Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cheapest 0870/0845 calls? (Read 51,778 times)
Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: Cheapest 0870/0845 calls?
Reply #30 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 5:34pm

Carrier Pre Selection, whereby your line provider, e.g. BT, sets your line so that your calls are routed via your alternative provider of choice without your having to dial any access code.

Be very wary of terms and conditions (T&C), like notice of cancellation.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 1:33am

Quote:
??? To those who know!!
Being pretty new to this area of moneysaving I still have mild suspicions ( call me a synic if you like) but if 18866 collect the £0.50 (my total months usage) from my credit card dosn't it become uneconomical?

Well it is not uneconomical to you for them to collect 50p but it is uneconomical for them as they will have to pay a much higher percentage fee or possibly a flat minimum fee on collecting such a small amount.

That is why Call18866 does not bother to bill your credit card in a month where your balance has not reached £5

I trust Call18866 implicity with the accuracy of their billing and for not charging me for calls that I dial but that are not answered.  I know this is so by checking my online bill for these calls as a test only a minute or two afterwards.

I only wish I could say the same of TalkTalk who I currently have CPS with but am about to switch away from in favour of 3U.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 1:39am

Quote:
Carrier Pre Selection, whereby your line provider, e.g. BT, sets your line so that your calls are routed via your alternative provider of choice without your having to dial any access code.

Be very wary of terms and conditions (T&C), like notice of cancellation.

Your current CPS supplier gets cancelled automatically by informing a new supplier that you wish to move CPS to them.

Theoretically you can have different CPS carriers for local, national and international calls but only 3U currently seem to support this and the others only offer CPS for All Calls.

As a last resort you can always get rid of your current CPS supplier by telling BT you wish to go back to them.  But speaking personally I would rather shower in ice cold water and beat myself on the back for a week with birch twigs than ever help the BT PR machine by letting myself become one of the customers who they will claim has just returned to them that month. Shocked

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #33 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 1:03pm

Quote:
I can confirm - as I have had the bill in recently - that 3U Telecom 12911 provide 0870 numbers at 0.017p per minute + VAT = 2p per minute.

If that's the case, could this be added to the Cheapest Calls page http://www.saynoto0870.com/calls.php (although it doesn't seem to have been updated recently).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 1:23pm

I think the original poster meant to say the cost of 0870 calls with 3U is 1.7p per minute + VAT which comes out at almost exactly 2p per minute.

I expect they will stop the offer if they find people like us are only making 0870 calls with them and so losing them money as a result.

They have probably decided to give it a go for a while as a new market entrant to grow their customer base but when they get too many customers calling mainly 0870 and it is costing them too much money they will have to stop.

Unless of course they have found a way to route calls to 0870 numbers at the same price as geographic calls that not even call18866 has so far managed to discover.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #35 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 2:59pm

It doesn't matter. The "cheapest calls" page should contain the cheapest services as they are now. If another day the service is withdrawn, the page can be updated.

Someone suggested that 3U are based in Germany, and route their calls around the world. I still haven't seen for definite an explanation of how +44 870 calls are charged from various countries. It's hard to believe they can be cheap, thanks to the revenue sharing.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 3:11pm

Quote:
It doesn't matter. The "cheapest calls" page should contain the cheapest services as they are now. If another day the service is withdrawn, the page can be updated.

Someone suggested that 3U are based in Germany, and route their calls around the world. I still haven't seen for definite an explanation of how +44 870 calls are charged from various countries. It's hard to believe they can be cheap, thanks to the revenue sharing.

All 3U need to do is to find a telecoms call carrier somewhere in the world who for reasons of simplicity or stupidity do not charge 3U differently for 0870 calls even though it costs that company more to terminate an 0870 call than it would to a uk geographic number.

The same thing happened for a while on international mobile calls for some years where the customer paid no more to make the call, even though the company terminating the call was definitely charging telecoms carriers a higher amount.

But there again the supidity on this matter could well lie back at 3U or it could be a cunning tactic to capture lots of new customer leads before then dramatically rasing their prices for 0870 calls.

IP Logged

shaunhoward

Reply #37 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 9:46pm

3U bills are send from Germany but the invoice inside requests payment be sent to their London address.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 10:20pm

Quote:
3U bills are send from Germany but the invoice inside requests payment be sent to their London address.

Isn't it possible to pay them by direct debit?  I would hate to have to send a cheque every month.

The fact that 3U are German does fill me with a lot more confidence about their reliability and long term commitment to the UK market place than if they were an American owned telecoms company!

IP Logged

Pandaman

Reply #39 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 6:02am

Hah! Just came across this thread and guess what - the links to this telecoms Company are all broken, I guess they were making a loss after all LOL. It seems they no longer exist.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #40 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 11:42am

Yes it seems their site is no longer there. Is there anyone who actually managed to register as a customer of theirs who knows whether they have collapsed?

Hardly surprising if so. They must have been losing money with 0845 and 0870 at those prices. That's what we concluded in the first place.

It was a bit like the beginning of these scams. Lots of mobile operators and others did not realise they were losing money on these calls because of the Premiums to be paid. As they eventually realised this they withdrew them from their inclusive monthly packages!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:26pm

Quote:
Hah! Just came across this thread and guess what - the links to this telecoms Company are all broken, I guess they were making a loss after all LOL. It seems they no longer exist.

I just tried their sites and had no problem with either www.3utelecom.co.uk or www.3utelecom.com  Both sites came up fine.  I think jumping to the conclusion that a company is bust because its website is down for a few hours is a bit hasty.  On that basis on Tuesday this week you would definitely have concluded that Mole Valley District Council had gone out of business!

Their main website says that their motto is "We are different.  We are fair".  A motto which I don't think anyone could suggest was true of BT.

I still don't know why they can't sort out the direct debits though.  If this was two years ago I would make the effort to use their service but now thanks to www.saynoto0870.com I only need to call an 0870 number may be once a month rather than once a day.

The main one I have so far found no way around is TopUpTv customer services.  Does anyone know a geographic number for this?
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:50pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:30pm

Quote:
It was a bit like the beginning of these scams. Lots of mobile operators and others did not realise they were losing money on these calls because of the Premiums to be paid. As they eventually realised this they withdrew them from their inclusive monthly packages!

My guiding light is really www.call18866.co.uk who clearly know what they are doing and how to run a budget telecoms business.

If they can't offer a better price than 9p per minute to 0870 and still make money then my suggestion would be that probably nobody can.  I suspect that with 3u they can absorb the cost and unless and until they offer direct debit and online signup that does not require a signature and a fax of your last BT bill they are unlikely to acquire many uk customers.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #43 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 5:20pm

I agree NGM, if 18866 can't do NGNs any cheaper and remain solvent then no co. can at present!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge