Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newcastle Council describing 03 call as local rate (Read 15,764 times)
oldharryrocks

Newcastle Council describing 03 call as local rate
Aug 12th, 2008 at 9:26am

Edited:

Just as most users/supplier of 0845 have been educated that they are not local rate calls.
Newcastle Council have started to describe 03 calls as local rate. Huh

"What do calls cost?
The new ‘0300’ number – 0300 1000 101 – has been created specifically for public services to use to make sure customers are not charged too much when calling for help or information.  It’s likely you will see more ‘0300’ numbers used for other public services soon.

Calls are charged at your local rate, which means the cost of the call may differ depending on the contract you have with your telephone supplier.

If you are unsure, you can check this with your supplier and they will tell you how much you pay for local calls, if you pay at all."

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/nhfaqs
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:29am by Dave »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Re: Newcastle Council describing 03 call as local
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:17pm

This one needs nipping in the bud.  Why does "local rate" still seem so attractive to marketing types??

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 1:53pm

irrelevant wrote on Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:17pm:
This one needs nipping in the bud.  Why does "local rate" still seem so attractive to marketing types??

... because it is friendly, familiar and sounds like the cheapest rate going.

I have long been trying to think of a new simple suitable replacement to describe the rate that applies to 03. "No more that the rate for calls to geographic numbers (remember these are all the same now, there is no difference between local and national), and this also applies if geographic calls are free or cheap in an inclusive package, and yes it does apply to mobiles as well as landlines" is a bit ugly!

The lady who composed the FAQ answer at Newcastle CC has the same problem, so can we P L E A S E have some useful suggestions.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 4:11pm

uk rate?

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:26pm

"same as calling next-door" ?

(Which reminds me of a mate when I was younger, living in the middle of nowhere (Norfolk) whom had two phone lines in his room, which due to lack of cabling in the area, were on different telephone exchanges.  Apparently it was an "a" rate [regional] call between them, not even a local call..)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:49pm

I think it's important that service providers using 03xx numbers have an accompanying price message alongside the number, where space permits. This is because people may be suspicious of a new type of number and be unsure of price. Even if pricing information is given, it should be stated that this extends to mobiles as people may think that it doesn't cover mobile providers.

When I say "pricing information", I am not talking x p/min, but a description of the call cost. Ofcom has termed them "UK-wide numbers", but I'm not convinced that this is meaningful.

I propose that they should be referred to as "Standard landline rate."

My suggested statement:

Calls are charged at standard landline rate. Any inclusive minutes or tariff which applies to 01/02 numbers will cover 03xx calls as well. These rules apply to all landline and mobile telephone providers.

Perhaps the Central Office of Information could put this in its guidance.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:04pm

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:49pm:
I propose that they should be referred to as "Standard landline rate."

My suggested statement:

Calls are charged at standard landline rate. Any inclusive minutes or tariff which applies to 01/02 numbers will cover 03xx calls as well. These rules apply to all landline and mobile telephone providers.

Perhaps the Central Office of Information could put this in its guidance.

Brilliant, Dave. Go for it.
Perhaps Ofcom could adopt it as well?   Cry
Pause while I search for flying pig and h*ll freezing over smileys.
Why so cynical you ask? You are reading this site and still ask?
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:05pm by Tanllan »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:43pm

Tanllan wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:04pm:
Brilliant, Dave. Go for it.

Dave offers far and away the best suggestion I have ever seen.

The good people of Sunderland and Newcastle Councils have been advised to view this thread. They may wish to take note.

Other suggestions, and other crawling endorsements of the comments of our esteemed moderator, are welcome.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:10am

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:49pm:
My suggested statement:

In the final sentence, "rules" could be substituted with "regulations".

Or the last sentence could be replaced with "All landline and mobile telephone providers must comply with these regulations".

Essentially, I'm thinking we need to make it crystal clear that it's an obligatory regulation rather than a voluntary "code". At the same time it must be kept friendly and not resemble some legal mumbo jumbo.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:15am by Dave »  

IP Logged

rinfrance

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:52am

Frankly as we now get all normal numbers free, we have blocked all non normal numbers so in the event of it being a premium rate number we either dont bother, (police, change bank, use the "wrong" number and so on) or just write a letter and then the agency concerned is forced to respond in writing. we are also getting a 08 series number with a 1 time payment of £50 to give to people like council etc.
  Remember then that 1/ you need to keep them hanging on for as long as possible.
                                2/ have an answer phone with a long message.
  These people will then get the hint.
   If the organisation does not list the number correctlty as a premium rate number, and that fact or the rate is supposed to be listed, then you may have a case against them for advertising standards as you are now BUYING services. You may find your local advertising standards is also on rip off numbers inc. so writing will encourage them to respond.
  If you want some fun, then get Skype out Europe and give them a for example Australian phone number that rings home.
  We live in France and have the same problem, so we now give all these type organisations a UK Skype number with a UK premium rate code. Oh boy does that focus them.

IP Logged

bigdog

Don't argue with the Bigdog
as the Bigdog is right

Staffs
Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:32pm

I have spoken with BT and Orange who have confirmed 03 numbers will come out out your agreed call package at no charge!!  Hip Hip  Staffs Police are in the process of changing their 0845 to an 03 number.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 3:54pm

rinfrance wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:52am:
we are also getting a 08 series number with a 1 time payment of £50 to give to people like council etc.
 Remember then that 1/ you need to keep them hanging on for as long as possible.
                                2/ have an answer phone with a long message.
 These people will then get the hint.
Quote:
 If you want some fun, then get Skype out Europe and give them a for example Australian phone number that rings home.
 We live in France and have the same problem, so we now give all these type organisations a UK Skype number with a UK premium rate code. Oh boy does that focus them. 

you might be interested in a blog entry I wrote just the other day ... I automatically tell incoming anonymous callers to use an 07017 number.. Chosen specifically to penalise them. (up to 33p/min on BT). Just getting a foreign number is no guarantee that it will cost them anything - e.g. I can call Australia for free from here...    and £50 for an 08???  Unless it's an 0800, you should be able to get one for free!!!  See the link in my blog entry for just one supplier.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 3:54pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge