Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cheapest 0870/0845 calls? (Read 51,791 times)
lily

Re: Cheapest 0870/0845 calls?
Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 10:52am

I just called 3U.  They tell me that 0845 numbers can no longer be dialled using their service, but that 0870s will be charged at 2p/min peak and 1p/min off-peak.

IP Logged

syscomms

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 4:19pm

About two weeks ago I faxed to my MP (Michael Mates) and asked him to arrange for Government Departments to release the "real" numbers to the public.  He has assured me that he has contacted the appropriate Minister with my request.  Hopefully the Government will issue "real" numbers soon.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 5:12pm

Quote:
About two weeks ago I faxed to my MP (Michael Mates) and asked him to arrange for Government Departments to release the "real" numbers to the public.  He has assured me that he has contacted the appropriate Minister with my request.  Hopefully the Government will issue "real" numbers soon.

I did similar (using the aptly-named faxyourmp.com site) - complaining more generally about 0870 numbers.  I got a reply but, frankly, it was a typical 'holding' letter saying my complaint was being passed to 'the appropriate department' (yeah, fat chance).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 10:33am

There is a very good reason that 3U have disallowed 0845 calls which is that these numbers can be used for dialup internet so people could potentially connect for hours at a time although since their rate is only 2p against BT's 3p in the daytime, and as nearly everyone is now on either ADSL or 0808 subscription dialup, I can't see they are taking that much of a risk.

But I think that at present there are ways to route calls back into the uk from overseas for an 0870 that mean they get charged to the phone company the same as a geographic but that this is impossible for 0845 again due to their ISP usage.

However since Call18866 are such an innovative lot (1p for geographic calls no matter how long 24/7) and as they have been forced to suddenly charge more than BT for 0870 (i.e. we would really much rather not carry this call for you at all) I can't believe that 3U can sustain this for long or know what they are doing.

What I want to know though is why is there no article anywhere on line that exposes the whole 0870 NTS number termination regime and why there is no price competition in routing these calls??  I know that 0870's revenue share with the called company at up to 3p per minute but surely this gives another 4.5p per minute to play with compared to the 1p flat charged by 18866 for geographic calls?

I believe that 0870s are in fact also a massive revenue defender for BT who earn 3p a minute when one of these numbers are called compared to mere fractions of a penny for any other call.  The infuriating thing is that no one has ever been prepared to discuss why there is no competition in the price of calling the numbers and sadly 18866 do not have a phone number to call and ask this question to.

I believe that BT shot themselves in the foot big time when they made Option 1 compulsory as a minimum for their customers.  I also think Ofcom may have had a secret agenda in mysteriously agreeing to this change and I believe it is now just a matter of time until BT are forced to cut the cost of 0870 calls to 3p per minute and reduce the revenue shares to the called parties accordingly.  I still don't think you will then be able to better this new 3p rate through any third party phone providers and I bet 0870s will still be excluded from inclusive callling plans.

IP Logged

Locked-out

Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 2:20pm

Hi Non-geographical man,

Good points, but

Quote: " What I want to know though is why is there no article anywhere on line that exposes the whole 0870 NTS number termination regime and why there is no price competition in routing these calls??"

There is exactly that already on-line, and has been for quite a while now. You will find it spelt out on
http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf

Quote: "I believe that 0870s are in fact also a massive revenue defender for BT who earn 3p a minute when one of these numbers are called compared to mere fractions of a penny for any other call.  The infuriating thing is that no one has ever been prepared to discuss why there is no competition in the price of calling the numbers and sadly 18866 do not have a phone number to call and ask this question to." 

This is also all discussed on  http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf , and particularly is stated to Ofcom in the response templates there for your use. This is exactly why BT started it all. 

Get those responses in to Ofcom. Use http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf ; and make it easier for yourselves!!
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004 at 2:23pm by Locked-out »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 3:57pm

Quote:
Hi Non-geographical man,

Good points, but

There is exactly that already on-line, and has been for quite a while now. You will find it spelt out on
http://www.freeweb.telco4u.net/rachelf

OK that's interesting but why is this not listed at all by Google under a uk search for 0870 and ripoff?  Or do BT have a spy at Google too that allows them to scupper any attempts to criticise them?

Anyhow I have sent my extensive thoughts on this matter to the researcher guy at the BBC and will also separately be outlining to him why a local authority are told that they have no choice but to use an 0845 number for a telephone based credit card payments number.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004 at 3:58pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Locked-out

Reply #21 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 1:24am

Hi NonGeographical man,

The reason has two parts I believe. Firstly Google is in fact the very worst search engine on the web, if you want to find information which is actually there. (I could justify that to you if you have the time.) It is the most successful search engine at making MONEY and it does this by providing what the advertisers want you to see, rather than what you are actually searching for. It uses complex algorithms which distort truth and reality to deliver commercially-sponsored entries first. It also has a number of restricting (and excluding) rules for non-commercial sites. One for example is if you have two iterrations of a non-commercial (non-Google sponsored) site it tends to exclude both sites.

Secondly, it carries a lot of advertising for 0870 sellers etc. The Tripod site used to come up well on the first page of Google. Over the last 2 weeks it has been removed! I suspect that the advertisers of 0870 services etc. may have complained to Google. This all shows that the campaign is working and causing these people to run-scared. You need to understand that this scam has become a billions of pound a year business with quasi-criminal elements having a vested interest. So I think it has been zapped on Google. The only search on Google which any longer delivers either of the sites on the first page is "0870abuse" with no space. It also comes up on the 2nd page for "0870 racket". It looks like they forgot to zap those two!

On the other hand, searches on Altavista, Yahoo, WebCrawler, MSN and most other major search engines still come up well;  to illustrate the point with just 4.

Altavista: 

0870 abuse  : 1st
0870 racket  :1st
0870 scam  :1st
0870 rip off  : 1st
0870 rip-off  : 1st
0870 scandal:  1st

Yahoo: 

0870 abuse  : 1st & 2nd
0870 racket  :1st
0870 scam  :1st  & 2nd

WebCrawler:

0870 abuse  : 5th
0870 racket  : 2nd

MSN:

0870 abuse  : 1st
"0870 racket"  :1st
"0870 scandal" :  1st 

I hope that illustrates the point?

IP Logged

Locked-out

Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 5:55pm

I've also discovered today that Google have forgotten to zap some other possibilities, and the following still come up with the campaign site on the first page of a Google search for UK sites:

"0870, 0845 scam" :  1st

"scam of 0870, 0845"

"scam with 0870".

I suggest that everyone possible should protest to Google about the removal of the campaign sites from their listings for the apparent reason of advertiser's complaints against them !

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 10:59pm

On the uk.telecom news group there has been a recent discussion suggesting that, although 3U customers cannot make 0845 calls via the usual 12911 prefix code, they can do it by using the 1664 prefix instead. The rates charged are 3U's normal 2/1/1p tariff.

Has anyone tried it?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 11:15am

Quote:
On the uk.telecom news group there has been a recent discussion suggesting that, although 3U customers cannot make 0845 calls via the usual 12911 prefix code, they can do it by using the 1664 prefix instead. The rates charged are 3U's normal 2/1/1p tariff.

Has anyone tried it?

Interesting but what exactly is the 1664 access code for?  If this for a secondary service of 3U?

I had a call from a German lady at 3U this morning and she was actually in  Germany even though I had left my message on the uk operation's voicemail.  So Ithink this tells you how small their uk presence currently is.

She said 0870 numbers are definitely 2p a minute.

Two points to make here:-

1) has anybody had their first invoice from 3U confirming 0870 calls are only 2p per minute

2) Please nobody else ring 3U to ask if 0870 numbers are 2p a minute as otherwise they are bound to realise something is wrong, investigate and change their pricing policy.  As they are primarily a German company they probably haven't twigged the significance of 0870 as an access number yet or how large the call volumes are potentially likely to be.

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:10pm

1664 is Equitalk's prefix number - see www.equitalk.co.uk

I gather 3U uses the same carrier as Equitalk (possibly MCI Worldcom?) and so 3U customers can apparently use the 1664 code as well (and are charged at 3U rates).

On your second point, I haven't received my first 3U bill yet so can't confirm their 0870/0845 rates (like you, I've had many verbal and email assurances).

However, so many people have already asked them about the 0870 tariff issue that I can't believe they haven't twigged the anomaly yet.

Maybe as long as the percentage of 0870 calls is small compared to the total call traffic they are happy to leave it as a loss leader? It certainly enables them to have a nice simple tariff scheme (2/1/1p for all uk calls).

IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:14pm

I can confirm - as I have had the bill in recently - that 3U Telecom 12911 provide 0870 numbers at 0.017p per minute + VAT = 2p per minute. However, I find the sound quality terrible and connections take a while to get through as your call 'boomerangs' around the world. 3U have confirmed to be that there are problems accessing 0845 numbers via access code 12911 - however, they have arranged for an alternative access code 0f 1664 to be used for 0845 numbers at the agreed rate and the sound quality is good. I am also using the 1664 access code for 0870 numbers in order to get the better sound but I have no way of knowing the cost of such calls.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:16pm

Quote:
1664 is Equitalk's prefix number - see www.equitalk.co.uk
Maybe as long as the percentage of 0870 calls is small compared to the total call traffic they are happy to leave it as a loss leader? It certainly enables them to have a nice simple tariff scheme (2/1/1p for all uk calls).  

It seems strange then that call18866 cannot afford to do this since most people here really are already likely to be using call18866 for all their other uk calls.

Also does anyone know why 18866 and 1899 do not offer CPS as an option.  Presumably routing a call using CPS does add a further fixed cost for every call routed?

Lastly I think the problem for 3U is that most people who are price sensitive enough to have found them will only use them for 0870 calls and will use 18866 for everything else.

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 9:56pm

Quote:
It seems strange then that call18866 cannot afford to do this since most people here really are already likely to be using call18866 for all their other uk calls.

They probably could (as could BT etc) but it all comes down to marketing strategy in the end, surely?

Regarding your last point, whilst there will always be those who 'cherry pick' the best tariff for each call (with or without the use of a dialler), surely 3U and others don't need to worry as most customers (the vast majority) simply want a package that gives them good value on their calls overall - they don't want to have to worry about the complexities of dialling different prefix codes for different numbers at different times of the day/week?

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #29 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 5:23pm

??? To those who know!!

Perhaps a little behind the times but could someone tell me what "CPS" means?

Being pretty new to this area of moneysaving I still have mild suspicions ( call me a synic if you like) but if 18866 collect the £0.50 (my total months usage) from my credit card dosn't it become uneconomical?

Further, a relative of mine works in authority at a large Uni & expressed interest in these services. Am I right in assuming that greater turnover would be welcomed by the suppliers?

Tony

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge