Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Surgeries charge more for calling (Read 174,013 times)
jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Surgeries charge more for calling
Reply #135 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:10pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 27th, 2008 at 8:30pm:
... (each call costs the NHS more than a GP appointment, before adding back the subsidy provided by callers) ...

Well that is ridiculous, and says a lot about both the NHS and the government.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #136 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:24pm

jrawle wrote on Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:25am:
Perhaps you should try not to tell people what they should discuss so often. Not everyone's interested in joining some sort of campaign group. Some of us prefer simply to discuss numbers and help others when they ask queries, rather than jump on them for not wading through the masses of information and poor site navigation...

Hear, hear, hear, jrawle.  Despite his constant denials ever since SilentCallsVictim arrived on the scene in our campaign (having largely achieved success on the Silent Calls front in his own one man campaign) he has regularly sought to both dictate how many of the much more longstanding members of this forum (you will note that we are both Supreme Members of the forum while he is only a Senior Member) should carry out their campaigning activities and to largely consider only his way of doing things to be the correct one.  Also despite his repeated denials he definitely now is positioning himself as MrSayNoTo0870 with the media because he already has the media contacts and credibility to do so and also tends to put his points in the sort of bland, low key, inoffensive, reasonable chappie kind of a way the media seem to like for this issue.  Although the media do seem to like militant firebrands like myself when covering other more emotional issues (road deaths and their connection with speed limits or otherwise for instance where BRAKE, roadpeace and other such groups trade on nothing other than gut emotional reaction not backed up by scientific fact) with this 084/7 issue they seem to regard it as a small beer personal finance matter that must be covered in a low key way.  And for this SCV's approach seems to fit the bill neatly.

Also SCV occasionally claims to be willing to introduce other active forum members to his media contacts but in practice this never ever happens and he always ends up in the media himself since it is perfectly obvious that one of his main motivations as a campaigner is not just to achieve success on the issue but to also see his own name up in lights as much as possible.  You will note how he even chose a forum name that made his own real world identity pretty obvious to anyone who has been following telecoms issues in the media.

SCV has regularly sought to chide my own methods of opposing the 084/7 abusers and seeks to preach that his own methods of only picking on an easy targets and then sending briefing notes to those individuals principally able to control the decision making processes of the body in question is the only likely successful route.  Whilst I cannot fault him for the number of hours he puts in to the cause (as it is clearly considerable) if he continues to seek to tell us that there is only one acceptable way to campaign then he must go back and pick a topic to campaign on where he is the only main protagonist and there is not already a large body of existing campaigners who he has sought to join late in the day.

I have always found with this website that over the four or so years I have been involved that I and most of the main activists have always shared an absolutely remarkable commonality of mind about what is wrong with 084/7 numbers and why we feel so upset about them.  But right from the start I always found I did not have this common mindset with SCV who always sought to approach the campaign with the mindset of a large company team player quietly trying to persuade his bosses that his ideas were their own and then no doubt hoping for the next promotion in return.  Whereas many of the rest of us are more Frenchman at heart who prefer direct action at the burning barricades in trying to find an alternative geographic phone number to ring today and also direct to the point emails to the outfits concerned telling them why they are a bunch of unprincipled two faced double dealing charlatans.

Now that may not be SCV's way of doing things and I do not demand that he adopts our ways any more than I expect to suddenly campaign along the lines that SCV finds comfortable.  But like you what I do find odd is when he seeks to lay down the law on how we should campaign when he is not the site owner or forum moderator but only another forum member.

Oh and by the way he won't like this discussion being in public (and would have sent me another chiding private message about this post if I had not added this last paragraph telling him it was pointless for him to do so) as just like the main large company 084/7 abusers he always likes all discussions on campaigning tactics to take place behind closed doors and out of public scrutiny. Shocked Angry Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:29pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #137 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 3:05am

I repeat, my comment "We do not want to start constructing reasons for those who have gone over to 0844 to stay there for ever" arose from a misunderstanding about a posting that referred to a specific case, rather than to users of SurgeryLine in general.

If in pressing my particular approach I was seen to be attempting to dictate, on this occasion and on others, then I repeat my apology. Furthermore, I do not intend public comments about campaigning approaches to be taken as personal criticism of the individuals who promote or follow them. If I have been seen to fail to fulfil this intention at any time, again I apologise.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #138 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 3:23am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 28th, 2008 at 3:05am:
If in pressing my particular approach I was seen to be attempting to dictate, on this occasion and on others, then I repeat my apology. Furthermore, I do not intend public comments about campaigning approaches to be taken as personal criticism of the individuals who promote or follow them. If I have been seen to fail to fulfil this intention at any time, again I apologise.

SCV,

I think the point is that you are always sympathetic to the position of the other side and try to see things too much from all points of view including why the opposition feel they should have excuses to endlessly delay and procrastinate.

Whereas I just see the 084/7 introducing and using opposition as being the deadly enemy and their position as being totally unacceptable and needing to be utterly crushed in to the ground.

So that in a nutshell is why you and I will never see eye to eye in terms of what we believe is the correct campaigning approach, even though we will both continue to campaign in our own very different ways.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #139 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 5:06pm

Source: Worcester News

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/3954931.Out_of_hours_doctor_service_is_a_suc...

Out-of-hours doctor service is a success
9:40am Saturday 6th December 2008
By James Connell

EVERY patient who calls for a vital face-to-face out-of-hours appointment with a doctor is now getting one thanks to a new and improved privatised service.

The new out-of-hours doctor service, launched in October and run by Take Care Now (TCN), is more efficient than the old service run by Worcestershire Primary Care Trust, say health chiefs.

[…]

If you feel you need a doctor when your surgery is closed and cannot wait until it is open, call the out-of-hours service on 0300 1233211.

[…]

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #140 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 5:40pm

Source: Surrey Comet

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/sutton/4125192.Dial_a_dentist_with_local_NHS_h...

Dial a dentist with local NHS helpline

7:40am Monday 16th February 2009

<<
Residents can get their teeth into a new way of finding NHS dentists thanks to a new phone number.

Sutton and Merton Primary Care Trust (PCT) has launched a new dental helpline that lets people find a local surgery that is taking on NHS patients. Residents can call 0300 1000 898 for information about a service near them.

Dentist Dr Nili Morris, the PCT’s non-acute commissioning manager, said: “We have set up the helpline because we want to help local people find an NHS dentist. Untreated mouth problems can cause harm to our general health.

"So having a check up, especially if one has not been to a dentist for a long time, will help conserve a healthy smile.”
>>

Press release from PCT is here:

http://www.suttonandmerton.nhs.uk/ec/files/pressuploads/Press%20Release%20-%20PR...
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2009 at 5:41pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #141 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 6:07pm

DH Social Care Careers uses 0300 123 1100:

http://www.socialcarecareers.co.uk/

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #142 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 4:11am

Source: Eastbourne Herald

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/Number39s-up-for-NHS.5093935.jp

Number's up for NHS
Published Date: 20 March 2009

A TELEPHONE service providing information and advice on NHS services has a new number.

NHS East Sussex Downs and Weald's confidential Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can now be reached on 0300 1000 891.
A trust spokeswoman said calls to 03 numbers cost the same as to those beginning with 01 or 02, on mobile phones and landlines, and are included as part of any minutes or discount package.
PALS can help to find a doctor or dentist, discuss how to solve problems with the NHS or get copies of health records.
East Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust's PALS team is available on 435886 and mental health trust Sussex Partnership Trust has its own team on 446042.

See also the press release from the PCT:

http://www.eastsussexdownswealdpct.nhs.uk/about-us/news/press-releases/2009-pres...

IP Logged

Othertelecom

Reply #143 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:30pm

NEG have an advert in the new issue of Management in Practice, encouraging practice managers to put their views on a website [www.practiceviews.com which diverts to http://www.networkeuropegroup.com/neg_surgery_line/surgery-staff.html].

On this form-based page they are asked " Q2. Do you know by changing to an 03 number you will pay per minute to receive calls from your patients?

Does anyone know whether providers of 03 numbers are charging the called party for receiving the call or not?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #144 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:36pm

Othertelecom wrote on Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:30pm:
NEG have an advert in the new issue of Management in Practice, encouraging practice managers to put their views on a website www.practiceviews.com which diverts to http://www.networkeuropegroup.com/neg_surgery_line/surgery-staff.html.

On this form-based page they are asked " Q2. Do you know by changing to an 03 number you will pay per minute to receive calls from your patients?"  

Does anyone know whether providers of 03 numbers are charging the called party for receiving the call or not?

Any additional features associated with non-geographic numbers have to be paid for somehow. It is for the TalkTalk group, who provide the lines used by Surgery Line to determine what they would charge GPs for the features provided if they changed from 0844 to 03 numbers. It is quite common for these features to be paid for on a pence per minute basis, rather than through a higher line rental charge.

With 0844 numbers the features are paid for by the caller's telephone company through the revenue share. This also provides additional income to the 0844 user to pay for other things or as "profit". All telephone companies presently reflect the extra cost of connecting to 0844 numbers in their call charges. It could be a matter of debate whether it would be proper for the cost of packages to be increased so that all customers pay for these calls to be included. BT already does this with 0845 and 0870 numbers.

I personally take the view that if premium rate services are being offered and are not to be paid for by the receipient, then indivdual callers should bear the cost, rather than having this imposed on all customers through higher charges for inclusive packages.

In the case of the NHS, most, in not all, other public services and many cases in the private sector it is quite wrong for callers to pay for the telephone service of the organisation they are calling.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #145 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:40pm

On this form-based page they are asked " Q2. Do you know by changing to an 03 number you will pay per minute to receive calls from your patients?
"  

It is hardly surprising that there are going to be charges for receiving calls on 03 numbers.

NEG customers believe in free lunches ... "the revolutionary self funding Surgery Line" it says at the top of that page.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #146 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:39am

[...]
This would, generally, be the case. Selecting a random supplier:

http://www.03numbers.co.uk/0300%20numbers.htm

0300 numbers

Enables customers to contact your organisation for the price of a standard phone call, from anywhere in the UK†

0300 numbers are now available for the public sector (including organisations with a .gov.uk or .nhs.uk website) and not-for-profit organisations such as registered charities.

We charge just £9.95 per month for our 0300 numbers. This price includes 2000 minutes worth of calls each month, after which all calls are charged at a highly competitive 1.0ppm.

---

However, a surgery needs neither an 03 number nor an 08 number in order to replicate its current functions. Exactly the same features, facilities and services can be provided on a standard geographic number, resulting in bundled costs for the caller and no per minute cost for the called party. This is such a straightforward concept, and the sooner those decision-makers within the NHS understand this concept, the sooner NEG's cash-cow will cease.

Furthermore, some surgeries appear to be meeting an additional GBP 300 per month cost simply for maintaining the NEG SurgeryLine system (GBP 600 per month minus GBP 300 lick-back from NEG).

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:41am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jonmerc

Reply #147 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:38pm

hi i am looking at the tele discount website and i get the impression when you dial there 0844 number you can get the follow up number of 0844 for 2p a minute  does anyone no if this is correct regards jonmerc

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #148 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 4:13pm

Not sure that you can do what you say but have a look here.

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php

I think this is more for international calls

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #149 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 4:45pm

jonmerc wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:38pm:
hi i am looking at the tele discount website and i get the impression when you dial there 0844 number you can get the follow up number of 0844 for 2p a minute  does anyone no if this is correct regards jonmerc

Nice idea, but know, it is untrue. You are paying at whatever rate it costs you to dial there access number.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge