Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Guide to Finding Alternative Numbers (Read 370,028 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Guide to Finding Alternative Numbers
Aug 16th, 2004 at 5:27pm

Useful Information & Say no to 0870! Hot Topics
» Guide to Finding Alternative Numbers

Guide to Finding Alternative Numbers

There's quite a few people posting in the Geographical Requests section requesting numbers that either exist in the listings or don't give any information on the company they are requesting for. We have to do some spade work that the poster should have done, such as finding the address.

To find a number follow these steps:

1. Check the Say no to 0870 database
Check the database of alternative numbers by clicking ...Search to find an alternative number on the home page. From there, you can either search by company name or non-geographical number. Entering a partial company name is always best. If you get too many results, either enter more of the name or a different word from the name.

Numbers in the top table (entitled Main Database) have been verified by us. Those in the table with the blue background have not been verified. That said, there is always the possibility that numbers change anyway and the best way to report incorrect numbers, whether verified or unverified, is to post a message in the Geographical Requests section of the forum.

2. Search the internet for a number
When I look for a number I usually use Google. Some tips for searching are as follows:
  • name of company and telephone dialing code, eg
    "direct line" 0113
  • post code and dialing code, eg
    "S12 3CD" 0114
  • if the name of the company is a common phrase, it's worth adding other terms, like 'insurance' or a location/street name, eg
    "direct line" insurance 0113
  • try the dialing code in international format, eg
    "direct line" "44 113"
    or
    "direct line" "44 0113"
  • don't just search UK pages, try selecting 'web' for worldwide search.
  • is the company/brand part of a bigger company? If so, try searching for them.
  • does the company have more than one site? Search the post and telephone codes of any sites you find.

Putting quotes in searches groups the words together. For example, a search for
direct line
(without quotes) will get different results to
"direct line"
(with quotes). Similarly when searching for post codes use quotes.

It is also worth looking at the Internet Archive. It provides snapshots of pages back to 1996. See Reply #6 below for more information.

Another thing to consider is if the company has changed its name or if it's a particular address or shop, then maybe it has been taken over. It may be that the new owners have kept the same telephone number.

3. Post a request
If you have no joy finding what you're looking for you can make a request on the forum here.

Before you do so, please search to see if the organisation has been talked about before.

Select Search Forums at the top of the page. I suggest you put one word of the company's name into the search field. If you get too many hits you may have to narrow it down by putting in more terms. I also suggest that you search only in Geographical Requests section and only subject titles (as opposed to within messages).

When posting a request give as much information as possible. Make the title of the thread the organisation/company's name. Include the following if you know it:
  • the non-geographical number you are looking for an alternative for
  • a full address including post code
  • website address
  • type of business
  • whether the company has changed its name or been bought out
  • in the case of a shop, for example, whether it has changed occupants and who used to be there
  • any other useful information you can think of

Adding a number to the database

Only add a number the database if you have found a geographical or freephone alternative!

If you have a geographical or freephone number, select ...Click here to add a new alternative number on the home page. Fill in the appropriate boxes and press 'Add Number'.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2011 at 2:35pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ˇ

Peterborough
Re: Guide to finding geographical numbers
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 1:24am

Thanks for that Dave. I agree that it was about time we clarified the method we go about it to the newbies & regular guests.
Still think that using the stick was a good idea !!

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 9:08am

Hi you'all,  Some good tips there. However Dave, since normally you wouldn't have a geographical dialling code, only a non-geo, it wouldn't help in a  search would it! I did a Google search on your example for "direct line insurance", with and without an 0845 in the search and couldn't find a geo no. anywhere. How do you find a geo dialling code of a company. Would you have to have their address or area code?
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2004 at 9:12am by robinp »  

robinp

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 4:52pm

If there's another geographical number on their website, such as fax, that would tell you the code.

Failing that, the address and post code come in useful. Look up the code in the Phone Book.

Remember that telephone dialing codes don't necessarily follow town boundaries. You may find that if you put the post code into Google you will find neighbouring businesses with an STD code.

You could also look up the post code on Multimap to find neighbouring towns.

The key is to use your initiative!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 9:54pm

Some companies change to a NGN and change their geographical number. For those, it's highly unlikely that a search of the internet will find the new geographical number.

Quite often you will find old pages which were written before the company changed to a NGN. Another source is old letterheads and other correspondance you may have.

Large companies have many lines, quite often with consecutive numbers. A clue to this would be finding several numbers all starting with the same prefix. Try ringing neighbouring numbers, you may find what you're looking for. This may mean dialing 50 or 100 numbers or more.

When you do this, bear in mind that minimum/connection calls charges will apply to each number which connects (answers), if you are not on an inclusive package. On BT Together Option 1 that is 5p in the day time (between 8am and 6pm) and 5.5p at evening and weekend.

When you find a number not listed on this site which works, make sure you add it to the listings.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 1:38pm

Continuing on from the point I made about companies with many lines with the same prefix, if you find one with a memorable number (eg ending 000, 555, 123 etc), it may well be the switchboard/reception. It is worth a call to that number rather than calling Joe Bloggs in marketing and asking to be put through to sales.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2004 at 1:39pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 5:26pm

One website that may be of use is:

http://www.archive.org/

This is the "Wayback machine", and is a site that regularly archives the whole web as it is. You can see what many sites looked like back to at least 1999. In many cases, this is before firms introduced 08 numbers, so you can see their old geographical number. Of course, the number may no longer be valid, but in some cases it will.

It isn't always easy to use. Some pages are missing, and links are often broken.

Just another tool in our armoury for finding numbers!

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 9:58am

I agree absolutely with your recommendations for improving the site Dave & DaveM. One small suggestion I have is that the position of the "Unverified Numbers" heading is put in a better position. When I started using the site as a beginner I didn't realise that the heading was right at the bottom of the page below the search facility because I couldn't see it!!!

robinp

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ˇ

Peterborough
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 12:35am

I won't make the unfair comment about you needing a bigger one - SCREEN that is ! I realise you're working with the restriction that a TV screen imposes.

I think that what you say is a fair comment. Hopefully Daniel will pick up on that & move it to a button further up the screen for those amongst us with bad eyesight, etc. & forced to work at Low Res (640x480)

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 9:35am

BE unfair DaveM----I NEED, I NEED!!!

robinp

IP Logged

n00n00

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 12:39am

Just wanted to add this site as an instant method of finding the geographic code for a town:

http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/section/tci/locator.shtml

Also a superb resource for finding out the cost of a call.

IP Logged

n00n00

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2004 at 1:53am

I heard once that you could somehow use an ISDN line to figure out geographic numbers. I don't actually have an ISDN line, but would be interested to know if this works and if so how.

thanks

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2004 at 11:33pm

Probably by dialling an 0870 or 08X etc number and looking at the Connected Line Identification.

Like CLI or Caller Display, but the other way round. Good practice would probably suppress the real or electric number and so not give the delivery number away, but....

IP Logged

islandman

uk
Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 4:29pm

The words "cart before the horse" come to mind. I've only just joined (sorry to say), and the first thing I did was to put a request for wanadoo's customer service regional number (not broadband), then I decide to open a few metophorical doors to see for myself what is happening within this site.

Only to discover this thread of guidence for newbies!. Whoops, sorry.

Y'know, I spend hours pouring over MSE now I guess I'll be here equally as regular. isandman

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 3:48pm

For companies with many outlets/branches, some are happy to provide geographical numbers. You could ring a branch which is listed in the database and request the geographical number for the one you wish to contact.

Tesco are one such company where each branch has geographical numbers of other branches. Tesco's head office isn't so helpful as they only give out 0845 numbers.

I've just verified the Going Places branch numbers by ringing one of the branches.

Remember to add the number to the database when you find it. Also, find the geographical number from online directories such as BT Directory Enquiries or Yell.

Put the location in the 'Other Info' field, ie in the form Town - Street/Locality.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge