th, 2006 at 12:34pm:
andy9 wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:40am:
some of the browser tests at http://gemal.dk/browserspy/ will show you what information your browser transmits to all webpages

In my case, the IP address test there shows 2, one for a proxy
That's interesting as I didn't know by visiting a webpage they could tell how you connected to the internet.  This shows that my connection type is: LAN.  Could someone who connects via wireless check to see what is displayed under 'Connection Type'?

Hard to believe... it really is big brother is watching... is there any 'Privacy software' where you can with-hold this information???

Cheers

Kev

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:22am

It isn't big brother watching. Any website you visit needs information about what browser you are using in order to chose what information to send back to you, whether you have Javascript or ActiveX plug-ins, what your IP address is, and so on. Maybe it doesn't need to know what type of connection you have at your end, but this is hardly an invasion of privacy.

If all of the various protocols that make up the internet were barred you wouldn't be able to use it. Emails and secure websites that use your personal details are encrypted by a double-key system that means other people cannot get your information as it passes them.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:25am

trubster wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 1:19am:
Hard to believe... it really is big brother is watching... is there any 'Privacy software' where you can with-hold this information???
I believe there is software that can stop some information from being sent to a website you visit but an IP address is always needed as the website you're visiting needs to know where to send the information back to.

None of the information available/sent to a website is actually personally identifiable information on its own as even an IP address can't be used to personally identify you as only your ISP can identify you from your IP address.

Update:

Sorry Andy, double post.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:26am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge