Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dial-up ISPs with geographical numbers (Read 48,783 times)
PhilUp

Re: land lines for ISPs
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 7:29pm

Hi

I have also had this problem with Eidos.  As far as I am concerned I just want any free pay as you go dial up (not broadband / ISDN) where I can sign up & use the landline.

Ideally I want to connect to the internet this way so I can prefix the number, allowing me free access to dial up also (As non Geo numbers are not inc in free calls).

Any suggestions?

Phil

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 1:34am

I'm a support engineer and I charge £250 per day (or part of) plus travel costs, for Technical Support problems (which this falls under  Roll Eyes)
I have an 09xx number that I commisioned especially for this purpose, which charges at a slightly lower rate (but not much) so if anyone's still interested, please send me a message and I will let you know it.   Wink

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 8:33pm

PhilUp wrote on Nov 2nd, 2004 at 7:29pm:
I have also had this problem with Eidos.  As far as I am concerned I just want any free pay as you go dial up (not broadband / ISDN) where I can sign up & use the landline.

Ideally I want to connect to the internet this way so I can prefix the number, allowing me free access to dial up also (As non Geo numbers are not inc in free calls).

As far as I'm concerned, dial-up internet is the one area where the use of 0845 is justified. The small amount of revenue that this generates for ISPs pays for the connection - and bandwidth has to be paid for somehow, after all. 0845 access is perfect for light internet users who go online in the evening or at weekends.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2006 at 6:58pm by Dave »  
IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #18 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 9:07am

jrawie, How about people who use it mainly during the daytime. It's not reasonable, as far as I'm concerned, to pay 4ppm,
£2.40 per hr. for Pay as you Go. At 2hrs. per day for only 5 days translates into £24 a wk. that's £96 a month. I assume that's why users go on an unlimited monthly contract basis, even for light users.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2004 at 9:11am by robinp »  

robinp

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 3:04pm

Robin

As Jonathan points out,
there ain't no such thing as a Free Lunch
! The cost of supplying the server connection, adequate bandwidth, Free webspace, Free email account(s) & Free Webmail, costs the ISP money to provide. Then people start moaning about having to pay for Tech Support on an 087x/090x line. ISP's ALWAYS show lists of FAQ's covering practically every problem you're likely to have, but people don't think to read them before calling the premium rate number. Emails cost practically nothing but there's still the Techies' time to analyse the problem & reply.

I've already stated my charges and you'd be surprised at the number of silly questions I STILL get asked, or how many people that still make basic mistakes, (like not backing up their data or their system) even though they've been warned.
Quote:
0845 access is perfect for light internet users who go online in the evening or at weekends.
If you use it a lot in the daytime, switch to one of the cheap daytime ISP packages e.g. Tesco Daytime £5.99
Any more time than that and there are plenty of ANYTIME packages to choose from at reasonable prices.
I hope that answers your last question adequately.    Smiley

I have some 10 ISP's, most of which I can access email, etc. from my ADSL account, but a couple still require logging on with a modem (& 0845 numbers) at regular intervals. Also it's always handy having other accounts, just for that one occasion your main server is down & you have an urgent email to send/receive or website to check.

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 9:23am

Hi DaveM, I have just been given a new Bush TV Internet STB with all the accessories. Bush only offers Pay As You Go via an 0845 no. Daniel must have had one at one time, because he put me onto the Bush User Group's website forum on which his name was mentioned on one of the posts. On one of the threads they explain how to reconfigure the box so as to connect with another ISP. But I first have to find one with an unlimited-type contract which is acceptable to this system, and is also available over my NTL phone line. After I find one I can register their details on the STB to reconfigure it. Then I can connect it to a printer which my NTL TV Internet cable STB wont allow for. Do you remember Dave that I told you about this problem that I have, because that's how I access the internet at the moment. I understand what you said in your previous posting, actually I wasn't so much referring to using 0845 to log on initially or at regular intervals, rather a continual PAYG usage, which would be too expensive for me using my previous hypothetical £96 per month. Tescos wont work on my present operating system, So I imagine it won't work on Bush's either. Thanks anyway Dave.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004 at 9:33am by robinp »  

robinp

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 12:52am

The claranet numbers listed above are obsolete for several weeks, but it is possible to find plenty more on their website.

It's also possible to ring customer services on a London number instead of 0845

IP Logged

Wally

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 11:24pm

I have tried most of the numbers marked with a # and they seem constantly engaged on my landline. If, however, I then dial up on my mobile the number rings and answers, whilst my landline is still giving me an engaged tone! Any ideas?

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 2:13am

Sorry but cannot explain that one. It must be your telephone provider that's blocking them though I can't think why they should.

I tested them all from my phone, even prefixing them with 141 to block my number, but they all worked fine. Never tried logging on as that may then have been a problem. Most of them require the 1470 prefix to verify your number/account if you normally have it blocked.

IP Logged

Wally

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 6:25am

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I get this problem when I dial using the prefix 18866. I cannot understand it either. It was only when the line seemed constantly engaged that I got a bit suspicious and tried on my mobile whilst the landline was still engaged ???

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 2:44pm

I suspect 18866 have identified and blocked many of these. There was some discussion on MSE a while back; a popular idea, but people seem to have had the same results as you.

IP Logged

Wally

Reply #26 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 12:35am

The thing is, though, I have rang on the landline using 18866 and it has been fine, ie. I get the handshake tones, but not when the computer is connected ???

IP Logged

vafe

Reply #27 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 6:55pm

Would someone explain how you get hooked up witha ISP and how you change the no. to a geog. one.

Thanks

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #28 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 11:09pm

I could tell you . . . but then I would have to kill you !!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 9:54am

I've heard that some tel. companies will just charge for the ISP geo number instead of allowing it on the free inclusive package... can anyone confirm this?    Undecided 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge