Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mystery number - 0870 8507782 (Read 12,594 times)
saabman

North Devon
Mystery number - 0870 8507782
Mar 24th, 2008 at 11:07am

I've been getting a telephone number appearing up to 24 times a month on my itemised bill. I have contacted my service provider but they can't help with this one. The number is: 08708507782 it's an NG3 and only lasts for 6 seconds and always at 28 minutes past midnight. I've tried calling this number but it seems to be some kind of automated machine that makes a few bleeping noises for 6 seconds!! and then the connection is dropped. Is there anyone out there that can throw some light on this?

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008 at 2:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Mystery number
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 11:42am

Do you have an alarm system that is connected to a phone line? A Sky box?

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

saabman

North Devon
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:25pm

Yes, as a matter of fact I have an alarm system that if set off will first try to contact my mobile so that if I'm not far away I can get back and sort it out. If I'm out of my area then an automatic call is made to call out the local security duty engineer to go and investigate. So the alarm system must be able to dial automatically. Could this regular 6 second call after midnight be the alarm checking the line?

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:46pm

Yes, that is probably it. It is probably contacting the monitoring centre to tell them it is still "alive". Unfortunately, it seems that the companies that run these centres tend to use 0870 numbers so they can generate a bit of revenue when it calls them.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

saabman

North Devon
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Thank you for your help. I have e-mailed one of the local security engineers, who I know well, to ask him about this issue. If this resolves the mystery I'll let you know.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 1:07pm

No worries. You would probably be worth contacting the people who provide your alarm system and say that you don't wish to have you system calling an 0870 number, and would prefer it called a normal geographic number instead. They'll probably refuse but it's worth a shot.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ˇ

Peterborough
Re: Mystery number - 0870 8507782
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:32pm

James

We've had this come up numerous times in fact I'm surprised that bbb_uk didn't jump on this straight away. He's dealt with most of them previously so why don't you pick his brains.

As the alarm unit is only on a short time, you don't pay very much so it doesn't matter whether it's a Non Geo or not. You'll only pay the basic charge for it ie. the minimum (on BT). If you don't pay for your Geo calls (inclusive or whatever) I admit that you're paying more, but not much.

Most of these units are preprogrammed with the 0870 number so it's nigh on impossible to change it without having an engineer to assist you by -

i.  Giving you a Geo alternative (like rocking horse wotsit)
ii. Helpng you to reprogram the eeprom with the alternative data  Roll Eyes

. . . and we all know how likely that is  Undecided
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:40pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

saabman

North Devon
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 7:41pm

You were right on jgxenite. I had a phone call from the afore mentioned engineer and he confirmed that it was indeed the alarm handshaking with the control centre. Thanks again.

IP Logged

BigK

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Alarm company ADT are worst for this. Last time I heard about it a customers contract, I believe, stated a geographic number would be called daily. This was subsequently changed on a regular service engineer visit, without telling him.
As the customer had an inclusive geographic call package he demanded it be put back to geographic as per contract. He was refused for some spurious technical reason. He told them to concel his contract as they were in breach.
They rapidly found a solution to the technical obstacle!
When you pay for a monitoring service it is iniquitous that you should pay for the wherewithal to check THEIR equipment

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - May 28th, 2008 at 5:20pm

BigK wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 4:42pm:
Alarm company ADT are worst for this. …

Indeed, see the discussion thread Arrogant Companies - ADT.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge