Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BBC charge for 0870 is 4ppm ??? (Read 22,342 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

BBC charge for 0870 is 4ppm ???
May 28th, 2008 at 9:46am

The BBC have recently started “adverts” for their “BBC HD channel”, and at the bottom of the  “advert” just below the 08700 10 10 10 number is the text; -
“Calls cost no more than 4p per minute from a BT landline. Other operators and mobile rates apply”

Now unless I am mistaken, BT charge up to 6p per minute plus a 6p set up charge, so as an example, a 3 minute call using BBC rates would cost 12p.
However using the true BT rates that same 3 minute call will cost 24p.

A clear case of Misleading Price Indications, which is a clear case of breaking the CRIMINAL Act that is the Consumer Protection Act 1987 (part III)  Misleading Price Indications.

Now which organisation might be interested for me,(and others), to complain to?
OfCoN and/or ASA.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BBC charge for 0870 is 4ppm ???
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 6:59pm

derrick wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 9:46am:
OfCoN and/or ASA.

I think the most productive way of sorting this would be to e-mail the relevant BBC director. They are fully aware of the costs, so there's no need to provide much background information. In the first instance, I think we should assume this is a genuine error.

See the thread posted by NGMsGhost, BBC Board 03 Decision -21st April- Please Email where he's listed them.

I wouldn't send to them all. I think Tim Davie, Director of Marketing, Communications & Audiences, is the best person to contact.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008 at 7:04pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Dave wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 6:59pm:
derrick wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 9:46am:
OfCoN and/or ASA.
In the first instance, I think we should assume this is a genuine error.

The BBC genuine error?

Genuine misinformation if you ask me, they have a track record for it!

Are you going soft on the BBC Dave?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:04pm

I have sent an email to various people at the BBC, and up to now have received 4 out of office replies, however I have just received this one from Michael Stock; -

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to Tim Davie which has been passed to me for reply. 

I note your concerns about the trail promoting our High Definition service and reference to call charges.  Thank you for highlighting this error regarding the reference to the call charges. This has now been corrected and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. As you point out, the BT website gives the landline costs as Daytime 6ppm, Evening 1.5ppm, plus a 6p set up fee.

You may like to know that over the summer the BBC will be moving all our 0870 numbers to the new 0370 numbers which cost no more than to 01 and 02 geographic numbers and are included in call discount plans for calls from both landline and mobiles which will mean that our audience can call the BBC for the lowest cost.

Regards,

Michael Stock Head of Business & Partnerships
BBC Marketing, Communications & Audiences

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2008 at 3:18pm

I have just received this email from the Trustees; -

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email of 29 May to the BBC’s Trustees. I am acknowledging receipt on their behalf.

I have noted that your email was also sent to members of the BBC Executive Board. As I have explained previously, the role of the BBC Trust is distinct from that of the BBC Executive. The BBC’s Royal Charter is clear that operational matters such as this and ensuring the BBC’s legal compliance fall within the remit of the BBC Executive rather than the Trust (Charter, Sections 36c-d). It is therefore appropriate that the BBC’s management investigate the matter you have raised and respond to you.

I would like to assure you, however, that the points you have raised have been noted for the information of Trustees.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Finney

Correspondence Manager

BBC Trust Unit

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 4:17am

Has anyone seen this advert since Derrick's complaint and has it been corrected?

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:42am

I saw one of the BBC HD adverts (the one with Fiona Bruce talking) recently and it still had the "4p a minute" blurb at the bottom.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:12am

The BBC always quote "from a BT landline" when they give onscreen prices for calls and I think someone's just got a bit ahead of themselves with this one.

When their 0370 numbers are introduced later this year, wording like "calls are charged at a maximum of 4p/minute from a BT landline" will be correct (same as a standard 01 or 02 call).
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:12am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm

Dave wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 4:17am:
Has anyone seen this advert since Derrick's complaint and has it been corrected?

I saw it last night and it has been corrected it now reads; -

“Calls cost no more than 6p per minute plus a 6p set up fee from a BT landline. Other operators and mobile rates apply”

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:26pm

Heinz wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 11:12am:
The BBC always quote "from a BT landline" when they give onscreen prices for calls and I think someone's just got a bit ahead of themselves with this one.

When their 0370 numbers are introduced later this year, wording like "calls are charged at a maximum of 4p/minute from a BT landline" will be correct (same as a standard 01 or 02 call).

But they still "conveniently forget" to include the set up fee in most,if not all, their price indications!

As in before they changed the price indication it stated, "Calls cost no more than 4p per minute from a BT landline"

It now states, "Calls cost no more than 6p per minute plus a 6p set up fee from a BT landline"

So it can be done, they just don't want to inform people of the correct premium charge!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:09pm

Further to  my post above, #3,  I sent an email reply to Mr Stock as follows; -

Dear Mr Stock,

Thank you for your reply and the correction to the "advert"

However I would like to ask you about your comment; - "BBC will be moving all our 0870 numbers to the new 0370 numbers" 

What about the slow migration that the BBC is doing re 0871 and 0844 numbers that are gradually creeping into advertised numbers to contact the BBC on, are they going to be moved to 03 numbers? because they cost more than 0870 at evenings and weekends, and more than 01/02/03 at ALL times. no telco allows them in paid for phone packages.

Regards

I have received the following reply; -

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your follow up email about 0871 and 0844.

There are a couple of uses of 0871 by independent production companies and we will be reviewing this in the light of what PhonePayPlus say when they take over the regulation of these numbers. On 0844, to my knowledge the uses are limited to the BBC Shop and TVLicencing. There are no plans to migrate additional numbers ot 0871 or 0844.

regards

Haven't PhonePayPlus started regulating 0871 yet?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:13pm

derrick wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:09pm:
Haven't PhonePayPlus started regulating 0871 yet?

No. There is a consultation on this (which ends on the same day as the 0870 one):

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/087prs/

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 5:45pm

Dave wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:13pm:
No. There is a consultation on this (which ends on the same day as the 0870 one):

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/087prs/

Ouch I see these consultations both end on Monday 16th June.  I thought it would be much later than that.  They normally run consultations for 10 weeks.  Indeed they are supposed to unless they can find a good reason to make them shorter.

I haven't seen any front banner ad on this website publicising the consultation or counting down the days to closure or any email from Daniel encouraging us to respond.

I know we all feel all consulted out with Ofcom and ICSTIS and that they never ever listen to what we say but it is still important to send something to show the public are discontented and that Ofcom are ignoring them.

Can Daniel get something out by email to all forum members by Thursday pointing out the closing date for responding is next Monday?  Also can a banner to an article with links and counting down be added today or tomorrow?

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 5:47pm

derrick wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
I have sent an email to various people at the BBC, and up to now have received 4 out of office replies, however I have just received this one from Michael Stock; -

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to Tim Davie which has been passed to me for reply. 

I note your concerns about the trail promoting our High Definition service and reference to call charges.  Thank you for highlighting this error regarding the reference to the call charges. This has now been corrected and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. As you point out, the BT website gives the landline costs as Daytime 6ppm, Evening 1.5ppm, plus a 6p set up fee.

You may like to know that over the summer the BBC will be moving all our 0870 numbers to the new 0370 numbers which cost no more than to 01 and 02 geographic numbers and are included in call discount plans for calls from both landline and mobiles which will mean that our audience can call the BBC for the lowest cost.

Regards,

Michael Stock Head of Business & Partnerships
BBC Marketing, Communications & Audiences

Michael Stock is the guy who wrote the paper considered and passed by the BBC Board recommending the changes so he is obviously best placed to reply on this subject.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 5:51pm

derrick wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 12:12pm:
The BBC genuine error?

Genuine misinformation if you ask me, they have a track record for it!

Are you going soft on the BBC Dave?  Roll Eyes

I totally agree with you Derrick.

Capita, who run the BBC Information call centre, have put out some of the most despicable lies ever seen over the last few years to justify the use of 084/7 and they continued with all the rubbish about it making fair because everyone now pays the same price wherever they are in the UK, even years after BT Standard and Local Calls were scrapped in 2004.

The big problem is that the BBC uses too many commercial third party suppliers and doesn't set proper rules on things like phone numbers and what is acceptable in its contracts with them.  I am disturbed to hear the BBC now still thinks it will still have some numbers that will not begin 03 including the licence fee information line.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge